PDA

View Full Version : How Did Occupy D.C. Protesters Respond to a Table Full of Job Applications?

red states rule
11-03-2011, 02:41 AM
So the hippies are demanding jobs eh?

No, more like screw jobs - give us handouts

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DhrvOeDxBrw" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

CSM
11-03-2011, 06:06 AM
So reminds me of th ehippies of the 60's.

DragonStryk72
11-03-2011, 10:41 PM
So reminds me of th ehippies of the 60's.

I don't know, I mean the hippies were mostly protesting the Vietnam War, which at least had solid grounding. You're screaming that there aren't any jobs out there, and then won't take any when they're provided to you.

red states rule
11-04-2011, 02:29 AM
I don't know, I mean the hippies were mostly protesting the Vietnam War, which at least had solid grounding. You're screaming that there aren't any jobs out there, and then won't take any when they're provided to you.

They are from the same mold. Both were violent. Both did not respect private property. Both used drugs. Both fought with Police

In this case, here is more evidence to expose them as nothing but freeloaders who refuse to work to get what they want in life

They want others to give it to them

DragonStryk72
11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
They are from the same mold. Both were violent. Both did not respect private property. Both used drugs. Both fought with Police

In this case, here is more evidence to expose them as nothing but freeloaders who refuse to work to get what they want in life

They want others to give it to them

Eh, the hippies though, if you offered them what they had wanted, an end to the war, would have just gone home. Notably different than a group that openly spurns jobs when offered, then bitches cause there aren't any jobs.

logroller
11-04-2011, 01:06 PM
So the hippies are demanding jobs eh?

No, more like screw jobs - give us handouts

<iframe height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DhrvOeDxBrw" frameborder="0" width="560" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

That's awesome they would do that. I hope some do get jobs, it'd be interesting to see a follow up-- maybe a reality TV show...

DragonStryk72
11-04-2011, 08:33 PM
Actually, they have a couple of good ideas, such as moving their money out of banks, and into credit unions. I just got my brother and sister moved over to Navy Federal Credit union. the main problem is the ratio of good ideas to bad ideas.

logroller
11-04-2011, 11:11 PM
Actually, they have a couple of good ideas, such as moving their money out of banks, and into credit unions. I just got my brother and sister moved over to Navy Federal Credit union. the main problem is the ratio of good ideas to bad ideas.

Oh yeah BofA dropped that $5/mo thing, i guess they lost a lot of customers. I've been with a credit union since i was 19, having switched over fees, and that was 15 yrs ago.

About the ratio of good ideas to bad, I think its just the nature of a dissident movement. Posturing to make a point, rather than realistic consideration of solutions. The issue I have with most of them, at least from what's reported, is that few speculate about their role in actually making change, as though humming and hawing over the problems means anything changes. There is but one thing which brings about change for the better-- hard work.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 10:09 AM
They need to bring that table over here and let ME have a look-see.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
It's interesting how much heat OWS takes.

DragonStryk72
11-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Same thing can be said for the Tea Party. I still remember when they first started calling the Tea Party racist, they then used footage of this guy in a white button down shirt with a shoulder smg as a sort of proof of gun nuts. Well, they clipped away from him before you could see his hands and face, and it turns out later that, apparently, he was black. Now somehow, it wasn't racist for the media to purposely work to exclude him, but the Tea Party was racist even though the do have minorities in the Tea Party there of their own volition.

Generally, I've been somewhat defending the Occupiers, even though I don't really agree with them. I think that, yes, the banks fucked up, and corporations certainly took advantage, but it was the government that put the loopholes and such in that got exploited. Blaming the corporation, imo, is blaming the symptom.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
Same thing can be said for the Tea Party. I still remember when they first started calling the Tea Party racist, they then used footage of this guy in a white button down shirt with a shoulder smg as a sort of proof of gun nuts. Well, they clipped away from him before you could see his hands and face, and it turns out later that, apparently, he was black. Now somehow, it wasn't racist for the media to purposely work to exclude him, but the Tea Party was racist even though the do have minorities in the Tea Party there of their own volition.

Generally, I've been somewhat defending the Occupiers, even though I don't really agree with them. I think that, yes, the banks fucked up, and corporations certainly took advantage, but it was the government that put the loopholes and such in that got exploited. Blaming the corporation, imo, is blaming the symptom.

They are rightly blaming the corruption and corportate greed that led to the economic collapse we're in. If I lived in NY I would be there when I had time.

fj1200
11-06-2011, 03:06 PM
They are rightly blaming the corruption and corportate greed that led to the economic collapse we're in. If I lived in NY I would be there when I had time.

Actually they are wrongly blaming it on "corruption and corporate greed" and wrongly not blaming it on government, and Federal Reserve, failures in regulating the economy.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Actually they are wrongly blaming it on "corruption and corporate greed" and wrongly not blaming it on government, and Federal Reserve, failures in regulating the economy.

You forget the Bush era deregulated those entities.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 04:35 PM

He forgot that? Because I thought he in fact said the government was to blame. Bush was part of the government wasn't he?

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 04:45 PM
He forgot that? Because I thought he in fact said the government was to blame. Bush was part of the government wasn't he?

Bush was in bed with big business. His actions while in office caused the US to do the following:

1. We cut taxes.

2. We spent $2 trillion on two unwinnable wars.

3. We doubled discretionary spending. Some conservatives originally aimed to starve the beast by cutting taxes in order to force future cuts in spending. But spending grew so out of control in Bush's term that no beast was starved. In fact, the beast was fed.

4. We added entitlement benefits like the Medicare drug benefit.

5. We entered the largest economic and financial crisis ever, which caused a huge increase in the deficit through the "recession deficit" and the cost of bailing out the banks and financial institutions.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/18412fe8-4823-11e0-b323-00144feab49a,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F18412fe8-4823-11e0-b323-00144feab49a.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.debatepolicy.com%2Fsho wthread.php%3F33190-How-Did-Occupy-D.C.-Protesters-Respond-to-a-Table-Full-of-Job-Applications%26p%3D503340%23post503340

ConHog
11-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Bush was in bed with big business. His actions while in office caused the US to do the following:

1. We cut taxes.

3. We doubled discretionary spending. Some conservatives originally aimed to starve the beast by cutting taxes in order to force future cuts in spending. But spending grew so out of control in Bush's term that no beast was starved. In fact, the beast was fed.

5. We entered the largest economic and financial crisis ever, which caused a huge increase in the deficit through the "recession deficit" and the cost of bailing out the banks and financial institutions.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/18412fe8-4823-11e0-b323-00144feab49a,Authorised=false.html?_i_location=htt p%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcms%2Fs%2F0%2F18412fe8-4823-11e0-b323-00144feab49a.html&_i_referer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.debatepolicy.com%2Fsho wthread.php%3F33190-How-Did-Occupy-D.C.-Protesters-Respond-to-a-Table-Full-of-Job-Applications%26p%3D503340%23post503340

Who do you think was the last Presidential candidate who was not in bed with big business? I'll give you a hint, it's not Obama.

DragonStryk72
11-06-2011, 05:08 PM

Again, it's a symptom, not the disease. They only took advantage because the government set up the way to do so, and until the government laws change, the corporations are going to continue to act in this manner.

As well, some of their hoarding is not based on greed, but on the instability of the economy currently. They're cutting costs, and yeah, they're raking in profits, but they're not expanding with those profits, they're not getting new customers. Why? Because, basically, imo, they are trying to weather the storm by defending the money they have. Unfortunately, that's actually counter-productive.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 07:03 PM

Not really. It's amazing a bunch of rednecks haven't run their asses out of Dodge for the losers they are.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 07:05 PM

They are wrongly demanding what they haven't earned.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 07:07 PM

Try again. Clinton made it nice n easy for people who couldn't afford houing/loans to have them anyway. Imagine that. They couldn't pay. Not sure how THAT happened.:cuckoo:

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 07:12 PM
who do you think was the last presidential candidate who was not in bed with big business? I'll give you a hint, it's not obama.

fdr?

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 07:13 PM
Try again. Clinton made it nice n easy for people who couldn't afford houing/loans to have them anyway. Imagine that. They couldn't pay. Not sure how THAT happened.:cuckoo:

I never said Clinton didn't make mistakes. Clinton left the economy in good shape. Bush did not.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 07:15 PM
I never said Clinton didn't make mistakes. Clinton left the economy in good shape. Bush did not.

Sure he did. Well, aside from sowing the seeds that caused the economic disaster in 2008.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Sure he did. Well, aside from sowing the seeds that caused the economic disaster in 2008.

Clinton left office with a federal budget surplus of 127 billion. Eight years of Bush was economically disasterous for the US.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 07:33 PM
Clinton left office with a federal budget surplus of 127 billion. Eight years of Bush was economically disasterous for the US.

I wonder if you are truly aware of just how little the President can affect the budget? Sure they can affect it a little one way or the other, but ultimately it is CONGRESS who who has the most affect on the budget.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 07:37 PM
You seem to think that Bush was powerless but Obama omnipotent. Bush has NO responsibility for the financial mess we're in and Obama has ALL the responsibility.

Not much understanding of the long view in our country. This mess we're in has been 40 years in coming.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 07:44 PM

And he was in debt in other areas of the economy. That veneer he pasted over on the US public along with the leftwingnut media was a sham. Period.

Bush could only do what he could with what Clinton left him. Clinton left a disastrous housing policy and a foreign policy he spent 8 years ignoring. Try that one on someone who wasn't there and not serving while he did the best he could to play dodgeball until his term was up.

You lefties are stupid. Everything Clinton did is Bush's fault and everything Obama's done is Bush's fault. Grow up.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
You seem to think that Bush was powerless but Obama omnipotent. Bush has NO responsibility for the financial mess we're in and Obama has ALL the responsibility.

Not much understanding of the long view in our country. This mess we're in has been 40 years in coming.

Who does? I just said that President's don't have much affect on the budget. That means Presidents regardless of who is in office.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Who does? I just said that President's don't have much affect on the budget. That means Presidents regardless of who is in office.

The President DOES have to sign the budget into law. Congress however is in charge of creating the budget. Last I checked, Clinton had a GOP majority in Congress his last term.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 08:50 PM
The President DOES have to sign the budget into law. Congress however is in charge of creating the budget. Last I checked, Clinton had a GOP majority in Congress his last term.

With the elimination of the line item veto, the President has very little say of the budget. Sure he proposes it and sure has to approve the final draft, but in the end well.

and here's something sky completely ignores. Apparently we don't even need a stinking budget. Which is a misnomer anyway those fucks in Congress wouldn't know how to stay within a budget if they're lives depended on it.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 08:53 PM
How we got into this mess is interdependent. No one party is to blame. Americans don't take the long view, like they do in Asia.

Gunny
11-06-2011, 09:23 PM
How we got into this mess is interdependent. No one party is to blame. Americans don't take the long view, like they do in Asia.

One line of thinking is to blame. The spoon-fed, cradle-to-grave is to blame. People that work for what they earn don't need Big Brother.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 09:43 PM
One line of thinking is to blame. The spoon-fed, cradle-to-grave is to blame. People that work for what they earn don't need Big Brother.

I disagree.

I think politicians who think they can just do whatever they want and spent whatever they want are to blame. And there are those on BOTH sides . Even the so called conservatives who think spending $20B on a freaking airplane is acceptable. Youve been in the military, I KNOW you know there are areas that could be trimmed down in the defense budget, and of course entitlements are ridiculous and don't even get me started on borrowing money from China to loan to other countries....

Put my wife in charge of the budget and it would be balanced in a month.

red states rule
11-07-2011, 03:32 AM

Heat for what?

The rapes? The drung use? The violence?

Or are those topics irrelevant?

red states rule
11-07-2011, 03:38 AM

Actually Clinton laid the foundation for the mess we are in now. From the NY Times and please note the date of the article

Fannie Mae Eases Credit To Aid Mortgage Lending

<!-- Module ends: article-header-->By STEVEN A. HOLMES
Published: September 30, 1999

<!-- Module ends: article-byline-->In a move that could help increase home ownership rates among minorities and low-income consumers, the Fannie Mae Corporation is easing the credit requirements on loans that it will purchase from banks and other lenders.

The action, which will begin as a pilot program involving 24 banks in 15 markets -- including the New York metropolitan region -- will encourage those banks to extend home mortgages to individuals whose credit is generally not good enough to qualify for conventional loans. Fannie Mae officials say they hope to make it a nationwide program by next spring.

Fannie Mae, the nation's biggest underwriter of home mortgages, has been under increasing pressure from the Clinton Administration to expand mortgage loans among low and moderate income people and felt pressure from stock holders to maintain its phenomenal growth in profits.

In addition, banks, thrift institutions and mortgage companies have been pressing Fannie Mae to help them make more loans to so-called subprime borrowers. These borrowers whose incomes, credit ratings and savings are not good enough to qualify for conventional loans, can only get loans from finance companies that charge much higher interest rates -- anywhere from three to four percentage points higher than conventional loans.

<!-- Module ends: a-body-first-para-->
http://www.nytimes.com/1999/09/30/business/fannie-mae-eases-credit-to-aid-mortgage-lending.html

red states rule
11-07-2011, 04:38 AM

Actually they are freeloards who want others to pay for what they want in life and are unable to attain on their own

Watch the video - it sums up the hippies just fine

Home Depot Founder Calls Protesters ‘Babies in Adult Bodies’

Ken Langone is not known for sitting on his opinions. Last summer, the co-founder of Home Depot made headlines with his stinging criticisms of President Obama (http://www.theblaze.com/stories/another-home-depot-co-founder-blasts-obama-hes-unpresidential-and-willfully-dividing-us/).

During a Friday appearance on CNBC’s “Squawk Box,” the outspoken Ken Langone told interviewer Andrew Ross Sorkin exactly how he feels about the protesters in Zuccotti Park.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/home-depot-founder-calls-protesters-babies-in-adult-bodies/

fj1200
11-07-2011, 05:48 AM

No, do a little actual research. Glass-Steagal was repealed under Clinton. Pushed by his economic team, Rubin at Treasury, Summers, etc. Bush actually attempted to enforce stricter regulatory rules at Fannie and Freddie. Nevertheless, deregulation is not the culprit you wish it to be. Are you going to overlook the years of moral hazard that came about because government was going to protect us? Remove the responsibilities of risk long enough from economic actors and they will start to ignore that risk.

fj1200
11-07-2011, 05:53 AM

1. We cut taxes.

1. We cut tax rates. Revenues are a function of GDP not rates.
2. I thought it was $1 TT.
3. Discretionary income did go up but deficits were coming down through the Bush term.
4. Entitlements are bad, so what happens after Bush? Entitlement writ large via HC "reform."
5. How so? Besides, I'd say the Great Depression was far worse and so would most economists I'm guessing.

fj1200
11-07-2011, 05:55 AM

Hmmm, Republican Congress (you know, the ones who actually make the budget) when Clinton left office and a Democrat Congress when Bush left office.

fj1200
11-07-2011, 05:58 AM

I thought you didn't like Government being in bed with Big Business? Because that's what they do in Asia.

revelarts
11-07-2011, 06:59 AM
I don't get why it's so hard to admit that BOTH the gov't and Wall st. are at fault.
some how so many here say that the Gov't "forced" the Wall st to "Make mistakes" or take stupid Risk".
BS. they KNEW when they created Dirivatives out of BS mortagage and rated them high and sold them. that they were selling Crap. Crap that could collaspse the market. Many others where committing fraud on other levels, there are E-mails form the big investment banks that PROVE they knew they were Selling Packages of trash as Gold. and then going to bank with there fraudulently gotten gains. FJ keeps telling me if they aren't prosecuted for it there's no crime. Well I guess OJ is Innocent too then. He was wasn't prosecuted for murder therefore NO CRIME NO FOUL. Murder is only wrong if you go to jail for it.
PLUS many of the deregulations are Bipartisan because the Banks and former FED and Goldman Sachs etc employees write or consult on the legislation from their revolving door post in the treasury dept, SEC and elsewhere. Yes some of it came from Democrats and some from republicans and Some directly from the banks eagar to Be free of some decent regs. And they Created A BAIL OUT BILLS, WRITTEN BY THEMSELVES (GS) FOR THEMSELVES at the expense of everyone else. That was no mistake or bad risk. I don't get how people can defend the banks for doing just what they complain that other do. ASKing the Gov't to help them when THEY HAVE FAILED. And you want to help them play the VICTEM CARD?
"Ohh the gov't hurt me, I can't make trillions only billions under these terrible regulations. I HAVE TO cheat my CUSTOMERS, I HAVE TOO COMMIT FRAUD, Because the Gov't MADE me do it, I made a few "mistakes" though , so Now you HAVE TO GIVE ME Free/cheap GOV'T LOANS to KEEP MY BIZ ALIVE , or else becuase it the gov't's fault.. ." If one of your democrat neighbors used that line RedStaterule would be MOCKING him with Cartoons, Curses and jokes about how he looks likes a hippy.
The Point is they ALL have had a hand in it, the WALL ST BANKS and the Federal Reserve have had a serious corrupt and corrupting hand in creating the fix we're in, from start to finish.

the OWS may not have it all together but they've pick a valid target, not the only one but a VERY REAL one. The Wall St Banks are the hands behind the congress in many cases.

fj1200
11-07-2011, 01:53 PM
I don't get why it's so hard to admit that BOTH the gov't and Wall st. are at fault.

... BS. they KNEW when they created Dirivatives out of BS mortagage and rated them high and sold them. that they were selling Crap. Crap that could collaspse the market. Many others where committing fraud on other levels, there are E-mails form the big investment banks that PROVE they knew they were Selling Packages of trash as Gold. and then going to bank with there fraudulently gotten gains. FJ keeps telling me if they aren't prosecuted for it there's no crime. Well I guess OJ is Innocent too then. He was wasn't prosecuted for murder therefore NO CRIME NO FOUL. Murder is only wrong if you go to jail for it.

the OWS may not have it all together but they've pick a valid target, not the only one but a VERY REAL one. The Wall St Banks are the hands behind the congress in many cases.

"Wall Street" exists under rules created by Washington and in an economic environment dominated by Washington... Wall Street has been insulated from risk by Washington and the Federal Reserve... Where do you suspect the actual power resides?

There isn't anything wrong with derivatives by themselves and they didn't KNOW, they might have SUSPECTED and were willing to make a BET, but the other side of the trade is doing their own due diligence at the same time. And I think I keep asking you to tell me which law they violated; that's a completely different thing.

OWS picked the Wall Street target because by and large they are FOR a bigger, more intrusive government. For them to acknowledge where the actual corruption lies would destroy their whole ideology.

red states rule
11-08-2011, 03:27 AM
Now the hippies are using children as human shields. What a bunch of losers

<IFRAME title="MRC TV video player" height=360 src="http://www.mrctv.org/embed/107204" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Trigg
11-08-2011, 02:16 PM
It drives me crazy when people bitch about minimum wage jobs, "it's not a living wage". It's not supposed to be.

It's an entry level wage for jobs that require NO college education. You get the job and move up, or you take the job and take college classes and move into another job that pays better.

The lady who bitched about how a certain job was not going to pay for her college bills, well it'll go a lot further than sitting on your ass in a park waiting for handouts.

Maybe instead of people HAVING to have the latest iphone and all the apps, they stay home and pay their bills and get out of debt. That's the best way to give the finger to the banks. DON'T OWE THEM ANYTHING, or at least owe them as little as possible.

ConHog
11-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Hey FJ, I sincerely hope Sky Dancer doesn't choose to press charges against you for kicking her ass all over this thread. :laugh2:

red states rule
11-09-2011, 03:25 AM
It drives me crazy when people bitch about minimum wage jobs, "it's not a living wage". It's not supposed to be.

It's an entry level wage for jobs that require NO college education. You get the job and move up, or you take the job and take college classes and move into another job that pays better.

The lady who bitched about how a certain job was not going to pay for her college bills, well it'll go a lot further than sitting on your ass in a park waiting for handouts.

Maybe instead of people HAVING to have the latest iphone and all the apps, they stay home and pay their bills and get out of debt. That's the best way to give the finger to the banks. DON'T OWE THEM ANYTHING, or at least owe them as little as possible.

These people do not want to contribute to society - they want to suck it dry

The left has succeeded with these people in convincing them they actually are entitled to other peoples money - and they are not ashamed to publicly demand it