PDA

View Full Version : Billy E. Hyatt Fired For Not Wearing '666': Lawsuit

Shadow
11-21-2011, 12:01 PM
What do you make of this story? Apparently this man expressed his concerns to his employer about not wanting to wear the number of the beast because it went against his religious beliefs. His employer told him his "beliefs" were ridiculous and to wear the button or face suspension....

ATLANTA — A Georgia factory worker claims in a federal lawsuit that he was fired after he refused to wear a `666' sticker he feared would doom him to eternal damnation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/21/billy-e-hyatt-666_n_1105116.html

This story also makes me think of some shady dealings I've had with my mother as a child. Like when she said...either come here and let me wash your hair in the sink or get a spanking...you tell her you prefer the spanking. So...she gives you one...then hawls your butt to the sink and washes your hair anyway.

Man chooses suspension over wearing the badge. Employer fires him after suspension is over. Wonder if this would fly in other controversial circumstances?

Abbey Marie
11-21-2011, 03:08 PM
Wouldn't that sticker be worn for one day only? The next day, if there were no accidents, the sticker should say "667", no?

Given that, I can't understand why an employer would make such an issue over a one-day sticker. Especially since it would in no way affect job performance.

Thunderknuckles
11-21-2011, 03:41 PM
I think the employer went way overboard. It's just a sticker, it's just one day, and 666 is well known to make even non-practicing Christians very uncomfortable. As a manager, I would not have bothered making even a slight issue over it.

jimnyc
11-21-2011, 04:31 PM
I think the employer went way overboard. It's just a sticker, it's just one day, and 666 is well known to make even non-practicing Christians very uncomfortable. As a manager, I would not have bothered making even a slight issue over it.

With that said, the employer is well within the law and can legally fire this person whether they wore this sticker or not. Unless of course he is in a CBA or has a bonafide contract representing differently.

In today's economy, it might be wise to wear a stupid sticker and keep getting a paycheck. His reasoning for not wearing it for one day is stupid. He stood on his principles, as did his employer, and now he knows he lost.

fj1200
11-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Would it have been wise to bake the cake?

Missileman
11-22-2011, 06:26 PM
The idiot could have called out sick for one day.

darin
11-22-2011, 07:21 PM
ugh. Mr. Hyatt acted FOOLISHLY. wow. Poor guy. He's a casualty of religion, IMO.

ConHog
11-22-2011, 07:24 PM
ugh. Mr. Hyatt acted FOOLISHLY. wow. Poor guy. He's a casualty of religion, IMO.

Too bad for him that the COTUS does NOT guarantee freedom of religeon from anyone other than the government. Liberals of course believe it does, but it does not.