PDA

View Full Version : Study tying Conservative views to Personality Disorders

Thunderknuckles
11-11-2011, 05:47 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/11/conservative-views-tied-to-personality-disorders-study-claims/

" (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/11/conservative-views-tied-to-personality-disorders-study-claims/)
The paper, by University of Tampa professor Marcus Arvan, claims to find "significant" correlations between key antisocial personality traits and bedrock conservative views, like opposition to gay marriage and support for capital punishment. Specifically, the research claims to find elements of narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism, also described as "deception," among test subjects......and generally did not find signs of those traits among those with liberal views. "

LOL, that is rich. Liberals are mentally healthy but Conservatives are crazy.
This guy isn't even embarrassed about his agenda. I'll have to do some research on this Professor.

revelarts
11-11-2011, 06:11 PM
Crazy talk,

Most Will Be Mentally Ill at Some Point, Study SaysBy BENEDICT CAREY
Published: June 7, 2005
More than half of Americans will develop a mental illness at some point in their lives, often beginning in childhood or adolescence, researchers have found in a survey that experts say will have wide-ranging implications for the practice of psychiatry. (CHA_CHING)

The survey is the most comprehensive in a series of censuslike mental health studies undertaken by the government. The findings of those studies are frequently cited by researchers, advocacy groups, policy makers and drug manufacturers to emphasize the importance of diagnosing and treating mental illness.
The earlier, less comprehensive surveys, which were published in 1984 and 1994 and which also found a high prevalence of mental illness, came under attack on the ground that they defined mental illness too broadly. Now, experts say, the new findings are sure to renew debate about whether mental illness can be reliably distinguished from garden-variety emotional struggles that are part of any life.
Dr. Thomas Insel, director of the National Institute of Mental Health, the primary sponsor of the study, said in a conference call with reporters, "The key point to remember is that mental disorders are highly prevalent and chronic."
The study, Dr. Insel added, "demonstrates clearly that these really are the chronic disorders of young people in this country."
On the other side are psychiatrists who say they believe that the estimates are inflated. "Fifty percent of Americans mentally impaired - are you kidding me?" said Dr. Paul McHugh, a professor of psychiatry at Johns Hopkins University....

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/07/health/07mental.html

Nearly 40 percent of Europeans suffer mental illness
By Kate Kelland (http://blogs.reuters.com/search/journalist.php?edition=us&n=kate.kelland&)
LONDON | Sun Sep 4, 2011 7:17pm EDT

(Reuters) - Europeans are plagued by mental and neurological illnesses, with almost 165 million people or 38 percent of the population suffering each year from a brain disorder such as depression, anxiety, insomnia or dementia, according to a large new study.

With only about a third of cases receiving the therapy or medication needed,(CHA CHING) mental illnesses cause a huge economic and social burden -- measured in the hundreds of billions of euros -- as sufferers become too unwell to work and personal relationships break down.

"Mental disorders have become Europe's largest health challenge of the 21st century," the study's authors said.
At the same time, some big drug companies are backing away from investment in research on how the brain works and affects behavior, putting the onus on governments and health charities to stump up funding for neuroscience.
"The immense treatment gap ... for mental disorders has to be closed," said Hans Ulrich Wittchen, director of the institute of clinical psychology and psychotherapy at Germany's Dresden University and the lead investigator on the European study.
"Those few receiving treatment do so with considerable delays of an average of several years and rarely with the appropriate, state-of-the-art therapies."
Wittchen led a three-year study covering 30 European countries -- the 27 European Union member states plus Switzerland, Iceland and Norway -- and a population of 514 million people.

A direct comparison of the prevalence of mental illnesses in other parts of the world was not available because different studies adopt varying parameters.

Wittchen's team looked at about 100 illnesses covering all major brain disorders from anxiety and depression to addiction to schizophrenia, as well as major neurological disorders including epilepsy, Parkinson's and multiple sclerosis....

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/09/04/us-europe-mental-illness-idUSTRE7832JJ20110904

Everyone's crazy except the doctors of course, conservationism will be included as disorder soon enough. Disagreeing with the gov't , mm hmph, anti-authoritarian, tsk tsk, must be crazy, time for your meds.

Noir
11-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Everyone will be both mentally and physically ill in their life.

red states rule
11-12-2011, 10:59 AM
Liberals are the most unhinged group of people I have ever seen

Take for example their distorted views of history and ability to make up facts on the fly

According to Stephen King, conservative "hate" of Barack Obama is similar to the anger that led to the assassination of John Kennedy. Appearing on Friday's Hardball to promote "11/22/63 (http://www.amazon.com/11-22-63-Stephen-King/dp/1451627289/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321054259&sr=8-1)," his new novel, the author compared, "Here is where hate will get you eventually. This is what happens. Finally, it's the barrel of a gun."

Discussing his book, a work of historical fiction about stopping JFK's murder, King asserted, "And also, there's also been this sort of atmosphere of real hate and obstructionism that surrounded both men." He continued, "So, I began to think history repeats itself and at that point I thought to myself, 'You know I really would like to write this book.'" It took liberal anchor Chris Matthews to point out the obvious: Lee Harvey Oswald was no conservative.

Matthews explained, "Yeah, but it was a communist sympathizer. It was Lee Harvey Oswald, a man of the most extraordinary left by our standards who killed him. So, how do you put that together with the right-wing mood of Dallas?"

King dodged, "...But the fact is Oswald's communist tendencies were basically the outgrowth of a disturbed mind."

Read more: http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/scott-whitlock/2011/11/11/stephen-king-right-wing-hate-obama-anger-led-jfks-murder#ixzz1dTJxMG3b

Noir
11-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Liberals are the most unhinged group of people I have ever seen

Take for example their distorted views of history and ability to make up facts on the fly

Generalizations either way will obviously be tosh. You'll find the same on both sides, not because it's anything to do with how you politically lean, as the actual prob is that they are human, and humans are prime to mental health problems.

red states rule
11-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Generalizations either way will obviously be tosh. You'll find the same on both sides, not because it's anything to do with how you politically lean, as the actual prob is that they are human, and humans are prime to mental health problems.

Nir I have had been dealing with libs for over 30 years and they have not chnaged very much in that time

Libs are very emotional, The run on anger and desperatioin. Everything is a crisis. Everything must be delt with now

If you oppose a liberal program you are lashed out at with anger. You are called meanspiitited, greedy, and uncaring. You are harassed and even threatened as the anger from the liberal gorows

Libs also deal alot in guilt. They have a hard time admitting how great America is, and how rich the nation is. Libs resent this and constantly want to run down America thinking we do not deserve such wealth

Libs also live in a state of denial. When confronted with their policy failures they ignore the truth and deny reality. They make excuses and try to blame others. they refuse to admit they were wrong and evenutally go back to the anger

I am not generalizing Noir. This started with ny 11th grade liberal SS teacher and it has been the same with most libs I have worked with and known ever since

LuvRPgrl
11-12-2011, 01:32 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/11/conservative-views-tied-to-personality-disorders-study-claims/

" (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/11/conservative-views-tied-to-personality-disorders-study-claims/)
the paper, by university of tampa professor marcus arvan, claims to find "significant" correlations between key antisocial personality traits and bedrock conservative views, like opposition to gay marriage and support for capital punishment. Specifically, the research claims to find elements of narcissism, psychopathy and machiavellianism, also described as "deception," among test subjects......and generally did not find signs of those traits among those with liberal views. "

lol, that is rich. Liberals are mentally healthy but conservatives are crazy.
This guy isn't even embarrassed about his agenda. i'll have to do some research on this professor.

great find tk, i havent laughed so hard since obama said he would turn the economy around
c
NOW THAT I think about it, maybe we are a bit off, we went crazy because they have driven us crazy by ramming all those damn liberal policies down our throats for the last 50 years.

Oh, no, it must be Bush's fault.

well, maybe we just need a trillion more dollars to solve the problem.

actually, I think its the republicans that are obstructing any plans we have to solve it.

Its OK now, our conservative leaders have promised us change in DC, a new wind, not the same ol, same ol.

Wait, its the bankers, we need to give the millionaire bankers who ripped off millions of middle class people of their homes, we need to give them billions of dollars in bailout, while the people eat cake

red states rule
11-12-2011, 01:34 PM
great find tk, i havent laughed so hard since obama said he would turn the economy around

Or when liberals say the stimulus actually worked and the economy is improving

Noir
11-12-2011, 01:43 PM
Nir I have had been dealing with libs for over 30 years and they have not chnaged very much in that time

Libs are very emotional, The run on anger and desperatioin. Everything is a crisis. Everything must be delt with now

If you oppose a liberal program you are lashed out at with anger. You are called meanspiitited, greedy, and uncaring. You are harassed and even threatened as the anger from the liberal gorows

Libs also deal alot in guilt. They have a hard time admitting how great America is, and how rich the nation is. Libs resent this and constantly want to run down America thinking we do not deserve such wealth

Libs also live in a state of denial. When confronted with their policy failures they ignore the truth and deny reality. They make excuses and try to blame others. they refuse to admit they were wrong and evenutally go back to the anger

I am not generalizing Noir. This started with ny 11th grade liberal SS teacher and it has been the same with most libs I have worked with and known ever since

Liberals like me? XD

Also listing a load of generalizations and then saying 'im not generalizing' doesn't quite cut it.

red states rule
11-12-2011, 01:47 PM
Liberals like me? XD

Also listing a load of generalizations and then saying 'im not generalizing' doesn't quite cut it.

Noir, you do not have a clue on how the libs act over here. You are still a young kid who has illusions of a utopia and a serious issue with anyone who believes in God

In a few years you might frow out of it and join the rest of us in the real world

I have spent 3o years dealing with liberals. I was debating them while you were taking a dump in your Pampers and your Mom was cleaning you up afterwards

Noir
11-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Noir, you do not have a clue on how the libs act over here. You are still a young kid who has illusions of a utopia and a serious issue with anyone who believes in God

In a few years you might frow out of it and join the rest of us in the real world

I have spent 3o years dealing with liberals. I was debating them while you were taking a dump in your Pampers and your Mom was cleaning you up afterwards

And I'll still be debating with them while you're taking a dump in your pampers and a nurse is cleaning you up afterwards, but that aside my point remains, if there is a correlation between mental Heath and politics it can only be coincidental.

red states rule
11-12-2011, 02:10 PM
And I'll still be debating with them while you're taking a dump in your pampers and a nurse is cleaning you up afterwards, but that aside my point remains, if there is a correlation between mental Heath and politics it can only be coincidental.

You really should try and come up with your own material Noir

Your "debate" is more like a few words then a fast exit. Like a liberal you have a cute personal insult when you are unable to offer any other type of response

That too may pass as you grow up. I do hope so since your future would be much brighter

KarlMarx
11-12-2011, 02:30 PM
This study reminds me of the use of psychiatrists by the Soviets to institutionalize enemies of the state. If you opposed the Soviet system, you'd be assigned to an institution to cure you of your mental problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry_in_the_Soviet_Union

Then there's the now widely use term "homophobia" which means "an irrational fear of homosexuals"... but which REALLY means "anyone who disagrees with the idea that the homosexual lifestyle is normal and healthy and disagrees with the agenda of the radical gay left". The terms implies that you have a mental problem if you disagree with gays.

Of course, there's always that "hate" label too. If you disagree with the Left about anything, you're a racist, bigot, homophobe, sexist, etc.

red states rule
11-12-2011, 02:32 PM
This study reminds me of the use of psychiatrists by the Soviets to institutionalize enemies of the state. If you opposed the Soviet system, you'd be assigned to an institution to cure you of your mental problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_abuse_of_psychiatry_in_the_Soviet_Union

Then there's the now widely use term "homophobia" which means "an irrational fear of homosexuals"... but which REALLY means "anyone who disagrees with the idea that the homosexual lifestyle is normal and healthy and disagrees with the agenda of the radical gay left". The terms implies that you have a mental problem if you disagree with gays.

Of course, there's always that "hate" label too. If you disagree with the Left about anything, you're a racist, bigot, homophobe, sexist, etc.

Which sums up the talking points of liberals for the last 30 years

Emotion is what keeps liberals going. Not logic, reason, or common sense

Psychoblues
11-12-2011, 09:09 PM
I can't speak for all conservatives but in Mississippi most are at best paranoid schizophrenics with a dose of narcissism in for good measure and are absolutely scared shitless of individual freedoms for anyone other than themselves, taxes of any description, love subsidies of all descriptions, and generally hate everyone including other republicans but particularly hate niggers of any political persuasion.

Psychoblues

fj1200
11-12-2011, 09:37 PM
^Doesn't fit any definition of conservative that I'm aware of... Except an ignorant one.

red states rule
11-13-2011, 04:18 AM
I can't speak for all conservatives but in Mississippi most are at best paranoid schizophrenics with a dose of narcissism in for good measure and are absolutely scared shitless of individual freedoms for anyone other than themselves, taxes of any description, love subsidies of all descriptions, and generally hate everyone including other republicans but particularly hate niggers of any political persuasion.

Psychoblues

Is this another example of tolerance from the far left PB?

Or could it be you are pissed off over Tuesday's election results where R's not only kept the Gov seat but also took over the state house as well

Dems took a beating in MS as well as in VA

Seems to me you are in more of a foul mood then usual due to you licking your wounds the voters inflicted on your Dem party

LuvRPgrl
11-13-2011, 04:10 PM

Psychoblues

I know you dont even believe that yourself.

Psychoblues
11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Is this another example of tolerance from the far left PB?

Or could it be you are pissed off over Tuesday's election results where R's not only kept the Gov seat but also took over the state house as well

Dems took a beating in MS as well as in VA

Seems to me you are in more of a foul mood then usual due to you licking your wounds the voters inflicted on your Dem party

We beat down Prop. 26, badly and just as planned. I, and other active Democrats, look much more long term than you and most like you, rsr. There is a particular cycle and propensity in Mississippi politics and the Democrats are still ruling the genuine roost in cities, towns, counties and even in the state houses. There will be coming up in the next few years much state legislation for which the republicans will have to show their cards. It ain't gonna be pretty for them but this is the direction they have chosen for themselves and the state and I say, "let them eat cake!"

Psychoblues

Psychoblues
11-13-2011, 05:09 PM
I know you dont even believe that yourself.

I believe every word of it to the bottom of my cold, cold heart. Ain't it just a godddamed shame?

Psychoblues

LuvRPgrl
11-13-2011, 05:22 PM
I believe every word of it to the bottom of my cold, cold heart. Ain't it just a godddamed shame?

Psychoblues

nope, you do not believe it. COLD heart, yea, thats true.

Shadow
11-13-2011, 06:00 PM

The paper, by University of Tampa professor Marcus Arvan, claims to find "significant" correlations between key antisocial personality traits and bedrock conservative views, like opposition to gay marriage and support for capital punishment. Specifically, the research claims to find elements of narcissism, psychopathy and Machiavellianism, also described as "deception," among test subjects......and generally did not find signs of those traits among those with liberal views. "

LOL, that is rich. Liberals are mentally healthy but Conservatives are crazy.
This guy isn't even embarrassed about his agenda. I'll have to do some research on this Professor.

This should be a case of "physician heal thy self". Takes a pretty narcissistic personality to believe that they are always right...and others who disagree or don't blindly go along with their crap are just "crazy".

Sounds like an excuse for not being able to convince the masses to follow the liberal agenda the old fashioned way. Next they will probably try to say they have created a new drug to rectify that. So...here sheeple medicate yourself....we know what's best for you after all.

red states rule
11-14-2011, 02:57 AM
This should be a case of "physician heal thy self". Takes a pretty narcissistic personality to believe that they are always right...and others who disagree or don't blindly go along with their crap are just "crazy".

Sounds like an excuse for not being able to convince the masses to follow the liberal agenda the old fashioned way. Next they will probably try to say they have created a new drug to rectify that. So...here sheeple medicate yourself....we know what's best for you after all.

You have accurately described what is known as a liberal's version of tolerance

Shadow
11-14-2011, 08:55 AM
You have accurately described what is known as a liberal's version of tolerance

Exactly. The study is said to point out "deceptions"...which is apparently a bad sign That somehow leads the researcher to his conclusions. What I want to know is what they would call the typical liberal stance of...We are for womens rights...unless they are conservative women...then we must attack everything about them and destroy them. We are for civil rights for black people...unless they are conservative...then we must ruin their reputations and destroy them...etc.

Libs aren't happy unless they can ruin a persons life and reputation...that can not be a sign of a "balanced" personality. Hell...look how they treated Bristol Palin...and she wasn't even running for any kind of office.

LuvRPgrl
11-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Exactly. The study is said to point out "deceptions"...which is apparently a bad sign That somehow leads the researcher to his conclusions. What I want to know is what they would call the typical liberal stance of...We are for womens rights...unless they are conservative women...then we must attack everything about them and destroy them. We are for civil rights for black people...unless they are conservative...then we must ruin their reputations and destroy them...etc.

Libs aren't happy unless they can ruin a persons life and reputation...that can not be a sign of a "balanced" personality. Hell...look how they treated Bristol Palin...and she wasn't even running for any kind of office.

those arent deceptions, they are out and out lies.
I had a roomer a few years ago, He was a die hard dem, cuz he?was in the union. After a year of listening to me, and my talk radio, he said, Ron, you made me realize Im actually a conservative republicsan.

so, which is he, anti social or not? Or did his personality suddenly change?

red states rule
11-15-2011, 02:58 AM

http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/liberal-brain.jpg

Shadow
11-15-2011, 09:35 AM
those arent deceptions, they are out and out lies.
I had a roomer a few years ago, He was a die hard dem, cuz he?was in the union. After a year of listening to me, and my talk radio, he said, Ron, you made me realize Im actually a conservative republicsan.

so, which is he, anti social or not? Or did his personality suddenly change?

That's what some people say...that when you are young you lean democrat...when you are older republican...maybe he finally just grew up. I may lean slightly to the left on certain social issues,but in my experience most democrats can be as nasty and hateful as they come. Even while claiming to be the compasionate and more tolerant crowd (not even close). Sometimes I see an issue in the news..and think...there is no way ANYONE can be for this or that issue . And sure enough...there will be liberals jumping all over it defending the crap every time. Case in point...a study showing that OBGYN's try to talk women into aborting downs kids with shoddy misleading information. Yep...they love to stick it to special needs children...see Trig Palin for more proof.

Since you led your roomate to change his views...they will probably say he was always anti social and probably weak minded as well (cuz you know...People aren't allowed to think for themself).

Shadow
11-15-2011, 09:37 AM
http://www.addictinginfo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/liberal-brain.jpg

Describes several in my family to a tee. One in particular...thanks for finally explaining it to me. Wonder if it can be cured :thumb:

cadet
11-15-2011, 10:51 AM

(http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/11/conservative-views-tied-to-personality-disorders-study-claims/)

did anyone actually click on the sight? the picture they use has a BUNCH of signs that say "Don't trust liberal media!" :laugh:

LuvRPgrl
11-15-2011, 11:56 AM
That's what some people say...that when you are young you lean democrat...when you are older republican...maybe he finally just grew up. I may lean slightly to the left on certain social issues,but in my experience most democrats can be as nasty and hateful as they come. Even while claiming to be the compasionate and more tolerant crowd (not even close). Sometimes I see an issue in the news..and think...there is no way ANYONE can be for this or that issue . And sure enough...there will be liberals jumping all over it defending the crap every time. Case in point...a study showing that OBGYN's try to talk women into aborting downs kids with shoddy misleading information. Yep...they love to stick it to special needs children...see Trig Palin for more proof.

Since you led your roomate to change his views...they will probably say he was always anti social and probably weak minded as well (cuz you know...People aren't allowed to think for themself).

did anyone actually click on the sight? the picture they use has a BUNCH of signs that say "Don't trust liberal media!" :laugh:
yea, but those holding the signs were tea party supporters

red states rule
11-16-2011, 02:41 AM
Describes several in my family to a tee. One in particular...thanks for finally explaining it to me. Wonder if it can be cured :thumb:

Sure it can be cured. Have them list to Rush 3 hours per day; Monday thru Friday for six weeks