PDA

View Full Version : Another Muslim headscarf issue

jimnyc
11-09-2011, 09:10 AM
When will these people understand that their religion isn't priority over everything else. Can you imagine if the nitwits who think we should give in to so many Muslim demands got their way? Our military in the near future could be filled with headscarves, burqas and other religious garb.

This is our Military, the best in the world, and have had strict uniforms since forever. To even THINK any type of accommodation should be made would be outright stupid. But what about once she is out of school, and lets assume she joins the military. It's a "job" where she would be getting paid. Some here already think that Muslims should be able to pray when they please and wear their religious crap. I say NO FUCKING WAY! Can you imagine these shitheads wanting to take a time-out during war to pray 5 times per day, or wearing a fully covering burqa while performing military duties?

You can wear a Muslim head scarf, and you can wear the uniform of the Junior ROTC. Just not at the same time.

That’s the word from the U.S. Army, which is supporting an officer’s ruling last month that a 14-year-old Tennessee girl could not wear her traditional head covering while in uniform at a parade.

The student, Demin Zawity, of Brentwood, Tenn., quit the Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps program at Ravenwood High School and returned to regular gym classes when commanding officers said she had to take off her hijab if she wanted to march in the homecoming parade.

"It was during Spirit Week. We were getting ready for the homecoming parade and the head officer said that I wouldn't be able to wear the head scarf while I had the uniform on," Demin said.

"I said that it was a religious thing and that I really couldn't take it off.”

Demin said she asked the officer if an exception could be made, and “ he told me that he would see what he can do."

But school officials and district lawyers determined that if Demin wanted to participate; she would have to comply with the rules.

"We as a school system are bound to the regulations of the Army. We cannot conduct the program unless we follow the regulations," said Jason Golden, Chief Operating Officer and General Counsel for the school district.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/20/muslim-jr-rotc-student-wants-to-wear-head-cover-with-uniform/

Gunny
11-09-2011, 09:17 AM
When will these people understand that their religion isn't priority over everything else. Can you imagine if the nitwits who think we should give in to so many Muslim demands got their way? Our military in the near future could be filled with headscarves, burqas and other religious garb.

This is our Military, the best in the world, and have had strict uniforms since forever. To even THINK any type of accommodation should be made would be outright stupid. But what about once she is out of school, and lets assume she joins the military. It's a "job" where she would be getting paid. Some here already think that Muslims should be able to pray when they please and wear their religious crap. I say NO FUCKING WAY! Can you imagine these shitheads wanting to take a time-out during war to pray 5 times per day, or wearing a fully covering burqa while performing military duties?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/20/muslim-jr-rotc-student-wants-to-wear-head-cover-with-uniform/

You can't call Christmas "Christmas", but by God I want to wear my freaking bath towel on my face.

What is a true, Sharia-law-abiding Muslim woman doing in the military anyway? Seems she's rather pick-n-choose on which religious rules she has to follow.

cadet
11-09-2011, 09:18 AM
That's the first thing they taught us in ROTC class. no religious stuff unless it's not visible (like a necklace)
The point of that class is to make everyone dress alike, and become one unit (kinda dumb to me, but what the hell)

Gunny
11-09-2011, 09:23 AM
That's the first thing they taught us in ROTC class. no religious stuff unless it's not visible (like a necklace)
The point of that class is to make everyone dress alike, and become one unit (kinda dumb to me, but what the hell)

The idea behind it is there is no individual in "team". You wear the same uniforms to the same standards, have the same haircuts. The distinguishing feature is your rank. THAT is who you are. A person with a rank and a skill that fills a billet on the team.

fj1200
11-09-2011, 02:10 PM
"It was during Spirit Week. We were getting ready for the homecoming parade and the head officer said that I wouldn't be able to wear the head scarf while I had the uniform on," Demin said.

Thankfully the head officer got the answer right the first time.

jimnyc
11-09-2011, 04:19 PM
You can't call Christmas "Christmas", but by God I want to wear my freaking bath towel on my face.

What is a true, Sharia-law-abiding Muslim woman doing in the military anyway? Seems she's rather pick-n-choose on which religious rules she has to follow.

And too bad for her. If you want to join - you go ALL IN, like everyone else, with no accommodations. If she doesn't like it, then its a good thing she found out so early on that the US Military is not for her, and won't bend to or allow input from muslim laws.

But it's only a matter of time before we here "if they want to fight, let them" - "Why should they be treated differently if they're willing to fight for their country" and a bunch of other crap, regardless of military regulations and a few hundred years of tradition.

ConHog
11-09-2011, 04:53 PM
And too bad for her. If you want to join - you go ALL IN, like everyone else, with no accommodations. If she doesn't like it, then its a good thing she found out so early on that the US Military is not for her, and won't bend to or allow input from muslim laws.

But it's only a matter of time before we here "if they want to fight, let them" - "Why should they be treated differently if they're willing to fight for their country" and a bunch of other crap, regardless of military regulations and a few hundred years of tradition.

The military has already bent some on their dress code standards. When I was in boot no watches, or sunglasses were allowed, for example. My understanding is that that has now changed.

Of course I hear pink camo is now optional as well. :laugh2: