PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts and prayers for my sister

SassyLady
10-27-2011, 03:40 AM
As many of you know, I have a younger sister who has been battling cancer for 8 years. Last summer she had congestive heart failure and complete renal failure and all of your thoughts, prayers and positive energy helped pull her through that one. After a week in the hospital and a month up here recuperating with me she was able to go home and participate in a new clinical trial.

However, the new chemo didn't work....the cancer came back with a vengeance. This summer they found two tumors in her lungs and one on her ovaries. Her doctor told her to prepare her bucket list and we completed a couple of them in September. Then they decided she qualified to have a new type of radiation therapy for the tumors in the lungs called:

The CyberKnife® Robotic Radiosurgery System is a non-invasive alternative to surgery for the treatment of both cancerous and non-cancerous tumors anywhere in the body, including the prostate, lung, brain, spine, liver, pancreas and kidney. The treatment – which delivers high doses of radiation to tumors with extreme accuracy – offers new hope to patients who have inoperable or surgically complex tumors, or who may be looking for a non-surgical option. To date, more than 100,000 patients have been treated and 240 systems are installed worldwide.

http://www.cyberknife.com/CyberknifeTreat.aspx

In order to use this machine they had to do some minor surgery and implant some magnets in her lungs. After she got past that, then the treatments were 45 min on three different days. Sure beats the old radiation therapy of seven weeks. We don't know when/what they will do about the ovarian tumor; I'll keep you posted.

She's very weak and tired and it would be nice to have your positive thoughts and prayers once again.

red states rule
10-27-2011, 03:43 AM
Prayers and thoughts are on their way S, and they will continue on a daily basis

Kathianne
10-27-2011, 05:31 AM
SL I do remember your posting on her, she is in my prayers again. All the best for her and hers!

darin
10-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Aww, Sassy. :( <3 to you and your dear sister.

Delenn
10-27-2011, 03:02 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this.

SassyLady
10-30-2011, 10:02 PM
Thanks everyone for your kind words, positive thoughts and prayers. Drove down on Friday to visit with my sister(s) (who are identical twins BTW). We went out Friday night to celebrate the end of the radiation treatments and had a good time. Lots of people ... she has a great support network.

Guess what ... I had not played pool in almost 20 years and I discovered that it's like riding a bike...you never forget the basics (my mom was a pool shark and taught us well).

Anyway, sister is in lots of pain and has hard time breathing; doctor is putting her back on the Herceptin and chemo ... which means she has to go in once a week and get hooked up to an IV .... she really did want to come up and stay with me for awhile. That's our next goal ... to get her cancer controlled enough so she can come visit for a couple of weeks.

red states rule
10-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Thanks everyone for your kind words, positive thoughts and prayers. Drove down on Friday to visit with my sister(s) (who are identical twins BTW). We went out Friday night to celebrate the end of the radiation treatments and had a good time. Lots of people ... she has a great support network.

Guess what ... I had not played pool in almost 20 years and I discovered that it's like riding a bike...you never forget the basics (my mom was a pool shark and taught us well).

Anyway, sister is in lots of pain and has hard time breathing; doctor is putting her back on the Herceptin and chemo ... which means she has to go in once a week and get hooked up to an IV .... she really did want to come up and stay with me for awhile. That's our next goal ... to get her cancer controlled enough so she can come visit for a couple of weeks.

The thoughts and prayers continue SL, and I do hope she is able to make the trip

God bless you and your family

Abbey Marie
11-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Prayers for sis- she's a fighter like you..