PDA

View Full Version : Overhead image showing high attendance at "Occupy Wall Street" was faked?

Little-Acorn
10-05-2011, 07:06 PM
As usual, if you find the Left saying anything about themselves that appears to be good, look immediately for fakery.

In the case of the "Occupy Wall Street" kooks, you won't have to look very far.

-----------------------------------------------------------

http://blog.timparkinson.net/2011/09/30/lies-damn-lies-and-photoshop/

A fellow skeptic (President of the Granite State Skeptics Travis Roy) recently posted a request on the Skeptoid mailing list regarding an image that has been making the rounds on Facebook. The image is an aerial shot of a supposedly huge turnout for the Occupy Wall St protest against corruption and greed. What appears to be thousands of protesters clog the streets of New York near the City Hall, with a caption stating:

--------------------------------------
Occupy Wall Street Turnout: My TV says nothing. The only thing I hear is its [sic] a small 100 person turn out. Turn off your TV. Ask your friends. Dont [sic] trust the media they lie!

After a request from Wettstein (and a warning from my hosting provider) I have removed his plagiarised propaganda image from my site. However the original can be found on Google Image Search.
--------------------------------------

My skeptical colleague saw this image and immediately smelled something fishy. Travis noticed that the image was an aerial photo of New York City Hall, whereas the protests were happening several blocks away at Liberty Square. He sent the image to the mailing list for other opinions. To my eyes the mass of protesters looked out of place, the crowd looked too uniform and dense to be real. I took the image into Photoshop to see if I could pick up any pattern to the image. My original thought was that they had used the clone tool to make a smaller group of people look much larger. Not being able to find anything obvious, I started to wonder where the background plate may have come from. Immediately Google Maps came to mind. I looked up the location featured in the image, and then I saw it:

http://i.imgur.com/qPyyu.jpg

Look familiar?

How about now:

http://i.imgur.com/JnzcU.jpg

According to Google Earth, this particular aerial photograph of City Hall was taken on the 3rd of June, 2011, one month before the Occupy Wall Street initiative even began.

I have no strong opinions regarding what these people are protesting about. I’m sure they believe their cause is just and I respect their right to make a stand. I do however find it supremely ironic that a group who is supposedly protesting about corruption and lies would produce such a blatant piece of propaganda. Especially one so readily falsifiable. I respect that people have their own opinions and beliefs, however I have no respect for those who blatantly lie to defend their beliefs.

Psychoblues
10-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Nope. Nationwide and well documented. Even from FoxNews, the most known name in partisan propaganda.

Psychoblues

fj1200
10-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Nope. Nationwide and well documented. Even from FoxNews, the most known name in partisan propaganda.

Nope what?

Psychoblues
10-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Nope what?

The nationwide Wall Street Occupation is not being faked. You're losing your edge, cowgirl!!!!!

Psychoblues

fj1200
10-06-2011, 10:43 PM
The nationwide Wall Street Occupation is not being faked. You're losing your edge, cowgirl!!!!!

Nobody said that there were not a gaggle of protesters down on WS. You deny the IRS and now you would deny your own eyes? That is if you took the time to look.

Psychoblues
10-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Nobody said that there were not a gaggle of protesters down on WS. You deny the IRS and now you would deny your own eyes? That is if you took the time to look.

So you think the Wall Street Occupiers are simply a figment of someone's imagination? I see, I see. Just how does that make you feel?

Psychoblues

fj1200
10-06-2011, 11:02 PM
So you think the Wall Street Occupiers are simply a figment of someone's imagination? I see, I see. Just how does that make you feel?

It makes me feel sad that you're on crack. ;) You do know that there are pictures in the OP right?

Psychoblues
10-06-2011, 11:27 PM
It makes me feel sad that you're on crack. ;) You do know that there are pictures in the OP right?

Who took them and what was their agenda? Others are available. Google is your friend and truth will prevail for those that seek it.

Psychoblues

fj1200
10-06-2011, 11:28 PM
^You don't even read what's there.

[shakes head]

Psychoblues
10-06-2011, 11:39 PM
^You don't even read what's there.

[shakes head]

I read and I see. That's not important. The OP is a total misrepresentation at best and most likely a total lie. I suspect the latter. That's not important either. How does that make you feel?

Psychoblues

fj1200
10-06-2011, 11:43 PM
^Still sad; still the crack.

red states rule
10-07-2011, 02:53 AM

The liberal media did the same thing to the Tea Party only in reverse. They tried to downplay the numbers when they assembled on the National Mall

Here we have idiots who "demand" all debt be wiped off the books, put private ins companies out of business, a national living wage of $20/hr, and other insane ideas that will put every business in America out of business

Yet people like PB will defend them regardless of the facts. It is business as usual for him. Party over country.

red states rule
10-07-2011, 03:06 AM
The IQ of these people are slightly below room temp

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/NWwK5TBcoUY" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

red states rule
10-07-2011, 03:33 AM

Psychoblues

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/cb100311dAPR20111004064517.jpg

fj1200
10-07-2011, 08:40 AM
Riddle me this: Why is demanding "free" college, "free" health care, and minimum $20 per hour not considered greed?

Psychoblues
10-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Riddle me this: Why is demanding "free" college, "free" health care, and minimum $20 per hour not considered greed?

I don't understand your premise. Nothing is free but love. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a fool. And just who is demanding $20 per hour minimum?

You're slipping in the worst way, fj. I think some of these idiots around here are beginning to bring you down to their nonsensical level.

Psychoblues

fj1200
10-07-2011, 10:07 AM
I don't understand your premise.

Have you not paid any attention to the demands by the occupiers? Granted I may be crossing threads here but please, keep up.

logroller
10-07-2011, 10:16 AM
[Don't trust the media--they lie!]

Words you could live by!

fj1200
10-07-2011, 10:26 AM
^Who is the media in this case? And who is accused of lying?

Psychoblues
10-07-2011, 10:35 AM
Have you not paid any attention to the demands by the occupiers? Granted I may be crossing threads here but please, keep up.

Well, I would think that you certainly are crossing threads and losing complete foundation for your remarks. Your bad and not mine so quit projecting yourself.

Psychoblues

Little-Acorn
10-07-2011, 10:39 AM
^Still sad; still the crack.

Are you starting to understand why most people don't bother replying to PB?

Please don't feed the trolls.

ConHog
10-07-2011, 10:45 AM
Are you starting to understand why most people don't bother replying to PB?

Indeed, although fun to make fun of, PB is not to be engaged in serious discussion as he's incapable of such.

Little-Acorn
10-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Indeed, although fun to make fun of,

Thunderknuckles
10-07-2011, 10:57 AM
I don't understand your premise. Nothing is free but love. Anyone that thinks otherwise is a fool. And just who is demanding $20 per hour minimum?

You're slipping in the worst way, fj. I think some of these idiots around here are beginning to bring you down to their nonsensical level.

Psychoblues
Just go read their list of demands, it's completely obvious you have not, and if you miss the parts about free college, $20/hr wage, etc let me know and I'll gladly post them for you in an easy to read format so there is no room for disagreement.

revelarts
10-07-2011, 11:42 AM
I just want to know why the media would Lie? What kind of conspiracy theorist posted this thread. are you FOR REAL??? and some agree with this??? Fake photo's?!?!?!?!?! MEDIA LIES?!?!?!, balderdash, fie, and poppycock... never happens !!!

What are you people smoking? or drinking? what NUT House did you escape from?
Why this has taken so long to get moved to the conspiracy thread is BEYOOOOOOOND ME?!?!?

:rolleyes:

Little-Acorn
10-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I just want to know why the media would Lie? What kind of conspiracy theorist posted this thread. are you FOR REAL??? and some agree with this??? Fake photo's?!?!?!?!?! MEDIA LIES?!?!?!, balderdash, fie, and poppycock... never happens !!!

Why this has taken so long to get moved to the conspiracy thread is BEYOOOOOOOND ME?!?!?

That's cute! :)

jimnyc
10-07-2011, 03:07 PM

Because based on the Google Maps photo, this is proof of an outright doctored photo. Other than people passing it around FB, and a few blogs, I don't see the "media" lying. You're trying to compare this picture of a supposed event to your postings and discussions to that of a massive 9/11 inside job cover-up.

I'm surprised these asswipes surrounding Wall Street didn't Photoshop the band Radiohead giving a live performance. :laugh2:

Psychoblues
10-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Here is a little something that might better explain what the Occupiers protests are about and without the cherry picked nutty demands that serve only to scare poor reichwingers into thinking the protesters are coming after their fistful of dollars.

Protesting 'occupiers' spread message beyond Wall Street
By Donna Leinwand Leger, USA TODAY
Hand-drawn posters jamming Freedom Plaza on Thursday listed a litany of grievances from "Abolish the Fed" to "Don't waste U.S. $ fighting wars in which we don't belong" to "Windmills, not oil spills."

Carrie Stone, 56, stood among them, holding a sign that said: "I walked 200 miles to join this occupation." Stone, an attorney, had trekked from her home in Wallace, W.Va., to a plaza on Pennsylvania Avenue (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Pennsylvania+Avenue), Washington's most prestigious street, to be part of a protest movement that began last month with the "Occupy Wall Street (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Landmarks,+Landforms/Wall+Street)" sit-in at a New York City (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Towns,+Cities,+Counties/New+York+City) park and has spread to cities across the nation............................................ .........................................

More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-06/dc-wall-street-protest/50683204/1

Psychoblues

ConHog
10-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Here is a little something that might better explain what the Occupiers protests are about and without the cherry picked nutty demands that serve only to scare poor reichwingers into thinking the protesters are coming after their fistful of dollars.

Protesting 'occupiers' spread message beyond Wall Street
By Donna Leinwand Leger, USA TODAY
Hand-drawn posters jamming Freedom Plaza on Thursday listed a litany of grievances from "Abolish the Fed" to "Don't waste U.S. $ fighting wars in which we don't belong" to "Windmills, not oil spills."

Carrie Stone, 56, stood among them, holding a sign that said: "I walked 200 miles to join this occupation." Stone, an attorney, had trekked from her home in Wallace, W.Va., to a plaza on Pennsylvania Avenue (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Pennsylvania+Avenue), Washington's most prestigious street, to be part of a protest movement that began last month with the "Occupy Wall Street (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Landmarks,+Landforms/Wall+Street)" sit-in at a New York City (http://content.usatoday.com/topics/topic/Places,+Geography/Towns,+Cities,+Counties/New+York+City) park and has spread to cities across the nation............................................ .........................................

More: http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/story/2011-10-06/dc-wall-street-protest/50683204/1

Psychoblues

I call bullshit on that old bitch walking 200 miles to join in some crazy protest.

Thunderknuckles
10-07-2011, 05:10 PM
I call bullshit on that old bitch walking 200 miles to join in some crazy protest.
I am sure what she really meant to say was that she has walked 200 miles throughout her life and that journey finally brought her to Washington :D

ConHog
10-07-2011, 05:18 PM
I am sure what she really meant to say was that she has walked 200 miles throughout her life and that journey finally brought her to Washington :D

Now that is a much more likely story.

logroller
10-07-2011, 05:54 PM
I never bought into the story that this protest was 'big' or 'growing'-- OK, they'r pissed about corp America and govt in bed w/ eachother and the bailouts--join the f'ing club. I've got more pressing things to attend to than a protest on Wall Street- but by all means, have at it; but I doubt that will have any effect. Has anyone taken notice of their actions as said "You know, those bailout weren't all that good-- thanks for bring that to my attention."

If there is case of someone doctoring photos, and somebody caught them doing so--kudos, I love investigative dramas. But at the point somebody starts pointing out such things, I too have to wonder if there isn't a counter-conspiracy in work as well--where the person posting the doctored photo did so with the intent of being caught to discredit the actual persons protesting. Therefore, I consider it a bit of a non-story. The real story-- people are protesting something they know little about and, most of whom, I guessing, couldn't tell me 1/2 of their elected reps, let alone if they actually contacted their reps directly to express their concerns-- that's how it starts, that's how one begins to make changes-- if at that point they fail to listen, then organized protesting can serve to reinforce those concerns. But I'm quite confident most of the people protesting think they're at a public party.

Psychoblues
10-07-2011, 06:36 PM

What do you have to back up your call of bullshit? What do you think about the rest of the article? Did you just come here to continue your whining? Would you like a little cheese to go with that?

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
10-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Now that is a much more likely story.

And what did you have to say back in the advent of the latest version of the teabaggers as they were exposing themselves and claiming far more incredible acts associated to their patriotic fervor to the astroturf foundations of their movement. I wouldn't let the comedy escape me for a bunch of bucks, but it's all for free!!!!!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Psychoblues

ConHog
10-07-2011, 07:53 PM
And what did you have to say back in the advent of the latest version of the teabaggers as they were exposing themselves and claiming far more incredible acts associated to their patriotic fervor to the astroturf foundations of their movement. I wouldn't let the comedy escape me for a bunch of bucks, but it's all for free!!!!!!

Psychoblues

Sleep it off and come back tomorrow and try again. I understood not one word of this post of yours.

red states rule
10-09-2011, 03:47 AM

Psychoblues

Here are the "demands" of the 2011 hippies PB. If you were not so full of yourself you would know I started a thread days ago on what they are "demanding"

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?32860-Occupy-Wall-Street-protesters-post-manifesto-of-demands

red states rule
10-09-2011, 03:51 AM

Psychoblues

So let me get thsi staright PB

It is patriotic to demand a $20/hr living wage regardless of employment; wipe out all debt; outlaw all credit reporting, and all the other demands of these Wall Street occupiers

But the Tea Party is a crazy bunch for demanding lower taxes and less government spending?

red states rule
10-10-2011, 02:45 AM
Here are the "demands" of the 2011 hippies PB. If you were not so full of yourself you would know I started a thread days ago on what they are "demanding"

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?32860-Occupy-Wall-Street-protesters-post-manifesto-of-demands

Again, crickets chirping

The liberal media, like PB, are forgetting history and the facts as they support the hippies on Wall St

Offering the kind of respect, admiration and promotion ABC News has yet to offer Tea Party activists, Christiane Amanpour on Sunday asserted the far-left protesters are a “populous movement” representing a “revolution,” cited how it has “finally” been recognized by politicians, characterized it as an answer to the Tea Party and included an “Occupy Wall Street activist” on her roundtable.

“The revolution is being televised and tweeted and Facebooked,” she trumpeted in plugging the roundtable, proclaiming: “The Occupy Wall Street protests are suddenly all that Washington can talk about. Are we witnessing the birth of a new kind of Tea Party?”
“This week,” she touted at the top of the program, “inside the uprising as the Wall Street protests spread, Washington finally takes note.” Following soundbites from Eric Cantor and Jay Carney, she asked: “Is this the left’s answer to the Tea Party?”

Introducing the roundtable, she repeated her “finally” formulation:

Washington reacts to the Occupy Wall Street protests now entering their third week. Yesterday thousands of demonstrations marched in New York’s Washington Square Park. That was their second mass rally. Meantime, the protests have quickly expanded to other cities, including Los Angeles, Chicago, as well as here in the nation’s capital. And this week, politicians of both parties finally realize that these young people could not be ignored.
The roundtable featured Jesse LaGreca who is blogging about the protests for the far-left Daily Kos, a favor This Week did not extend in April of 2009 to a Tea Party activist.

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2011/10/09/amanpour-touts-wall-street-protests-revolution-pleased-politicians-fina#ixzz1aNHOlpdP

red states rule
10-12-2011, 02:52 AM
and this from Maddow and Maher where they laugh at the violence from the hippies

<IFRAME title="MRC TV video player" height=360 src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/106472" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>