PDA

View Full Version : Earlier Deals and Longer Hours Kick Off Black Friday Early

red states rule
11-25-2011, 04:22 AM
Anyone going out (or has been out) fighting the crowds and traffic for good buys today?

The American holiday shopping season began in earnest Friday as stores opened their doors at midnight -- a few hours earlier than they normally do on the most anticipated shopping day of the year. A few retailers even had lines of shoppers when they opened on the Thanksgiving harvest holiday on Thursday.

Herald Square in New York was bustling at 6 p.m. with shoppers looking to snag discounts at Old Navy and other stores that were open on the Thanksgiving. By 9:45 p.m., more than 300 people were waiting outside a Best Buy in New York before it opened at midnight. An hour later, nearly 2,000 were in line at another Best Buy in St. Petersburg, Florida, ahead of its midnight opening shopping more convenient for Americans who are more likely to be worried about high unemployment and the other challenges they face in the weak economy. Black Friday is important to merchants because it kicks off the holiday shopping season, a time when they can make 25 to 40 percent of their annual revenue. It's expected that shoppers will spend nearly $500 billion during the holiday shopping season, or about 3 percent more than they did last year.

"It's a good move to try to get shoppers to spend sooner, before they run out of money," says Burt Flickinger, III, president of retail consultancy Strategic Resource Group.

About 34 percent of consumers plan to shop on Black Friday, up from 31 percent last year, according to the International Council of Shopping Centers, and 16 percent had planned to shop on Thanksgiving Day (http://www.foxnews.com/topics/holidays/thanksgiving.htm#r_src=ramp) itself. For the weekend, 152 million people are expected shop, up from 138 million last year.

To get people to shop, merchants pulled out of their bag of tricks. Only a few opened last year at midnight, but several more stores followed this year. Some are offering to match the prices of competitors. Others are offering layaway plans that allow shoppers to pay as they go.

But the deals are what's driving many early shoppers into stores. After all, Americans are focusing more on bargains these days, a habit they picked up during the economic downturn.

The Gap is offering discounts of 60 percent, 40 percent and 20 percent discounts off many items. Old Navy has pea coats for $29 and jeans for $15. Toys R Us is selling a Transformers Ultimate Optimus Prime action figure for $30 off at $47.99 and a Power Wheels Barbie vehicle for $120 off for $199.99. And Best Buy has a $499 42-inch LCD HDTV for $199 and a $400 Asus Transformer 10-inch tablet computer for $249.99.

http://bl162w.blu162.mail.live.com/default.aspx#!/mail/InboxLight.aspx?n=417453453!fid=1&fav=1&n=1100423913&cv=1

Shadow
11-25-2011, 05:33 PM
I went to the post office at about 10:00am. Zero traffic on the streets and no line. I asked a man who was there getting stamps if he had been participating in Black Friday sales. He said he got up early at 7:00 am...and went,got in and out... fought no crowds and got what he went for. I don't really think as many people participated as usual this year. Seemed kinda dead on the roads to me...unless not many people had off work today. Still, on an average day the traffic usually sucks by that time in the morning.

I had a really good coupon for Bath and Body Works I was saving to buy stuff online with...but they had the same sales they usually have...I was disappointed. Maybe I will hit the mall and use it on sunday,that way I wont have to pay shipping. Other then that...there is nothing I'm interested in buying.

red states rule
11-25-2011, 05:39 PM
I went to the post office at about 10:00am. Zero traffic on the streets and no line. I asked a man who was there getting stamps if he had been participating in Black Friday sales. He said he got up early at 7:00 am...and went,got in and out... fought no crowds and got what he went for. I don't really think as many people participated as usual this year. Seemed kinda dead on the roads to me...unless not many people had off work today. Still, on an average day the traffic usually sucks by that time in the morning.

I had a really good coupon for Bath and Body Works I was saving to buy stuff online with...but they had the same sales they usually have...I was disappointed. Maybe I will hit the mall and use it on sunday,that way I wont have to pay shipping. Other then that...there is nothing I'm interested in buying.

I went to work today and the roads were great going and coming back

Normally it is a mess on a Friday night but I was able to get home with no issues. It was great

LuvRPgrl
11-25-2011, 06:09 PM
I went to work today and the roads were great going and coming back

Normally it is a mess on a Friday night but I was able to get home with no issues. It was great
I spent hours driving from san diego, ca to pittsburg, ca. usually 4-5 hour drive. traffic was literally insane, worst I have ever, ever seen it.

DragonStryk72
11-26-2011, 03:35 AM
I got a buddy who works for Best Buy, and he said there was really no reason for the midnight opening. It petered off pretty quickly, cause people actually do that whole sleeping thing. I think the move was that one step too far for most consumers. Like we understood opening a bit early on Black Friday, but then they just took it too far.

red states rule
11-26-2011, 03:46 AM
I got a buddy who works for Best Buy, and he said there was really no reason for the midnight opening. It petered off pretty quickly, cause people actually do that whole sleeping thing. I think the move was that one step too far for most consumers. Like we understood opening a bit early on Black Friday, but then they just took it too far.

If the store did not make money off the early opening then they won't do it again next year. The Obama economy has aot of pressure on stores to make those sales, and to make the numbers they need to make

Alot of jobs are on the line right now, and those stores that fail to hit their numbers may be laying off workers come January