PDA

View Full Version : Hispanics vanishing from Alabama schools

Thunderknuckles
09-30-2011, 05:36 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-30/alabama-immigration/50619602/1

(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-30/alabama-immigration/50619602/1)"Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration."

Just as I suspected. Once you remove all of the illegals from the classroom the issues of overcrowding and under funding start to diminish.
Now, if we can just do the same thing here in California, our children might enjoy a better education and we could justify a property tax break....

....I'm dreaming, I know.

chloe
09-30-2011, 05:41 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-30/alabama-immigration/50619602/1

(http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-09-30/alabama-immigration/50619602/1)"Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration."

Just as I suspected. Once you remove all of the illegals from the classroom the issues of overcrowding and under funding start to diminish.
Now, if we can just do the same thing here in California, our children might enjoy a better education and we could justify a property tax break....

you will prolly win the lottery before that happens in california:laugh2:

logroller
10-01-2011, 12:57 AM

More of nightmare really.

But Gov. Jerry Brown is now considering whether to sign landmark legislation that would extend state financial aid to illegal immigrants who are college students. And that makes Lewis anxious..."The issue is not students who are undocumented through no fault of their own wanting an education," said Lewis, president of the Berkeley College Republicans club. "The problem is that the public dollars are not there to meet the needs of even [legal] California residents."
http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/25/local/la-me-student-aid-20110925

B (http://articles.latimes.com/2011/sep/25/local/la-me-student-aid-20110925)erkeley College Republicans club...talk about a minority group.:laugh:

Thunderknuckles
10-01-2011, 10:01 AM
Brown has been waiting as long as he can to decide on that legislation. I'll give him credit for that because he knows it's a stinker. The legislation is actually comprised of two parts. The first part grants access to private funding for illegal students. He already signed off on that one weeks ago and I can't really gripe too much about that one because we are talking about private money. The second part deals with granting access to public, taxpayer funded dollars. That one I and many other Californians have a real issue with and for good reason. American citizens would now have to compete with illegal aliens for limited grant money. That's just insane. Brown knows it, hence the stalling. Even so I fear he will sign off on that one as well. We shall see what happens.

In the meantime you have all of the various Latino groups throwing the race card at anyone who does not support this legislation...

red states rule
10-01-2011, 10:04 AM
In the meantime you have all of the various Latino groups throwing the race card at anyone who does not support this legislation...

Hell, the White House can give classes on how to that

Anytime anyone opposes a left wing idea or belief- you will be tagged a racist. It is all the left has left to defend their failed policies

We have been told for decades how CA leads the way in liberalism, and we now see the end results of liberal policies

Little-Acorn
10-01-2011, 12:27 PM
Just as the sunrise follows the sunset... announce that you're actually going to start enforcing the law, and people who have been breaking it suddenly become a lot scarcer.

As I said in the title, I doubt that Hispanic students (all of them) are vanishing from the schools. Only the ones who are violating U.S. immigration laws. Whether at the behest of their parents or otherwise.

I've often wondered: How did the parents of thse kids they brought across the border at such young ages, intend to educate their own kids, knowing it was illegal for them to be in the U.S. and so they might be caught and deported? What were those parents' plans for their kids in such an event?

And why is it suddenly the **U.S. Government's** fault that the kids aren't getting the education they need? Isn't that the parents' fault in the first place?

Next, Alabama (among other states, like ALL of them) needs to announce that it will do periodic checks of people who have jobs in the state, checking on their immigration status. Or that they will do regular E-verify checks, or etc.

Abuse the U.S. laws enough, and it's only a matter of time before the U.S. (or in this case, at least one state) starts crackinng down.

And sure enough, the results are predictable.

I especially loved the last line quoted, from the school supervisor trying to talk the illegal alien kids into coming back (highlighted below). Hilarious! I'm sure his audience will believe him! :D

-------------------------------------------------------------

http://news.yahoo.com/hispanic-students-vanish-alabama-schools-184555038.html

Hispanic students vanish from Alabama schools
By JAY REEVES - Associated Press | AP – 18 hrs ago...

BIRMINGHAM, Alabama (AP) — Hispanic students have started vanishing from Alabama public schools in the wake of a court ruling that upheld the state's tough new law cracking down on illegal immigration.

Education officials say scores of immigrant families have withdrawn their children from classes or kept them home this week, afraid that sending the kids to school would draw attention from authorities.

There are no precise statewide numbers. But several districts with large immigrant enrollments — from small towns to large urban districts — reported a sudden exodus of children of Hispanic parents, some of whom told officials they planned to leave the state to avoid trouble with the law, which requires schools to check students' immigration status.

The anxiety has become so intense that the superintendent in one of the state's largest cities, Huntsville, went on a Spanish-language television show Thursday to try to calm widespread worries.

"In the case of this law, our students do not have anything to fear," Casey Wardynski said in halting Spanish. He urged families to send students to class and explained that the state is only trying to compile statistics.

(full text of the article can be read at the above URL)

darin
10-01-2011, 01:09 PM
merged.

Gunny
10-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Brown has been waiting as long as he can to decide on that legislation. I'll give him credit for that because he knows it's a stinker. The legislation is actually comprised of two parts. The first part grants access to private funding for illegal students. He already signed off on that one weeks ago and I can't really gripe too much about that one because we are talking about private money. The second part deals with granting access to public, taxpayer funded dollars. That one I and many other Californians have a real issue with and for good reason. American citizens would now have to compete with illegal aliens for limited grant money. That's just insane. Brown knows it, hence the stalling. Even so I fear he will sign off on that one as well. We shall see what happens.

Sure you can gripe. Private money or not, they're STILL in violation of the law by their mere presence on US soil. Drunk drivers are privately funded as well, but I don't see anyone not enforcing THAT law.

red states rule
10-03-2011, 03:12 AM

I am still wondering what the downside to this is?

Besides the Dems losing the illegal immigrat vote in 2012

logroller
10-03-2011, 04:28 AM
I am still wondering what the downside to this is?

Besides the Dems losing the illegal immigrat vote in 2012

What?! Illegal immigrants-- as in aliens i.e. not citizens-- they're voting next year?

red states rule
10-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Break out the Kleenex folks. The NY Times ran a pity party story on illegals having to leave due to the state enforcing the law

The vanishing began Wednesday night, the most frightened families packing up their cars as soon as they heard the news.

They left behind mobile homes, sold fully furnished for a thousand dollars or even less. Or they just closed up and, in a gesture of optimism, left the keys with a neighbor. Dogs were fed one last time; if no home could be found, they were simply unleashed.

Two, 5, 10 years of living here, and then gone in a matter of days, to Tennessee, Illinois, Oregon, Florida, Arkansas, Mexico — who knows? Anywhere but Alabama.

The exodus of Hispanic immigrants began just hours after a federal judge in Birmingham upheld most provisions of the state’s far-reaching immigration (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/i/immigration_and_refugees/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) enforcement law.

The judge, Sharon Lovelace Blackburn, upheld the parts of the law allowing state and local police to ask for immigration papers during routine traffic stops, rendering most contracts with illegal immigrants unenforceable and requiring schools to ascertain the immigration status of children at registration time.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/04/us/after-ruling-hispanics-flee-an-alabama-town.html?_r=2&hp=&pagewanted=all

ConHog
10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Break out the Kleenex folks. The NY Times ran a pity party story on illegals having to leave due to the state enforcing the law

That is sad. On a related note. I bought a 2000 Toyota Celica GT for $1200 the other day from a Mexican who was given 12 days to get out of Arkansas.

red states rule
10-05-2011, 05:49 PM
That is sad. On a related note. I bought a 2000 Toyota Celica GT for $1200 the other day from a Mexican who was given 12 days to get out of Arkansas.

It is sad for Dems CH. They are losing votes when they need every vote they can get.

I am glad you got a good deal on the car CH!

ConHog
10-05-2011, 05:58 PM
It is sad for Dems CH. They are losing votes when they need every vote they can get.

I am glad you got a good deal on the car CH!

Dude, they are illegals. They aint voting. Okay I'm sure that there is SOME voter fraud going on, but it's not some rampant thing.

red states rule
10-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Dude, they are illegals. They aint voting. Okay I'm sure that there is SOME voter fraud going on, but it's not some rampant thing.

Con again allow me to tell to the truth

When libs pass something they usually have a long range goal. Yes ilegals ARE voting and here is how they are

Years ago Dems passed the Motor Voter bil where you register to vote when you get your state DL

Then libs pressed to get illegals their DL. They said it was for they safety of others.
Bull

Illegals register to vote when they get their Dl, and as far as I know, not one state bothers to chek if people are here in the country legally as they process those new voter enrollment forms

Case closed

Little-Acorn
10-05-2011, 06:09 PM

He wasn't given 12 days to get out of Arkansas.

He was told before he ever entered Arkansas, or the U.S. for that matter, that he had to go through certain permit procedures to enter the country. He didn't follow them. He knew from the get-go that he had to leave Arkansas... yet he came in anyway.

According to you, his troubles didn't start until he got caught, though.

He, and you, are wrong as usual.

Nice try at pretending his troubles came from any source but himself and his own actions, or pretending that he didn't know he had done something wrong.

ConHog
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM

He was told before he ever entered Arkansas, or the U.S. for that matter, that he had to go through certain permit procedures to enter the country. He didn't follow them. He knew from the get-go that he had to leave Arkansas... yet he came in anyway.

Nice try at pretending his troubles came from any source but himself and his own actions, or pretending that he didn't know he had done something wrong.

Psst. I was bein sarcastic. I am against illegal immigration.

ConHog
10-05-2011, 06:12 PM
Con again allow me to tell to the truth

When libs pass something they usually have a long range goal. Yes ilegals ARE voting and here is how they are

Years ago Dems passed the Motor Voter bil where you register to vote when you get your state DL

Then libs pressed to get illegals their DL. They said it was for they safety of others.
Bull

Illegals register to vote when they get their Dl, and as far as I know, not one state bothers to chek if people are here in the country legally as they process those new voter enrollment forms

Case closed

You're wrong brother. Google The Real ID Act.

red states rule
10-05-2011, 06:19 PM
You're wrong brother. Google The Real ID Act.

I stand by my post CH. Illegals are voting now in our elections

Here is one example

Congressman Gregg Harper (R-Miss., picture, left) is chairman of the House Administration Committee and he is concerned about the number of illegal aliens casting votes in elections around the country.
The latest report comes from a study in which as many as 5,000 foreign nationals voted in elections held in 2010 in the state of Colorado.

Gregg called the study’s findings “a disturbing wake-up call.”

The findings come from a study conducted by the Colorado Secretary of State Scott Gessler. Gessler told the committee that his department’s investigation revealed the names of nearly 12,000 non-citizens that were registered to vote in Colorado.

About 5,000 of those actually cast ballots in the 2010 elections. In that election, Democratic Senator Michael Bennet narrowly defeated Republican Ken Buck in the race to represent Colorado.

As was the case in a similar discovery in New Mexico (http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/6734-illegal-aliens-fraudulently-casting-ballots-in-new-mexico), the Colorado study cross-matched the state’s voter registration database the record of those applying for state driver’s licenses.

In his testimony before the Election’s subcommittee, Secretary Gessler admitted that, “we have a problem here. We don’t know the size of it,”

http://thenewamerican.com/usnews/immigration/6998-nearly-5000-illegals-may-have-voted-in-colorado-in-2010

Little-Acorn
10-05-2011, 06:30 PM

BTW, this whole four-alarm fire seems to have come from a line in the New York Times, who reported the number of Hispanic students missing from school in Alabama on one day recently.

The Sounds of Silence

Here's an education success story: The New York Times reports that the state of Alabama has achieved a 95% statewide attendance rate for Hispanic students. Only that's not how the Times reports that stat:

Statewide, 1,988 Hispanic students were absent on Friday, about 5 percent of the entire Hispanic population of the school system.

This is supposed to be evidence that the state's new immigration-enforcement is too draconian.

If a class with 20 students, has one kid out sick, that's a 95% attendance rate. 5% are absent.

How many classrooms normally have *zero* kids absent on any given day? Some do, but having one kid absent is nothing unusual. And sometimes... especially at the onset of Autumn as the weather cools off... having more than one kid home sick, is the norm.

So, the whole story seems to have been generated from a statistic showing that attendance at these classrooms was not significantly different from normal!

chloe
10-05-2011, 06:33 PM

Exactly ! Illegal is illegal, if they had a valid reason and the legal route waiting list is taking too long and they are in danger they could apply for asylum. But this is not the case what the illegals are saying is they have a right to be here that we stole the land yadda yadda yadda......

mDlutO0KK7g

fj1200
10-05-2011, 06:36 PM
Why blame the illegals? If I lived in Mexico I'd probably GTFO as well. Did we blame the East Germans for climbing the wall?

ConHog
10-05-2011, 06:40 PM
Why blame the illegals? If I lived in Mexico I'd probably GTFO as well. Did we blame the East Germans for climbing the wall?

I have to agree with that. It isn't their job to keep themselves out. It's our job to keep them out.

red states rule
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
I have to agree with that. It isn't their job to keep themselves out. It's our job to keep them out.

Yet Obama and the Dems want as many undocumented Democrats to cross the border as possible, and will do nothing to stop them

Little-Acorn
10-05-2011, 06:47 PM

Coming into West Germany from East, wasn't against West German law.

fj1200
10-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Coming into West Germany from East, wasn't against West German law.

So? The West favored that type of "political" prisoner while we do not favor another type of "economic" prisoner.

ConHog
10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Let's be frank. there isn't a man, nor a woman, among us who wouldn't climb , swim, job, fly, or float from mexico to the USA to give our families a better life regardless of the legality of it if we knew we could get here. I don't blame them for taking advantage of our porous border and lackluster enforcement. I blame US.

fj1200
10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
I blame US.

:beer:

Although I do blame Mexico for remaining a S' country that cares not a whit about its populace.

ConHog
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
:beer:

Although I do blame Mexico for remaining a S' country that cares not a whit about its populace.

of course, but the average working jose that has sneaked over here for a better life had no more chance of changing Mexico than the the average Joe over here has of changing the US. That's just a cold fact.

fj1200
10-05-2011, 10:06 PM
of course, but the average working jose that has sneaked over here for a better life had no more chance of changing Mexico than the the average Joe over here has of changing the US. That's just a cold fact.

Meh, I guess it helps the entrenched in Mexico when the ones with ambition leave.