PDA

View Full Version : Mayor Who Targeted Illegals Wins _ Twice

Abbey Marie
05-16-2007, 02:21 AM
Mayor Who Targeted Illegals Wins _ Twice
Wednesday, May 16, 2007

By MICHAEL RUBINKAM, Associated Press Writer

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta, who gained national attention by targeting illegal immigrants living in his small northeastern Pennsylvania city, cruised to the Republican nomination for a third term on Tuesday _ and unexpectedly won the Democratic nomination, too.

Barletta trounced GOP challenger Dee Deakos with nearly 94 percent of the vote. And he beat former Mayor Michael Marsicano for the Democratic nomination by staging a last-minute write-in campaign, all but guaranteeing himself another term, unofficial returns showed.

"I think the message is clear," Barletta said. "The people of Hazleton want me to keep fighting for them."

The Republican mayor said Democrats kept telling him they wished they could vote for him in the primary. So, about a week ago, he mailed instructions to Democratic voters on how to write in his name.

Marsicano, a retired airline pilot who was Hazleton's mayor from 1996 to 1999, had appeared alone on the Democratic ballot.

Barletta, a businessman who took office in 2000, proposed the Illegal Immigration Relief Act last year after four illegal immigrants were charged with shooting and killing a man.

The measure, on hold due to a legal challenge by Hispanic groups and individuals, was approved last summer and emulated by other towns and cities. It would penalize landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and businesses that hire them.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May16/0,4670,IllegalImmigrantsCrackdown,00.html

Doniston
05-16-2007, 10:45 AM
Wednesday, May 16, 2007

ALLENTOWN, Pa. — Hazleton Mayor Lou Barletta, who gained national attention by targeting illegal immigrants living in his small northeastern Pennsylvania city, cruised to the Republican nomination for a third term on Tuesday _ and unexpectedly won the Democratic nomination, too.

Barletta trounced GOP challenger Dee Deakos with nearly 94 percent of the vote. And he beat former Mayor Michael Marsicano for the Democratic nomination by staging a last-minute write-in campaign, all but guaranteeing himself another term, unofficial returns showed.

"I think the message is clear," Barletta said. "The people of Hazleton want me to keep fighting for them."

The Republican mayor said Democrats kept telling him they wished they could vote for him in the primary. So, about a week ago, he mailed instructions to Democratic voters on how to write in his name.

Marsicano, a retired airline pilot who was Hazleton's mayor from 1996 to 1999, had appeared alone on the Democratic ballot.

Barletta, a businessman who took office in 2000, proposed the Illegal Immigration Relief Act last year after four illegal immigrants were charged with shooting and killing a man.

The measure, on hold due to a legal challenge by Hispanic groups and individuals, was approved last summer and emulated by other towns and cities. It would penalize landlords who rent to illegal immigrants and businesses that hire them.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007May16/0,4670,IllegalImmigrantsCrackdown,00.html

In a way, this is kind of funny, and it just goes to prove that Rep/Dem parties are passe, and it now comes down to Lib/con parties.

Monkeybone
05-16-2007, 10:51 AM
no it comes down to more being 'party loyal' instead of voting for ppl who do the right thing and good job. heaven forbid a dem votes for a repub, no matter how well he does, cause you know...he ain't from their party.

Abbey Marie
05-16-2007, 12:31 PM
In a way, this is kind of funny, and it just goes to prove that Rep/Dem parties are passe, and it now comes down to Lib/con parties.

I think it goes to show that it's easy to be liberal, as long the effects of your liberal policies are not in your own backyard.

Pale Rider
05-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Wednesday, May 16, 2007

ALLENTOWN, Pa. —

I think what's true there in PA is true nation wide. People are sick and tired of illegal aliens, and the total and complete inaction of the president and the feds to do something about it. So when states and towns finaly do something, people are thrilled.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 01:08 PM
I think what's true there in PA is true nation wide. People are sick and tired of illegal aliens, and the total and complete inaction of the president and the feds to do something about. So when states and towns finaly do something, people are thrilled.

I think anyone who takes a stance on illegal immigration will win. It's getting really bad, especially here in Nevada, this is where they seem to flock to.

Monkeybone
05-16-2007, 01:10 PM
it is ppl finaly starting to open their eyes. at first it was 'um..ok' and then 'well...i don't wanna be racist' and now ppl are going 'wait just a minute here'. it might almost be to late, specially with the places that let them vote

musicman
05-16-2007, 05:46 PM
I think it goes to show that it's easy to be liberal, as long the effects of your liberal policies are not in your own backyard.

OK - this might be the post of the year. You have just hit upon a fundamental human truth. Rep - kudos - rose petals at your feet!

Pale Rider
05-16-2007, 06:24 PM

You must spread some reputation around before giving to Abbey again.

I hate that. You deserve rep for that prophetic statement Ab. I'll catch you up first chance I get.