PDA

View Full Version : Teen sexting in Flordia, not as illegal as it use to be...

Noir
10-02-2011, 07:27 PM
CNN) -- Before Saturday, a Florida teenager who sent or received nude photos or video could have been charged with a felony and forced to register as a sex offender.But a new law, recognizing the proliferation of cell phones and computers, eases the penalties for "sexting" infractions.

A first offense is punishable by eight hours of community service or a $60 fine; the second is a misdemeanor and the third is a felony.

"(This bill) modernizes these laws to ensure that children's lives are not ruined due to youthful indiscretion. This reform will let our youth know that such behavior is wrong without labeling them sex offenders for the rest of their lives."

Under House Bill 75, teens who receive explicit images won't be charged if they took reasonable steps to report it, did not solicit the image and did not send it to someone.

A recent Associated Press/MTV poll of Internet behavior found one of three teen and young adult respondents said they've taken part in "sexting," which includes sending sexually charged texts.

"There's probably a lot of kids who don't realize how this (sexting) could impact their life," Karl Bergstrom of Fort Myers told CNN affiliate WINK.
http://edition.cnn.com/2011/10/01/us/florida-sexting/

Anyone else think that there are better things to be worrying about than if two 15 year olds are sending each other 'racy' texts? But at the very least at least the law doesn't consider 1/3 of floridas' teenagers to be criminals and sex offenders at the first sight of a sext.

(also i know the title of the topic doesn't quite make sense but its too early for me to think of something else.)

chloe
10-02-2011, 08:18 PM

Anyone else think that there are better things to be worrying about than if two 15 year olds are sending each other 'racy' texts? But at the very least at least the law doesn't consider 1/3 of floridas' teenagers to be criminals and sex offenders at the first sight of a sext.

(also i know the title of the topic doesn't quite make sense but its too early for me to think of something else.)

Agreed it's stupid.

DragonStryk72
10-03-2011, 07:30 PM

Yeah, now we just have to get the rest of the teen laws to not be retarded. Let's say you're a junior in high school, 17 years, and a girl shows interest in you, though she does look a year or so younger than. Well you ask how old she is, and she states that she's sixteen years old. Now, down the line as you guys date (sex or no sex), her parents find out she's dating a 17 year old, and this is when you find out she 14, a freshmen in high school. According to the laws on the books, you are exactly the same as the fifty year old man who tries to have sex with 10-12 year olds, because you were interested in a girl 3 years younger than you whom you believe to be only 1 year younger than you. No, it doesn't matter that she lied, she will not suffer the ill effects. You, however, "should have known better".

However, over here there are several states where you are on the sex offender registry for life, such as NC as I recall. For the rest of your life, statutory rape of a minor will pop up on all of your background checks, you won't be able to attend high school anywhere due to the fact that there are 14-15 year olds there, most colleges won't take you, no military service for you, and companies will many times fire you over it. Not for that, but they will invent reasons for you to be let go. And oh yeah, if you become jobless or homeless you can't stay registered, which means you are in violation, and you can't not work, so you would be in violation. As well, the registry is public, meaning that everyone has access to your name, address, photo, car make/model, and license plate number.

Now, the registry does serve useful purpose, don't get me wrong, but it shouldn't be public domain, and nor should every single offense land people on it.

chloe
10-03-2011, 07:42 PM
You can get married at 16 in alot of states and in some states it used to be as young as 14.

I have two daughters one 18 and one 15 I think that it's stupid the whole texting/sexting thing is blown out of proportion.

I wouldnt want my daughters dating a 50 yr old but at 18 my daughter is legally able to do what she wants.