PDA

View Full Version : Anti-War T-Shirts Forbidden In Arizona

Psychoblues
05-15-2007, 11:07 PM
First Amendment now.

PHOENIX -- State lawmakers voted Monday to enact new laws designed to stop the sale of anti-war T-shirts with the names of dead soldiers -- a measure a veteran media lawyer says is "unconstitutional about three or four different ways."

On a 28-0 margin, the Senate agreed to make it punishable by up to a year in jail to use the names of deceased soldiers to help sell goods. The measure, SB 1014, also would let families go to court to stop the sales and collect damages.

Dan Frazier, a Flagstaff businessman who is selling the T-shirts that have caused all the fuss, told Capitol Media Services he doesn't intend to halt the sale of the $20 shirts even if Gov. Janet Napolitano signs the measure. He said it's an illegal infringement on his First Amendment rights.

Rep. Jonathan Paton, R-Tucson, a backer of the measure, doesn't see it that way. He said because Frazier is selling his shirts for a profit means it is not constitutionally protected political speech.

Read more: http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/05/15/news/2007...

Your bank accounts next.

nevadamedic
05-15-2007, 11:13 PM
First Amendment now.

PHOENIX -- State lawmakers voted Monday to enact new laws designed to stop the sale of anti-war T-shirts with the names of dead soldiers -- a measure a veteran media lawyer says is "unconstitutional about three or four different ways."

On a 28-0 margin, the Senate agreed to make it punishable by up to a year in jail to use the names of deceased soldiers to help sell goods. The measure, SB 1014, also would let families go to court to stop the sales and collect damages.

Dan Frazier, a Flagstaff businessman who is selling the T-shirts that have caused all the fuss, told Capitol Media Services he doesn't intend to halt the sale of the $20 shirts even if Gov. Janet Napolitano signs the measure. He said it's an illegal infringement on his First Amendment rights.

Rep. Jonathan Paton, R-Tucson, a backer of the measure, doesn't see it that way. He said because Frazier is selling his shirts for a profit means it is not constitutionally protected political speech.

Read more: http://www.azdailysun.com/articles/2007/05/15/news/2007...

Your bank accounts next.

That man should be stopped, he is making a mockery of the people who have died in this war. If I were a family member of someone on that shirt I would immediatly file a lawsuit against that prick.

Hobbit
05-15-2007, 11:15 PM
Last I heard, you couldn't capitalize on someone's name without permission. No new ground here.

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 12:55 AM
You heard wrong, hibbitt.

Last I heard, you couldn't capitalize on someone's name without permission. No new ground here.

Nice but very weak try, though.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 01:09 AM

That is very true. The more I think about this issue, the more of an outrage it really is. These heroes died protecting our way of life and someone wants to use them to make money and a political statement, that is so wrong on so many levels. I wonder if this guy has a website up? If so we should flood him with emails.

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 01:43 AM
Nope, he isn't the techno type. He just tried to sell a few t-shirts on the market where he thought they would sell. Simple capitalism.

That is very true. The more I think about this issue, the more of an outrage it really is. These heroes died protecting our way of life and someone wants to use them to make money and a political statement, that is so wrong on so many levels. I wonder if this guy has a website up? If so we should flood him with emails.

What do you want to bet that an un-named corporate entity will fill the void as soon as the legal wranglings are satisfactorily out of the way? If there is a buck in it, someone will fill the need and make the bucks!!!!!! That's the America I am SO proud of!!!!!!!

stephanie
05-16-2007, 01:52 AM
Whatever......The parents have a right, to stop this jerk from capitalizing on their families name........Without written consent.....
Damn....there's that's right we all have....

Just think.....If it had George Clooney, or Baba Streisand, or Rosie O'Donnell.......Ya think they would of been silent...????????:laugh2:

Isn't it great to live in America.......:cheers2:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 03:20 AM
So I guess you also want to sue ABC for the "In Memorium" feature they do every Sunday that lists every US Soldier that died in the previous week in Iraq or Afghanistan? Two very different wars but the names couldn't care less.

Whatever......The parents have a right, to stop this jerk from capitalizing on their families name........Without written consent.....
Damn....there's that's right we all have....

Just think.....If it had George Clooney, or Baba Streisand, or Rosie O'Donnell.......Ya think they would of been silent...????????:laugh2:

Isn't it great to live in America.......:cheers2:

They are dead. D,E,A,D. DEAD. Do you have any inclination to understand what that means to our soldiers or to their families?

It is truly GREAT to live in America, despite those of you that want to exploit it for your own uses, use for your own comforts and lavish in the rewards that you did not earn.

stephanie
05-16-2007, 03:30 AM
So I guess you also want to sue ABC for the "In Memoriam" feature they do every Sunday that lists every US Soldier that died in the previous week in Iraq or Afghanistan? Two very different wars but the names couldn't care less.

They are dead. D,E,A,D. DEAD. Do you have any inclination to understand what that means to our soldiers or to their families?

It is truly GREAT to live in America, despite those of you that want to exploit it for your own uses, use for your own comforts and lavish in the rewards that you did not earn.

If you don't mind it, Then I guess it should be you all who greet thees family and tell them.......Your all children died........for nothing.......

Then I guess......it's OK..

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 03:52 AM
God Damn you Staphy!!!!!!!!!!! Me or no other Democrat has ever said that our Soldiers have died for "NOTHING"!!!!!!!

If you don't mind it, Then I guess it should be you all who greet thees family and tell them.......Your all children died........for nothing.......

Then I guess......it's OK..

That is one of your goddamned lies like Santa Claus and no one profits from fuckin' WAR!!!!!!!!!

Don't start that shit with me, staphy. You or anyone else will have a heavy price to pay for those type of lies!!!!!!!!!!

stephanie
05-16-2007, 04:00 AM
God Damn you Staphy!!!!!!!!!!! Me or no other Democrat has ever said that our Soldiers have died for "NOTHING"!!!!!!!

That is one of your goddamned lies like Santa Claus and no one profits from fuckin' WAR!!!!!!!!!

Don't start that shit with me, staphy. You or anyone else will have a heavy price to pay for those type of lies!!!!!!!!!!

dont fucking spew your shit at me.......You and all the so called anti=war people are using these sholdiers for your own......personal gains....

Nobody else is......You brought it up.....:fu:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 04:47 AM
And you repeated the goddamned lie that the rightwingers fed to you.

dont fucking spew your shit at me.......You and all the so called anti=war people are using these sholdiers for your own......personal gains....

Nobody else is......You brought it up.....:fu:

And don't fuckin' deny it. You are as full of shit as your puppeteers. You like that personal manipulation, go for it. My choice is to avoid it. I've been puppeteered too many times and now I resent it. You may not be stupid but you are at least ignorant.

stephanie
05-16-2007, 05:02 AM
And you repeated the goddamn lie that the right wingers fed to you.

And don't fuckin' deny it. You are as full of shit as your puppeteers. You like that personal manipulation, go for it. My choice is to avoid it. I've been puppeteered too many times and now I resent it. You may not be stupid but you are at least ignorant.

You all keep telling yourselves that...

salute:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Who do you call "you all"?

You all keep telling yourselves that...

salute:

I am Psychoblues. There is no other. I am not a benchmark, a pidgeonhole or a representative of anybody other than myself at this stage of my life. I do not have a mouse in my pocket. Who in heck is "you all"?

stephanie
05-16-2007, 05:20 AM
Who do you call "you all"?

I am Psycho blues. There is no other. I am not a benchmark, a pigeonhole or a representative of anybody other than myself at this stage of my life. I do not have a mouse in my pocket. Who in heck is "you all"?

You all know who I'm talking about......So....You all...deal with...

And...I don't know what is in your pocket...And....I'm not sure I want to know....:laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 05:29 AM
Avoiding the subject and not taking responsibility for your statements are what you are all about, staphy. Don't feel so all alone. Everybody must get stoned.

You all know who I'm talking about......So....You all...deal with...

And...I don't know what is in your pocket...And....I'm not sure I want to know....:laugh2:

I got the keys in my pocket, staphy. I got the keys to all the greatest jamm and all the greatest musical, political and economic endeavors known to mankind.

theHawk
05-16-2007, 08:08 AM
Nope, he isn't the techno type. He just tried to sell a few t-shirts on the market where he thought they would sell. Simple capitalism.

Ah so now suddenly you're all for unrestricted capitalism. Now its A-OK to make a buck even if its completely amoral.

This has nothing to do with the First Amendment, he can make any T-Shirt he wants with names of dead soldiers and wear them. He just can't sell them for profit.

Why am I not surprised that you would wholeheartedly defend this shitbag trying to make money off the names of dead soldiers.