PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy - okay in my book

dan
05-16-2007, 10:55 AM
OK, Best Buy screws their employees, every chain store does that, that's just how it works. That's why 90% of the people working there are dumb and/or young.

However, yesterday, they did me right. So, I bought a Bjork CD yesterday. Yes, I like Bjork, shut up. She just put out a new one and I couldn't think of the name of it, except that it started with a V. So, I got the CD, got out to the car, and opened it before I realized it was a CD that came out in 2001, one that I had actually downloaded a year or two ago and didn't like.

So, I didn't think I'd be able to take it back since it was opened and all, but I gave it a shot. I gave them a fake story about how I had bought the CD for my girlfriend and she'd be pissed if I came home with the wrong CD, and they let me trade it out for the other CD. I was very happy and I will not have a bad word for Best Buy ever again.

Wal-Mart, on the other hand.... Well, that's a whole other story.

darin
05-16-2007, 10:57 AM
What i don't like about our local best-buy:

I went in and saw an item priced higher in-store than it is on bestbuy.com. Their sales associate had to get Store manager-approval to match the online price.

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 10:58 AM

I went in and saw an item priced higher in-store than it is on bestbuy.com. Their sales associate had to get Store manager-approval to match the online price.

I'm wanting to buy a 32'' flatscreen Westinghouse HDTV with built-in, slot-fed dvd player. I found one at Target for ~$660. Does Best Buy usually have better prices? Do they do payment plans?

Hobbit
05-16-2007, 11:13 AM
OK, Best Buy screws their employees, every chain store does that, that's just how it works. That's why 90% of the people working there are dumb and/or young.

However, yesterday, they did me right. So, I bought a Bjork CD yesterday. Yes, I like Bjork, shut up. She just put out a new one and I couldn't think of the name of it, except that it started with a V. So, I got the CD, got out to the car, and opened it before I realized it was a CD that came out in 2001, one that I had actually downloaded a year or two ago and didn't like.

So, I didn't think I'd be able to take it back since it was opened and all, but I gave it a shot. I gave them a fake story about how I had bought the CD for my girlfriend and she'd be pissed if I came home with the wrong CD, and they let me trade it out for the other CD. I was very happy and I will not have a bad word for Best Buy ever again.

I don't know what's wrong with your Wal-Mart, but the company supposedly has a 'no questions asked' return policy. When I was in college, my friends would sometimes go buy a cheap dvd player to watch a movie on, then return it the next day.

Monkeybone
05-16-2007, 11:20 AM
exchanging is ok, returning for money not so much

KitchenKitten99
05-16-2007, 12:10 PM
i had a real nice experience with them on a software title that I bought something like 6 months ago. I decided not to go ahead with what I was going to use it for, and it wasn't opened, so I tried to return it. The store wouldn't take it back without a receipt (which I did not have) and the phone number i used when i purchased it no longer existed and I don't remember what it was. I didn't want to try selling it on ebay, since the same title was going for about $30, and I paid over $100. So, they gave me a phone number to call to get a copy of a receipt using other resources. Well, they still couldn't locate it without the phone number. So, what they did was send me a $50 gift card, to at least help off-set the price of the software. They didn't have to do that, so I am satisfied with how it worked out.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm wanting to buy a 32'' flatscreen Westinghouse HDTV with built-in, slot-fed dvd player. I found one at Target for ~$660. Does Best Buy usually have better prices? Do they do payment plans?

They do have payment plans on their credit card, but masure they hav a no interest program going on or they rape you. Also being that I was the Car Audio Supervisor then moves over to Home Theater\Home Electronics to be their supervisor, I know a thing or two about tv's and audio equipement. Be careful with the Westinghouse tv, they have a high failure rate, plus anything with a built in dvd player or vcr had a pretty good failure rate. I would look on line at some of the outlet places like this one www.computergeeks.com they have everything from computers and laptops, computer parts and supplies, Video Games and Supplies, DVD players and TV's. I have used them since 2000 and never got a faulty product. Also global computer and Office Depot have great prices on LCD tv's. Dell Computers usually have good prices and low payment plans and Dell stands behind they're product. Again though my choice of places to get a tv would be Costco as you could take it back at anytime if your not happy with it, or it goes out. I took sometehing back a year after I got it, Ive known people who have done it 2, 3 years after you get it.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 12:48 PM
exchanging is ok, returning for money not so much

Your right about that one. An exchange doesn't really affect the numbers, but a return they took a hit on the daily numbers report. If you watch the next time you try and return something, especially a major item watch how they handle it. They will have one of the top sales associates come over and try to save the sale or get you into something else. I know because thats what I did before I moved up the ladder.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 12:50 PM

Your talking about a $12.00 Item, if it was a major item it would have been a different story, and I think if you tried to return it all together it would have been a different story.

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 12:57 PM
They do have payment plans on their credit card, but masure they hav a no interest program going on or they rape you. Also being that I was the Car Audio Supervisor then moves over to Home Theater\Home Electronics to be their supervisor, I know a thing or two about tv's and audio equipement. Be careful with the Westinghouse tv, they have a high failure rate, plus anything with a built in dvd player or vcr had a pretty good failure rate. I would look on line at some of the outlet places like this one www.computergeeks.com they have everything from computers and laptops, computer parts and supplies, Video Games and Supplies, DVD players and TV's. I have used them since 2000 and never got a faulty product. Also global computer and Office Depot have great prices on LCD tv's. Dell Computers usually have good prices and low payment plans and Dell stands behind they're product. Again though my choice of places to get a tv would be Costco as you could take it back at anytime if your not happy with it, or it goes out. I took sometehing back a year after I got it, Ive known people who have done it 2, 3 years after you get it.

Thanks for the site. It looks like they have really good deals. It looks like I'll have to just check it all the time to find their latest deals.

nevadamedic
05-16-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the site. It looks like they have really good deals. It looks I'll have to just check it all the time to find their latest deals.

Make sure to find out if the item is refurbished or not. Nothing wrong with refurbished items as long as they have the full warranty.
If you sign up for their mailing list they send you different green light specials, I got a dvd player in one for $9.99 and a 22 inch Lcd Monititor for $179. Also if you check their site once a day they do red light specials and things go really cheap, they have a deal right now for an XBox 360 with a few things for $299, I dont know if thats good or not. If you do it right you can make money off of them. I do computer consulting since I cant work due to my injury and Ive re-sold some of those items there and made some pretty good profits.

dan
05-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Your talking about a $12.00 Item, if it was a major item it would have been a different story, and I think if you tried to return it all together it would have been a different story.

The most expensive thing I ever bought from Best Buy was an $80 DVD.

dan
05-16-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't know what's wrong with your Wal-Mart, but the company supposedly has a 'no questions asked' return policy. When I was in college, my friends would sometimes go buy a cheap dvd player to watch a movie on, then return it the next day.

No, my story's not about returning stuff at Walmart at all, it's just about dealing with the people that work there and the shoppers. It's specific to my local store because there's a big local gypsy community, all of whom flock to Walmart so they can haggle over the price of bananas.

dan
05-16-2007, 01:42 PM
P.S. As far as their no questions asked policy, a big scam among some people I knew for a while was to simply take an item from the shelf, walk it back to customer service counter and return it for store credit. I'm not sure if they still give store credit or not, but it used to work without fail every time. They must train those people to avoid any and all conflict of any kind.

Hagbard Celine
05-16-2007, 01:44 PM
No, my story's not about returning stuff at Walmart at all, it's just about dealing with the people that work there and the shoppers. It's specific to my local store because there's a big local gypsy community, all of whom flock to Walmart so they can haggle over the price of bananas.

Where do you live? Do you call them Gypsies or Pikeys?

Mr. P
05-16-2007, 01:46 PM

I've heard this is a nation wide company practice and most of the time they won't give the lower price in store. Pretty slimy practice.

Abbey Marie
05-16-2007, 03:43 PM
We haven't had a bad experience with Best Buy. They fixed my daughter's iPod right away, with no trouble. And my Maytag washer has been fine for two years now, though I couldn't say if we got a good deal on it or not.

I will definitely check the on-line v. store prices from now on. Thanks for the tip!

KitchenKitten99
05-16-2007, 03:45 PM

know how you get around that? Use the 'pick it up at the store' option or have it delivered to the store, which usually means free shipping. I do this a lot with wal-mart and best buy. That's how I got a really great deal on my new digital camera. it was cheaper online by $15 than in the store, and there was the extra rebate that I could fill out online and then print it and mail it instead of filling out the one on the receipt that I got, so I saved even more $$.

The most we have spent there was $400 for our 400-disc dvd player.

dan
05-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Where do you live? Do you call them Gypsies or Pikeys?

North Augusta, South Carolina. Nah, we just call them gypsys, which apparently is considered a slur in England? Someone told me that once. Anyway, those people are weird, they have weddings where a forty-something man marries a twelve year old girl, under the pretense of not having sex until she's legal. It's part of their religion, so I guess that's why they can get away with it.

Also, they build huge houses, then live in a little trailer behind the house for a year, keeping all the windows in the house boarded up. Something to do with purging the house of all its demons.