PDA

View Full Version : Cafe Laid Off 21 Workers Because of Occupy Wall Street

red states rule
11-02-2011, 02:35 AM
Thnaks to the useful idiots more people have now lost their jobs. This is just one business we know of. How many more have had to layoff workers and/or lost money because of the parasites in the streets?

Twenty-one restaurant workers lost their jobs last week because of the disruptions caused by the Occupy Wall Street (http://www.dnainfo.com/tags/occupy-wall-street) protests, the cafe owner said Tuesday.

Marc Epstein, owner of the Milk Street Cafe (http://newyork.milkstreetcafe.com/Default.aspx) at 40 Wall St., said he had no choice but to let nearly a quarter of his staff go last Friday after he saw his sales drop by 30 percent in the six weeks since the protests started.

"What are [the protesters] trying to accomplish here?" Epstein asked Monday. "The end result is that I and all the wonderful people who work for me are collateral damage."

Epstein said he supports people's right to protest, but said the biggest problem is the police barricades that have lined Wall Street since Sept. 17, making it difficult for people to see his restaurant and cross the street to get to it. Epstein has also had to contend with closed subway entrances, police checkpoints and frequent Occupy Wall Street marches, which he said have dampened the Financial District's formerly thriving street life.

"Now, Wall Street is deserted," Epstein said. "The only people who walk down Wall Street are people who have to walk down Wall Street. It's transformed from a beautiful pedestrian mall to a police siege."

Epstein just opened the 23,000-square-foot Milk Street Cafe in June (http://www.dnainfo.com/20110623/downtown/milk-street-cafe-opens-large-lunch-crowds-on-wall-street), marking the first expansion of the eatery and catering business with the same name that he and his wife opened in Boston 30 years ago. Using loans and private investors, Epstein poured $4 million into the project and said he was proud to be part of lower Manhattan's revitalization.

Read more: http://www.dnainfo.com/20111101/downtown/financial-district-cafe-lays-off-21-workers-because-of-occupy-wall-street#ixzz1cXjCqSxf

ConHog
11-02-2011, 08:10 PM
oh come on. If a 6 week long slump in business hurt him that bad he wasn't doing too well to begin with.

No , I'm not saying that the Occupiers aren't affecting business. But I bet dude was on shaky financial ground anyway.

red states rule
11-03-2011, 02:17 AM
oh come on. If a 6 week long slump in business hurt him that bad he wasn't doing too well to begin with.

No , I'm not saying that the Occupiers aren't affecting business. But I bet dude was on shaky financial ground anyway.

Wow, now you are a small business expert. I am impressed CH!

A 30% drop in business would hurt any business. His business is not the only one hurting thanks to the parasites in the street and the inaction of the Mayor to sweep the streets clean of the trash

ConHog
11-03-2011, 12:11 PM
Wow, now you are a small business expert. I am impressed CH!

A 30% drop in business would hurt any business. His business is not the only one hurting thanks to the parasites in the street and the inaction of the Mayor to sweep the streets clean of the trash

I think I'm just going to stop responding to you at this point. You have just taken to being an ass towards me for no reason other than I disagree with you on a few things.

I CLEARLY acknowledged that the protestors were no doubt hurting his business. But 21 employees laid off because of a 6 week long drop? I doubt it. SOunds like the guy was overextended to begin with.

DragonStryk72
11-03-2011, 12:15 PM
I think I'm just going to stop responding to you at this point. You have just taken to being an ass towards me for no reason other than I disagree with you on a few things.

I CLEARLY acknowledged that the protestors were no doubt hurting his business. But 21 employees laid off because of a 6 week long drop? I doubt it. SOunds like the guy was overextended to begin with.

Yeah, I gotta agree with you Conhog, but that's even more to the point, really. These protests are against big business, which isn't really being affected by them, while small businesses around it are getting hurt.

ConHog
11-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Yeah, I gotta agree with you Conhog, but that's even more to the point, really. These protests are against big business, which isn't really being affected by them, while small businesses around it are getting hurt.

I honestly don't think they are smart enough to grok the difference between a small business and "big business" they are just hating on anyone who has more than them, which is virtually everyone.

fj1200
11-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Who said he was overextended? And how can you be surprised that a labor intensive retail operation would have to lay off 25% of his workforce when his sales drop by 30%? But I guess his 30 years of experience in the same business doesn't count for much.

ConHog
11-03-2011, 04:02 PM
Who said he was overextended? And how can you be surprised that a labor intensive retail operation would have to lay off 25% of his workforce when his sales drop by 30%? But I guess his 30 years of experience in the same business doesn't count for much.

I said it was my OPINION. Which is certainly as valid as your own.

fj1200
11-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I said it was my OPINION. Which is certainly as valid as your own.

Yes, and both are subordinate to the guy with experience in the business and made decisions based on what is actually going on.

ConHog
11-03-2011, 05:40 PM
Yes, and both are subordinate to the guy with experience in the business and made decisions based on what is actually going on.

Well seeings as how it looks like that guy made bad decisions (was it REALLY a good idea to invest $3M in today's uncertain economy?) I would suggest that maybe you and I have just as valid of opinions as he does.

fj1200
11-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Well seeings as how it looks like that guy made bad decisions (was it REALLY a good idea to invest $3M in today's uncertain economy?) I would suggest that maybe you and I have just as valid of opinions as he does.

So your contention is that his SWOT analysis should have considered the possibility that his block would have been the epicenter of a rising national/global protest against the evils of capitalism and that the police would have to cordon off access to his street because of it? I guess you'll never be starting a business if you're going to have to consider all of that. :rolleyes: So what was his bad decision?

ConHog
11-03-2011, 06:56 PM
So your contention is that his SWOT analysis should have considered the possibility that his block would have been the epicenter of a rising national/global protest against the evils of capitalism and that the police would have to cordon off access to his street because of it? I guess you'll never be starting a business if you're going to have to consider all of that. :rolleyes: So what was his bad decision?

Again, I find it implausible that this 6 week interruption alone was enough to force him to have to lay off 21 employees. That is all I am saying.

fj1200
11-03-2011, 06:58 PM
His sales dropped 30%, what's implausible?

ConHog
11-03-2011, 07:05 PM
His sales dropped 30%, what's implausible?

See, no $3M investment and he wouldn't have had such high overhead and thus no need for such high sales to begin with. I thought companies were socking cash away to weather the storm? Sheesh, sounds like bad planning coupled with the OWS nerds got him, not just the OWS and now he doesn't want to face the consequences of his own actions, so easier just to blame OWS.

LuvRPgrl
11-03-2011, 10:12 PM
See, no $3M investment and he wouldn't have had such high overhead and thus no need for such high sales to begin with. I thought companies were socking cash away to weather the storm? Sheesh, sounds like bad planning coupled with the OWS nerds got him, not just the OWS and now he doesn't want to face the consequences of his own actions, so easier just to blame OWS.

Oh my god, you didnt really just say that did you? I guess everyone who is unemployed cant bitch cuz they are just facing the consequences of their own actions.

LuvRPgrl
11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
Again, I find it implausible that this 6 week interruption alone was enough to force him to have to lay off 21 employees.
well then what else contributed?

That is all I am saying.no its not. You have said all kinds of other things, like, it was a bad decision, ows ers are hurting businesses, small businesses should be saving cash, that either he shouldnt have started the business due to the bad economy, or he wasnt running his businees very well, that his business was on shaky ground anyways, that he was overextended.
AND, THAT YOUR OPINION AS TO WHY OR WHO IS TO BLAME IS JUSY AS GOOD AS HIS.

DragonStryk72
11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
I honestly don't think they are smart enough to grok the difference between a small business and "big business" they are just hating on anyone who has more than them, which is virtually everyone.

No, they know the difference, but the problem is that they don't understand the impact.

fj1200
11-03-2011, 10:40 PM

Do you seriously hear yourself? Who is better to judge the investment than the guy with 30 years of experience in the business? Do you stop to consider that the best time to make an investment like this is when everyone has doubts on the economy and financing and equipment costs could be as cheap as he'll ever get? Thank God we have entrepreneurs like him who will take a chance.

LuvRPgrl
11-03-2011, 10:58 PM
No, they know the difference, but the problem is that they don't understand the impact.

to be honest,I think they do know the impact, they just dont care. Typical liberals always excuse what they are doing is ok, if they are hurting some, cuz its the greater good that is important. They need to feel llike they are doing something important.

LuvRPgrl
11-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Do you seriously hear yourself? Who is better to judge the investment than the guy with 30 years of experience in the business? Do you stop to consider that the best time to make an investment like this is when everyone has doubts on the economy and financing and equipment costs could be as cheap as he'll ever get? Thank God we have entrepreneurs like him who will take a chance.It

I was thinking the exact same thing. It sounds like the guy was doing fine until,,,,like you said, he couldnt really anticipate.

So, since he was doing fine, either
1. Its a good business to start even in a bad economy, _)(there are quite a few of those_)
2. He is so good at it , that he was bucking the odds.

red states rule
11-04-2011, 02:47 AM

You are the one who made the stupid comment that a reduction of 30% of the man's income for 6 weeks should not impacted him to the point where he had to lay off staff

Anyone who would think that is not living in the real world.

Is this another example of you trying to see both sides of the issue?

red states rule
11-04-2011, 02:51 AM

Why don't you write a book and educate the rest of us how we can continue to live the same lifestyle with with 30% less income

You can do it since you have so much time on your hands CH

red states rule
11-04-2011, 03:59 AM

Damn, and I thought OCA had an attitude and claimed to know it all

Gunny
11-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I think clearing these leeches off the street might work just fine. I must have missed the part of the Constitution that says people can protest when-and-wherever they feel like it. Seems to me it says we have a right to redress grievances, and a right to freedom of expression.

How does that weigh against the owner's Right to conduct business he is paying taxes and fees in order to do? Whether or not he was "doing great" is irrelevant. Who IS in this economy? The fact is, he had to let a quarter of his workforce go to meet his bottom line all because a bunch of spoiled, do-nothings want to disrupt everyone's lives since they don't have any.

LuvRPgrl
11-06-2011, 10:37 AM
Damn, and I thought OCA had an attitude and claimed to know it allha

what I find incredible is anyone having the gall to tell someone they shouldnt have been trying to start a business in a bad economy.

I mean WTF,,??????

so, if Im driving in the rain and a guy runs a red light and plows into me, I shouldnt have been driving in the rain?

absolute, unmitigated gall

LuvRPgrl
11-06-2011, 10:40 AM
i think clearing these leeches off the street might work just fine. I must have missed the part of the constitution that says people can protest when-and-wherever they feel like it. Seems to me it says we have a right to redress grievances, and a right to freedom of expression.

How does that weigh against the owner's right to conduct business he is paying taxes and fees in order to do? whether or not he was "doing great" is irrelevant. who is in this economy? The fact is, he had to let a quarter of his workforce go to meet his bottom line all because a bunch of spoiled, do-nothings want to disrupt everyone's lives since they don't have any.

ding ding ding ding ding, right answer !!

red states rule
11-07-2011, 03:30 AM
I think clearing these leeches off the street might work just fine. I must have missed the part of the Constitution that says people can protest when-and-wherever they feel like it. Seems to me it says we have a right to redress grievances, and a right to freedom of expression.

How does that weigh against the owner's Right to conduct business he is paying taxes and fees in order to do? Whether or not he was "doing great" is irrelevant. Who IS in this economy? The fact is, he had to let a quarter of his workforce go to meet his bottom line all because a bunch of spoiled, do-nothings want to disrupt everyone's lives since they don't have any.

It is the perfect example of modern day liberalism. You bitch and moan is the streets demanding more jobs - while putting the very people you claim to care about out of work

and you blame the owner of the business for poor financial planning as the reason they are now out of work