PDA

View Full Version : Would you trust "House"?

KitchenKitten99
05-16-2007, 05:27 PM
This discussion came up on another board that I frequent. There was a topic discussing some sort of strange medical condition of one of the members, then it evolved into talking about Scrubs vs. House MD... then evolved into discussing the character 'House' and his dependence on vicodin and whether or not someone in that condition should practice medicine or if people would trust him, based on his appearance to be 'on something', whether it be drugs or alcohol. If I didn't know House was on vicodin all the time, I would say he looks more like an alcoholic or cocaine user.

I don't care how much of a medical genius someone is, if they have issues with prescription drugs (regardless of what they are for) that are known for judgement imparement, they need to sort those out before caring for me or my family, especially my kids.

So, barring the fact that "House" is a fictional character in the setting that has been created, not real life, would you trust someone like him to care for you or your family?

Hobbit
05-16-2007, 10:01 PM
If they had his success rate, then yes. I'm a results kind of guy.

KitchenKitten99
05-16-2007, 10:04 PM
If they had his success rate, then yes. I'm a results kind of guy.

But in a real-life situation, do you think someone with this kind of problem would actually have that success rate?

lily
05-16-2007, 11:12 PM
But in a real-life situation, do you think someone with this kind of problem would actually have that success rate?

I would think that after taking any medication for a some time that you "adjust" and can function quite well.

Abbey Marie
05-17-2007, 12:02 AM
If I had a confounding medical problem, I'd be thrilled to have someone with his diagnostic talent. I'd even pay for his scrip if it meant he'd be able to work.

Trigg
05-17-2007, 06:33 AM
I only watch the show occationally, but the ones I have seen show him just lucking into the diagnosis. After he has done every imaginable test on the planet.

Love the parts where the younger docs do all the testing themselves and can see right away that there isn't any problem. Labs.....MRI.....the needle in the eye episode. I hope people don't really think that happens, MRI's, CT's and ultrasounds make no sense what so ever unless your a tech who looks at them all the time or a Radiologist.

shattered
05-17-2007, 08:21 AM

Sure.. You can adjust to anything you want make yourself adjust to. If you sit there feeling sorry for yourself, and whatever problems you have, you're just going to pull yourself down. If you refuse to be limited by problems, you can do anything you set your mind to.