PDA

View Full Version : Switched to Chrome

KarlMarx
10-04-2011, 06:05 AM
I've been running Firefox the past year. Now it seems that once I got a W7 machine, it's been slow. My brother suggested I switch to Chrome. I downloaded it last night... so far no problems (but that's what I said about FF, too)... any one have any experience with Chrome or its alternatives?

Noir
10-04-2011, 06:59 AM
Personally I'd never use chrome because of their terms of use when it was first released, some of which were awful. The data that google wanted to collect was just mind-blowing.

One of the worst clauses to the terms of use when as follows; (bold mine)

11. Content licence from you

11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights that you already hold in Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content, you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free and non-exclusive licence to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content that you submit, post or display on or through the Services. This licence is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

This has since changed, but other data collection hasn't. Given chrome does nothing special, it's just nit worth it imo, though I'm sure plenty love it.

fj1200
10-04-2011, 08:48 AM
I've been running Firefox the past year. Now it seems that once I got a W7 machine, it's been slow. My brother suggested I switch to Chrome. I downloaded it last night... so far no problems (but that's what I said about FF, too)... any one have any experience with Chrome or its alternatives?

I use Chrome on my laptop because FF wouldn't load after I downloaded the latest version. It works OK except that it won't display some pdf files.

jimnyc
10-04-2011, 09:19 AM
Personally I'd never use chrome because of their terms of use when it was first released, some of which were awful. The data that google wanted to collect was just mind-blowing.

One of the worst clauses to the terms of use when as follows; (bold mine)

This has since changed, but other data collection hasn't. Given chrome does nothing special, it's just nit worth it imo, though I'm sure plenty love it.

They changed it awhile back...

Read the updated sections (specifically sections 9 and 10)

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_text.html

Noir
10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
They changed it awhile back...

Read the updated sections (specifically sections 9 and 10)

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_text.html

I know they changed it, however, that is what they *wanted* doesn't give me any reason to try it out when Safari works just grand and i know what Google would want if they thought they could get it.

jimnyc
10-04-2011, 03:41 PM
I know they changed it, however, that is what they *wanted* doesn't give me any reason to try it out when Safari works just grand and i know what Google would want if they thought they could get it.

I re-read the post and it's obvious you were speaking past tense. Ignore my post, I'm a dolt as of late!

Btw - I thought Chrome sucked anyway, IMO, and uninstalled it awhile back and have stuck with Firefox.

Trinity
10-06-2011, 08:15 PM
I use both Firefox and Chrome depending on my mood and which operating system I am on...If I am on my laptop using windows 7 it's chrome...if I'm on the desktop using Linux it's Firefox....Now if I could just get my son weaned off of Windows....another good one but if you are not a computer nerd...it could end up aggravating you....is Opera.