View Full Version : Michael Moore Challenges Fred Thompson To Debate

jimnyc
05-15-2007, 06:21 PM
<tt><tt><tt> Senator Fred Thompson
American Enterprise Institute
110 Seventeenth Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20036

Dear Senator Thompson,

Given that it has been publicly reported in The Weekly Standard, a leading neo-conservative publication, that you support Fidel Castro and the Cuban regime by being a purveyor of fine Cuban exports despite the trade embargo, I was surprised to see your recent op ed in a more traditional conservative outlet, The National Review, regarding my trip to Cuba (I suspect you choose The National Review in an effort to pander to an outlet that had criticized you for your opposition to medical malpractice legislation).

In your May 2, 2007 National Review article, "Paradise Island," you specifically raised concerns about whether my trip to Cuba with 9/11 heroes, who have suffered serious health problems as a result of their exposure to toxic substances at Ground Zero that have gone untreated was somehow going to support Castro ad the Cuban government:

"It always leaves me shaking my head when I read about some big-time actor or director going to Cuba and gushing all over Castro." [http://article.nationalreview.com/?q=OWNhNzA2YmY3NTNjZjZhNjE1NmZjMDFkOTdjN2Q4ZmE=]

Putting aside the fact that you, like the Bush Administration, seem far more concerned about the trip to Cuba than the health care of these 9/11 heroes, I was struck by the fact that your concerns (including comments about CastroÕs reported financial worth) apparently do not extend to your own conduct, as reported in The Weekly Standard's April 23, 2007 story, "From the Courthouse to the White House Fred Thompson auditions for the leading role" (emphasis added):

"Thompson's work space looks just like what the home office of a successful politician or CEO should look like -- though a little messier: a large desk, dark wood, leather furniture, lots of books and magazines and newspapers, a flat-screen TV, and box upon box of cigars -- Montecristos from Havana." [http://weeklystandard.com/Utilities/printer_preview.asp?idArticle=13528&R=1136E33842]

In light of your comments regarding Cuba and Castro, do you think the "box upon box of cigars -- Montecristos from Havana" that you have in your office have contributed to CastroÕs reported wealth?

While I will leave it up to the conservatives to debate your hypocrisy and the Treasury Department to determine whether the "box upon box of cigars" violates the trade embargo, I hereby challenge you to a health care debate.

Survey after survey has indicated that health care is one of the top issues to the American voters. Today, more than 46 million people lack health are coverage, including 9 million children. We pay significantly more than any other country in the world -- and get less back. Americans life expectancy is lower than other Ground Zero 9/11 workers live in a society where the Bush Administration has shown more concern about their travel than about their health.

Our debate would provide you an opportunity to appeal to the right wing of the Republican Party by continuing to attack me; it would give me a chance to discuss health care and tell you exactly what happened in Cuba, given your apparent inters; and it would provide the American people an opportunity to see just how serious Hollywood can be, with a purported conservative and an avowed progressive Hollywood personality on stage.

Over the course of the debate, we could specifically address the following issues:

(1) Your work as a lobbyist in light of the fact that the health care and insurance industries have maintained the current health care system through their effective control of the political establishment.

(2) The fact that you raised hundred of thousands of dollars in campaign contributions from the health care and insurance industries.

(3) Discuss the fact, highlighted in yet another conservative outlet The New York Sun, that you inexplicably wanted to cut funding for AIDS research. [http://www.nysunpolitics.com/blog/2007/05/thompsons-1994-issue-positions.html]

(4) Your relationship with the Frist family and by extension HCA, one of the nation's largest for-profit hospital chains. It has been reported that former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (who was renowned for his over-the-television-screen Schiavo diagnosis) is serving as one of your confidantes on your potential presidential campaign. The Frist family has historically controlled HCA, which paid a record $1.7 billion in civil and criminal fines, including a $631 million penalty for Medicaid fraud -- in other words, ripping off the taxpayers.

(5) Discussing whether Arthur Branch, as the District Attorney of Manhattan, supports a woman's right to choose, gun safety reforms, gay marriage, the trans fat ban and anti-smoking laws (which would impact Cuban cigars, including your Montecristos).

Like American Idol, we could even have the country vote to determine which one of us wins the debate. Though in the spirit of full disclosure, I feel obligated to forewarn you that I was the winner of the 1971-72 Detroit Free Press Debate Award for the state of Michigan.

The winner of our health care debate could even light a Victory cigar with one of your Montecristos (though we may want to consider shopping them to the safe house where I have put a master copy of SiCKO in the event that the Bush Administration tries to seize the film).

Sincerely,

Michael Moore

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash6.htm
</tt></tt></tt>

jimnyc
05-15-2007, 06:22 PM
Fred Thompson's reply:

<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docId=-8029495293276651129" height="350" width="425">

</object>

jimnyc
05-15-2007, 06:23 PM
That was outstanding! A polite way to tell Moore to go ^%$# his fat self!

KarlMarx
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=611

I couldn't see the reply in Jim's original post , but I saw it at the link above.

I have to hand it to Fred Thompson, he is very good at presenting himself on television and very at ease in front of the camera.

He certainly handles himself much better than Bush does. Whether you like Bush or not, you have to admit that he just doesn't come across very well on TV. I'd say "wooden", in fact.

This is the second video of Fred Thompson I've seen. I don't know if Fred Thompson has a chance to win the White House but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe that he knows how to handle himself.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:16 PM
Micheal Moore is a POS and should be charged with treason.

Gunny
05-15-2007, 08:21 PM
That was outstanding! A polite way to tell Moore to go ^%$# his fat self!

Michael Moore couldn't last 5 minutes with Thompson. He's nowhere near Thompson's league.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 08:23 PM
http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=611

I couldn't see the reply in Jim's original post , but I saw it at the link above.

I have to hand it to Fred Thompson, he is very good at presenting himself on television and very at ease in front of the camera.

He certainly handles himself much better than Bush does. Whether you like Bush or not, you have to admit that he just doesn't come across very well on TV. I'd say "wooden", in fact.

This is the second video of Fred Thompson I've seen. I don't know if Fred Thompson has a chance to win the White House but everything I've seen so far leads me to believe that he knows how to handle himself.

That was just simply OUTSTANDING! :clap:

Yurt
05-15-2007, 08:38 PM
We need more Fred Thompsons...

:clap:

Gunny
05-15-2007, 08:39 PM
We need more Fred Thompsons...

:clap:

Just ONE tossing his hat in the ring will suffice for now.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Michael Moore couldn't last 5 minutes with Thompson. He's nowhere near Thompson's league.

Michael Moore couldn't last more then 5 minutes with anyone, all's he does is babble on and produce his propaganda against our Government.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Hell if I could contact him, I would challenge him to a debate, anywhere anytime.

Yurt
05-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Just ONE tossing his hat in the ring will suffice for now.

For "now." But the republican party needs more Freds, period. I think out party has become to pussyfooted when responding to the vicious attackes by the looberals. Bush rarely responds outright and when he does, it is like reading a script. Clinton, for all his man whore ways, was able to directly diffuse a "dissenter" by using common sense language that made the accuser look stupid and vengeful. Like Fred did. Absolutely brilliant response. The fact he made it a video brings it to a higher level in terms of brilliance.

IMHO

Yurt
05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Hell if I could contact him, I would challenge him to a debate, anywhere anytime.

You'd have to tie one half of your brain behind your back.....

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 08:58 PM
If you support Fred Thompson theres a website with a petition to urge him to run for President www.fred08.com

Gunny
05-15-2007, 09:00 PM
For "now." But the republican party needs more Freds, period. I think out party has become to pussyfooted when responding to the vicious attackes by the looberals. Bush rarely responds outright and when he does, it is like reading a script. Clinton, for all his man whore ways, was able to directly diffuse a "dissenter" by using common sense language that made the accuser look stupid and vengeful. Like Fred did. Absolutely brilliant response. The fact he made it a video brings it to a higher level in terms of brilliance.

IMHO

I will DEFINITELY agree the GOP has become the "no balls" party.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:12 PM
I'd just wait 5 minutes until he starts to jam more food down his hole, then jam it all the way in for him. To help the guy out, ya know.

gabosaurus
05-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Michael Moore will not debate anyone unless it is shown on national TV and covered extensively by the media. Moore doesn't care about issues. He cares about publicity for himself. He's an arrogant blow hard who hurt the progressive movement more than he helps it.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 09:16 PM
Michael Moore will not debate anyone unless it is shown on national TV and covered extensively by the media. Moore doesn't care about issues. He cares about publicity for himself. He's an arrogant blow hard who hurt the progressive movement more than he helps it.

Really? Kinda the Michael Savage of the Left?

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 09:23 PM

He is an embarassment to Liberals, and that is saying a lot as the majority of Liberals are an embarassment.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:24 PM
How did Savage hurt conservatives?

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:25 PM
He is an embarassment to Liberals, and that is saying a lot as the majority of Liberals are an embarassment. He's only an embarassment becuase he's fat and ugly. If he looked like Robert Redford they'd swoon over the guy.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:26 PM
Michael Moore will not debate anyone unless it is shown on national TV and covered extensively by the media. Moore doesn't care about issues. He cares about publicity for himself. He's an arrogant blow hard who hurt the progressive movement more than he helps it. That's actually the very first post of yours that made sense.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 09:33 PM
I'd just wait 5 minutes until he starts to jam more food down his hole, then jam it all the way in for him. To help the guy out, ya know.

My hands are going nowhere near his mouth, eww hell no.

Yurt
05-15-2007, 09:33 PM

:confused:

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 09:34 PM
:confused:

Michael Moore. Compute?

Yurt
05-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Michael Moore. Compute?

Savage is not mm....nor anything like him.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Savage is not mm....nor anything like him.

Savage is to the 'right' what Moore is to the 'left'. Both are wannabes.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:45 PM
My hands are going nowhere near his mouth, eww hell no. Damn I didn't think it through. ... but, I can wear chain mail gloves and use a plunger.

:laugh2:

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
Savage is to the 'right' what Moore is to the 'left'. Both are wannabes. Bull. Savage is a visionary.

lily
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
He's only an embarassment becuase he's fat and ugly. If he looked like Robert Redford they'd swoon over the guy.

I don't think so, not this Liberal anyway. I live in Michigan I know what a phony he is and how he uses/abuses the citizens of Flint in every movie he makes....and they are movies, not documentaries.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Damn I didn't think it through. ... but, I can wear chain mail gloves and use a plunger.

:laugh2:

That doesn't stop him from trying to eat you too though! Did you see the mockery they made of him in Team America?

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 09:49 PM
Bull. Savage is a visionary.

Of what? Give me a break. Seriously. I listen to him, including his fake quotes.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:50 PM
I don't think so, not this Liberal anyway. I live in Michigan I know what a phony he is and how he uses/abuses the citizens of Flint in every movie he makes....and they are movies, not documentaries. That's only because you use your brain. Most libs don't. Take Barbara Streisand, Alec Baldwin, Sean Penn, for example.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:52 PM
That doesn't stop him from trying to eat you too though! Did you see the mockery they made of him in Team America? You ever see chain mail gloves?

Haven't seen that movie.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Of what? Give me a break. Seriously. I listen to him, including his fake quotes. What fake quotes? You just don't understand him. He sees where this nation, and this world, are going. when you're speaking spanish or wearing a burka then you will figure out what he's talking about.

Yurt
05-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Savage is to the 'right' what Moore is to the 'left'. Both are wannabes.

Wrong. How can you possibly compare? Provide specific proof.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:01 PM
You ever see chain mail gloves?

Haven't seen that movie.

No I havent. It's a really funny movie from the creators of South Park. It basically makes fun of terrorists. It is all done in puppets. A must see movie.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 10:06 PM
No I havent. It's a really funny movie from the creators of South Park. It basically makes fun of terrorists. It is all done in puppets. A must see movie. Chain male was used for battle armor back when men were men. They still make the gloves for super hazardous work, like opening up medical sharps containers and stuff.

I've seen the South PArk on Saddam- that was funny shit.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:10 PM
Chain male was used for battle armor back when men were men. They still make the gloves for super hazardous work, like opening up medical sharps containers and stuff.

I've seen the South PArk on Saddam- that was funny shit.

Then you'd love Team America..........

glockmail
05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Then you'd love Team America.......... I'll have to put it on my DVD rent list.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM
I'll have to put it on my DVD rent list.

Make sure it is the Unrated version.

glockmail
05-15-2007, 10:15 PM
Make sure it is the Unrated version. I'll have to wait until my kids are in college then.

Kathianne
05-15-2007, 10:17 PM
Then you'd love Team America..........

Seriously, one of my fav movies of all time. Skewered both sides of political spectrum.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Seriously, one of my fav movies of all time. Skewered both sides of political spectrum.

Not only that it ripped on Terrorists, North Korea, Alec Baldwin, Matt Damon, Michael Moore, Sean Penn could you ask for anything more in a movie?

KarlMarx
05-16-2007, 06:00 AM
My advice to Michael Moore, if in the very unlikely event that Fred Thompson agreed to debate him, is to wear a clean T-shirt.

I'll weigh in on Michael Savage too. I can't stand to listen to the guy. He is way too negative, he belittles his callers (like Dr. Laura did, she's another one I can't stand to listen to). I tried listening to him just to give him the benefit of the doubt. The final straw came when he started praising Slobodan Milosevic and claiming that he was simply "misunderstood".

I have to thank Michael Savage for one thing, though. Because the wasn't anything else on the radio as I returned from work at night except his radio show , I began listening to recorded books. I think that helped me learn quite a few new things.

glockmail
05-16-2007, 07:35 AM

I'll weigh in on Michael Savage too. .... The final straw came when he started praising Slobodan Milosevic and claiming that he was simply "misunderstood".

I think you caught him on a sarcastic moment?

MtnBiker
05-16-2007, 08:15 PM
I think Micheal Moore should challenge Rosie to an eating contest.

glockmail
05-17-2007, 07:21 AM
I think Micheal Moore should challenge Rosie to an eating contest. Clams and hot dogs.

KarlMarx
05-17-2007, 08:30 AM
I think Micheal Moore should challenge Rosie to an eating contest.
Yes, the farmers of this country could sure use the financial boost! :)