PDA

View Full Version : Democratic Senator Leaves Sick Bed To Vote!!!!!

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 02:42 AM
It's a responsibility thing, don't you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By GARY SCHARRER
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Sen. Carlos Uresti, D-San Antonio, stayed in bed Tuesday morning — dizzy, nauseated, feverish and chilled from a nasty case of the flu — until he got an urgent call to run over to the Senate floor.
Uresti ran, sprinting up the Capitol steps to reach the chamber just seconds before his name was called, thwarting Republicans trying to rush through a controversial voter identification bill.
And then Uresti hurried off to the Senate lounge — to vomit.
Moments before the dramatic entrance, a verbal skirmish had erupted between Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and the Senate's senior member, Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston. When Whitmire cursed, Dewhurst threatened to evict him.
The tension followed Republican efforts to require photo or other forms of identification as a prerequisite to voting.
"Overwhelmingly, Texans believe that only American citizens who are Texas residents should vote in elections," Dewhurst said later. "We believe in the right of every individual to vote, but that individual should be an American citizen."
House Bill 218 would require voters to present photo identification, such as a driver's license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety, a U.S. military ID card or a U.S. passport or, alternatively, two copies of utility bills, bank statements, a marriage license, a divorce decree or similar documents showing the person's name and address.
Dewhurst criticized the Democratic Party for trying to kill the bill, which has been opposed by civil rights organizations, the AARP and the League of Women Voters.
Republicans almost universally support the voter ID bill, while Democrats call it an attempt to suppress turnout among low-income minorities and the elderly.
Uresti said some of his elderly relatives never obtained a driver's license. "It would be very difficult (for some people) to gather that information," he said. "It's an attempt to discourage them from voting."
It takes a two-thirds majority in the Senate to bring up a bill for debate, meaning 11 senators can block legislation if all 31 are present. With Uresti ill, Democrats were one vote short of 11. GOP leaders seized an opportunity to call up the bill.
One Republican, Sen. Glenn Hegar, R-Katy, was not on the floor to support that move. But Dewhurst did not see Whitmire, who had entered the Senate lounge behind the chamber. Dewhurst announced that 19 senators voted for debate and nine opposed, allowing debate.
A livid Whitmire said, "I have the right to have my vote reflected," adding an expletive. Dewhurst warned: "You are going to compose yourself, or you are going to leave the floor."
After some tense moments, Dewhurst agreed to call the roll again, but Hegar was back and the outcome would not change.

More: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4807864.html

Some Americans do better than others as to holding up their responsibilities. Most time it is Democrats that carry the banner and the repukes use every trick in the book to chill the good feelings of what the Democrats are attempting to do!!!!!!!

stephanie
05-16-2007, 02:46 AM
:laugh2: :clap:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 04:34 AM
I bought you one too many Cape Cods in the Lounge, didn't I?

:laugh2: :clap:

The man got out of his hospital bed to fulfill his responsibilities. I think that an admirable thing.

stephanie
05-16-2007, 04:40 AM
I bought you one too many Cape Cods in the Lounge, didn't I?

The man got out of his hospital bed to fulfill his responsibilities. I think that an admirable thing.

Well....shoot...Pin a medal on him.......Pheeeeesh...

I get out of my sick bed MANY OF time for my children.....:slap:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 05:03 AM
And gwb wouldn't roll over and fart just so you could fully appreciate the embodiment of it's full aroma, staphy.

Well....shoot...Pin a medal on him.......Pheeeeesh...

I get out of my sick bed MANY OF time for my children.....:slap:

Never mind. You didn't get it then and I doubt you will get it now.

stephanie
05-16-2007, 05:09 AM
And gwb wouldn't roll over and fart just so you could fully appreciate the embodiment of it's full aroma, staphy.

Never mind. You didn't get it then and I doubt you will get it now.

:laugh2: You're the one...who put this stupid post up....

What.....are we all suppose to be.....:dance: :dance: :dance:

Whooo....hooooo...Great..What a person....I'm doing somersaults....:poke:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 05:20 AM
The senator left his hospital bed to cast his vote on an issue that is probably important to you and I know it is important to me.

:laugh2: You're the one...who put this stupid post up....

What.....are we all suppose to be.....:dance: :dance: :dance:

Whooo....hooooo...Great..What a person....I'm doing somersaults....:poke:

Your choice is to suck up the Cape Cods and avoid the implications of the legislation. It's all there in the original post. Are you really that delusional?

stephanie
05-16-2007, 05:27 AM
The senator left his hospital bed to cast his vote on an issue that is probably important to you and I know it is important to me.

Your choice is to suck up the Cape Cods and avoid the implications of the legislation. It's all there in the original post. Are you really that delusional?

:laugh2:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 05:33 AM
You are simply laughing again, staphy.

:laugh2:

That is not a good sign of intelligence or understanding. There is a difference, you know.

diuretic
05-16-2007, 05:35 AM
On a side note, he's done it for us blokes now. We reserve the right to take to our sick beds at the first sign of a little illness so we can lay abed and be waited on hand and foot by our good ladies because we are so very unwell. You think they'll believe us now???? :coffee:

stephanie
05-16-2007, 05:38 AM
On a side note, he's done it for us blokes now. We reserve the right to take to our sick beds at the first sign of a little illness so we can lay abed and be waited on hand and foot by our good ladies because we are so very unwell. You think they'll believe us now???? :coffee:

WHAT??:slap:
:coffee:

Psychoblues
05-16-2007, 05:40 AM
That's right!!!!!

And the ladies LOVE you for it!!!!!! Everybody must feel needed but then everybody must get stoned!!!!!!!!

It's the human dichotomy!!!!!!!!

diuretic
05-16-2007, 06:30 AM
That's right!!!!!

And the ladies LOVE you for it!!!!!! Everybody must feel needed but then everybody must get stoned!!!!!!!!

It's the human dichotomy!!!!!!!!

Rainy Day Women 12 and 35 :D

Doniston
05-16-2007, 10:22 AM
It's a responsibility thing, don't you know!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By GARY SCHARRER
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle Austin Bureau

AUSTIN — Sen. Carlos Uresti, D-San Antonio, stayed in bed Tuesday morning — dizzy, nauseated, feverish and chilled from a nasty case of the flu — until he got an urgent call to run over to the Senate floor.
Uresti ran, sprinting up the Capitol steps to reach the chamber just seconds before his name was called, thwarting Republicans trying to rush through a controversial voter identification bill.
And then Uresti hurried off to the Senate lounge — to vomit.
Moments before the dramatic entrance, a verbal skirmish had erupted between Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst and the Senate's senior member, Sen. John Whitmire, D-Houston. When Whitmire cursed, Dewhurst threatened to evict him.
The tension followed Republican efforts to require photo or other forms of identification as a prerequisite to voting.
"Overwhelmingly, Texans believe that only American citizens who are Texas residents should vote in elections," Dewhurst said later. "We believe in the right of every individual to vote, but that individual should be an American citizen."
House Bill 218 would require voters to present photo identification, such as a driver's license issued by the Texas Department of Public Safety, a U.S. military ID card or a U.S. passport or, alternatively, two copies of utility bills, bank statements, a marriage license, a divorce decree or similar documents showing the person's name and address.
Dewhurst criticized the Democratic Party for trying to kill the bill, which has been opposed by civil rights organizations, the AARP and the League of Women Voters.
Republicans almost universally support the voter ID bill, while Democrats call it an attempt to suppress turnout among low-income minorities and the elderly.
Uresti said some of his elderly relatives never obtained a driver's license. "It would be very difficult (for some people) to gather that information," he said. "It's an attempt to discourage them from voting."
It takes a two-thirds majority in the Senate to bring up a bill for debate, meaning 11 senators can block legislation if all 31 are present. With Uresti ill, Democrats were one vote short of 11. GOP leaders seized an opportunity to call up the bill.
One Republican, Sen. Glenn Hegar, R-Katy, was not on the floor to support that move. But Dewhurst did not see Whitmire, who had entered the Senate lounge behind the chamber. Dewhurst announced that 19 senators voted for debate and nine opposed, allowing debate.
A livid Whitmire said, "I have the right to have my vote reflected," adding an expletive. Dewhurst warned: "You are going to compose yourself, or you are going to leave the floor."
After some tense moments, Dewhurst agreed to call the roll again, but Hegar was back and the outcome would not change.

More: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4807864.html

Some Americans do better than others as to holding up their responsibilities. Most time it is Democrats that carry the banner and the repukes use every trick in the book to chill the good feelings of what the Democrats are attempting to do!!!!!!!

Apparently he felt strongly about the bill, and so he did the right thing. Regardless of polotical affiliation. However, I find it rather strange that Democrats would attempt to kill a Voter ID Bill. ------must not have been the liberal arm. I know I would have been fighting to get the bill passed.

Monkeybone
05-16-2007, 10:38 AM

where did it say that he was in the hospital?

5stringJeff
05-17-2007, 10:03 PM
Great... a Democrat exposed the entire Texas Senate to his flu germs to stifle debate on a common-sense bill.

05-17-2007, 11:42 PM
Holy crap, a Democrat Senator who actually votes.... what is this nation coming to?

Psychoblues
05-23-2007, 10:17 PM
A Democratic Nation.

Holy crap, a Democrat Senator who actually votes.... what is this nation coming to?

Why would you ask?