PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Abbey Marie
11-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Our 20 year old daughter just told me that a guy she works with invited her to go to a gun range to learn to shoot. She said she was interested.

I think it's a great idea, since her safety is more important to me than just about anything in this world. Especially being a college student living off-campus. What do you all think? Any down side?

Gunny
11-06-2011, 12:53 PM
Our 20 year old daughter just told me that a guy she works with invited her to go to a gun range to learn to shoot. She said she was interested.

I think it's a great idea, since her safety is more important to me than just about anything in this world. Especially being a college student living off-campus. What do you all think? Any down side?

Hmph, *dons protective Gunny cover*. What kind of firearm does he have?

Abbey Marie
11-06-2011, 12:59 PM
Hmph, *dons protective Gunny cover*. What kind of firearm does he have?

I don't think it was mentioned.

Why the protective cover?

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:15 PM
I fired a gun only once in my life. It never interested me and still doesn't. I know someone who sleeps with a gun under her pillow. I worry for her. She is one of the most terrified people I've ever met.

Abbey Marie
11-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I fired a gun only once in my life. It never interested me and still doesn't. I know someone who sleeps with a gun under her pillow. I worry for her. She is one of the most terrified people I've ever met.

That sounds pretty dangerous to me. Is she in a particularly crime-ridden neighborhood, or does she have an abusive ex?

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:21 PM
That sounds pretty dangerous to me. Is she in a particularly crime-ridden neighborhood, or does she have an abusive ex?

Neither. She's very neurotic. I worry about her.

Abbey Marie
11-06-2011, 01:29 PM

Well, I wouldn't throw her a surprise party. It's not good to live in that much unwarranted fear.

However, I think stable women, trained in firearms safety, being armed, can be a very smart idea. You don't?

ConHog
11-06-2011, 01:32 PM

OH MY GOD. That's really all I can say about a person who YOU think is neurotic.

As to the thread . Abbey, I think it's a good idea for anyone to learn proper weapon handling if they are interested. I do wonder what kind of gun we're talking about and what kind of training the guy who is going to "train" her has though. For instance, Gunny or I would probably be a better choice to train somone on proper handling of a firearm than some other choices. And I am a firm believer that bad training is worse than no training.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:37 PM
OH MY GOD. That's really all I can say about a person who YOU think is neurotic.

As to the thread . Abbey, I think it's a good idea for anyone to learn proper weapon handling if they are interested. I do wonder what kind of gun we're talking about and what kind of training the guy who is going to "train" her has though. For instance, Gunny or I would probably be a better choice to train somone on proper handling of a firearm than some other choices. And I am a firm believer that bad training is worse than no training.

That wasn't kind, Conhog.

Abbey Marie
11-06-2011, 01:41 PM

Con after your mother/daughter fantasy comment, that's a no-go, lol.
But seriously, I don't know that he will train her. I guess I was assuming that the range would do the training, which is how I did it many years ago.

I do wonder if he is just doing this to get her to go out with him, though. Not to brag, but she is very pretty. Either way, I'm glad that you think it's a good idea in general. I have a feeling she will be surprised at how it really feels to fire a gun.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 01:42 PM
That wasn't kind, Conhog.

Once again I'm going to tell you on the board what I told you in private.

LIGHTEN UP. That was a harmless jab, and funny to boot. You just look to be offended at every turn.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Once again I'm going to tell you on the board what I told you in private.

LIGHTEN UP. That was a harmless jab, and funny to boot. You just look to be offended at every turn.

If it wasn't hurtful, I wouldn't have said "ouch".

ConHog
11-06-2011, 01:45 PM
But seriously, I don't know that he will train her. I guess I was assuming that the range would do the training, which is how I did it many years ago.

I do wonder if he is just doing this to get her to go out with him, though. Not to brag, but she is very pretty. Either way, I'm glad that you think it's a good idea in general. I have a feeling she will be surprised at how it really feels to fire a gun.

Sure shoot down my mother/daughter fantasy and then tell me how pretty she is. :laugh:

Oh and there is absolutely nothing wrong with a guy using the old "i'll teach you___________" ruse to get next to a girl. It's an effective tool and frankly you girls like it.

The only thing I would really be concerned about as she begins shooting is that she learns the basic rules.

Chief among them

1. ALWAYS treat every weapon as if it is loaded
2. NEVER point your weapon at anything or anyone you don't intend to shoot.
3. NEVER pull your weapon unless you are willing and able to use it

Beyond that it's all about technique.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 01:48 PM
If it wasn't hurtful, I wouldn't have said "ouch".

Oh for the love of God will you lighten up woman. Not everything is as dire as you make it out to be. Go read the board for instance and see where I've called Gunny a dumb jarhead. He doesn't get mad, he just comes back with some smart ass remark of his own.

You're acting neurotic as you complain about me saying you're neurotic . Do you really not see that?

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Oh for the love of God will you lighten up woman. Not everything is as dire as you make it out to be. Go read the board for instance and see where I've called Gunny a dumb jarhead. He doesn't get mad, he just comes back with some smart ass remark of his own.

You're acting neurotic as you complain about me saying you're neurotic . Do you really not see that?

I'd prefer to post on the topic, and not trade snipes at posters. That's just me. If you think THAT is neurotic, so be it.

My point in sharing about the woman who is sleeping with the gun under her pillow is to show it is NOT making her feel safe.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 02:10 PM
I'd prefer to post on the topic, and not trade snipes at posters. That's just me. If you think THAT is neurotic, so be it.

My point in sharing about the woman who is sleeping with the gun under her pillow is to show it is NOT making her feel safe.

and that is off topic if you want to play that game.

Abbey didn't say her daughter wanted a gun to feel safe. She said she wanted to learn to shoot. Some people just enjoy shooting. I know I do.

DragonStryk72
11-06-2011, 02:17 PM

Eh, probably a little from column A, little from column B.

Abbey Marie
11-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Eh, probably a little from column A, little from column B.

So you are ambivalent? Can you expound on that?

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 04:01 PM
and that is off topic if you want to play that game.

Abbey didn't say her daughter wanted a gun to feel safe. She said she wanted to learn to shoot. Some people just enjoy shooting. I know I do.

I see that anytime I post something on a thread here you think it's either off topic, combative or defensive. I am trying.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 04:37 PM
I see that anytime I post something on a thread here you think it's either off topic, combative or defensive. I am trying.

I didnt' say that Sky. And in fact is was YOu who first brought up off topic in this thread. Not to mention I was teasing anyway. I don't even care about going off topic, ever thread goes off topic and back on several times.

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 04:51 PM
I didnt' say that Sky. And in fact is was YOu who first brought up off topic in this thread. Not to mention I was teasing anyway. I don't even care about going off topic, ever thread goes off topic and back on several times.

Originally Posted by ConHog http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=503320#post503320) that is off topic if you want to play that game.

We don't know each other well enough for you to tease me. That takes time. I don't know the people here very well.

Here's a hint. If you're teasing, add j/k.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by ConHog http://www.debatepolicy.com/images/debate_policy/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?p=503320#post503320) that is off topic if you want to play that game.

We don't know each other well enough for you to tease me. That takes time. I don't know the people here very well.

Here's a hint. If you're teasing, add j/k.

OR, and I'm just spit ballin here.............

You could take a chill pill and not ASSUME everything posted towards you is meant to be offensive.

Jess
11-06-2011, 04:56 PM
Well, I wouldn't throw her a surprise party. It's not good to live in that much unwarranted fear.

However, I think stable women, trained in firearms safety, being armed, can be a very smart idea. You don't?

I used to shoot quite a bit (outshot my brother and husband, LOL!) and am fixin' to do so again. If she enjoys it and a responsible, trained person is there to teach her - be it this young man or the range - go for it. It's a good way for a woman to even the playing field in defending herself from bad guys.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 08:14 PM
I used to shoot quite a bit (outshot my brother and husband, LOL!) and am fixin' to do so again. If she enjoys it and a responsible, trained person is there to teach her - be it this young man or the range - go for it. It's a good way for a woman to even the playing field in defending herself from bad guys.

And it's good safe stress release. Tough day go unload a few rounds at a picture of syrenn. I mean a silhouette target . :laugh2:

Wind Song
11-06-2011, 08:54 PM
OR, and I'm just spit ballin here.............

You could take a chill pill and not ASSUME everything posted towards you is meant to be offensive.

have fun talking to gunny.

ConHog
11-06-2011, 08:58 PM
have fun talking to gunny.

Yes, you've made it quite clear that you have no interest in taking any advice that might make you a more enjoyable poster.

fj1200
11-07-2011, 06:47 AM
Yes, you've made it quite clear that you have no interest in taking any advice that might make you a more enjoyable poster.

Not having to constantly reply to you and Gunny would likely make her a more enjoyable poster.

ConHog
11-07-2011, 09:40 AM
Not having to constantly reply to you and Gunny would likely make her a more enjoyable poster.

I actually stuck up for Sky A LOT until she proved I made a mistake.

Wind Song
11-07-2011, 11:15 AM
I actually stuck up for Sky A LOT until she proved I made a mistake.

I don't need you to stick up for me. You're as fickle as I've ever seen.

Wind Song
11-07-2011, 11:16 AM

Let me give that a shot. Ignoring both of them. I bet that would make my experience here much more enjoyable. Thanks for the tip.

Love Monkey
11-12-2011, 07:23 AM
Most 20 year old girls already knows how to make a guy shoot.

red states rule
11-12-2011, 07:40 AM

I am sure you raised your daughter correctly Abbey, and yes - she should laarn to take of herself. If you are cool with it - then trust your instincts

jimnyc
11-12-2011, 08:02 AM

If she's interested, let her try it out. If still interested, maybe you and the hubby can either take her for further lessons or buy some for her from a professional? If she's trained properly, I think it's an awesome idea! And then you can get her a cool little pistol for Christmas too!

red states rule
11-12-2011, 08:04 AM
If she's interested, let her try it out. If still interested, maybe you and the hubby can either take her for further lessons or buy some for her from a professional? If she's trained properly, I think it's an awesome idea! And then you can get her a cool little pistol for Christmas too!

Nothing better for Christmas than to give the gift of packing heat :laugh2: