PDA

View Full Version : Rats and Drugs Mar Occupy Oakland Tent City, officials Say

red states rule
10-21-2011, 03:18 AM
and this is the movement that will shape the future of America? This is the left's version of the Tea Party?

How many here are loving that change Obama has brought to the country?

City officials said Tuesday they may have to shut down the Occupy Oakland tent city in coming days because it is attracting rats, alcohol and illegal drug use.

A pre-existing rat problem around Frank H. Ogawa Plaza, which public works employees are normally able to keep under control, has been exacerbated by the demonstrators' presence, said city administrator spokeswoman Karen Boyd.

The problem "has gotten worse with all the food and people and couches," Boyd said. Because the protest has people cycling in and out, she added, the city is having to repeat the message about how to store food and keep the area safe.

Boyd said she wasn't sure how to describe the extent of the growing rat problem, but that it's been reported in complaints by local businesses, workers and even the demonstrators themselves.

This comes on the heels of increasing reports of illegal drug and alcohol abuse, fighting, and sexual harassment in and around the camp of about 100 tents, Boyd said. The protest has destroyed the grass lawn and it's not clear yet how much the overall expense to the city will be.

Meanwhile, concerns about the city's legal liability should anyone get seriously hurt on city property are being evaluated by the city attorney, Boyd said.

http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_19139574?nclick_check=1

logroller
10-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Drugs and violence in Oakland... In other news, gays congregate in San Francisco. :coffee:

red states rule
10-21-2011, 03:30 AM
Drugs and violence in Oakland... In other news, gays congregate in San Francisco. :coffee:

and I never knew 99% of Americans attracted rats, used drugs, and committed acts of violence until now

logroller
10-21-2011, 03:41 AM
and I never knew 99% of Americans attracted rats, used drugs, and committed acts of violence until now

nor did I know there were 99% of Americans in Oakland...but >300million people in such a small area certainly would.

red states rule
10-21-2011, 03:46 AM
nor did I know there were 99% of Americans in Oakland...but >300million people in such a small area certainly would.

Since the hippies (and liberal media) said they represent 99% of all Americans and are out to punish the evil 1% for causing all the problems, that is what I based the post on

But on a serious note, it is time for all these cities to stop pandering to these law breakers and send the squatters home (if they have one) or lock them up.

logroller
10-21-2011, 04:31 AM
Since the hippies (and liberal media) said they represent 99% of all Americans and are out to punish the evil 1% for causing all the problems, that is what I based the post on

But on a serious note, it is time for all these cities to stop pandering to these law breakers and send the squatters home (if they have one) or lock them up.

I don't think the protesters make up 1% of population, let alone 99%. Do they really think they'll have an impact, beyond reality relief for the rest of America? Its kinda like seeing all the village idiots in one place-- Phew, glad I'm not in their position!

I posted a vid on here somewhere, of a great clip from flight of the phoenix (an otherwise dismal film)
The quote goes as follows-

"People need one thing in life--somebody to love. If you can't give 'em that, give 'em something to hope for. If you can't give 'em that--just give em something to do"
I think that's what we're seeing in these protests. They feel dejected and have little hope, and they just want to feel as though they are doing something-- so they get together and try to get those thing they lack: love, hope, purpose. From the outside looking in, it's easy to dismiss them as fools, but its sad really; and at the same time comforting. Like a puppy that curls up with a stuffed animal because it desperately needs companionship. There is something amiss when their only means of helping themselves is standing around and complaining (which is no help at all really)-- which quickly erodes into pointless rambling and further disconnection for the reality. But I guess disillusion is a freedom-- a political movement even-- OCCUPY. Which isn't really movement at all if you think about, its just a position that states "give me something better to do."

ConHog
10-21-2011, 03:35 PM
I don't think the protesters make up 1% of population, let alone 99%. Do they really think they'll have an impact, beyond reality relief for the rest of America? Its kinda like seeing all the village idiots in one place-- Phew, glad I'm not in their position!

I posted a vid on here somewhere, of a great clip from flight of the phoenix (an otherwise dismal film)
The quote goes as follows-

"People need one thing in life--somebody to love. If you can't give 'em that, give 'em something to hope for. If you can't give 'em that--just give em something to do"
I think that's what we're seeing in these protests. They feel dejected and have little hope, and they just want to feel as though they are doing something-- so they get together and try to get those thing they lack: love, hope, purpose. From the outside looking in, it's easy to dismiss them as fools, but its sad really; and at the same time comforting. Like a puppy that curls up with a stuffed animal because it desperately needs companionship. There is something amiss when their only means of helping themselves is standing around and complaining (which is no help at all really)-- which quickly erodes into pointless rambling and further disconnection for the reality. But I guess disillusion is a freedom-- a political movement even-- OCCUPY. Which isn't really movement at all if you think about, its just a position that states "give me something better to do."

I Still say Uncle Sam would give them all of this if they were willing to join the military.

logroller
10-21-2011, 10:48 PM
I Still say Uncle Sam would give them all of this if they were willing to join the military.

:laugh:

Quite right. Definitely fits there bigger government agenda.

Abbey Marie
10-21-2011, 10:56 PM

Oh, now that truly is profound, Con. :thumb:

red states rule
10-22-2011, 02:44 AM
The folks of Oakland have had enough of this crap - finally!

Oakland officials Thursday night ordered protesters inspired by the Occupy Wall Street movement to vacate Frank Ogawa Plaza outside City Hall, where hundreds of people have lived since Oct. 10 in an elaborate tent city complete with a kitchen, a school and a medical tent.

A document titled "Notice to Vacate Frank Ogawa Plaza" was posted on the city's website at 8 p.m. by the office of City Administrator Deanna Santana. It said Oakland was committed to allowing free speech, but also had a responsibility to protect public safety.

"We believe that after 10 days, the City can no longer uphold public health and safety," the notice said. "In recent days, camp conditions and occupants' behavior have significantly deteriorated, and it is no longer manageable to maintain a public health and safety plan."

Violence cited

The document cited fire hazards, sanitation issues, a growing rat problem and graffiti. It referred to an "increasing frequency of violence, assaults, threats and intimidation" and complained that protesters had denied access to "emergency personnel to treat injured persons and to police to patrol the Plaza."

"As a result of these serious conditions, the Administration has determined that facilitating this expression of speech is no longer viable, nor in the interest of public health and safety," the order said. "Peaceful daytime assembly will continue to be allowed between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. daily. No tents or overnight camping permitted."

Protesters angry at economic inequality have sought to establish a mini-society in the plaza free of government control, and some have spoken of occupying the area for many months. They have established perimeter patrols in an effort to keep out police officers, and have not reported crimes to authorities, choosing instead to try to handle problems themselves.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/10/20/BATM1LKJ24.DTL#ixzz1bUiOqAz0