PDA

View Full Version : Seriously, Has Anyone NOT Noticed Food Cost Increases?

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 03:58 PM
What are you doing differently or what do you plan to do?

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113688-11401-3-supermarkets-may-sneak-in-price-increases?hp=true?ywaad=ad0035&nc

Supermarkets May Sneak in Price Increases Quentin Fottrell
Friday, October 21, 2011

A surprise jump (Edit: the worn out 'unexpectedly') in wholesale food prices in September is bad news for producers and retailers, but you won't feel it in your wallet. Yet.

Producer prices — the amount farmers receive for their goods from manufacturers — rose by 6.9% compared to September 2010 or 0.8% on the month, the U.S. Labor Department said Tuesday. Wholesale prices — those paid by retailers — increased by an annual 2.5%; the biggest rise since June 2009. Worse, higher food prices aren't limited to a particular food group. U.S. wholesale prices rose across the board due to the rise in energy costs and commodities like grain and coffee. Fresh and dry vegetable prices soared by 10% on the year last month; beef and veal prices rose by 5.4%.

Analysts say supermarkets will start passing price increases onto consumers slowly and quietly.

"Most retailers have been reluctant to raise prices up until now and have eaten up the higher raw material costs," says Michael Keara, an equity analyst for Morningstar. "But they will start." Although food commodity prices have been climbing steadily this year, grocery stores have held off because they don't want to scare price-sensitive customers. However, expect to see supermarket prices edging up in six to nine months, he says.

Consumers watching their wallets may also want to keep a closer eye on package sizes for their favorite foods. Keara says the jumps in wholesale and producer costs are so high that manufacturers are likely to cut quantity as a way of disguising price hikes. In other words, start making a note of how many ounces you get in your six-pack of your favorite granola bars. "They don't want to shock consumers," he says, noting that increases over 5% hurts sales volumes.
Shopping experts are already advising consumers to stock up, track expiration dates and freeze perishables. "Shoppers are shopping less frequently, twice per month," says Nick Dellis, a spokesman for online grocery list site Ziplist.com. Stephanie Nelson, founder of CouponMom.com, which advises consumers on the best coupon-clipping strategies and deals, suggests buying chicken at the end of its two-week sale cycle and freezes it. Buying chicken at $2 a pound or half price saves her $450 a year.

Me? I've been on austerity food budget for over a year and a half. I mostly cook on Sat or Sunday and freeze portions. I now spend less than $25 a week on food. It's not easy, but I eat healthy and am never hungry. I cook fresh and probably have enough food on hand to last 3 months or so. Not as good as I'd like, but can carry me through most problems that might occur.

DragonStryk72
10-23-2011, 04:17 PM

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-113688-11401-3-supermarkets-may-sneak-in-price-increases?hp=true?ywaad=ad0035&nc

Me? I've been on austerity food budget for over a year and a half. I mostly cook on Sat or Sunday and freeze portions. I now spend less than $25 a week on food. It's not easy, but I eat healthy and am never hungry. I cook fresh and probably have enough food on hand to last 3 months or so. Not as good as I'd like, but can carry me through most problems that might occur.

I decided that I'm gonna start a spice garden, for one. Also probably set up a tomato planter, maybe some potatoes and such.

Kathianne
10-23-2011, 04:24 PM
I decided that I'm gonna start a spice garden, for one. Also probably set up a tomato planter, maybe some potatoes and such.

Good ideas for those that have the land to do so. My townhome association will not allow any vegetables or spices to be grown. :( while the park district has a site one can 'rent from' for nominal cost, most stuff is taken by hooligans. A joke since it's a pretty wealthy area and those doing this are just delinquents. In any case, I can't afford to spend the bucks if not going to produce savings.

Other things I do. Coupons, though not like some. I do grab those on products I use all the time and watch for the sales. In some cases have been able to add those to what the store also gives a rebate for.

Profiting off a friend's Costco or Sam's Club membership. Buying with them, (on their card), in bulk on toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, lots of staples, and splitting the costs and products. A very good idea for those newly setting up homes or those like me, newly single without kids at home. I can't use 20 lbs of flour, but do have room in freezer for 10.

Delenn
10-23-2011, 04:28 PM
I'm making soups, chili, one dish meals, muffins, stuffed red bell peppers to freeze. I wish I liked a lot of that OAMC stuff but there is quite a bit that I don't care for.

ConHog
10-23-2011, 04:29 PM

I'm going to leave my wife and kids and move into a dirty tent illegally pitched on someone's property where I will share a sleeping bag with my new friend, who will just happen to be a super hot waitress - but we'll just be friends I swear.

Together we will demand 20 lbs of flour for everyone regardless of job status. also free McDonalds for everyone and by God we'll get those evil Jewish bankers to.

Oh and we won't bother showering, nor will we let the owners of the property we're squatting in to clean up the mess we are making.

I will call this Operation Occupy the Grocery Store.

I expect it to be a rousing success.

DragonStryk72
10-23-2011, 06:43 PM
Good ideas for those that have the land to do so. My townhome association will not allow any vegetables or spices to be grown. :( while the park district has a site one can 'rent from' for nominal cost, most stuff is taken by hooligans. A joke since it's a pretty wealthy area and those doing this are just delinquents. In any case, I can't afford to spend the bucks if not going to produce savings.

Other things I do. Coupons, though not like some. I do grab those on products I use all the time and watch for the sales. In some cases have been able to add those to what the store also gives a rebate for.

Profiting off a friend's Costco or Sam's Club membership. Buying with them, (on their card), in bulk on toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, lots of staples, and splitting the costs and products. A very good idea for those newly setting up homes or those like me, newly single without kids at home. I can't use 20 lbs of flour, but do have room in freezer for 10.

Actually, you don't really need a yard. For the tomatoes, you can get planters that hang in your window, you can get pots for the spices, and about the only thing you'd need for indoor potatoes is a larger pot. The pots I use feed water into the bottom, allow the soil to absorb the water as needed, without drowning your plants. I like this because of the fact that I'm not always around to water each day.

Jiffy sells a variety of starters that come with their own little greenhouse tops to retain water vapor and heat. The same, however, can be done by cutting up and taping together some ziploc bags. You can actually create your own compost for the indoor garden with very little effort. Get a large jar with a screw on lid (most value-sized items have a large enough jar, just move it to a ziploc container, and the jar is yours). put a couple small holes in the top, and voila- instant composter. My sister uses a more complicated composting method, but mine works well when you just don't want to go that far. Compost can be made up of throwaway food easily enough (eggshells, bread crusts, and whatnot)

red states rule
10-24-2011, 03:57 AM
What are you talking about Kat. the WH has made it clear there is NO inflation. You must be watching that damn Fox News again, and listening to right wing propaganda on the radio

Everything is fine and things are getting better

(sarcasm off now)

I go to Wal Mart every week, and yes I have noticed the cost of nearly everything creeping up. Gas prices are going up here as well

Must be another one of those "bumps in the road" Obama was talking about a few months agi

10-24-2011, 03:58 PM
Just the media. And you know, the fools inflating our money.

logroller
10-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Good ideas for those that have the land to do so. My townhome association will not allow any vegetables or spices to be grown. :(

Ugh. HOAs are fascists IMHO. (aka uber liberal) Aside from that, your conservative behavior is inspirational:clap:

logroller
10-24-2011, 05:59 PM
I'm going to leave my wife and kids and move into a dirty tent illegally pitched on someone's property where I will share a sleeping bag with my new friend, who will just happen to be a super hot waitress - but we'll just be friends I swear.

Together we will demand 20 lbs of flour for everyone regardless of job status. also free McDonalds for everyone and by God we'll get those evil Jewish bankers to.

Oh and we won't bother showering, nor will we let the owners of the property we're squatting in to clean up the mess we are making.

I will call this Operation Occupy the Grocery Store.

I expect it to be a rousing success.

My wife and I caught someone pissing in our yard a few weeks ago...my wife told him "How 'bout you not piss in somebody's yard you don't even know."
to which his girlfriend, standing by the car chimed "You don't have to be such a bitch about it." --WTF!

I'm not especially judgmental (i piss in yard too), nor am I short on a witty comeback; so I couldn't let the 'bitch' comment go unaddressed. So I respond--
When your boy has his cock out the last thing anyone wants you to do with your mouth is talk.:slap:

Back to the point...when in Rome...come on by if you want-- I'll PM my address if you interested. You can even use the shower, especially with that hot waitress-- provided you leave the door open a smidgen.:thumb:

ConHog
10-25-2011, 08:32 AM
My wife and I caught someone pissing in our yard a few weeks ago...my wife told him "How 'bout you not piss in somebody's yard you don't even know."
to which his girlfriend, standing by the car chimed "You don't have to be such a bitch about it." --WTF!

I'm not especially judgmental (i piss in yard too), nor am I short on a witty comeback; so I couldn't let the 'bitch' comment go unaddressed. So I respond--
When your boy has his cock out the last thing anyone wants you to do with your mouth is talk.:slap:

Back to the point...when in Rome...come on by if you want-- I'll PM my address if you interested. You can even use the shower, especially with that hot waitress-- provided you leave the door open a smidgen.:thumb:

Nothing makes me madder than people who disrespect my property. I have 300 acres and am surrounded by other large properties. My land is posted "hunting with permission only" not because I care if people hunt on it, but because amazingly enough people will use your land and tear up your fences, rile up your livestock (or shoot them "accidentally"), leave gates open, etc etc. What is wrong with people?

And yes, I piss anywhere on my property if I have to go, provided no women are around of course. But it is MY property. I wouldn't take too kindly to someone pissing in my yard with my family looking on either.