PDA

View Full Version : ABC News: Obama sends U.S. combat troops to Uganda

Little-Acorn
10-14-2011, 01:17 PM
For those of you who thought Obama had promised to END various wars instead of starting new U.S. involvement in them, relax.

These troops are there, merely in an advisory capacity.

Obama said so himself. So quit worrying. Who would ever attack U.S. troops in a foreign country, anyway?

All those guns, ammo, and other weapons they are bringing with them, are only for self-defense. I repeat, they are there only to advise.

It is completely coincidental that the first U.S. troops sent to Vietnam, were sent in the same numbers... and had exactly the same orders.

------------------------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/obama-sends-100-us-troops-to-uganda-to-combat-lords-resistance-army/

Obama Sends 100 US Troops to Uganda to Help Combat Lord’s Resistance Army

By Jake Tapper
Oct 14, 2011 1:54pmTweet Email

Two days ago President Obama authorized the deployment to Uganda of approximately 100 combat-equipped U.S. forces to help regional forces “remove from the battlefield” – meaning capture or kill – Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and senior leaders of the LRA.

The forces will ultimately go to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with the permission of those countries.

The president made this announcement in a letter to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, Friday afternoon, saying that “deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa.”

He said that “although the U.S. forces are combat-equipped, they will only be providing information, advice, and assistance to partner nation forces, and they will not themselves engage LRA forces unless necessary for self-defense.”

revelarts
10-14-2011, 01:28 PM
Any congressional approval here? Do you need guns to "advise".?

ConHog
10-14-2011, 07:13 PM
For those of you who thought Obama had promised to END various wars instead of starting new U.S. involvement in them, relax.

These troops are there, merely in an advisory capacity.

Obama said so himself. So quit worrying. Who would ever attack U.S. troops in a foreign country, anyway?

All those guns, ammo, and other weapons they are bringing with them, are only for self-defense. I repeat, they are there only to advise.

It is completely coincidental that the first U.S. troops sent to Vietnam, were sent in the same numbers... and had exactly the same orders.

------------------------------------

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/obama-sends-100-us-troops-to-uganda-to-combat-lords-resistance-army/

Obama Sends 100 US Troops to Uganda to Help Combat Lord’s Resistance Army

By Jake Tapper
Oct 14, 2011 1:54pmTweet Email

Two days ago President Obama authorized the deployment to Uganda of approximately 100 combat-equipped U.S. forces to help regional forces “remove from the battlefield” – meaning capture or kill – Lord’s Resistance Army leader Joseph Kony and senior leaders of the LRA.

The forces will ultimately go to Uganda, South Sudan, the Central African Republic, and the Democratic Republic of the Congo, with the permission of those countries.

The president made this announcement in a letter to House Speaker John Boehner, R-Ohio, Friday afternoon, saying that “deploying these U.S. Armed Forces furthers U.S. national security interests and foreign policy and will be a significant contribution toward counter-LRA efforts in central Africa.”

He said that “although the U.S. forces are combat-equipped, they will only be providing information, advice, and assistance to partner nation forces, and they will not themselves engage LRA forces unless necessary for self-defense.”

Meh, no big deal here. The US has a long tradition of fighting dictators in foreign countries and as for the Vietnam comparisons. Completely invalid. There is no Soviet Union with an agenda backing up Uganda here.

Psychoblues
10-14-2011, 10:10 PM
Meh, no big deal here. The US has a long tradition of fighting dictators in foreign countries and as for the Vietnam comparisons. Completely invalid. There is no Soviet Union with an agenda backing up Uganda here.

Exactly spot on, ch. Congratulations.

Psychoblues

ConHog
10-14-2011, 10:13 PM
Exactly spot on, ch. Congratulations.

Psychoblues

Shut up dipshit. I have NO doubt that if BOOSH had done this you would be in here screaming your partisan panties off.

red states rule
10-15-2011, 02:43 AM
Don't hold your breath waiting for the peace niks to hit the streets with their anti war signs and guest speakers at the National Mall

Now if Pres McCain had done this, they would be gathering there as you read this

fj1200
10-15-2011, 08:32 AM
But this action will only cause more Africans to join the LRA forces. Do I have the logic right? Engaging terrorists creates more terrorists? I'm working on my Dem voting credentials so help me out here.

Trigg
10-15-2011, 03:04 PM
Great another "police action" implimented while the US is in the depths of a recession. My hard earned tax money at work.

Psychoblues
10-15-2011, 07:18 PM
Shut up dipshit. I have NO doubt that if BOOSH had done this you would be in here screaming your partisan panties off.

And you would be totally wrong. Dipshit. What the hell do you do with all that hate, fear and self loathing when you go to bed?

Psychoblues

ConHog
10-15-2011, 10:21 PM
And you would be totally wrong. Dipshit. What the hell do you do with all that hate, fear and self loathing when you go to bed?

Psychoblues

Well, I don't drowned in a bottle..............

red states rule
10-16-2011, 03:35 AM

Psychoblues

So if Pres Bush would have done this you would have started a thread supporting the action PB?

Yea, and I just won the Lotto and will be moving to Beverly Hills later this week

Psychoblues
10-16-2011, 05:14 PM
So if Pres Bush would have done this you would have started a thread supporting the action PB?

Yea, and I just won the Lotto and will be moving to Beverly Hills later this week

gwb never did anything like this, rsr. He lied us into a war on Iraq which so far has gotten over 4,000 of our finest killed as a result. But, if he had sent 100 advisory troops to Uganda/Congo/Somalia and elsewhere in Africa or anywhere else for the same reasons now stated I would have supported that. Absolutely. That is what I DO support about the purposes and capabilities of our superb country and our superb military.

Psychoblues

red states rule
10-17-2011, 02:29 AM
gwb never did anything like this, rsr. He lied us into a war on Iraq which so far has gotten over 4,000 of our finest killed as a result. But, if he had sent 100 advisory troops to Uganda/Congo/Somalia and elsewhere in Africa or anywhere else for the same reasons now stated I would have supported that. Absolutely. That is what I DO support about the purposes and capabilities of our superb country and our superb military.

Psychoblues

IF Bush lied so did many Dems you love and worship

Amazing how you support the US military when a Dem is CIC PB. :laugh:

ConHog
10-17-2011, 10:18 AM

Psychoblues

The only liar around here is you. Either that or you are dumber than I feared. At WORST you can say Bush acted on bad intel. And was the intel really that bad considering the fact that Saadam has already proven that he not only had WMD but that he was willing to use them?

red states rule
10-18-2011, 02:40 AM
BTW PB, here a some quotes from the Dems who said the same thing about Iraq as Pres Bush did

So did they lie as well?

"In the four years since the inspectors left, intelligence reports show that Saddam Hussein has worked to rebuild his chemical and biological weapons stock, his missile delivery capability, and his nuclear program. He has also given aid, comfort, and sanctuary to terrorists, including Al Qaeda members, though there is apparently no evidence of his involvement in the terrible events of September 11, 2001. It is clear, however, that if left unchecked, Saddam Hussein will continue to increase his capacity to wage biological and chemical warfare, and will keep trying to develop nuclear weapons. Should he succeed in that endeavor, he could alter the political and security landscape of the Middle East, which as we know all too well affects American security." -- Hillary Clinton, October 10, 2002

"Iraq is not the only nation in the world to possess weapons of mass destruction, but it is the only nation with a leader who has used them against his own people." -- Tom Daschle in 1998
"Saddam Hussein's regime represents a grave threat to America and our allies, including our vital ally, Israel. For more than two decades, Saddam Hussein has sought weapons of mass destruction through every available means. We know that he has chemical and biological weapons. He has already used them against his neighbors and his own people, and is trying to build more. We know that he is doing everything he can to build nuclear weapons, and we know that each day he gets closer to achieving that goal." -- John Edwards, Oct 10, 2002

"Iraq does pose a serious threat to the stability of the Persian Gulf and we should organize an international coalition to eliminate his access to weapons of mass destruction. Iraq's search for weapons of mass destruction has proven impossible to completely deter and we should assume that it will continue for as long as Saddam is in power." -- Al Gore, 2002

"We are in possession of what I think to be compelling evidence that Saddam Hussein has, and has had for a number of years, a developing capacity for the production and storage of weapons of mass destruction." -- Bob Graham, December 2002

"Saddam Hussein is not the only deranged dictator who is willing to deprive his people in order to acquire weapons of mass destruction." -- Jim Jeffords, October 8, 2002
"We have known for many years that Saddam Hussein is seeking and developing weapons of mass destruction." -- Ted Kennedy, September 27, 2002

http://rightwingnews.com/quotes/demsonwmds.php