PDA

View Full Version : Refrigerator Ice Maker broke

glockmail
05-15-2007, 05:32 PM
I bought an Electrolux refrigerator two tears ago, floor model with a one year warrantee.

The electronics are now shot. You cannot change the temps in either compartment but luckily they are set correctly. It was contantly beeping an alarm so I found the elctronics board and pulled the beeper off.

It has never chilled the water on the door. Now the ice maker broke for the second time, and is out of warranty. Last time the repair guy said it might have something to do with turning the water off in the house when I'm away (for weeks at a time). Something to do with lack of water pressure causing it to freeze. I'm thinking about putting a little pressure tank on the house system to keep 10 gallons on the system under pressure. That way if a pipe bursts I only have a 10 gallon leak instead of 100,000. Any bets that this will fix the ice maker?

Mr. P
05-15-2007, 05:39 PM
I bought an Electrolux refrigerator two tears ago, floor model with a one year warrantee.

The electronics are now shot. You cannot change the temps in either compartment but luckily they are set correctly. It was contantly beeping an alarm so I found the elctronics board and pulled the beeper off.

It has never chilled the water on the door. Now the ice maker broke for the second time, and is out of warranty. Last time the repair guy said it might have something to do with turning the water off in the house when I'm away (for weeks at a time). Something to do with lack of water pressure causing it to freeze. I'm thinking about putting a little pressure tank on the house system to keep 10 gallons on the system under pressure. That way if a pipe bursts I only have a 10 gallon leak instead of 100,000. Any bets that this will fix the ice maker?

I don't think it will. I turn my main water supply of when I leave for any extended time too. I've never had the problems you describe.

Maybe a new electronic board? Fox Appliance here in Ga sells all kinds of parts. Prices are good as well and they have a web site.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't think it will. I turn my main water supply of when I leave for any extended time too. I've never had the problems you describe.

Maybe a new electronic board? Fox Appliance here in Ga sells all kinds of parts. Prices are good as well and they have a web site. I don't think the electronics have anything to do with it, as they crapped out after the ice maker had problems the first time.

Mr. P
05-15-2007, 07:12 PM
I don't think the electronics have anything to do with it, as they crapped out after the ice maker had problems the first time.

But is it all on the same card? I've seen puter cards that had both audio and modem on the same card. One part can fail but not the other..Just a thought.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 07:35 PM

It has never chilled the water on the door. Now the ice maker broke for the second time, and is out of warranty. Last time the repair guy said it might have something to do with turning the water off in the house when I'm away (for weeks at a time). Something to do with lack of water pressure causing it to freeze. I'm thinking about putting a little pressure tank on the house system to keep 10 gallons on the system under pressure. That way if a pipe bursts I only have a 10 gallon leak instead of 100,000. Any bets that this will fix the ice maker?I can't help you, but I know I'd be a very unhappy customer. Electrolux are expensive.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 07:36 PM
But is it all on the same card? I've seen puter cards that had both audio and modem on the same card. One part can fail but not the other..Just a thought.

You have to basically lift the refrigerator off the floor to get into the card more than a tweak. I know the whole card ain't broke, since the power failure alarm continued to work- you just couldn't shut it off. There is probably a second card in the control panel that is totally broken, as none of the temperature controls work, along with some stupid alarms, and the little light that turns from green to yellow then red, telling you to spend another $50 on a water filter. Come to think about it, they all quit around the same time. The water filter light was yellow, and I was looking to buy a replacement filter, but then the light turned green again and has stayed there.

I don't see how either board would control the ice maker, as its a simple unit that is similar to my old fridge with no electronics.

No, I think the computer only controls changes in the temperature settings from default, . All three of those are kaput.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 07:39 PM
I can't help you, but I know I'd be a very unhappy customer. Electrolux are expensive. It was a floor model and I got it for cheaper than a mid-range GE. Its all stainless with hidden hinges and stuff- looks like a mini Sub Zero.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 07:41 PM
It was a floor model and I got it for cheaper than a mid-range GE. Its all stainless with hidden hinges and stuff- looks like a mini Sub Zero.

Very good looking I agree. Still, I'd think Electrolux might help you out, to keep you from 'badmouthing' their product? Use whatever levers you can.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
Part of the problem is that I'm only at the house on some weekends- when their help line is shut down. Their nearest tech is 2 hours away, so they hire a guy from Sears who is closer. Of course he can only come during the week so I can either give him the run of the place or stay over a day, loosing a day's work and another half-tank of gas. Then he typically doesn't have a part so I have to make a second set of arrangements for a lost day and more gas. Plus the guy has a string of excuses for why the situation is my problem: the house is too cold when I'm away, the water is turned off, the ice machine is not used enough, blah, blah.

I've learned a long time ago that it usally takes less time to fix something yourself than to have some other bozo do it for you. Plus a bag of ice goes for a buck fifty.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Put an on off valve on the water imput line to your fridge.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Part of the problem is that I'm only at the house on some weekends- when their help line is shut down. Their nearest tech is 2 hours away, so they hire a guy from Sears who is closer. Of course he can only come during the week so I can either give him the run of the place or stay over a day, loosing a day's work and another half-tank of gas. Then he typically doesn't have a part so I have to make a second set of arrangements for a lost day and more gas. Plus the guy has a string of excuses for why the situation is my problem: the house is too cold when I'm away, the water is turned off, the ice machine is not used enough, blah, blah.

I've learned a long time ago that it usally takes less time to fix something yourself than to have some other bozo do it for you. Plus a bag of ice goes for a buck fifty.

I used to be a manager for Sear's. Get the Better Business Bureau involved, Appliance maker's do not want them involved because they bring a lot of bad press. Electrolux used to be owned by Fridgidaire and all their products were garbage, so I constantly told my customers to get the BBB involved and 9 times out of 10 they replaced the unit for them.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Put an on off valve on the water imput line to your fridge. There is one where it connects to the supply. What is that supposed to do besides turn the water off, like I do at the house supply whenever I leave for extended periods?

glockmail
05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
I used to be a manager for Sear's. Get the Better Business Bureau involved, Appliance maker's do not want them involved because they bring a lot of bad press. Electrolux used to be owned by Fridgidaire and all their products were garbage, so I constantly told my customers to get the BBB involved and 9 times out of 10 they replaced the unit for them.
I've delt with the BBB before and got zero satisfaction. Besides the warantee period is past. They'll just tell me to pound sand.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:45 PM
The other thing is all thes Appliance Companies own eachother now days. Whirlpool (which is the best brand to get hands down) makes Kitchen Aid and Kirkland(Costco brand Appliances) and the majority of Kenmore Appliances(Fridgidare and LG make some too, but they are both crap), Maytag makes Jenn Air(both brands are garbage).

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:05 PM
The other thing is all thes Appliance Companies own eachother now days. Whirlpool (which is the best brand to get hands down) makes Kitchen Aid and Kirkland(Costco brand Appliances) and the majority of Kenmore Appliances(Fridgidare and LG make some too, but they are both crap), Maytag makes Jenn Air(both brands are garbage). I have a basic whirlpool that's 11 years old and it works great. My only complaint with it is that it flexes on its feet when you open a door, even after several attepts to lele it, and its not the floor flexing either. The frame is very light and cheap. By comparison the electolux is a tank.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 09:56 PM
I've delt with the BBB before and got zero satisfaction. Besides the warantee period is past. They'll just tell me to pound sand.

Not normally. They will automatically forward your complaint to the company, it doesn't hurt to try. I think it's www.bbb.org

glockmail
05-15-2007, 10:01 PM
Not normally. They will automatically forward your complaint to the company, it doesn't hurt to try. I think it's www.bbb.org

I'll prolly call electrolux again. The fix they tried just didn't work. They were nice to me last time, as it was out of warantee then as well. Its just such a pain in the ass.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:03 PM
I'll prolly call electrolux again. The fix they tried just didn't work. They were nice to me last time, as it was out of warantee then as well. Its just such a pain in the ass.

If it cost's to much I would just junk it.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 10:10 PM
If it cost's to much I would just junk it. Everything that I want to work on it does- except the blasted ice maker. Plus it looks beautiful.

What you are suggesting is like tossing out Cathy Ireland because she doesn't give head.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Everything that I want to work on it does- except the blasted ice maker. Plus it looks beautiful.

What you are suggesting is like tossing out Cathy Ireland because she doesn't give head.

I would!

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
Everything that I want to work on it does- except the blasted ice maker. Plus it looks beautiful.

That's when you trade the female in for the new model.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 10:13 PM
I would! But if she loved the missionary? You a foo!

Mr. P
05-15-2007, 10:35 PM
But if she loved the missionary? You a foo!

Yeah but...when they get HIGH maintenance..toss em.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:41 PM
But if she loved the missionary? You a foo!

Females are like cars, you have to trade them in every so often.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Yeah but...when they get HIGH maintenance..toss em. Ireland has a substantial income from her business ventures. She's a smart lady.

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 08:43 AM
I have a question along the lines of this thread. My fridge doesn't keep anything cold anymore. My freezer freezes stuff, but it takes forever. What's the deal with my refridgerator?

Dilloduck
05-16-2007, 08:46 AM
I have a question along the lines of this thread. My fridge doesn't keep anything cold anymore. My freezer freezes stuff, but it takes forever. What's the deal with my refridgerator?

Cleaned all the dust from below and behind it recently ? Dirty coils will do it everytime.

Mr. P
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Cleaned all the dust from below and behind it recently ? Dirty coils will do it everytime.

Yeah, and start closing the door, that'll help. :poke:

glockmail
05-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Cleaned all the dust from below and behind it recently ? Dirty coils will do it everytime. That's pretty much all you can do, plus make sure that there is plenty of circulation going on around the coil area. The compressor and all that are hermetically sealed in refrigerators, and generally work until they break, requiring you to replace the whole thing.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 08:55 AM
Yeah, and start closing the door, that'll help. :poke: Stop drinking so much beer that you forget to close it, I say. :cheers2:

Mr. P
05-16-2007, 08:59 AM
That's pretty much all you can do, plus make sure that there is plenty of circulation going on around the coil area. The compressor and all that are hermetically sealed in refrigerators, and generally work until they break, requiring you to replace the whole thing.

And since the freezer works we know the system has coolant and the compressor is working.

1. Check the setting on the frig control. Seems dumb but maybe someone moved it to a warmer temp.

2. What kind of frig is it? How old?

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah, and start closing the door, that'll help. :poke:

I'll try cleaning the coils--I hadn't thought of that. That very well could be the problem because it's an old fridge that came with the house. The door is bent at the top, left corner so the magnetic strip doesn't make a complete seal. There's a small sliver of open space in it. Could that be enough to keep it from getting cold?

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:04 AM
And since the freezer works we know the system has coolant and the compressor is working.

1. Check the setting on the frig control. Seems dumb but maybe someone moved it to a warmer temp.

2. What kind of frig is it? How old? There may also be some vents between the compartments that need to be cleaned of mold and rats nests. :poke:

Mr. P
05-16-2007, 09:05 AM
I'll try cleaning the coils--I hadn't thought of that. That very well could be the problem because it's an old fridge that came with the house. The door is bent at the top, left corner so the magnetic strip doesn't make a complete seal. There's a small sliver of open space in it. Could that be enough to keep it from getting cold?

I'd say it's very possible. How much of a gap? 1/2 in? More/less?

Shoot a pic and post it.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:06 AM
I'll try cleaning the coils--I hadn't thought of that. That very well could be the problem because it's an old fridge that came with the house. The door is bent at the top, left corner so the magnetic strip doesn't make a complete seal. There's a small sliver of open space in it. Could that be enough to keep it from getting cold? Ding ding! You and your buds have to stop tossing the old girl around when you get drunk. You dented the poor old bird!

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 09:07 AM
There may also be some vents between the compartments that need to be cleaned of mold and rats nests. :poke:

I guess I just need to set aside a day to take the thing apart and clean-out all the bird nests, dead hookers and dust bunnies. That'd probably help.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I guess I just need to set aside a day to take the thing apart and clean-out all the bird nests, dead hookers and dust bunnies. That'd probably help. You never forget your first cold girl.:laugh:

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 09:09 AM
I'd say it's very possible. How much of a gap? 1/2 in? More/less?

Shoot a pic and post it.

It's less than a half-inch. I'd say it's about 3/16 to a 1/4-inch wide at it's widest. And it's about four to five inches long. Keep the penis jokes to a minimum please. :coffee:

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
http://www.stpauligirl.com/pastgirls.php

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:12 AM
It's less than a half-inch. I'd say it's about 3/16 to a 1/4-inch wide at it's widest. And it's about four to five inches long. Keep the penis jokes to a minimum please. :coffee: That's definitely the prob. :slap:

Mr. P
05-16-2007, 09:13 AM
It's less than a half-inch. I'd say it's about 3/16 to a 1/4-inch wide at it's widest. And it's about four to five inches long. Keep the penis jokes to a minimum please. :coffee:

You might try some self stick weather stripping to fill that gap and see what happens. Just an of the cuff thought.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:14 AM
You might try some self stick weather stripping to fill that gap and see what happens. Just an of the cuff thought. I'd try bending the door back first.

Mr. P
05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
I'd try bending the door back first.

If possible yes. We need a pic of the gap and the bend.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
If possible yes. We need a pic of the gap and the bend.

http://www.stpauligirl.com/images/ad-stripa.jpg

glockmail
05-16-2007, 09:26 AM
I have a little book somewhere on autobody repair, discussing ways to bend metal back into shape. A refrigerator door is similar. The basic concept is to figure out the sequence of the damage, then reverse that sequence.

Knowing Hagbard, he was prolly tossed inside the refrigerator, and his buddies were on the outside trying to keep him from coming out. So the solution would be to stuff his buddies in the fridge, and have Hagbard try and get them out.

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 09:38 AM
I have a little book somewhere on autobody repair, discussing ways to bend metal back into shape. A refrigerator door is similar. The basic concept is to figure out the sequence of the damage, then reverse that sequence.

Knowing Hagbard, he was prolly tossed inside the refrigerator, and his buddies were on the outside trying to keep him from coming out. So the solution would be to stuff his buddies in the fridge, and have Hagbard try and get them out.

I think it's simpler than that. The door seems to be off because of the hinge it is on. I think if I remove the door and bend the hinge up a little the door will be aligned properly. I'm not at home right now so I can't get a picture to ya'll today.

glockmail
07-25-2007, 08:03 PM

Well I went up to the place last weekend and the icemaker is now working. This seems to point to that it may be freezing during the winter with the heat turned down to 50 or so. But if so it must have taken a long damn time to unfreeze during the summer. My previous trip was 3 weeks prior and it was not working then. The water was turned off when I was not there so the tech was full of shit on his theory.