PDA

View Full Version : I want to say thanks to Jimnyc...

KitchenKitten99
10-12-2011, 03:46 PM
...for this board.

I may or may not have posted my story about my wanting to find my dad elsewhere, but it was here that I did.

I believe it saved his life.

I don't remember if I ever posted a photo of us. The one below is from last summer.

What I know I haven't posted is that my now-ex and I split up a couple years ago ('09) and I have since re-married (May this year). I don't want to go into details here though. The Ex and I remain on very good terms and our boys are doing very well with the adjustment.

My dad has two daughters from a previous marriage. His ex has ensured estrangement due to her selfish and psycho ways (as per my step-mom, his current wife), though he despirately desires a relationship with them. The older one got married about 2 years ago, and he was not invited. This hurt him terribly, since at the time, this was his oldest daughter, etc.

In 2006 he had gone into full cardiac arrest and was clinically dead for 6 minutes. They did revive him and he recovered. Though due to constant rejection from his daughters, he stopped taking his heart medication on a regular basis. He was getting sicker and sicker.

Then he found me and my boys (his grandsons).

Since we have found each other, he has again started being conscious of taking his meds and eating better. My uncle (his brother) and my stepmom have told me that he has had a complete turn-around. When he visited and we met for the first time, they spent a week up here. My then-live-in-boyfriend asked him for 'permission' to marry me (but not near me). I was actually a bit surprised because at that point, my now-husband had sworn off marriage (he was married once before as well), and while I had not, I wasn't really expecting him to change his mind, and it really didn't matter to me at that point anyway.

Well, he "asked", and my dad agreed, lol, and he was thrilled at the idea of being there for me and the wedding, and since I had no real father to speak of at my first wedding (my mom gave me away), I was happy to have him there this time around.

We now have a great relationship as we get to know each other. He lives in Dallas, so that makes it tough to see him, but I am planning a road trip with the boys down there sometime early December (if things go well financially).

I visited them earlier this year and got to meet my grandmother (his mother) and my cousins. I am just like my grandmother, and though it is coincidence (my mom didn't really know her, or her first name), her first name is Marie, and that is my middle name.

So thank you, Jim. :salute:

Noir
10-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Awesome story is awesome (:

chloe
10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
I remember the story and the first picture but I never saw the wedding pics. Congrats on your wedding !!!! I love photos your Beautiful Kitten thanks for sharing them with us.:salute:

Nukeman
10-12-2011, 06:58 PM
Congrats.... Fuzzy... er... I mean Kitchenkitten... Good for you

Kathianne
10-12-2011, 07:28 PM
...for this board.

I may or may not have posted my story about my wanting to find my dad elsewhere, but it was here that I did.

I believe it saved his life.

I don't remember if I ever posted a photo of us. The one below is from last summer.

What I know I haven't posted is that my now-ex and I split up a couple years ago ('09) and I have since re-married (May this year). I don't want to go into details here though. The Ex and I remain on very good terms and our boys are doing very well with the adjustment.

My dad has two daughters from a previous marriage. His ex has ensured estrangement due to her selfish and psycho ways (as per my step-mom, his current wife), though he despirately desires a relationship with them. The older one got married about 2 years ago, and he was not invited. This hurt him terribly, since at the time, this was his oldest daughter, etc.

In 2006 he had gone into full cardiac arrest and was clinically dead for 6 minutes. They did revive him and he recovered. Though due to constant rejection from his daughters, he stopped taking his heart medication on a regular basis. He was getting sicker and sicker.

Then he found me and my boys (his grandsons).

Since we have found each other, he has again started being conscious of taking his meds and eating better. My uncle (his brother) and my stepmom have told me that he has had a complete turn-around. When he visited and we met for the first time, they spent a week up here. My then-live-in-boyfriend asked him for 'permission' to marry me (but not near me). I was actually a bit surprised because at that point, my now-husband had sworn off marriage (he was married once before as well), and while I had not, I wasn't really expecting him to change his mind, and it really didn't matter to me at that point anyway.

Well, he "asked", and my dad agreed, lol, and he was thrilled at the idea of being there for me and the wedding, and since I had no real father to speak of at my first wedding (my mom gave me away), I was happy to have him there this time around.

We now have a great relationship as we get to know each other. He lives in Dallas, so that makes it tough to see him, but I am planning a road trip with the boys down there sometime early December (if things go well financially).

I visited them earlier this year and got to meet my grandmother (his mother) and my cousins. I am just like my grandmother, and though it is coincidence (my mom didn't really know her, or her first name), her first name is Marie, and that is my middle name.

So thank you, Jim. :salute:

I remember the story too! Awesome and your dress and the little man are gorgeous! Congrats on the newlywed status to you and new hubby!

KarlMarx
10-12-2011, 07:35 PM
Amazing story... like something out of the movies. Many wishes for lots of happiness

KitchenKitten99
10-12-2011, 08:31 PM
I remember the story and the first picture but I never saw the wedding pics. Congrats on your wedding !!!! I love photos your Beautiful Kitten thanks for sharing them with us.:salute:
I never posted the pics because I never actually disclosed here that my ex and I split up, nor that I had met someone else, etc. Not that I was embarrassed, because that is not the case. I just did not feel like playing 20,000 questions and explain what happened.

But for you Chloe, (and everyone else) here are a few. The wedding was at a nearby park next to the river, and the reception was held at our cigar shop.

Photo with my mom and dad.

The blended family. DH has 3 from his previous marriage.
My two are the one on my lap and the boy in the middle of the other two.

chloe
10-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I never posted the pics because I never actually disclosed here that my ex and I split up, nor that I had met someone else, etc. Not that I was embarrassed, because that is not the case. I just did not feel like playing 20,000 questions and explain what happened.

But for you Chloe, (and everyone else) here are a few. The wedding was at a nearby park next to the river, and the reception was held at our cigar shop.

Photo with my mom and dad.

The blended family. DH has 3 from his previous marriage.
My two are the one on my lap and the boy in the middle of the other two.

Well you are just so beautiful kitten, I love the color of your dress and the setting outside with the umbrella wow just neat, your children & step children are adorable. Really such a joyous celebration and I feel honored that you shared the pictures with us. That is really cool that you held the reception in the cigar shop.

KitchenKitten99
10-12-2011, 08:47 PM
... That is really cool that you held the reception in the cigar shop. That's cuz it was already 'paid for', lol :thumb:

We host parties in the shop at least once a month anyway. I just reorganized it for the wedding. Smoke, eat, and drink yourself silly! I think we had more of our customers (who have become almost like family) than actual family members attend.

This is our site, which has pics...you'll kind of see why I wanted it there anyway: www.littlehavanatobaccoinc.com

chloe
10-12-2011, 08:52 PM
That's cuz it was already 'paid for', lol :thumb:

We host parties in the shop at least once a month anyway. I just reorganized it for the wedding. Smoke, eat, and drink yourself silly! I think we had more of our customers (who have become almost like family) than actual family members attend.

This is our site, which has pics...you'll kind of see why I wanted it there anyway: www.littlehavanatobaccoinc.com (http://www.littlehavanatobaccoinc.com)

how's the business going? Just wondering....do you smoke cigars?:laugh2:

KitchenKitten99
10-12-2011, 09:04 PM
how's the business going? Just wondering....do you smoke cigars?:laugh2:

Business is going fairly well. Sales up from this time last year. We have a larger customer base now, so we are more steady than before, but the consistency is still somewhat lacking. Not bad though for a tough tax environment and only 18 months of being open.

And yes I do, but seldom. I only started a couple months ago, when I decided to just experiment & explore. I found I like the flavor-infused ones from Drew Estate (the Acid line), CAO Flavours, and the new Rocky Patel Java series.

Sometimes I will smoke 1 a day for a week straight, or none at all for several days. I think I am up to a week now, where I just haven't felt like it.

Prior to a few months ago, I had never smoked anything a day in my life.

chloe
10-12-2011, 09:12 PM
Business is going fairly well. Sales up from this time last year. We have a larger customer base now, so we are more steady than before, but the consistency is still somewhat lacking. Not bad though for a tough tax environment and only 18 months of being open.

And yes I do, but seldom. I only started a couple months ago, when I decided to just experiment & explore. I found I like the flavor-infused ones from Drew Estate (the Acid line), CAO Flavours, and the new Rocky Patel Java series.

Sometimes I will smoke 1 a day for a week straight, or none at all for several days. I think I am up to a week now, where I just haven't felt like it.

Prior to a few months ago, I had never smoked anything a day in my life.

:laugh2: that's awesome !!! I don't smoke myself, but when i was 13yrs old I remeber that me and my best friend got really super drunk on bourbon for new years eve and we had 2 cigars we snagged off one of her relatives, we had never smoked cigars obviously LOL and tried to smoke them like you would a cigarette or weed haha, needless to say my friends stomach didn't like bourbon and inhaled cigar smoke and she puked all over me:rolleyes:

You sound fancy with your cigar knowledge, who knows maybe you will score a few customers right here from this board.;)

jimnyc
10-12-2011, 09:20 PM
Please, don't thank me. I should be thanking you for sharing such a heartfelt story with all of us. I simply made a tiny board that has allowed a small community to grow from and get to know one another. I think it would be better credited to faith & determination when people find one another. I'd like to think that my opening a tiny website somehow facilitated a miraculous "family reunion", but I think you 2 deserve more credit. But the knowledge that part of it did take place via DP, I feel as if whatever efforts and/or $$ that goes into the site is well, well worth it.

I love the pictures and think it's a beautiful family ya got there. And again, it's awesome of you to share it with the community here. We all now think we know "kitten" that much more, and fond of you that much more!

KitchenKitten99
10-12-2011, 10:10 PM
the setting outside with the umbrella wow just neat, ....

My friend Cara from culinary school was kind of my 'personal attendant', unofficially. It was raining on and off that day and she had brought the umbrella, and didn't even realize it matched until just after our vows. The rain held off just long enough for the ceremony and our short 2 block walk to the shop.