PDA

View Full Version : Am really digging country life

darin
10-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Great view for morning Coffee. Drank a cup w/ Pumpkin Spice "creamer" while watching the sun. I love East-facing mornings.

http://www.d-mphotos.com/sunrise-backyard.jpg

Abbey Marie
10-23-2011, 09:11 AM
I wanna be there!

red states rule
10-23-2011, 09:16 AM
I am happy for you DMP. It looks like a wonderful place to live and raise your kids

Congrats - all your hard work is paying off

darin
10-23-2011, 10:18 AM
I wanna be there!

Stop by anytime! :)

I am happy for you dmp. It looks like a wonderful place to live and raise your kids

Congrats - all your hard work is paying off

Thanks RSR; I am blessed. Now, if Politicians would stop offering up honest, hard working Fed Employees as sacrificial lambs, as 'cures' to the politicians wasteful spending, I might be able to keep a savings account. :(

red states rule
10-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Stop by anytime! :)

Thanks RSR; I am blessed. Now, if Politicians would stop offering up honest, hard working Fed Employees as sacrificial lambs, as 'cures' to the politicians wasteful spending, I might be able to keep a savings account. :(

Darin, I have no doubt there are many hard working federal workers who do work hard, and earn every cent they make

I know damn well YOU are one of them

But there is alot of fat that can, and should be cut. But we can talk about on another thread

If I ever do get a chance to meet you, I will bring the best sirloin steaks I can find and let you toss them on the grill

darin
10-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Darin, I have no doubt there are many hard working federal workers who do work hard, and earn every cent they make

But there is alot of fat that can, and should be cut. But we can talk about on another thread

If I ever do get a chance to meet you, I will bring the best sirloin steaks I can find and let you toss them on the grill

Righto - but GS salaries are NOT the problem. The problems are:

FORCING us to buy from 'disability-type' sources. We can't go FIND the lowest cost for pens and pencils; we have to buy through approved places (lighthouse for the blind, etc). We spend MILLIONS on 'alternative energy' vehicles, thus increasing our electric bills. We spend millions on service contracts to do VERY basic things. Ya know, I can't change a light bulb in my office? Right. The Gov't pays a (union thug-pressured) Contractor an obscene amount to, hours later, show up and change the light bulb.

Freezing/harming Gov't employee pay does NOTHING to 'reign in spending'. Hell, just cutting by 80% the amount of bullshit vacations and trips taken by the First Lady would save the .gov more than how many of our ENTIRE salaries for the year, not just a paltry 1-3% COLA increase. :(

If you ever get to MI, RSR, DO look me up. :)

red states rule
10-23-2011, 10:33 AM
Righto - but GS salaries are NOT the problem. The problems are:

FORCING us to buy from 'disability-type' sources. We can't go FIND the lowest cost for pens and pencils; we have to buy through approved places (lighthouse for the blind, etc). We spend MILLIONS on 'alternative energy' vehicles, thus increasing our electric bills. We spend millions on service contracts to do VERY basic things. Ya know, I can't change a light bulb in my office? Right. The Gov't pays a (union thug-pressured) Contractor an obscene amount to, hours later, show up and change the light bulb.

Freezing/harming Gov't employee pay does NOTHING to 'reign in spending'. Hell, just cutting by 80% the amount of bullshit vacations and trips taken by the First Lady would save the .gov more than how many of our ENTIRE salaries for the year, not just a paltry 1-3% COLA increase. :(

If you ever get to MI, RSR, DO look me up. :)

DMP, it would me MY honor to break bread with you and your family :salute:

ConHog
10-23-2011, 04:32 PM

I think I'd have to slap someone if they handed me sirloins.

:laugh:

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 04:35 PM
I think I'd have to slap someone if they handed me sirloins.

:laugh:

Then you've had very bad chefs in your limited experience. A well prepared sirloin beats tenderloins hands down.

ConHog
10-23-2011, 04:38 PM
Then you've had very bad chefs in your limited experience. A well prepared sirloin beats tenderloins hands down.

No, I'm just spoiled. If it's not a 180 day dry aged Porterhouse from one of my own Angus steers I'm not touching it. And if I accidentally cook it to even 1 degree more than 160 degrees internal temperature , it's dog food anyway.

We grind sirloin into hamburger around here.

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 04:41 PM
No, I'm just spoiled. If it's not a 180 day dry aged Porterhouse from one of my own Angus steers I'm not touching it. And if I accidentally cook it to even 1 degree more than 160 degrees internal temperature , it's dog food anyway.

We grind sirloin into hamburger around here.

Sirloin burgers are too dry. Gotta have some Chuck.

ConHog
10-23-2011, 04:45 PM
Sirloin burgers are too dry. Gotta have some Chuck.

Sure gotta have some fat in there; point is sirloin is a medium grade steak. If I remember correctly though RSR once said he likes his steaks well done, in which case I'd just cook the bottom of one of my shoes and give it to him, he wouldn't know the difference anyway.:laugh2:

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 05:01 PM
Sure gotta have some fat in there; point is sirloin is a medium grade steak. If I remember correctly though RSR once said he likes his steaks well done, in which case I'd just cook the bottom of one of my shoes and give it to him, he wouldn't know the difference anyway.:laugh2:
A medium rare sirloin, properly prepared and cooked is fab. Your loss.

ConHog
10-23-2011, 05:13 PM
A medium rare sirloin, properly prepared and cooked is fab. Your loss.

Absolutely correct, and the correct way to prepare one is to turn it into a nice juicy hamburger.:laugh2:

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 05:32 PM
Absolutely correct, and the correct way to prepare one is to turn it into a nice juicy hamburger.:laugh2:

It's clear, you are a god. We all bow, except those that don't.

ConHog
10-23-2011, 05:45 PM
It's clear, you are a god. We all bow, except those that don't.

Oh for God sakes.

Can you PM when you get over yourself and are enjoyable to post with again? Thanks.

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Oh for God sakes.

Can you PM when you get over yourself and are enjoyable to post with again? Thanks.

Take a gander into a mirror. Get back to us.

Abbey Marie
10-23-2011, 06:39 PM
Anyway, D, you have beautiful property. I don't eat beef, oh hypocrite that I am. I will take a tuna steak, or salmon steak, though. And don't forget that Yuengling. Or a Heiny. ;)

ConHog
10-23-2011, 09:54 PM
Anyway, D, you have beautiful property. I don't eat beef, oh hypocrite that I am. I will take a tuna steak, or salmon steak, though. And don't forget that Yuengling. Or a Heiny. ;)

Oh be still my heart, you like Heineken.

Abbey Marie
10-24-2011, 01:53 AM
Oh be still my heart, you like Heineken.

Lol, it's always been my fave. and IIRC, nothing goes better with a steak. :cool:

red states rule
10-24-2011, 01:54 AM
Lol, it's always been my fave. and IIRC, nothing goes better with a steak. :cool:

Nothing goes better with a steak then A-1 sauce

Nukeman
10-24-2011, 07:43 AM
Oh be still my heart, you like Heineken.Smithwicks is by far superior to heineken!! IMHO, and goes GREAT with steaks.

Lol, it's always been my fave. and IIRC, nothing goes better with a steak. :cool:Nope a good Smithwicks.. You must try one with a steak... You will never drink anything else

Nothing goes better with a steak then A-1 sauceRed... tsk...tsk... You have got to be kidding, either you have yet to enjoy a GREAT steak or your ruined for life with those steak sauces. You should enjoy a steak with NOTHING but the steak. and potatoes of course....

AS for good steaks I am a Ribeye man myself.. slow cooked over an open fire of hickory wood, great smokey flavour and juicy as anything... I think I know what Im having this coming weekend....:beer:

Gunny
10-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Great view for morning Coffee. Drank a cup w/ Pumpkin Spice "creamer" while watching the sun. I love East-facing mornings.

http://www.d-mphotos.com/sunrise-backyard.jpg

I hear ya. Don't have to even lock the truck at night. THAT took awhile to get over. Was broken into 4 times in SA. Oh, and I can see stars at night for the first time in a long time.

ConHog
10-24-2011, 02:19 PM
Nothing goes better with a steak then A-1 sauce

Dude come on now. I promise if you're having to put A1 on your steaks, you're over cooking them.

Abbey Marie
10-24-2011, 02:29 PM
Smithwicks is by far superior to heineken!! IMHO, and goes GREAT with steaks.

Nope a good Smithwicks.. You must try one with a steak... You will never drink anything else...

I have tried "Smiddicks" (the delightful way they pronounce it @ our local Brit pub).
For me, doesn't even come close to a Heiny. To each his own. :beer:

ConHog
10-24-2011, 03:35 PM
I have tried "Smiddicks" (the delightful way they pronounce it @ our local Brit pub).
For me, doesn't even come close to a Heiny. To each his own. :beer:

Ever drink a Fat Tire?

Abbey Marie
10-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Ever drink a Fat Tire?

No. Good?

Nukeman
10-24-2011, 04:31 PM
For me, doesn't even come close to a Heiny. To each his own. :beer:That sthe way the say it in Ireland and well. It is great over there and does pretty good in the bottle here. It does better than a Guinness if you ask me. I still thinkits awesom with a good ribeye steak over the fire. Hell a good Dublin Coddle on a cold day and rich beer is just awesome

jimnyc
10-24-2011, 04:39 PM
I used to love Heineken but prefer a wuss beer like Coors Light with my steaks. My preferred steak is a Filet Mignon, or a porterhouse, or prime rib - don't even care! So long as it's fresh and yummy, I can eat a steak 7 days a week! But around here in NY it costs so damn much. To go to a "fine" restaurant here - Morton's or Ruth's Chris - it'll be like $40-50 per person just for steak, potato and veggie - drink extra! Sure, you can do a lot cheaper at the market, but never tastes as good. I wish I was rich enough to hire a chef!

Oh, and Darin, didn't forget about you and your pic! Looks awesome, but your morning drink sounds gross! LOL I prefer just a medium roast Green Mountain daily (bout 40 cups).

No wifey pictures to go along with that sweet morning picture in the background? You're slacking!

logroller
10-24-2011, 05:27 PM
I used to love Heineken but prefer a wuss beer like Coors Light with my steaks. My preferred steak is a Filet Mignon, or a porterhouse, or prime rib - don't even care! So long as it's fresh and yummy, I can eat a steak 7 days a week! But around here in NY it costs so damn much. To go to a "fine" restaurant here - Morton's or Ruth's Chris - it'll be like $40-50 per person just for steak, potato and veggie - drink extra! Sure, you can do a lot cheaper at the market, but never tastes as good. I wish I was rich enough to hire a chef!

Oh, and Darin, didn't forget about you and your pic! Looks awesome, but your morning drink sounds gross! LOL I prefer just a medium roast Green Mountain daily (bout 40 cups).

No wifey pictures to go along with that sweet morning picture in the background? You're slacking!

hey , you know what coors light and having sex in canoe have in common?

They're both fucking close to water.

Rib eye is the best cut. Hands down. The trick to beef is it being aged, not fresh Jim. Supermarkets age their meat about 7-10 days, wholesalers 14-21 ( Mortons and ruths chris age their meat) Salt and pepper, seared over over well ashed applewood coals for 5 min/side then roasted (covered Weber kettle is the best IMO) until internal temp reaches 140 degrees (~15-20min), then ten minutes off to "rest"-- and drink the beers first-- intoxication makes everything better, except reason and the morning after, but I digress! :laugh:

the cost of meat (anything really) is best kept down by buying in bulk. i split a whole cow twice a year with friends and family,keep it in the freezer until I need it. Not sure if you have room to store meat in a freezer, what with your basement getting flooded, but its an idea you might consider.

darin
10-24-2011, 06:26 PM
I used to be a Rib Eye guy...that was THE choice cut for me..

Until I used Alton Brown's method for Porterhouse - which is my new fav. cut.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?28253-Father-s-day-dinner

fj1200
10-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Dude come on now. I promise if you're having to put A1 on your steaks, you're over cooking them.

160 IS overcooked.

red states rule
10-25-2011, 02:32 AM

I have used A-1 for over 30 years on my steaks, and I even put it on my burgers

It is a great addition to my meal

darin
10-25-2011, 05:29 AM
I grew up an A1 guy, too. Now, I generally use it on steak sandwhiches, and french fries. Cooking like I showed at link above removed A1 from my steaks. Forced me to.