PDA

View Full Version : Darwin strikes again...

KitchenKitten99
05-15-2007, 10:18 AM
http://www.comcast.net/news/strange/index.jsp?cat=STRANGE&fn=/2007/05/14/662827.html&cvqh=tues_bullet

Teen Hurt Whacking Bullets With Hammer
By Associated Press
Mon May 14, 3:41 PM

LAKE LUZERNE, N.Y. - A teenager who put bullets in a vise and whacked them with a hammer to empty the brass shell casings was wounded in the abdomen by approximately the 100th bullet he hit, according to Warren County deputies.

Damion M. Mosher, 18, had been discharging .223-caliber rounds, placing them in a steel vise, putting a screwdriver on the primer, and striking the screwdriver with the hammer, deputies said.

Deputies were called to his home in Lake Luzerne shortly after 5 p.m. Saturday when one bullet went about a half-inch into his abdomen. He was treated at Glens Falls Hospital and was released. No charges were filed.

Mosher told authorities he was trying to empty the rounds to collect the brass casings for scrap.

Sheriff Larry Cleveland said about 100 other rounds that Mosher hit had "fizzled," but one was somehow sent with more force. It was unclear if the bullet ricocheted or hit him directly.

An employee of Capitol Scrap Co. in Albany said Monday the business pays $1.70 a pound for scrap brass shell casings. ...

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:22 AM
Imbreeding..............

Little-Acorn
05-15-2007, 10:38 AM
Actually, Darwin didn't strike in this case, at least not in the "Darwin Awards" sense. To get a Darwin Award, you actually have to kill yourself by doing something extraordinarily stupid, before you have a chance to reproduce. This kid got the extraordinarily-stupid part in spades, and probably hasn't reproduced yet. But the docs pulled him through, so no award for him. Yet.

Now if somebody would just mention to him what a good market there was for slightly-used hand grenade pins.....

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:40 AM
Actually, Darwin didn't strike in this case, at least not in the "Darwin Awards" sense. To get a Darwin Award, you actually have to kill yourself by doing something extraordinarily stupid, before you have a chance to reproduce. This kid got the extraordinarily-stupid part in spades, and probably hasn't reproduced yet. But the docs pulled him through, so no award for him. Yet.

Let's hope this kid doesn't reproduce.

Mr. P
05-15-2007, 10:42 AM
$1.70 a pound?
Damn, I know of a shooting range where folks leave piles of spend brass behind.

Easy money.

Hagbard Celine
05-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I actually did this once when I was a high adolescent. My friend held the 9mm bullet with pliers and I shot the strike plate of the casing with a bb-gun. This was after we made a bomb out of home-made napalm and a CO2 cartridge. Ahh to be a teenager again.

Hobbit
05-15-2007, 02:29 PM

Now if somebody would just mention to him what a good market there was for slightly-used hand grenade pins.....

A) You don't have to kill yourself. Sterilization is just as good. The only requirement is that you prevent yourself from reproducing (or kill your offspring in the process of getting your award).

B) Those who don't drag themselves out of the gene pool may still get an honorable mention, such as the real life mad scientist who inject both himself and his only child with deadly jellyfish venom to test his cure. It didn't work, but the ER staff was very quick and skilled.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 04:13 PM
My EE prof at school had a darwin or near darwin story for every class. My fave was the guy who went to prove that you could not electricute himself with 12 volts. So he shaved his arms, filled up two steel tubs with salt water, clamped on jumper cables between a car battery and the tubs, knelt down and put his arms in the water, and died.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 06:14 PM

Correct you are, but he is a Darwin Award wannabe. :laugh2: It would have been just if the bullet had struck just a bit lower, to render him in the category of 'inability to breed.' :laugh2: