PDA

View Full Version : Occupy L.A. receives offer to decamp

Monkeybone
11-22-2011, 11:08 AM
Wow... guess we do have something to learn from the Occupy people.

Los Angeles officials have offered Occupy L.A. protesters a package of incentives that includes downtown office space and farmland in an attempt to persuade them to abandon their camp outside of City Hall, according to several demonstrators who have been in negotiations with the city.

The details of the proposal were revealed Monday during the demonstration's nightly general assembly meeting by Jim Lafferty, an attorney with the National Lawyers Guild who has been advocating on behalf of the protest since it began seven weeks ago.

Lafferty said city officials have offered protesters a $1-a-year lease on a 10,000-square-foot office space near City Hall. He said officials also promised land elsewhere for protesters who wish to farm, as well as additional housing for the contingent of homeless people who joined the camp.
The last paragraph just... I don't know what to think. This just shows them that breaking the law and doing whatever the f*ck they want will get them what they want in the end. You give in like this and you will never see the end of it.

Gunny
11-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow... guess we do have something to learn from the Occupy people.

The last paragraph just... I don't know what to think. This just shows them that breaking the law and doing whatever the f*ck they want will get them what they want in the end. You give in like this and you will never see the end of it.

I'd offer them a spot in LA County jail.

Thunderknuckles
11-22-2011, 12:31 PM
That is way too sweet a deal. While I applaud L.A. for attempting to accommodate the people's right to peaceful assembly, practically giving land away for free, albeit temporarily, is not the way to encourage these folks to strike out on their own and earn a living.

Gunny
11-22-2011, 12:37 PM
That is way too sweet a deal. While I applaud L.A. for attempting to accommodate the people's right to peaceful assembly, practically giving land away for free, albeit temporarily, is not the way to encourage these folks to strike out on their own and earn a living.

Well, I'm damned sure not giving them a table in the plaza in Tijuana.:laugh:

PostmodernProphet
11-22-2011, 02:38 PM
at least they could provide their own fertilizer.....

ConHog
11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Well, I'm damned sure not giving them a table in the plaza in Tijuana.:laugh:

I'd give them a bunk and a foot locker at the military installation of their choice.

red states rule
11-23-2011, 04:14 AM
I'd offer them a spot in LA County jail.

and lots of fresh air on a chain gang picking up trash and wacking weeds