PDA

View Full Version : Damn snow!

jimnyc
10-30-2011, 10:37 AM
With the leaves still on the trees and the snow/ice building up quickly yesterday, trees and wires galore were down here in Westchester County, NY. We lost power yesterday and didn't get it back until late and internet didn't come back until just a short while ago. Driving around my neighborhood you would think a tornado ran through town, small branches and entire trees are down. I suppose I should consider myself "lucky" as I saw quite a bit of damage to cars and houses, and thousands are still without power.

I'm 43 and I've seen snow enough for my lifetime. I'd prefer to move at this point and never see the shit again. We got about 4-6 inches of snow together with a ton of rain which made it VERY heavy. Luckily the majority of it is melting today. I'm not shoveling any of this crap unless I really, really have to.

red states rule
10-30-2011, 10:43 AM
With the leaves still on the trees and the snow/ice building up quickly yesterday, trees and wires galore were down here in Westchester County, NY. We lost power yesterday and didn't get it back until late and internet didn't come back until just a short while ago. Driving around my neighborhood you would think a tornado ran through town, small branches and entire trees are down. I suppose I should consider myself "lucky" as I saw quite a bit of damage to cars and houses, and thousands are still without power.

I'm 43 and I've seen snow enough for my lifetime. I'd prefer to move at this point and never see the shit again. We got about 4-6 inches of snow together with a ton of rain which made it VERY heavy. Luckily the majority of it is melting today. I'm not shoveling any of this crap unless I really, really have to.

Looks like you guys are geeting most of this global warming storm. I just went to the grocery store and the roads are clean, and the snow is melting pretty good here

I did not lose power and I made it thru this latest bout of global wamring OK

I hope things get for you soo Jim. Meanwhile I hope Al Gore gets stuck in a snow drift on his way to a global warming conference

Jeff
10-30-2011, 10:39 PM
I feel for Y'all up there but it was cold down here in the south also, I went for a ride on the bike today and it was cold I think we never got higher than 68 or so :laugh:

red states rule
10-31-2011, 02:54 AM
I feel for Y'all up there but it was cold down here in the south also, I went for a ride on the bike today and it was cold I think we never got higher than 68 or so :laugh:

What snow we did get will be gone soon. For the rest of the week we will be in the high 50's

I do hope those without power get it back soon since at night the temps will fall back into the 30's

darin
10-31-2011, 05:17 AM
I am completely jealous, Jim. :( We have no snow. In fact, this morning the temps were in the mid 40s. I hate it. 20 degrees too hot.

jimnyc
10-31-2011, 08:33 AM
I am completely jealous, Jim. :( We have no snow. In fact, this morning the temps were in the mid 40s. I hate it. 20 degrees too hot.

Be jealous of the cool looking portion of the snow storms - but be glad you aren't losing power and having tree branches fall and scratching up your vehicles! Snow storms ARE awesome, but the damage and cleanup loses its luster after awhile!

darin
10-31-2011, 08:56 AM
I get that, Jim. I don't mind the power outages though; since we got the generator - need a few more gallons of gas, though. Maybe i'm itching to flex/test my 'am I prepared' skills?

logroller
10-31-2011, 12:04 PM

Where I live, we've had snow 2 times in 35 years, once it was 6 inches, the other only about 3-- its more of a novelty. Its funny when people talk about global warming because we've had rather mild temperatures, even for California. Here it's all about drought; not so much from lack of rain, but rather the lack of snowpack. You'd mentioned the wet snow, that's what we've had the last few years. Especially this last year, where precip was higher (a good thing) but the snow melted sooner making water storage more costly. Reservoirs (many of which are hydroelectric) become over-burdened and they're forced to let them flow free and we then have to pump it out of the ground later for use. CA spends about 15% of its energy for water related uses; which is roughly the energy created by all four of our nuke plants. With energy costs rising, it all becomes inter-related. AB32 was passed here in 2008(?) and it set goals for clean energy and lower CO2 emissions. I doubt we'll hit the goals and many people blame it for businesses leaving; but I have to wonder if the problem isn't just too many people using too much energy, and a few million less people may very well be the most realistic solution.

KitchenKitten99
10-31-2011, 10:01 PM
Qwitcherbitchin', Jim! :p

This may have been 20 years ago today, but it still is the biggest storm on record in MN:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S2352391.shtml?cat=0

"A storm that hit Minnesota 20 years ago is in the record books as one of the state's most significant weather events.

Minnesota Twins fans were still celebrating the team's World Series win when the `Halloween Blizzard of 1991' arrived. The National Weather Service issued a storm watch the morning of the Oct. 31. Trick-or-treaters put on their winter coats and boots to gather candy as they trudged through the accumulating snow. The next day, hundreds of businesses and schools shut down, including 3M and Honeywell. ..."

I still went out trick or treating. Though my cousins and I were pretty much the only ones. Most of those who did answer the door (or the ones that weren't out shoveling), pretty much dumped handfuls of their candy (if not the entire contents) into our pillowcases/bags.

red states rule
11-01-2011, 03:58 AM
The snow here is all but gone. Temps will reach the mid 50's today and over 60 tomorrow. People are still without power, but I escaped without any problems