PDA

View Full Version : Depleted Texas lakes expose ghost towns, graves

Shadow
11-20-2011, 07:08 PM
BLUFFTON, Texas (AP) — Johnny C. Parks died two days before his first birthday more than a century ago. His grave slipped from sight along with the rest of the tiny town of Bluffton when Lake Buchanan was filled 55 years later.
Now, the cracked marble tombstone engraved with the date Oct. 15, 1882, which is normally covered by 20 to 30 feet of water, has been eerily exposed as a yearlong drought shrinks one of Texas' largest lakes.
Across the state, receding lakes have revealed a prehistoric skull, ancient tools, fossils and a small cemetery that appears to contain the graves of freed slaves. Some of the discoveries have attracted interest from local historians, and looters also have scavenged for pieces of history. More than two dozen looters have been arrested at one site.
"In an odd way, this drought has provided an opportunity to view and document, where appropriate, some of these finds and understand what they consist of," said Pat Mercado-Allinger, the Texas Historical Commission's archeological division director. "Most people in Texas probably didn't realize what was under these lakes."

http://news.yahoo.com/depleted-texas-lakes-expose-ghost-towns-graves-182124788.html

Gunny
11-20-2011, 09:09 PM
BLUFFTON, Texas (AP) — Johnny C. Parks died two days before his first birthday more than a century ago. His grave slipped from sight along with the rest of the tiny town of Bluffton when Lake Buchanan was filled 55 years later.
Now, the cracked marble tombstone engraved with the date Oct. 15, 1882, which is normally covered by 20 to 30 feet of water, has been eerily exposed as a yearlong drought shrinks one of Texas' largest lakes.
Across the state, receding lakes have revealed a prehistoric skull, ancient tools, fossils and a small cemetery that appears to contain the graves of freed slaves. Some of the discoveries have attracted interest from local historians, and looters also have scavenged for pieces of history. More than two dozen looters have been arrested at one site.
"In an odd way, this drought has provided an opportunity to view and document, where appropriate, some of these finds and understand what they consist of," said Pat Mercado-Allinger, the Texas Historical Commission's archeological division director. "Most people in Texas probably didn't realize what was under these lakes."

http://news.yahoo.com/depleted-texas-lakes-expose-ghost-towns-graves-182124788.html

This isn't new. Nor is drought to Texas. I love the way these people nowadays act like they discovered something new that's older than I am. By the time the 10 Year Drought ended in 1969 there was nothing. Surprisingly, and much to the angst of the tree-huggers, it all came back.

Dilloduck
11-20-2011, 09:26 PM
and came back in the form of floods---then it all dried up again--then it flooded again.

Sucks to be in CO when I could be searching for fishing lures and dead injuns.

Gunny
11-20-2011, 09:37 PM
and came back in the form of floods---then it all dried up again--then it flooded again.

IIRC, it rained every f-ing day the summer of 69 when the damn finally broke.

Shadow
11-20-2011, 09:42 PM

And those elusive arrow heads no doubt :poke:

Abbey Marie
11-20-2011, 10:57 PM
Cool that graves were forgotten for so long, and now rediscovered.

Shadow
11-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Just the kind of thing that would attract my attention and make me want to go check it out. Old ruins of a church and hotel,Rock shelters, old Tomb Stones,artifacts etc...

Apparently other people think so too because it is being patroled now. Probably mainly to protect the indian artifacts,I know from talking to a friend of mine from the national parks...that there are alot of strict laws protecting them.

Gunny
11-24-2011, 05:56 AM
Just the kind of thing that would attract my attention and make me want to go check it out. Old ruins of a church and hotel,Rock shelters, old Tomb Stones,artifacts etc...

Apparently other people think so too because it is being patroled now. Probably mainly to protect the indian artifacts,I know from talking to a friend of mine from the national parks...that there are alot of strict laws protecting them.

Should check out those 57 Chevy's in the bottom of Medina Lake.:laugh:

Shadow
11-24-2011, 09:05 AM
Should check out those 57 Chevy's in the bottom of Medina Lake.:laugh:

I'm almost afraid to ask. LOL

Gunny
11-24-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm almost afraid to ask. LOL

Medina Lake is a lake created by damning the Medina River. It's a favorite place for swimmers during the summer in South Central Texas. During drought conditions, it recedes to almost a puddle. Last time that happened, a lot of "things" missing from San Antonio were discovered as the water receded. A few stolen cars being some of it.

Shadow
11-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Medina Lake is a lake created by damning the Medina River. It's a favorite place for swimmers during the summer in South Central Texas. During drought conditions, it recedes to almost a puddle. Last time that happened, a lot of "things" missing from San Antonio were discovered as the water receded. A few stolen cars being some of it.

Okay...old cars I can do. LOL

My grandfather used to own a block/septic tank plant behind his property (lots of land) almost up until he died. He used to have a small collection of really old beat up trucks from the 40's and 50's that didn't run anymore stored around on his land. Us kids used to play in/on them all the time growing up. I love old cars and trucks.

Gunny
11-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Okay...old cars I can do. LOL

My grandfather used to own a block/septic tank plant behind his property (lots of land) almost up until he died. He used to have a small collection of really old beat up trucks from the 40's and 50's that didn't run anymore stored around on his land. Us kids used to play in/on them all the time growing up. I love old cars and trucks.

I'm okay with old cars/trucks. They just don't run real well after spending a dime at the bottom of the lake.:laugh:

LuvRPgrl
03-25-2012, 12:17 PM

did they check for jimmy hotta and bd cooper?