PDA

View Full Version : Black Thursday?

red states rule
11-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Sorry, I will not be anywhere near any store on Black Thursday or Black Friday

I do not have the money, and there is nothing I need bad enough to fight these crazy nuts that will shove and attack you over a sale item

Get your wallets — and your elbows — ready.

Christmas shopping will be starting even earlier this year. Black Friday (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/walmart-black-friday-ad-announces-deals-12-days/story?id=14875261) is coming to Thursday. Yep, Thanksgiving Day (http://abcnews.go.com/Business/farecompares-thanksgiving-flight-shopping-guide/story?id=14664033).

“Nothing’s sacred anymore, I guess,” Chicago resident Amanda Palmucci said today. “I don’t agree with it. I think the best way to spend Thanksgiving is with your family – overeating, you know.”

For the first time, Target, Macy’s, Best Buy and Kohl’s say they will be opening their doors at midnight Thursday. Wal-Mart will open at 10 p.m.

“Basically what it is, it’s a race for space,” said Marshal Cohen, chief retail analyst at the NPD Group. “If retailers can be the first doors open, they’re going to capture that enthusiastic Black Friday customer.”

“If somebody is opening at midnight, well, look for somebody to say, ‘Well, we’re going to open at 11 p.m.,’ and look for someone else to say, ‘Well, we’re just not going to close on Thanksgiving Day at all,’” he said.

Cohen said that even though the weekend represented about 11 percent of the holiday business, it still set a tone.

“It tells consumers where they can tell their friends the really good deals are. People love to tell a great story,” he said.

“I can understand why they’re doing it – because of the economy at this point [and] trying to increase sales, ” said Phyllis Etheridge. “But I think [the holiday is] for family. Everyone should be at home, really, celebrating with their family.”

Etheridge said she supported the stores choosing not to open on Thanksgiving and hoped other shoppers would, too.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/2011/11/black-thursday-stores-opening-doors-on-thanksgiving-day/

Abbey Marie
11-12-2011, 03:42 PM
I guess this is the logical extension of all the families who don't bother to sit down and eat together anymore. Sad.

logroller
11-12-2011, 05:07 PM
I guess this is the logical extension of all the families who don't bother to sit down and eat together anymore. Sad.

Or that Christmas is about consumerism. Sad indeed. Cant even wait for one holiday to pass before pandering for the next.
Not me though, I go shopping on Christmas Eve. :coffee:

red states rule
11-13-2011, 04:50 AM

Valid point Abbey

But I also think another reason is given how the Obama economy stinks the stores are very worried about this holiday season and the next month and half will decide if some will be in business next year and now many of their employees will remain employed

red states rule
11-13-2011, 04:52 AM
Or that Christmas is about consumerism. Sad indeed. Cant even wait for one holiday to pass before pandering for the next.

Yea, thses stores sholud not depend on the Christmas season for their ENTIRE profit margin for the year

So what if this 45 day period makes or breaks their entire year?

They should have beter financial planners right?

Mr. P
11-13-2011, 01:24 PM

Ahhhh, a TRUE man of men! :thumb:

logroller
11-13-2011, 11:07 PM
Yea, thses stores sholud not depend on the Christmas season for their ENTIRE profit margin for the year

So what if this 45 day period makes or breaks their entire year?

They should have beter financial planners right?

Hey, I don't fault them necessarily-- that's what Christmas represents to business-- a big sale! It think it's derisive of what Christmas represents, but it is what it is; I don't buy into it though. Those who do, more power to ya; you can put those guys in the black-- I'm sure they need it. I just like the time with family. :thumb:

red states rule
11-14-2011, 03:21 AM
Hey, I don't fault them necessarily-- that's what Christmas represents to business-- a big sale! It think it's derisive of what Christmas represents, but it is what it is; I don't buy into it though. Those who do, more power to ya; you can put those guys in the black-- I'm sure they need it. I just like the time with family. :thumb:

As I said, I will not be there when the stores open up on Thanksgiving - but the stores are desperate given the Obama economy

The future of many stores, and the jobs of their employees, are on the line

This is more proof of just how bad the economy is

Shadow
11-14-2011, 08:39 AM
Sorry, I will not be anywhere near any store on Black Thursday or Black Friday

I do not have the money, and there is nothing I need bad enough to fight these crazy nuts that will shove and attack you over a sale item

I agree. A few times I have gone out shopping the day after Thanksgiving,but learned that for me it was mostly a waste of time. I don't like shopping with a bunch of greedy bastards who will fight you for that last Ipod (when they already have three in their cart). I'd rather go when I can take my time and look around...even if I have to spend an extra $10.00 for that sweater or DVD set.

Besides...too many home repairs...property taxes...medical bills... and so on this year...I'm too broke to buy anything.

Love Monkey
11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
I like Christmas and the whole holiday season. However, I think it should be against the law to put up Christmas decorations, run tv commercials, promote Christmas shopping, or anything like that until at least December 1st.

jimnyc
11-14-2011, 11:26 AM
Read the title and thought it was another holiday for the black folks. Was about to complain that whites have no holidays. /ignore me

Abbey Marie
11-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Think about those you love and what they like, and shop as you go during the late summer and fall. You end up with much better gifts, spread-out costs, and zero stress.

ConHog
11-14-2011, 01:59 PM
My Christmas shopping is already done, except for a few odds and ends. I only go on Black Friday if someone is advertising a great price on something I really want. Last year bought a 50" LED TV for $600, for example.

Abbey Marie
11-14-2011, 04:07 PM
My Christmas shopping is already done, except for a few odds and ends. I only go on Black Friday if someone is advertising a great price on something I really want. Last year bought a 50" LED TV for $600, for example.

And now you can enjoy Christmas more. :thumb:

ConHog
11-14-2011, 04:13 PM
And now you can enjoy Christmas more. :thumb:

I shop all year. Just picking up this and that when something strikes my eye for someone in particular. Then of course the wife is in charge of big Christmas shopping, I'm just along to carry the bags and hand over cash :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
11-14-2011, 04:22 PM
I shop all year. Just picking up this and that when something strikes my eye for someone in particular. Then of course the wife is in charge of big Christmas shopping, I'm just along to carry the bags and hand over cash :laugh2:

Works for me!
(though I do most of my shopping on line these days). No bags required, and I am keeping the UPS guys employed. :cool:

Shadow
11-14-2011, 10:05 PM

I usually shop all year too. This year though...time got away from me...not sure how that happened either. Time just goes way too fast when you are an old fart I guess..

red states rule
11-15-2011, 02:36 AM
Think about those you love and what they like, and shop as you go during the late summer and fall. You end up with much better gifts, spread-out costs, and zero stress.

Abbey, I do not know what you like. or where to mail it

Abbey Marie
11-15-2011, 09:43 AM

I like my peeps here on DP. :cool: :salute: :thumb: :beer:

ConHog
11-15-2011, 09:45 AM

I know what Abbey likes, as for mailing it, well I'm not sure I want to be boxed up and sent via UPS. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
11-15-2011, 09:49 AM
I know what Abbey likes, as for mailing it, well I'm not sure I want to be boxed up and sent via UPS. :laugh2:

Oh, dooo ya now? ;)

ConHog
11-15-2011, 09:51 AM
Oh, dooo ya now? ;)

There's nary a woman alive who could resist chocolate covered ConHog if offered. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
11-15-2011, 09:59 AM
There's nary a woman alive who could resist chocolate covered ConHog if offered. :laugh:

Is that dark chocolate? Cause, that's what I like. :laugh2:

ConHog
11-15-2011, 10:01 AM
Is that dark chocolate? Cause, that's what I like. :laugh2:

I'm like Burger King , you get it your way. :2up:

red states rule
11-16-2011, 02:33 AM

and have it end up in the dead letter office :laugh2:

red states rule
11-16-2011, 02:35 AM
I usually shop all year too. This year though...time got away from me...not sure how that happened either. Time just goes way too fast when you are an old fart I guess..

I give gift cards to the stores I know they like. It is easy and they can get what they want

Shadow
11-16-2011, 09:17 AM
I give gift cards to the stores I know they like. It is easy and they can get what they want

I'm beginning to see it your way. I used to hate giving out gift cards because shopping to find the right gift for someone was part of my Christmas routine (and enjoyable). Not so much any more though. I'm either short on time,resources...or just becoming a big bah humbug lately. I see lots of gift cards getting given out this year.

ConHog
11-16-2011, 09:20 AM
and have it end up in the dead letter office :laugh2:

That would be my like. I'd strip down , cover myself in chocolate (dark) and ship myself to Abbey only to find myself shoved in a closet somewhere with the other undeliverable packages.

Or Abbey's husband would accept the delivery and decide to see what sort of big package she was receiving.

red states rule
11-17-2011, 05:26 AM
That would be my like. I'd strip down , cover myself in chocolate (dark) and ship myself to Abbey only to find myself shoved in a closet somewhere with the other undeliverable packages.

Or Abbey's husband would accept the delivery and decide to see what sort of big package she was receiving.

The last thing anyone needs is more junk mail CH

Jess
11-17-2011, 10:04 PM

Chocolate?

Did someone say "chocolate"?

Jess
11-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm beginning to see it your way. I used to hate giving out gift cards because shopping to find the right gift for someone was part of my Christmas routine (and enjoyable). Not so much any more though. I'm either short on time,resources...or just becoming a big bah humbug lately. I see lots of gift cards getting given out this year.

Little kids are fun to buy for.

Last year things were beyond "tight" and if not for some of my clients either directly buying stuff for my kids or giving me money to buy the kids presents, there would have been very little to open.

The interesting thing is that me and the minions had a great day. Perhaps the best Christmas ever, as we just had a few gifts and they were perfect. We were also able to enjoy our time together more.

And I totally got props for being able to put together Lego sets like a pro. :cool:

red states rule
11-18-2011, 02:41 AM

Gift cards make my life so much easier. I finish ALL my Christmas shopping in about 15 minutes. The people on my list get a gift card for their favorite store, no crowds to mess with (I have already bought them online), no long lines at the checkout stand, and I know my gift will not be returned due some error on my part

Jess
11-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Gift cards make my life so much easier. I finish ALL my Christmas shopping in about 15 minutes. The people on my list get a gift card for their favorite store, no crowds to mess with (I have already bought them online), no long lines at the checkout stand, and I know my gift will not be returned due some error on my part

Wow! You are da man. :clap:

Shadow
11-18-2011, 10:35 AM

Last year things were beyond "tight" and if not for some of my clients either directly buying stuff for my kids or giving me money to buy the kids presents, there would have been very little to open.

The interesting thing is that me and the minions had a great day. Perhaps the best Christmas ever, as we just had a few gifts and they were perfect. We were also able to enjoy our time together more.

And I totally got props for being able to put together Lego sets like a pro. :cool:

Sounds like you had a great day! I agree...it's the little things that mean the most.

ConHog
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

Yes indeed. I have 2 little girls to buy for , my daughter and my niece and they are definitely fun to shop for, and I don't go overboard at all.

ConHog
11-18-2011, 10:49 AM

My wife would divorce me if she ever received a gift card from me.

Jess
11-18-2011, 11:25 AM
My wife would divorce me if she ever received a gift card from me.

Tell her to be glad she got anything.

And get in the kitchen and make you a sammich. :laugh:

For real tho, you definitely wouldn't be getting the Christmas bj that everybody (except jimmy apparently) gets. True story, my nizzle.

ConHog
11-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Tell her to be glad she got anything.

And get in the kitchen and make you a sammich. :laugh:

For real tho, you definitely wouldn't be getting the Christmas bj that everybody (except jimmy apparently) gets. True story, my nizzle.

I feel sorry for those guys who only get blow jobs on holidays or their birthdays. Oh wait, that's probably why my wife will never get an impersonal gift card for Christmas.

red states rule
11-19-2011, 03:37 AM
Wow! You are da man. :clap:

My GF tells me that all the time.

Why people consider gift cards "impersonal" is amazing. I doubt you will find anyone standing in those long lines at the stores to return a gift card on Dec 26