PDA

View Full Version : I reckon 8th graders could be doing better things

Noir
11-09-2011, 08:12 PM
in a public school than this, but maybe thats just me.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_ludqjaAi2m1qee77ko1_500.jpg

CSM
11-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Heh.... I suppose they could have joined NAMBLA instead. That would be a LOT better than accepting some fake moral code.

fj1200
11-10-2011, 08:44 AM

Who said it was a public school?

cadet
11-10-2011, 09:15 AM
I'm gonna find this person so I can get on Facebook and "like" this.
I don't know about you, but this is awesome! Schools don't need to outcast religion! They should accept it! They need to accept that Christians need to learn too!
(and some people shouldn't butt into kids finding God)

Noir
11-10-2011, 09:48 AM
Who said it was a public school?

Because the last poster, tiffany, who was a trainee at the same time as Krista knows where she works,

fj1200
11-10-2011, 09:50 AM
Then it's good to see a resurgence of Christianity across the pond.

Noir
11-10-2011, 09:53 AM
I'm gonna find this person so I can get on Facebook and "like" this.
I don't know about you, but this is awesome! Schools don't need to outcast religion! They should accept it! They need to accept that Christians need to learn too!
(and some people shouldn't butt into kids finding God)

Your private faith should be a private matter, not a public one.

As an aside, if the status read "Praise be, 5 eighth graders renounced their faith in Jesus at school today!" would you be rushing to 'like' it?

Noir
11-10-2011, 09:54 AM
Then it's good to see a resurgence of Christianity across the pond.

It was an American school.

fj1200
11-10-2011, 09:58 AM
It was an American school.

This would then be a lesson in providing adequate information in an OP. :rolleyes:

Noir
11-10-2011, 10:02 AM
This would then be a lesson in providing adequate information in an OP. :rolleyes:

My bad, simply took for granted the fact that we (UK) don't use terms like 8th grade. (over here that would be a 'year 7') which I thought made it obvious it was an American school, though obviously not for Americans lol.

fj1200
11-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeah, that was the only thing missing. :rolleyes:

In your vernacular: Useless post was useless.

Noir
11-10-2011, 10:08 AM
Yeah, that was the only thing missing. :rolleyes:

In your vernacular: Useless post was useless.

Why? What else need be added?

fj1200
11-10-2011, 10:10 AM
A pesky thing called detail; try again.

Noir
11-10-2011, 10:16 AM
A pesky thing called detail; try again.

Well i don't see what other detail is needed?

Proselytizing in an American Public school. The only detail missing seemingly was the 'american' bit which i took as a given. You are saying i should of included more details. What 'more details' would you like so i may supply them?

jimnyc
11-10-2011, 10:44 AM
I'd really like to see the entire story behind this, rather than a small blurb on FB and a couple of follow up comments. Not a single "fact" involved here. If this were true, and took place in a public school, and the teacher were somehow involved - people would be bitching and calling for her job and her head. Any news articles or anything? I would find it odd if it happened and an entire school and/or community stood behind it.

Abbey Marie
11-10-2011, 10:46 AM
Little Tiffy should concentrate on learning to spell.

CSM
11-10-2011, 10:48 AM
I'm willing to bet that if the facebook posting had said 5 school kids had turned vegan, Noir would be trumpeting their praises. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

fj1200
11-10-2011, 10:51 AM
Well i don't see what other detail is needed?

Proselytizing in an American Public school. The only detail missing seemingly was the 'american' bit which i took as a given. You are saying i should of included more details. What 'more details' would you like so i may supply them?

You wouldn't but context, facts... you know anything useful besides mere assumption of which you have much.

Noir
11-10-2011, 10:52 AM
I'm willing to bet that if the facebook posting had said 5 school kids had turned vegan, Noir would be trumpeting their praises. I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

I sure as hell wouldn't. its *all* a matter of personal choice, its not for a teacher to *teach* the children into being Christian or athiest or vegan or anything else for that matter.

CSM
11-10-2011, 10:58 AM
I sure as hell wouldn't. its *all* a matter of personal choice, its not for a teacher to *teach* the children into being Christian or athiest or vegan or anything else for that matter.

Yeah, teachers shouldn't teach anything.

Noir
11-10-2011, 11:00 AM
I'd really like to see the entire story behind this, rather than a small blurb on FB and a couple of follow up comments. Not a single "fact" involved here. If this were true, and took place in a public school, and the teacher were somehow involved - people would be bitching and calling for her job and her head. Any news articles or anything? I would find it odd if it happened and an entire school and/or community stood behind it.

Tiffany asked her for the details about what happened, the reply was that it "It’s a peer led group" and that "God did the work."

Shortly afterwards the status (and thus all related comments) were deleted and tiffany was removed as a freind.

I'll be waiting to see if she does report her to an authority or anything more comes of it.

jimnyc
11-10-2011, 11:01 AM

Or teaching them that it's ok to be a flaming homosexual? Believe it or not, that's becoming fairly standard in public schools, and some kids are now even reading books about kids with queer parents. I'd rather a few religious things be passed on than teaching my kid that being a queer is acceptable.

Noir
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Yeah, teachers shouldn't teach anything.

They should teach Maths, Biology, Englsih etc, they should not be teaching you which god is the right god (if any) or that all drug companies are evil, or which political party is best etc etc. Especially to kids barely (if even) in their teens.

CSM
11-10-2011, 11:02 AM
Well, I still dont see anything that indicates the teacher was involved in actually converting these kids and the only thing I see indicating it was a public school is Noir's assertion that this is so. Far too many assumptions being made about this to really assess and determine any facts.

Noir
11-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Or teaching them that it's ok to be a flaming homosexual? Believe it or not, that's becoming fairly standard in public schools, and some kids are now even reading books about kids with queer parents. I'd rather a few religious things be passed on than teaching my kid that being a queer is acceptable.

If you do not want kids reading books were some of the characters are homosexuals then (to be equal) i assume you also do not want kids reading books were some of the characters are Christian/Muslis/Jewish etc. Or are you applying a double standard?

CSM
11-10-2011, 11:08 AM
They should teach Maths, Biology, Englsih etc, they should not be teaching you which god is the right god (if any) or that all drug companies are evil, or which political party is best etc etc. Especially to kids barely (if even) in their teens.

Great. Then we are on the same sheet of music (so to speak). By extension then, school cafeterias should not limit their menus to what some beauracrat has determined to be "healthy meals". Teachers should not interfere with perceived "bullying", nor commenting on the morality/immorality of premarital sex/homosexuality/beastiality. Heck, they should not even get involved in any sort of "school spirit" events since we don't want teachers advocating ANYTHING outside of teaching the basics. In summation, we agree that teachers have no business in teaching anything other than Math, science, languages, and reading.

CSM
11-10-2011, 11:11 AM
If you do not want kids reading books were some of the characters are homosexuals then (to be equal) i assume you also do not want kids reading books were some of the characters are Christian/Muslis/Jewish etc. Or are you applying a double standard?

The double standard is set when teachers offer such a book without alternative.

jimnyc
11-10-2011, 11:18 AM

No, beanhead! I was showing the double standard in the other direction! People got pissed at me when I said queers were wrong and that ANYTHING about sexuality should be a parents choice to teach their children, not a teacher - but here we are and the homo shit is still in schools and the books still exist. They teach kids that there are queers in this world and that there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But bring up Christ in just one classroom and heads will explode.

fj1200
11-10-2011, 12:03 PM
Tiffany asked her for the details about what happened, the reply was that it "It’s a peer led group" and that "God did the work."

So the entirety of the relevant information provided in the OP has already been refuted by Tiffany?

logroller
11-10-2011, 12:46 PM
So the entirety of the relevant information provided in the OP has already been refuted by Tiffany?

It's a fucking Facebook conversation-- I put as much stock in that as when my dog growls at night. Perhaps its an intruder, or the wind blew...I think FJ hit the nail on the head with useless post is useless. Sorry Noir, much ado about nothing.

DragonStryk72
11-10-2011, 02:31 PM

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/tumblr_ludqjaAi2m1qee77ko1_500.jpg

Yeah, at public school, that's just flat wrong If it had been at a catholic school, I wouldn't call foul

Love Monkey
11-10-2011, 03:30 PM
I really enjoyed the 8th grade when I was going to school. Teacher was HOT. They promoted me after 3 years. Just as well. She would never go out with me on a date.

Shadow
11-10-2011, 06:30 PM

Shortly afterwards the status (and thus all related comments) were deleted and tiffany was removed as a freind.

I'll be waiting to see if she does report her to an authority or anything more comes of it.

And so?? A peer led group... usually means the kids talk to each other about christianity (doesn't mean they do this in class with faculty involved). We had peer led bible study on the football fields at school when I was younger too. It was a voluntary student led thing and I really don't see what the problem is. Maybe Tiffany was de friended for being annoying. Maybe she poo poo's everything they talk about and they got sick of her negative ass.

Edited to add: Maybe YOU could find better things to do then scope out pre teens facebook pages to get offended over too.

Noir
11-10-2011, 06:50 PM
And so?? A peer led group... usually means the kids talk to each other about christianity (doesn't mean they do this in class with faculty involved). We had peer led bible study on the football fields at school when I was younger too. It was a voluntary student led thing and I really don't see what the problem is. Maybe Tiffany was de friended for being annoying. Maybe she poo poo's everything they talk about and they got sick of her negative ass.

Edited to add: Maybe YOU could find better things to do then scope out pre teens facebook pages to get offended over too.

Right so a bunch of 13 year olds get together to talk theology under their own initiative and cognition, and 5 of them become christians? Who knows maybe they'll have another talk among themselves tomorrow and 3 of them will spontaneously become Anarchists, 4 will become Buddhists, 1 will become a Stalinst and 2 will declare themselves outside of regular social and political paradigms and at one with the earth.

Also you'll be glad to know that i'm not stalking, or even looking, at any pre-teens facebook pages, kthanks.

Nukeman
11-10-2011, 07:05 PM
Right so a bunch of 13 year olds get together to talk theology under their own initiative and cognition, and 5 of them become christians? Who knows maybe they'll have another talk among themselves tomorrow and 3 of them will spontaneously become Anarchists, 4 will become Buddhists, 1 will become a Stalinst and 2 will declare themselves outside of regular social and political paradigms and at one with the earth.

Also you'll be glad to know that i'm not stalking, or even looking, at any pre-teens facebook pages, kthanks.

You forget one little item Noir. THE PARENTS!! how do you know that the parents were not involved in any way. Most "peer led" groups in the public schools have a adviser that could be either a parent or a teacher ON THEIR OWN TIME. I know my daughter attended a bible study before class at her high school. Just because it happens on "school ground" does NOT mean it happens during school hours. Unfortunately for the athiest out there, these are ALLOWED on PUBLIC property as long as they are not FORCED or MANDATORY unlike other aspects of the teaching process that some parents find objectionable.

Why do you find this offensive Noir?? It is after all THEIR choice to make on their OWN time not school time!!!!! How old were you when you decided you were an atheist or vegetarian?? Here an Eight grader is usually 14.... So what is an acceptable age for one to make a decision for themselves??? Please do tell!?!?!?!?!?

It is NOT out of the realm of possibility for a group of 13-14 year old to be discussing the Christian Bible some of them could very well have been hearing, studying, discussing it for years in their church or place of worship, that is what is meant by "PEER LED"

revelarts
11-10-2011, 07:13 PM

.....(6) Always seek to be learning something new.

(7) Test all things; always check your ideas against the facts, and be ready to discard even a cherished belief if it does not conform to them.

(8) Never seek to censor or cut yourself off from dissent; always respect the right of others to disagree with you.

(9) Form independent opinions on the basis of your own reason and experience; do not allow yourself to be led blindly by others.

(10) Question everything.

How does this apply to the info provided for this thread?
how does this apply to the facts -if true- especially if it's a "peer led group" which i understand to mean OTHER 8th graders.

I don't see a problem here.

the 1st part of the 10 list says something like do no harm
frankly you don't find many hard core Christians shooting up schools or smoking dope or causing trouble in general, so whats the harm?
remember "peer led group".

As far a Sexual pref books go compared to Books about Christians etc. Until I became Christian the only people i was taught were Christian were those whichit was so obviously a part of the mark they made in history that it was nearly impossible to write it out of the thier story, -(which has been done for the most part). William Penn the good Quaker, John Brown the Abolitionist, Martian Luther King, for example. Many other folks who where DRIVEN or led by there faith or bathed in faith or a milieu marked clearly by it as well. But often it was barley or never mentioned. Not an honest view of history really in any school setting. But I'm not sure why anyone would need to make a special note of sexual deviation unless it was overtly criminal or part of a political movement as it sadly is today.

Noir
11-10-2011, 07:16 PM
You forget one little item Noir. THE PARENTS!! how do you know that the parents were not involved in any way. Most "peer led" groups in the public schools have a adviser that could be either a parent or a teacher ON THEIR OWN TIME. I know my daughter attended a bible study before class at her high school. Just because it happens on "school ground" does NOT mean it happens during school hours. Unfortunately for the athiest out there, these are ALLOWED on PUBLIC property as long as they are not FORCED or MANDATORY unlike other aspects of the teaching process that some parents find objectionable.

Why do you find this offensive Noir?? It is after all THEIR choice to make on their OWN time not school time!!!!! How old were you when you decided you were an atheist or vegetarian?? Here an Eight grader is usually 14.... So what is an acceptable age for one to make a decision for themselves??? Please do tell!?!?!?!?!?

It is NOT out of the realm of possibility for a group of 13-14 year old to be discussing the Christian Bible some of them could very well have been hearing, studying, discussing it for years in their church or place of worship, that is what is meant by "PEER LED"

Very true, it may of been an after-school event 'in school', hadn't thought of that.

Nukeman
11-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Very true, it may of been an after-school event 'in school', hadn't thought of that.There are a number of "clubs" that are at the schools. They always use the term "at school" due to the fact they are held at school just not during sanctioned class time....

These "clubs" are either in the morning before class begins or immediately after school. If a public school allows ANY club to meet they have to allow all clubs to meet as long they are not illegal i.e. a cannabis club. Chess, Bowling, Running, Swimming,wrestling, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Bible Study, Model Airplane, Model Rocket, FAA and a whole slew of other clubs are all OFFERED at my kids high school and Junior High.

So as you can see something happening "at school" is the location not the activity!!!!:beer:

fj1200
11-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Right so a bunch of 13 year olds get together to talk theology...

Point being, you have no idea other than an assumption and giant leap.

Gunny
11-10-2011, 08:04 PM

I reckon it's none of your business. If you don't want to, don't. Better pray to whatever disbelief you pray to because if you ain't right and I am, eternity's going to suck for you.

Gunny
11-10-2011, 08:08 PM

As an aside, if the status read "Praise be, 5 eighth graders renounced their faith in Jesus at school today!" would you be rushing to 'like' it?

Your private faith should not infringe on the right to freedom of expression of others. Unless someone's trying to force you to join, shut up and go about your business. Problem with you atheist types is YOU don't mind your own business. If you did, none of this would be an issue. Instead, some bonehead on a message board has to post someone else's business and attempt to project his own lack of faith as some "true belief". Oh wait ... isn't that what you accuse others of doing?

Mind your own business. What these kids did and/or believe has NOTHING to do with you.

cadet
11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
it?

No, just cause I'm christian doesn't mean I don't have freedom of speech! :laugh:

Noir
11-11-2011, 09:44 AM
I reckon it's none of your business. If you don't want to, don't. Better pray to whatever disbelief you pray to because if you ain't right and I am, eternity's going to suck for you.

Naw I believe in David Mitchell's idea that there is an afterlife but only atheists get to go to it =P

Anyways this threads been rendered all but null & void after nukemans post. But should anything more come of this ill post it here.