PDA

View Full Version : Do you fry your Thanksgiving turkey?

Abbey Marie
11-16-2011, 05:02 PM
By BIL did once. It made me gag to smell all that grease cooking.

Way to take a fairly healthy recipe (oven roasted turkey) and make it unhealthy.

What do you all do?

fj1200
11-16-2011, 05:06 PM
We did it once... delicious. It's just a pain to do and the oil seems to cost more than the turkey, makes much more sense if you're doing more than one.

You're supposed to do it in peanut oil, not grease, I don't think that makes it unhealthy and it's done so much more quickly.

Abbey Marie
11-16-2011, 05:07 PM
We did it once... delicious. It's just a pain to do and the oil seems to cost more than the turkey, makes much more sense if you're doing more than one.

You're supposed to do it in peanut oil, not grease, I don't think that makes it unhealthy and it's done so much more quickly.

I don't know what type of oil he used. I called it grease because that is what it smelled like to me.

Kathianne
11-16-2011, 05:23 PM
This year I'm having the kids and spouses/fiancees here. I'll roast the turkey, I'm a traditionalist. ;) I've always made a sausage, sage, bread recipe for dressing. I'm thinking of changing that perhaps this year.

ConHog
11-16-2011, 05:57 PM
This year I'm having the kids and spouses/fiancees here. I'll roast the turkey, I'm a traditionalist. ;) I've always made a sausage, sage, bread recipe for dressing. I'm thinking of changing that perhaps this year.

I LOVE fried turkey, and yes Abbey it has to be peanut oil otherwise it just doesn't taste right, but I also love my mom's stuffing and gravy so this year we are going to fry a turkey breast and roast a small turkey so we have gravy to go with our dressing and mashed potatoes.

Kathianne
11-16-2011, 06:05 PM
I LOVE fried turkey, and yes Abbey it has to be peanut oil otherwise it just doesn't taste right, but I also love my mom's stuffing and gravy so this year we are going to fry a turkey breast and roast a small turkey so we have gravy to go with our dressing and mashed potatoes.

I'm sure I'd love it fried, but not for Thanksgiving, at least here. My brother has said he's going to fry a turkey, think I'll give him a call. ;)

MtnBiker
11-16-2011, 06:08 PM
I only roast my turkey, no frying. I have had fried turkey and it is ok. It is almost time to start making jalapeno cranberry relish, ymmmm.

Little-Acorn
11-16-2011, 06:40 PM
I'd never even HEARD of deep-frying a turkey, until a few years ago. And I'm a really old guy. And I was aghast at the very idea.

Oven-baking only, now and forever.

I also found out that, if you oven-bake one that's 20# or bigger, the white meat turns out dry. But if you oven-bake one smaller than that, it comes out wonderfully juicy.

Why on Earth anyone would EVER deep-fry a turkey, I'll never know. Do you deep-fry the pumpkin pies too?

DragonStryk72
11-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Nah, we do oven-roasted, with plenty of basting. Never really got the fascination with frying the turkey, but that may be because I used to work the fryers at Long John Silvers

fj1200
11-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Why on Earth anyone would EVER deep-fry a turkey...

This is why.

... it comes out wonderfully juicy.

And it cooks fast, 3 minutes per pound.

ConHog
11-16-2011, 09:53 PM
I'd never even HEARD of deep-frying a turkey, until a few years ago. And I'm a really old guy. And I was aghast at the very idea.

Oven-baking only, now and forever.

I also found out that, if you oven-bake one that's 20# or bigger, the white meat turns out dry. But if you oven-bake one smaller than that, it comes out wonderfully juicy.

Why on Earth anyone would EVER deep-fry a turkey, I'll never know. Do you deep-fry the pumpkin pies too?

Fried turkey is just incredibly delicious. Now as to whether you'd eat it for Thanksgiving, that's a matter of opinion. My mom flat put her foot down that she was roasting a turkey whether we fried one or not, and we were a okay with that because of the gravy situation. but fried turkey is awesome.

Jess
11-16-2011, 10:12 PM

Way to take a fairly healthy recipe (oven roasted turkey) and make it unhealthy.

What do you all do?

Deep-fried turkey is nummy. The ex actually did that pretty good.

We did smoked turkeys too. If you stuff the cavity with apple and onion slices it keeps the turkey moist and gives it a little bit of that flavor BUT it may take longer to get the bird done.

I'm ordering a pizza and staying in my pjs all day this year. ;)

ConHog
11-16-2011, 10:22 PM

We did smoked turkeys too. If you stuff the cavity with apple and onion slices it keeps the turkey moist and gives it a little bit of that flavor BUT it may take longer to get the bird done.

Da fuck?

Shadow
11-16-2011, 10:30 PM

Me too. Already informed my mom to count me out and that I am NOT participating this year. Planning on ordering take out...watching movies...and ending the day with a long bubble bath and a smutty book (or christmas stories...depends on my mood).

BTW never tried baking a turkey with apples and onion's ...that sounds good. Ever tried it with chicken? I have one of those in the freezer right now.

Kathianne
11-17-2011, 04:42 AM

Now that you brought up smoked turkey, ahhhh! More than a few years ago my brother got a huge smoker, that started the 'one smoked turkey' and 'one roasted turkey' dinners. Two years ago he got the big ole' deep fryer, supposedly he's working towards perfection. I think somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm going to make him prove that up! I love smoked turkey!

darin
11-17-2011, 06:29 AM
won't go back to oven-roasted turkey. Deep fried bird is simply TOO tasty, TOO easy, and TOO healthy* to go back to the oven.

Best how-to for a fried turkey: Alton Brown - Good Eats (lifting contraption NOT required) (http://www.foodnetwork.com/deep-fried-turkey2/video/index.html).

We are fans of stuffing - I don't miss it, however, because our DRESSING is amazing now. As the bird rests post-cooking, I remove parts of the skin and meat to dice into the dressing (along with giblets). I also use an immersion-blender to take fall-offs and cutt-offs from the bird to flavor the gravy.

*A major study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that 100 percent peanut oil provides the same heart healthy benefits as olive oil. Peanut oil is high in unsaturated fats, especially monounsaturated fat, and is a natural source of heart-healthy vitamin E and phytosterols.

http://www.turkeyfrying.net/newsroom.html

Jess
11-17-2011, 10:37 AM
Da fuck?

I've got to work most of the week (as usual), I have four ... errrr, three little boys and one big boy. I have enough to deal with. Gonna stay home with my fellas and be thankful that we are together and that the local store sells pizzas. What's wrong with that? 2600

We MAY do an oven-roasted turkey. IF I get the urge. It definitely helps heat the house up and a lot can be done with leftovers. My favorite is casserole - yeah, I know ... casserole. But you take turkey meat, stuffing/dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy and you could probably use green beans too. Anyhoo, using whatever sized pan works for your household, put the leftovers in layers: stuffing/dressing on the bottom, then meat, gravy, corn/beans and top it off with potatoes. Heat it in the oven and enjoy the heck out of it. 2601

ConHog
11-17-2011, 10:39 AM
Now that you brought up smoked turkey, ahhhh! More than a few years ago my brother got a huge smoker, that started the 'one smoked turkey' and 'one roasted turkey' dinners. Two years ago he got the big ole' deep fryer, supposedly he's working towards perfection. I think somewhere between Thanksgiving and Christmas I'm going to make him prove that up! I love smoked turkey!

I don't know about smoked turkey, but we've taken to smoking our own hams, and WOW , quite yummy.

This year for Thanksgiving morning I'm smoking a breakfast fatty though :D

Jess
11-17-2011, 10:41 AM
Me too. Already informed my mom to count me out and that I am NOT participating this year. Planning on ordering take out...watching movies...and ending the day with a long bubble bath and a smutty book (or christmas stories...depends on my mood).

BTW never tried baking a turkey with apples and onion's ...that sounds good. Ever tried it with chicken? I have one of those in the freezer right now.
Your Thanksgiving day sounds excellent too. :thumb:

I use slices of apple and onion whenever I cook chicken breasts. Put the chicken, apples and onions in a pan (med/low heat) with some butter, salt and pepper and let the whole thing cook down. No muss, no fuss and you can get other stuff done while it's cooking. My kids love it that way.

Jess
11-17-2011, 10:44 AM
I don't know about smoked turkey, but we've taken to smoking our own hams, and WOW , quite yummy.

This year for Thanksgiving morning I'm smoking a breakfast fatty though :D

Smoked turkey ROCKS, CH! For real.

The last year the ex and I were together, dinner was at our house. We had a smoked turkey, a fried turkey, an oven-fried turkey and a ham. Plus all the fixin's. Can we all say "overkill"? :rolleyes:

Of course, there was 20+ people at dinner. Ugh.

And then there's the "turducken": a duck stuffed inside a chicken which is stuffed inside a turkey. Gotta love us rednecks. ;)
http://homecooking.about.com/od/turkeyrecipes/r/blturkey13.htm

Oooooh! Apparently we even went beyond that and wrapped it all in .... wait for it .... BACON! 2603

http://bacontoday.com/turbaconducken-turducken-wrapped-in-bacon/

I gotta go to work before my arteries harden just looking at that.

ConHog
11-17-2011, 10:45 AM
I've got to work most of the week (as usual), I have four ... errrr, three little boys and one big boy. I have enough to deal with. Gonna stay home with my fellas and be thankful that we are together and that the local store sells pizzas. What's wrong with that? 2600

We MAY do an oven-roasted turkey. IF I get the urge. It definitely helps heat the house up and a lot can be done with leftovers. My favorite is casserole - yeah, I know ... casserole. But you take turkey meat, stuffing/dressing, mashed potatoes, corn, gravy and you could probably use green beans too. Anyhoo, using whatever sized pan works for your household, put the leftovers in layers: stuffing/dressing on the bottom, then meat, gravy, corn/beans and top it off with potatoes. Heat it in the oven and enjoy the heck out of it. 2601

I'd tell that Marine to get off his can and cook dinner LOL.

My favorite leftover is turkey pot pie. My mom has a recipe that is amazing. And when I say amazing. I mean I've never met ANYONE who doesn't love it. She usually has to make about 12 of them after Thanksgiving so that everyone gets one (or two if we can manage it lol)

ConHog
11-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Smoked turkey ROCKS, CH! For real.

The last year the ex and I were together, dinner was at our house. We had a smoked turkey, a fried turkey, an oven-fried turkey and a ham. Plus all the fixin's. Can we all say "overkill"? :rolleyes:

Of course, there was 20+ people at dinner. Ugh.

Oh, I believe you. I think you could smoke an old shoe and it would taste pretty good. I love my smoker and its just a little cheap $80 electric job. But I love fried turkey and roasted turkey too much to give one of them up in trade for smoked. And we don't do turkey for Christmas so don't know when I'd try it.

Jess
11-17-2011, 10:54 AM
I'd tell that Marine to get off his can and cook dinner LOL.

My favorite leftover is turkey pot pie. My mom has a recipe that is amazing. And when I say amazing. I mean I've never met ANYONE who doesn't love it. She usually has to make about 12 of them after Thanksgiving so that everyone gets one (or two if we can manage it lol)

Who do you think is gonna go get the pizza? :cool:

jimnyc
11-17-2011, 11:07 AM
Had a deep fried turkey while I was in Georgia a few years back. I had never even heard of doing such a thing at the time and thought it was odd. A bunch of rednecks standing outside dipping a perfectly good turkey into a big pot of oil. I can call them rednecks as it was my brother and his best friend! But anyway, they dipped for 30 seconds and pulled it out to seal it up good, then back in for like 20-30 minutes, I can't recall, and that was it, she was done! It looked perfectly brown all the way around but I was reserving judgment until the taste test. That was easily the best tasting and juiciest turkey I have ever eaten! Perfectly cooked all the way through, even if it would harden my arteries!

I told my wife about this process, and she's from the south, and she laughed and said it would never happen around here. So I'm back to the 'ol oven roasted for 3,000 hours while I dream of that awesome fried turkey!

ConHog
11-17-2011, 11:10 AM
Had a deep fried turkey while I was in Georgia a few years back. I had never even heard of doing such a thing at the time and thought it was odd. A bunch of rednecks standing outside dipping a perfectly good turkey into a big pot of oil. I can call them rednecks as it was my brother and his best friend! But anyway, they dipped for 30 seconds and pulled it out to seal it up good, then back in for like 20-30 minutes, I can't recall, and that was it, she was done! It looked perfectly brown all the way around but I was reserving judgment until the taste test. That was easily the best tasting and juiciest turkey I have ever eaten! Perfectly cooked all the way through, even if it would harden my arteries!

I told my wife about this process, and she's from the south, and she laughed and said it would never happen around here. So I'm back to the 'ol oven roasted for 3,000 hours while I dream of that awesome fried turkey!

Offer a compromise like we did with my mom (and we NEVER could while Grandma was alive noway) we're just going to fry a turkey breast and she's going to roast a turkey. My brother got a 9lb breast. That should be plenty to go along with everything else. Oh and that Alton Brown recipe poster earlier is the only way to go.

Little-Acorn
11-17-2011, 11:37 AM
I think you could smoke an old shoe and it would taste pretty good.

This explains the approval of fried turkey. :D

darin
11-17-2011, 12:12 PM
Jim - one of these years, you should join us for TGiving. :)

KarlMarx
11-17-2011, 01:08 PM

What do you all do?
I don't cook the turkey, I eat it but my Mom and my g/f both roast. My g/f's son-in-law fried the turkey once and it tasted delicious.

Of course not roasting the turkey on Thanksgiving is one way of making a Thursday into a Fry-day, but I guess that's just a bad joke. :)

Speaking of thanksgiving, it's the only holiday that was ever mentioned in Star Trek the original series (the episode Charlie-X)... they were having turkey made from synthetic meat loaf and I doubt that they were frying those :)