PDA

View Full Version : Fresh cut Christmas Tree

Jeff
12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Well the wife and I decided to go cut our own tree this year , We are heading up towards Helen GA this weekend and cut one down or get one we can plant after the Holidays, I haven't had a real tree in years , I dont think I have had one since I was a little boy but I do know I love the smell of them and I think my little guys will get a kick out of it

Not having one for every I am not real sure the best way to care for it , does anyone know the best way to keep them fresh ? I know plenty of water but have heard of other things people do to keep them fresh , any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Jeff

Abbey Marie
12-02-2011, 06:29 PM
I just heard an "expert" say to use warm water, as the tree will absorb warm water better.

Shadow
12-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Let it sit in a bucket of water for a good 6-8 hours before putting it in it's tree stand. If you buy a pre cut...cut an extra inch or two off the bottom first. That way it will be saturated with moisture before decorating.

fj1200
12-02-2011, 06:47 PM
Well the wife and I decided to go cut our own tree this year , We are heading up towards Helen GA this weekend and cut one down or get one we can plant after the Holidays, I haven't had a real tree in years , I dont think I have had one since I was a little boy but I do know I love the smell of them and I think my little guys will get a kick out of it

Not having one for every I am not real sure the best way to care for it , does anyone know the best way to keep them fresh ? I know plenty of water but have heard of other things people do to keep them fresh , any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Does Home Depot count as fresh cut? :)

Let it sit in a bucket of water for a good 6-8 hours before putting it in it's tree stand. If you buy a pre cut...cut an extra inch or two off the bottom first. That way it will be be saturated with moisture before decorating.

And yes, cut off an inch or so if you wait awhile before putting in the stand... or get from HD or another pre-cut place. As far as water it seems like I put water in the stand every year and frequently forget to add more water; I never see any detrimental effects to my neglect.

Mr. P
12-02-2011, 06:50 PM
Cutting a tree with the family is a great tradition! Guaranteed to produce many memories. We did it for yrs. As far as care, I found that all that is really needed is lots of water, especially the first night. That bugger with suck up one gallon overnight easily in the first few hours. If you don't get it in the stand fairly soon make a fresh cut off the trunk of about 1 inch at the base as the sap will form at the first cut and restrict water uptake.

The only downside is the cleanup. Even a fresh cut tree has dead needles but most can be shaken out if you get it at an established farm that has a shaker.. Keep it watered it'll last at least 3 weeks without drying out much.

Merry Christmas!

Kathianne
12-03-2011, 01:41 AM

Jeff

I'm really jealous! First that you have kids at home and that you're getting a real tree. I think I'm skipping the tree this year, I'm afraid I may be out of the house before then.

However, I'm going to try and get some gifts for my kids this year, might be the last I can.

jon_forward
12-03-2011, 02:29 AM
We are. Also getting. A real tree this yr. 1st. One in about 20 years. Hope to have it all decorated Tomorrow nite.xmas will be slim here so a real tree brings. Back memorys of yesteryear when fellowship. And family. Mattered more than who got what. This is also the First xmas I have had With my son son. In 11 yrs. He is 23 on the 15th. May all of you(friend or foe) have a very merry Christmas.

Kathianne
12-03-2011, 02:34 AM
We are. Also getting. A real tree this yr. 1st. One in about 20 years. Hope to have it all decorated Tomorrow nite.xmas will be slim here so a real tree brings. Back memorys of yesteryear when fellowship. And family. Mattered more than who got what. This is also the First xmas I have had With my son son. In 11 yrs. He is 23 on the 15th. May all of you(friend or foe) have a very merry Christmas.

I don't claim to understand this post, but it sounds rep worthy. ;)

Jeff
12-11-2011, 03:39 AM
Thank you for the replies

Mr. P . I think we started a new tradition here, just as you said it was picture perfect, we went up to a tree farm in Blairesville and went threw Helen to get there , they had hey rides, a train ride, mazes for the kids, the ride was breath taking ( heading back up on the bike as soon as it warms a bit ) it was just absolutely fantastic . Kat I have two young ones at the house and a bit older pain in the rump also( 17) you know the ones that want just one or two things like a pick up, LOL, so I have three looking for stuff under the tree , and I also just became a Grand father , my oldest Boy and his fiancee had a Little boy ( Chase ) so the real tree and Christmas itself this year ought to be a great time

Chase was born Oct. 17 but due to family issues I have not met him yet but my boy realized I wouldn't go against my values and he caved in and I am going to meet my Grandson Tomorrow ( might be why I cant sleep tonight :laugh: ) I am very excited and certainly proud, Pictures will be posted very soon , man getting old stinks but it also has it rewards

Mr.P. I am sure you know the area but if ya haven't been up that way go up threw Helen and hit the GPS looking for Blairesville and it will route you the quickest way which wound up being a old tourist highway not traveled much but the mountains and views where beautiful , when ya come back down come threw Clarkesville there is a little country restaurant with the fire place burning that was fantastic I will get the name for you but it was a beautiful ending to a beautiful day and that meal capped it off nicely

Again Thank you for all the replies and I pray yall have a wonderful Christmas this year

Jeff

Kathianne
12-11-2011, 08:21 AM
Jeff, the tree I was jealous of, the grandson? Over the top, green with envy! Enjoy, wee ones are what Christmas, eh life, is about!