PDA

View Full Version : Googles biz plan does NOT unclude ANY privacy online

revelarts
11-20-2011, 10:10 AM
This is an article from poopular Science It's A Q&A with a computer scientist about Quatum Computing and he it reporter notes that the way Quantum computing works there's It would make the internet and specifically search faster more efficient AND completely Untraceable.
this is the tech break through I've mentioned several times. Instead of assuming there NO way to make the internet private figure out a way to do it. Well here it is in Embryo by accident no less.
So the scientist mentions he took his Concept to GOOGLE for Funding, here's the quote

What if you don't use your computer for solving linear equations? How about quantum Googling?
You mean Quoogle? We've played with this idea. You could search databases faster with complete security and anonymity. After Quoogle gives you the answer, you're absolutely guaranteed that Quoogle cannot copy what the question is, because when you make a measurement on an unknown quantum state, you inevitably mess it up. The no-cloning theorem says that if you try to copy an unknown quantum state, (a) you can't, and (b) you inevitably mess up the quantum state by trying. So you can't copy the question.

This is private browsing on a new level.
Yeah, and actually I took the idea to Sergey Brin and Larry Page [of Google], and I said, "Hey dudes, we came up with this awesome idea for quantum Internet. How would you like to fund this or buy the company?" And they came back and said, "We're really sorry, but our whole business plan is based on knowing everything about everybody. So this goes against our business plan."

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-10/seth-lloyd-particle-man

the whole article is interesting in general but that aside knocks u down , unless you resigned to your fate of being a borg.

could someone move this to science please THANKS

ConHog
11-20-2011, 12:57 PM
This is an article from poopular Science It's A Q&A with a computer scientist about Quatum Computing and he it reporter notes that the way Quantum computing works there's It would make the internet and specifically search faster more efficient AND completely Untraceable.
this is the tech break through I've mentioned several times. Instead of assuming there NO way to make the internet private figure out a way to do it. Well here it is in Embryo by accident no less.
So the scientist mentions he took his Concept to GOOGLE for Funding, here's the quote

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2011-10/seth-lloyd-particle-man

the whole article is interesting in general but that aside knocks u down , unless you resigned to your fate of being a borg.

could someone move this to science please THANKS

What is the point of this thread? To point out that Google's business plan is to sell advertising tailored to specific users and so anonymous surfing wouldn't jive with said business model?

Good job.

DragonStryk72
11-20-2011, 01:25 PM
What is the point of this thread? To point out that Google's business plan is to sell advertising tailored to specific users and so anonymous surfing wouldn't jive with said business model?

Good job.

That's the thing, though. It's patently unnecessary to make it so that no one can have privacy on the internet. They can make a safer way to surf, they just don't "feel" like it.

ConHog
11-20-2011, 01:28 PM
That's the thing, though. It's patently unnecessary to make it so that no one can have privacy on the internet. They can make a safer way to surf, they just don't "feel" like it.

They can provide their software to customers for free because they offer targeted advertising. That's their business model. You're more than able to use other software if you don't like that. Other software that makes their money in other ways and provides private surfing.

revelarts
11-20-2011, 04:47 PM
They can provide their software to customers for free because they offer targeted advertising. That's their business model. You're more than able to use other software if you don't like that. Other software that makes their money in other ways and provides private surfing.

There are ways to do that without spying. there's a thing called opting in. And Newspapers and TV were able to run a FAT biz without knowing anything while BROAD-casting. Google has a huge market share of eyeballs to their sites they won't die not being able to "target".

And trying to know Everything about a person, what do you call a person who does that, um a spy, a fan, a fanatic, a stalker. But it's Ok if they only want to profit off of you and occasionally inform the gov't on you -as they do in China.

jimnyc
11-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Yahoo and MSN search do the exact same thing, they're just not as popular as Google. I suggest to the people that don't trust Google - don't use their free services! If you're afraid, there are even programs that will block anything at all that ever comes from Google, even ads on other sites from Google.

ConHog
11-20-2011, 05:20 PM
There are ways to do that without spying. there's a thing called opting in. And Newspapers and TV were able to run a FAT biz without knowing anything while BROAD-casting. Google has a huge market share of eyeballs to their sites they won't die not being able to "target".

And trying to know Everything about a person, what do you call a person who does that, um a spy, a fan, a fanatic, a stalker. But it's Ok if they only want to profit off of you and occasionally inform the gov't on you -as they do in China.

No actually tv and newspapers do NOT do the same thing, not even close.

Google is set up so that you only see ads from companies that have products related to YOUR surfing habits. It's targeted. Newspaper and television advertising uses a shotgun approach, Google uses a sniper rifle. Not even close to the same thing.

revelarts
11-21-2011, 06:28 AM
At Home i use startpage.com exclusivly, they do not record your info and is filter for google searches. But I've noticed that somehow Google does track some of my surfing becuase as i go from site to site I see tracker type ads, Jim what are programs that will allow you to block that as well?

jimnyc
11-21-2011, 10:43 AM
At Home i use startpage.com exclusivly, they do not record your info and is filter for google searches. But I've noticed that somehow Google does track some of my surfing becuase as i go from site to site I see tracker type ads, Jim what are programs that will allow you to block that as well?

The software I was thinking of is only good for Firefox users, but I know for sure that other software exists for IE and other browsers, just haven't had enough coffee yet!

http://adblockplus.org/en/

Ad Block Plus is free and highly configurable. No more ads, no more images, no more javascript, no more flash.... Right click on ad of choice and never see it again.

BUT, I wanted to add, MORE than google spies on your surfing habits. Where do you think spam comes from that targets things you actually like? Sites you go to will place cookies on your machine and find ways to track your surfing habits. Then you get spam based on those habits. TONS AND TONS of sites do the same thing as google, they just do it much better and much more accurately. I've made a decent amount of money over the years partnering with them and allowing ads on all of my sites. The ads will display based on the text of the site, or in this case, based on each thread you open. Targeted advertising is actually an awesome business model for them. Hell, you even get ads when you check your "gmail" account based on the content of your email. They are fully open about this though. All of their services are free and this is how they make money.