PDA

View Full Version : Senate hasn't passed a budget in 3 years, too busy with critical national issues

Little-Acorn
10-19-2011, 04:42 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONGRESS_FRENCH_FRIES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-18-20-38-59

Senate votes for unlimited potatoes in schools

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press
Oct 18, 8:38 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate threw its support behind the potato Tuesday, voting to block an Obama administration proposal to limit the vegetable on school lunch lines.

Agriculture Department rules proposed earlier this year aimed to reduce the amount of french fries in schools, limiting lunchrooms to two servings a week of potatoes and other starchy vegetables. That angered the potato industry, some school districts and members of Congress from potato-growing states, who say USDA should focus on the preparation instead and that potatoes can be a good source of fiber and potassium.

Following a bipartisan agreement on the issue, the Senate by voice vote accepted an amendment by Republican Sen. Susan Collins that would block the USDA from putting any limits on serving potatoes or other vegetables in school lunches.

ConHog
10-19-2011, 04:45 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_CONGRESS_FRENCH_FRIES?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2011-10-18-20-38-59

By MARY CLARE JALONICK
Associated Press
Oct 18, 8:38 PM EDT

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate threw its support behind the potato Tuesday, voting to block an Obama administration proposal to limit the vegetable on school lunch lines.

Agriculture Department rules proposed earlier this year aimed to reduce the amount of french fries in schools, limiting lunchrooms to two servings a week of potatoes and other starchy vegetables. That angered the potato industry, some school districts and members of Congress from potato-growing states, who say USDA should focus on the preparation instead and that potatoes can be a good source of fiber and potassium.

Following a bipartisan agreement on the issue, the Senate by voice vote accepted an amendment by Republican Sen. Susan Collins that would block the USDA from putting any limits on serving potatoes or other vegetables in school lunches.

This was a win for local schools. Potatoes are a cheap way to bulk up lunches. Yes of course it seems silly in comparison to having a budget, but not everything can be a major bill.

Thunderknuckles
10-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Like any government agency, they eventually overstep the original boundaries of their existence and get into the business of advocating what people should do, which then leads to mandating what people should do when the people don't heed their advice.

Kathianne
10-19-2011, 05:01 PM
This was a win for local schools. Potatoes are a cheap way to bulk up lunches. Yes of course it seems silly in comparison to having a budget, but not everything can be a major bill.

Potatoes are one of the most nutrient rich veggies out there, just not when they are fried or made into tater tots and fried.

This year one of the high schools I'm ate has started a baked potato bar. It's been very popular and most of the kids are combining it with the salad bar. Less of the bread crust pizza and hot pretzels selling.

They have broccoli, spinach, low fat cheese, low fat sour cream, etc.

ConHog
10-19-2011, 05:04 PM
Potatoes are one of the most nutrient rich veggies out there, just not when they are fried or made into tater tots and fried.

This year one of the high schools I'm ate has started a baked potato bar. It's been very popular and most of the kids are combining it with the salad bar. Less of the bread crust pizza and hot pretzels selling.

Sure I'd agree that they shouldn't be served fried every day. There are literally thousands of ways to use a potato.

fj1200
10-19-2011, 05:41 PM

See, it's BS like this that CAUSES the private sector to HAVE TO lobby for their political issues. I bet before this the potato industry didn't see much of a reason to have to call up their local Senator and exert "undue influence."

logroller
10-19-2011, 05:51 PM

There are also a great number of kids who won't eat healthy meals...my mom was a small district supr, where the district received near 100% title 1 funding (free/reduced lunch); she said when she implemented changes to healthier meals they just ended up in the trash. There definitely needs to be some changes to how kids eat, but opportunities to try healthier foods needs to be a grass-roots movement to work. My wife does a monthly lesson (out of pocket with some subsidy from local grocery businesses), where kids try different foods, always healthy, and finds the in-class attention nets 30-50% acceptance; which seems low, but at least they're trying it and hopefully a few kids will remain open to healthier alternatives-- but in the end, what the parents serve them at home plays a far more influential role in what kids will eat. Every year my wife finds at least one student who doesn't receive three meals a day, and sometimes school is the only full meal they get-- its sad and a reminder to those of us who have, that there are those who don't. I don't think the feds can solve the problem; but it won't solve itself either.

ConHog
10-19-2011, 06:15 PM
There are also a great number of kids who won't eat healthy meals...my mom was a small district supr, where the district received near 100% title 1 funding (free/reduced lunch); she said when she implemented changes to healthier meals they just ended up in the trash. There definitely needs to be some changes to how kids eat, but opportunities to try healthier foods needs to be a grass-roots movement to work. My wife does a monthly lesson (out of pocket with some subsidy from local grocery businesses), where kids try different foods, always healthy, and finds the in-class attention nets 30-50% acceptance; which seems low, but at least they're trying it and hopefully a few kids will remain open to healthier alternatives-- but in the end, what the parents serve them at home plays a far more influential role in what kids will eat. Every year my wife finds at least one student who doesn't receive three meals a day, and sometimes school is the only full meal they get-- its sad and a reminder to those of us who have, that there are those who don't. I don't think the feds can solve the problem; but it won't solve itself either.

Our school provides both breakfast and lunch for many of our students and comments lead me to believe that that is the only 2 meals a day many of these kids are receiving.

Kathianne
10-19-2011, 11:41 PM

The schools with the best results regarding healthier eating are those that provide an opportunity for the students to be involved. It may be that one group sets out the cutlery and trays one period. Another takes their turns wiping down the tables between lunch periods or after finished. Another works on composting, another on school garden. Art classes that illustrate the weekly lunch menu. Catching students with 'good lunches.'

No class should stay on one duty too long, they should rotate often enough to not get bored. Many schools, even urban ones are participating in the farm to schools program. Good stuff at good prices.

Schools should have the lunch ladies cooking more and not reheating those awful food service provided meals. Seriously, with the exception of schools that provide something fresh like I said regarding salad and potato bars, that reheated crud is repulsive. When that soggy, bread-like pizza is the best alternative it's a very sad state of affairs. The kids eat the fries, tater tots, sometimes the bread and always the high fructose sugar drink or frozen ice pop.

Kathianne
10-19-2011, 11:43 PM
Sure I'd agree that they shouldn't be served fried every day. There are literally thousands of ways to use a potato.

But they rarely are not fried. Occasionally there are mashed flakes, more rarely are sliced potatoes covered with a cheese sauce-really yucky!

Noir
10-19-2011, 11:51 PM
The OP is mildly confusing as it seemlessly switches between the bill being about potatoes, then French fries, then potatoes again =/

Thunderknuckles
10-20-2011, 12:20 AM
The OP is mildly confusing as it seemlessly switches between the bill being about potatoes, then French fries, then potatoes again =/
What is so confusing Noir? At this point you should not that when U.S. liberals have a problem they throw the baby out with the bathwater.

ConHog
10-20-2011, 08:32 AM
But they rarely are not fried. Occasionally there are mashed flakes, more rarely are sliced potatoes covered with a cheese sauce-really yucky!

Hmm, not at our school - which is the only one I can personally speak for. We don't do the heat and serve. Our lunchroom people actually cook. I'd rather pay someone to mash potatoes then spend the extra money buying the bagged crap. And we actually serve many more mashed potatoes than french fries. Mostly because the biggest plus is that extra mashed potatoes can be used the next morning for potato pancakes for breakfast which are quite popular.

We don't do the a potato bar, our salad bar is quite popular though. Might have to consider giving a potato bar a go. In the last I'd say 4 years we've upped our meal options considerably in terms of quality and maybe not so coincidentally our average MAT scores have risen in parallel.

Kathianne
10-20-2011, 08:41 AM
Hmm, not at our school - which is the only one I can personally speak for. We don't do the heat and serve. Our lunchroom people actually cook. I'd rather pay someone to mash potatoes then spend the extra money buying the bagged crap. And we actually serve many more mashed potatoes than french fries. Mostly because the biggest plus is that extra mashed potatoes can be used the next morning for potato pancakes for breakfast which are quite popular.

We don't do the a potato bar, our salad bar is quite popular though. Might have to consider giving a potato bar a go. In the last I'd say 4 years we've upped our meal options considerably in terms of quality and maybe not so coincidentally our average MAT scores have risen in parallel.

Then good for your school, that would be an outlier in most areas. More WH focus should be on school lunches/breakfasts and less on what is being done regarding fundraising and such in schools. The special treats aren't a problem, at home or school, what is though are daily choices of what's on their plates.

ConHog
10-20-2011, 08:46 AM
Then good for your school, that would be an outlier in most areas. More WH focus should be on school lunches/breakfasts and less on what is being done regarding fundraising and such in schools. The special treats aren't a problem, at home or school, what is though are daily choices of what's on their plates.

Well, we do have a few advantages in this area. 1. We're a smaller school so we aren't trying to feed thousands of kids a day (1600 from kindergarten-12th grade) and 2. My brother is a VP of a local food wholesaler and so we have an in when it comes to buying fresh food at the best prices.

Kathianne
10-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Well, we do have a few advantages in this area. 1. We're a smaller school so we aren't trying to feed thousands of kids a day (1600 from kindergarten-12th grade) and 2. My brother is a VP of a local food wholesaler and so we have an in when it comes to buying fresh food at the best prices.

Not necessarily. Most schools, certainly the older ones have kitchens that have basically been regulated into large commercial oven reheating sites. One or two preparers at most, with a few lesser paid to serve it up.

As for larger schools, they too would have 'connections' if the districts would allow them to go individual. The districts too could utilize connections and they do, often with kickbacks.

ConHog
10-20-2011, 09:57 AM
Not necessarily. Most schools, certainly the older ones have kitchens that have basically been regulated into large commercial oven reheating sites. One or two preparers at most, with a few lesser paid to serve it up.

As for larger schools, they too would have 'connections' if the districts would allow them to go individual. The districts too could utilize connections and they do, often with kickbacks.

I have heard proposals of having school cafeterias go private. Where a school simply hires a company to come in and serve lunches. That is another possibility to consider. I'd have to see more studies about costs and such.

fj1200
10-20-2011, 10:12 AM
I have heard proposals of having school cafeterias go private. Where a school simply hires a company to come in and serve lunches. That is another possibility to consider. I'd have to see more studies about costs and such.

Our startup charter school does that, presently at least because they have no facilities to make food but also IIRC that to meet the needs of Title I students they have to provide a free/reduced lunch option. There should be nothing wrong with privatizing that aspect assuming they can be cost effective and meet the regulations that you set down. You also get the benefits of outsourcing and focusing on the job of teaching and not the job of organizing a restaurant.

ConHog
10-20-2011, 10:26 AM
Our startup charter school does that, presently at least because they have no facilities to make food but also IIRC that to meet the needs of Title I students they have to provide a free/reduced lunch option. There should be nothing wrong with privatizing that aspect assuming they can be cost effective and meet the regulations that you set down. You also get the benefits of outsourcing and focusing on the job of teaching and not the job of organizing a restaurant.

Yes, they would have to provide reduced price and free meals. That would be one of my concerns. Would it actually cost the school more money to private the cafeteria? It's hard enough providing a nutritious meal for $3. Let alone $1.50 or even free.

fj1200
10-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Yes, they would have to provide reduced price and free meals. That would be one of my concerns. Would it actually cost the school more money to private the cafeteria? It's hard enough providing a nutritious meal for $3. Let alone $1.50 or even free.

Don't you get Fed money for those? A starting point would be to fully account for all the money you spend on providing meals including salaries you would no longer need. You probably have most of those costs at your fingertips right now being on the SB.

Lunch in high-cost Atlanta runs $3.50-3.75, which we don't use because it sucks, so I imagine you could do better in AR.