PDA

View Full Version : Taking obese child from mom is wrong

Shadow
12-04-2011, 11:33 AM
San Diego (CNN) -- Is child obesity a form of child neglect?
Of course not. That's ridiculous. But, it seems, the ridiculous is now standard operating procedure in the upside down world of the Department of Children and Family Services of Cuyahoga County in Ohio. In a case making headlines around the country, the agency recently decided (http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/11/obese_cleveland_heights_child.html)that a Cleveland third grader should be taken from his mother and placed in foster care.
Was this an instance of child abuse? Apparently not. Was it an urgent situation that required this local government entity to immediately intervene and take the drastic step of separating a family? It doesn't seem so.
In fact, county public defender Sam Amata told reporters that his office would challenge the removal because the boy was not in imminent danger.
Here's the alleged abuse: The 8-year-old boy weighed more than 200 pounds, and officials essentially claimed that his mother was to blame for not doing enough to help her son lose weight. So they went into the home and took the child away. Just like that.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/02/opinion/navarrette-obese-child/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

Noir
12-04-2011, 11:45 AM
Its a tricky one imo, i mean, as a parent you are responsible for looking after your child, and when an 8 year old is one and a half times my weight, there's clearly something going wrong.

*If* the mother has kept a food dairy or something like that to show she isn't stuff fattys face then fair enough, but if she's not helping then i'd say she's neglecting.

Noir
12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
and couldn't let a thread like this pass without Tim Minchens song, Fat Children....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/u_ElXYzFX_w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

krisy
12-04-2011, 11:47 AM
This burns me .Taking this kid out of a loving home and putting him into foster care is what will screw him up!!! A lot of foster homes are really bad places with bad people! The mother should be hooked up with a dietician to guide her and the boy in the right direction.

I cannot stand these holier than thou a holes from childrens services!!!

Kathianne
12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree that the removal of the child was the wrong course of action. However an 8 or 9 year old child, weighing over 200 lbs is morbidly obese and is in immediate need at that point of losing a significant amount of weight.

This has been discussed elsewhere for quite awhile now, the progressives seem to think that the state had every right to put the child in a 'safe environment.' Others, including myself wonder why the mother hadn't received more help from social services including a nutritionist and therapy for her and the son. Something is seriously out of whack. I've not seen any reports that the child suffers from some underlying cause of the weight, even genetic predisposition. The presumption of the state finding 'a safe environment' is laughable, (if not so sad), considering how many children are abused in the state services system.

If with qualified support and the mother continues to say that it's too difficult to have him eat correct, she might face legal problems regarding abuse. No doubt in an extreme case like this, the court might well order meals delivered for the child, with an order that the mother undermining the program will face consequences.

Shadow
12-04-2011, 03:53 PM
This burns me .Taking this kid out of a loving home and putting him into foster care is what will screw him up!!! A lot of foster homes are really bad places with bad people! The mother should be hooked up with a dietician to guide her and the boy in the right direction.

I cannot stand these holier than thou a holes from childrens services!!!

I agree... it might not just be a case of the mother not feeding him healthy foods or making those choices available to him. Could actually be he has some sort of eating disorder that could be linked to other things going on in his life, like worrying about school,peer pressure or similar related depression. I doubt if he has some sort of emotional problem,taking him away from his family and throwing him into another stressful and emotionally charged situation will help much...could make it worse.

cadet
12-04-2011, 04:25 PM
I agree... it might not just be a case of the mother not feeding him healthy foods or making those choices available to him. Could actually be he has some sort of eating disorder that could be linked to other things going on in his life, like worrying about school,peer pressure or similar related depression. I doubt if he has some sort of emotional problem,taking him away from his family and throwing him into another stressful and emotionally charged situation will help much...could make it worse.

I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a eating disorder could cause the kid to be 200 POUNDS!!!!

Now, it might sound kind of mean, but my morals say this kids mom is definitely screwing up, and this little kid needs some sort of good parenting. Now, should it have been the states decision, no. But it definitely should have been taken care of by family members.

And yes, i think this kid was in immediate danger of having a heart failure or something like that, he was surly being neglected.

If his mother truly cares about her son, she should have realized that most kids get made fun of for being overweight, and should have been doing everything in her power to keep him healthy.

Also, for the record, my little brother is quite big (mostly his height) for an 8 year old, and he's only about 60 pounds.

Abbey Marie
12-04-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm surprised more of us aren't upset by this governmental intrusion; particularly our libertarian-leaning folks. What's next- removal for not giving your kids low-fat and low-sugar? For dressing them unfashionably?

Shadow
12-04-2011, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry, but I find it extremely hard to believe that a eating disorder could cause the kid to be 200 POUNDS!!!!

Now, it might sound kind of mean, but my morals say this kids mom is definitely screwing up, and this little kid needs some sort of good parenting. Now, should it have been the states decision, no. But it definitely should have been taken care of by family members.

And yes, i think this kid was in immediate danger of having a heart failure or something like that, he was surly being neglected.

If his mother truly cares about her son, she should have realized that most kids get made fun of for being overweight, and should have been doing everything in her power to keep him healthy.

Also, for the record, my little brother is quite big (mostly his height) for an 8 year old, and he's only about 60 pounds.

I agree that there could be a lot of factors involved not just eating disorders, like working parents...not being around when the kids gets home from school to monitor after school snacking, and not being able to get outside and run it off for the same reason (no supervision). Some studies do say though that some children have a hard time dealing with stress and depression and use food as a tool for comfort (just like adults do)...as well as when they feel bored,anxious or even angry. Something that they later need to learn how to curb because it is an emotionally driven reaction. The mother even stated that the road to getting him healthy was a "life change". Her and her son probably need help...sure...but I doubt taking him away from the home will do the trick.

cadet
12-04-2011, 04:55 PM
I agree that there could be a lot of factors involved not just eating disorders, like working parents...not being around when the kids gets home from school to monitor after school snacking, and not being able to get outside and run it off for the same reason (no supervision). Some studies do say though that some children have a hard time dealing with stress and depression and use food as a tool for comfort (just like adults do)...as well as when they feel bored,anxious or even angry. Something that they later need to learn how to curb because it is an emotionally driven reaction. The mother even stated that the road to getting him healthy was a "life change". Her and her son probably need help...sure...but I doubt taking him away from the home will do the trick.

The fact that she even let it get that bad is terrible. How in the world do you not start keeping an eye on your kid after 100 pounds? he's eight! put the food out of his reach!!!

She's obviously unfit as a parent, and some relative needs to take care of this kid.

Kathianne
12-04-2011, 05:03 PM
I'm surprised more of us aren't upset by this governmental intrusion; particularly our libertarian-leaning folks. What's next- removal for not giving your kids low-fat and low-sugar? For dressing them unfashionably?

I agreed with the the wrongness of taking the boy out of the home. I also disagreed that at 200 lbs he wasn't in imminent danger to his health, he certainly is. That would be like a grown man of perhaps 450 lbs. The mother said, 'It's hard to keep him from eating.' Who buys the food? Who prepares the meals? Not an 8 year old.

I don't know how the state got involved, though I'd guess through Dr or teacher-mandated reporters. It does seem there was some type of earlier intervention, which is where the mom's whine came from. It's obvious that both her and the child need counseling and some sort of strict diet for the child. If she can't or won't care for this, then perhaps another family member can, certainly not the state. If nutrition education is the mom's problem, get someone to teach her. If money/food is the problem, get WIC or SNAP on it. If parenting is the problem get the county psychologist involved.

Kathianne
12-04-2011, 05:07 PM

I agree with all of your points. If he's home alone and eating because of parents working, he needs to get into some sort of after school program, preferably one with exercise involved-at this point, just walking.

I can't see him not depressed, he's nearly 3 times or more the average 8 year old's size.

The house has to be cleared of all junk food and if he spends his own money on it, he shouldn't have money. I normally believe people should have control over such issues, but in this case the state does have an interest in the child's well being. Mom should either comply voluntarily or social services should check periodically.

Shadow
12-04-2011, 05:09 PM
Just by observing the kids on campus when I sometimes pick mine up after school...I have noticed that kids in general are a lot heavier then they were when I was in school. Probably eat a lot more fast food for one thing...inside activities instead of out etc. But one thing that also always has stuck out in my mind is how almost no one lets their kids walk to and from school anymore. Being driven back and forth everyday was totally unheard of when I was a kid. Walking could be a good source of needed excercise.

cadet
12-04-2011, 05:12 PM
yeah, but then you'd have all the parents that overreact and worry too much. start claiming that the school should walk with them or something to keep an eye on them.

Kathianne
12-04-2011, 05:15 PM
Just by observing the kids on campus when I sometimes pick mine up after school...I have noticed that kids in general are a lot heavier then they were when I was in school. Probably eat a lot more fast food for one thing...inside activities instead of out etc. But one thing that also always has stuck out in my mind is how almost no one lets their kids walk to and from school anymore. Being driven back and forth everyday was totally unheard of when I was a kid. Walking could be a good source of needed excercise.

I don't know if it's the area I live and teach in, but I've not observed all these 'heavy' kids the media goes on about. Most days I have anywhere from 28-125 kids in my rooms, see many more than that in hallways, cafe, etc. In a given group of 30 kids, 11-18 there would be 2 that were obese. Probably another 3 that could afford to lose 5-10 lbs. With that said, those 3 are usually very active in sports. I see many more kids that I worry about anorexia, than over eating, especially in first two years of high school.

Those numbers pretty much are the same as when I was in school, some 30+ years ago.

In my 13 years in preschool-8th grade I saw few kids in lower grades that were 'Big' as we used to call it. None that would come within 120 lbs of this kids weight.

Nukeman
12-04-2011, 05:33 PM
I don't know if it's the area I live and teach in, but I've not observed all these 'heavy' kids the media goes on about. Most days I have anywhere from 28-125 kids in my rooms, see many more than that in hallways, cafe, etc. In a given group of 30 kids, 11-18 there would be 2 that were obese. Probably another 3 that could afford to lose 5-10 lbs. With that said, those 3 are usually very active in sports. I see many more kids that I worry about anorexia, than over eating, especially in first two years of high school.

Those numbers pretty much are the same as when I was in school, some 30+ years ago.

In my 13 years in preschool-8th grade I saw few kids in lower grades that were 'Big' as we used to call it. None that would come within 120 lbs of this kids weight.I have to agree with you Kath. The schools my kids attend are the same, My youngest who is 9 and is in the 4th grade is a whopping 65 lbs and sorta tall for his age, you would think he would be one of the "skinny" kids in his class but he is actually the norm, My 14 year old 8th grader only has about 3 kids in his whole class of 300 that would be considered obese. Of course there are some that can lose a few lbs but not he extreme of this child. I mean come on people this kid is 200lbs and is 8 years old this child is HUGE by any standards of measurement...
http://www.halls.md/chart/boys-weight-w.htm

Here is a link with a chart for PROPER weights for children you will note that the TOP of the chart has a 8 year old weighing at 80lbs NOT 200!!!!!

This is neglect on the part of the parents plain and simple.... No one accidentally puts on 120 extra lbs..

ConHog
12-05-2011, 02:08 PM
San Diego (CNN) -- Is child obesity a form of child neglect?
Of course not. That's ridiculous. But, it seems, the ridiculous is now standard operating procedure in the upside down world of the Department of Children and Family Services of Cuyahoga County in Ohio. In a case making headlines around the country, the agency recently decided (http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/11/obese_cleveland_heights_child.html)that a Cleveland third grader should be taken from his mother and placed in foster care.
Was this an instance of child abuse? Apparently not. Was it an urgent situation that required this local government entity to immediately intervene and take the drastic step of separating a family? It doesn't seem so.
In fact, county public defender Sam Amata told reporters that his office would challenge the removal because the boy was not in imminent danger.
Here's the alleged abuse: The 8-year-old boy weighed more than 200 pounds, and officials essentially claimed that his mother was to blame for not doing enough to help her son lose weight. So they went into the home and took the child away. Just like that.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/02/opinion/navarrette-obese-child/index.html?hpt=hp_bn9

He's 8 and weighs over 200 lbs? That's child abuse for letting that happen.

MtnBiker
12-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Does these mean we can send Michael Moore to Mother Russia?

revelarts
12-05-2011, 02:38 PM
Don't give them any ideas...

this incident is crazy state crap.
and I'll leave it at that.

Abbey Marie
12-05-2011, 04:52 PM

Sometimes I'm glad that I'm not just getting started in my life and career. But I do wonder how it is going to be for our 20 year old daughter.

ConHog
12-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Who here really believes that upon the first report of this child being obese the state ran in and took him from his mom? I mean come on. Family court almost always defaults to keeping families intact unless their is repeated problems. There is NOWAY this was the first time child services visited that household. I'll guarantee that.

Abbey Marie
12-05-2011, 05:04 PM
Who here really believes that upon the first report of this child being obese the state ran in and took him from his mom? I mean come on. Family court almost always defaults to keeping families intact unless their is repeated problems. There is NOWAY this was the first time child services visited that household. I'll guarantee that.

From the article, it sounds like it was pretty much that simple:

The boy reportedly caught the attention of the agency when his mother took him to the hospital last year because he was having trouble breathing.

Trigg
12-05-2011, 05:06 PM
If this child was being physicaly abused everyone here would agree with the state stepping in.

This is an 8 year old child who should weigh under 100 pounds at the most. This poor child is at risk of childhood diabetes, congestive heart failure, kidney disease and a host of other emotional and health related problems. The child needs help and if his parents are unable or unwilling to do it someone needs to step in.

Nukeman
12-06-2011, 08:33 AM
From the article, it sounds like it was pretty much that simple:In your portion of the article where it states that he was taken to the hospital LAST YEAR FOR BREATHING DIFFICULTIES. that was a full year ago and I am sure a number of attempts were made to intervene, you and I do not know the ins-and-outs of this case but rarely does a state agency act "quickly" in any case..

It is the RESPONSIBILITY of all hopital staff to report any known or suspect abuse to the state, it is LAW that we must do this, if not we are held neglegent and can be prosecuted for not doing so. Now a 200lb 8 year old is ABUSE by the parents plain and simple... Are you and others suggesting that this is NOT a form of abuse, lets go the other extreme if the child was say 20lbs at 8 years old is that abuse?? If the child has bruises or bone breaks is that abuse?? for some reason I can not understand, some on here don't see this as neglect and abuse of a child.....

ConHog
12-06-2011, 09:16 AM
In your portion of the article where it states that he was taken to the hospital LAST YEAR FOR BREATHING DIFFICULTIES. that was a full year ago and I am sure a number of attempts were made to intervene, you and I do not know the ins-and-outs of this case but rarely does a state agency act "quickly" in any case..

It is the RESPONSIBILITY of all hopital staff to report any known or suspect abuse to the state, it is LAW that we must do this, if not we are held neglegent and can be prosecuted for not doing so. Now a 200lb 8 year old is ABUSE by the parents plain and simple... Are you and others suggesting that this is NOT a form of abuse, lets go the other extreme if the child was say 20lbs at 8 years old is that abuse?? If the child has bruises or bone breaks is that abuse?? for some reason I can not understand, some on here don't see this as neglect and abuse of a child.....

Yep, we had a teacher last year almost go to jail because she suspected a child was starving herself and the parents knew about it. Turns out the girl has extreme emotional problems caused by some things the parents were doing. The state considered that abuse and said the teacher should have reported based on some things she saw and that the child told her. Now thankfully common sense prevailed and the teacher wasn't jailed. The school however was warned by the court that we needed to do a better job of making sure our teachers knew what needed to be reported to whom, and we have.

Back to THIS case, there is simply noway this was the first time this family has encountered child services. It just doesn't work that way.

Abbey Marie
12-06-2011, 09:22 AM
In your portion of the article where it states that he was taken to the hospital LAST YEAR FOR BREATHING DIFFICULTIES. that was a full year ago and I am sure a number of attempts were made to intervene, you and I do not know the ins-and-outs of this case but rarely does a state agency act "quickly" in any case..

There is a huge difference between starving a person and over-feeding them (no pun intended). For you to suggest they are equally harmful is silly. Poor parenting? Yup. Need for some kind of education/intervention? Probably. Taking the kid away for his mom for ABUSE? Nope.

Just wait until the "State" starts taking kids away for reasons YOU don't happen to agree with.

PS The preceding reply was brought to you in some CAPS to show how right I am! ;)

fj1200
12-06-2011, 09:25 AM

Are they on state assistance?

ConHog
12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
There is a huge difference between starving a person and over-feeding them (no pun intended). For you to suggest they are equally harmful is silly. Poor parenting? Yup. Need for some kind of education/intervention? Probably. Taking the kid away for his mom for ABUSE? Nope.

Just wait until the "State" starts taking kids away for reasons YOU don't happen to agree with.

PS The preceding reply was brought to you in some CAPS to show how right I am! ;)

Your basing your assumptions on this being the first time child services has gotten involved, and IF that were the case I would absolutely agree with you Abbey. Noway should taking the child away be the first reaction. But I'm looking at things as they are more likely to have happened. This kid didn't just balloon up to 200 lbs over night. I'd say child services has been involved for quite some time. In fact, I'm sure of it because it appears that the kid has been taken away by court order, not by some child services employee who is taking them out of the house immediately in an emergency situation. I don't know of ANY family court that sees a case sooner than 6 months from the time it is first opened. That makes this in my opinion repeated abuse and neglect and thus taking the child doesn't seem near as extreme.

darin
12-06-2011, 09:34 AM
Wait for it - should I use 'weight' for it? :)

Eventually - kids will be removed from families of KKK members because "hate speech" will be a 'form of neglect or abuse'. Then, kids will be removed from Christian families because "lack of teaching acceptance of standards" is 'hate speech', or 'neglect'.

Eventually, the state will be the only sanctioning body for how to raise a child. Pathetic.

If this kid is 200lbs, it sucks for the kid - but that's his lot in life. Blame the parent.

Abbey Marie
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Your basing your assumptions on this being the first time child services has gotten involved, and IF that were the case I would absolutely agree with you Abbey. Noway should taking the child away be the first reaction. But I'm looking at things as they are more likely to have happened. This kid didn't just balloon up to 200 lbs over night. I'd say child services has been involved for quite some time. In fact, I'm sure of it because it appears that the kid has been taken away by court order, not by some child services employee who is taking them out of the house immediately in an emergency situation. I don't know of ANY family court that sees a case sooner than 6 months from the time it is first opened. That makes this in my opinion repeated abuse and neglect and thus taking the child doesn't seem near as extreme.

I agree that we don't know enough of the facts, but one thing is certain: The article says they were made aware of this situation a year before he was taken away. No doubt someone at the hospital informed child services. That tells me that it is logical to conclude that they were not involved prior to that, and the whole case is probably based on his weight at that time.

Since this started with the hospital visit, I wouldn't call it ongoing for "quite some time", nor can I assume that there are other issues involved besides his weight. Unless and until more facts emerge to show that this mom was negligent or harmful in other ways, I remain of the belief that this wasn't handled correctly. Lord, I've seen shows where they've let crack whore mothers keep their babies if they want them.

fj1200
12-06-2011, 09:43 AM
Your basing your assumptions on this being the first time child services has gotten involved, and IF that were the case I would absolutely agree with you Abbey.

The kids been on the radar for almost two years.

County workers were alerted to the child's weight in early 2010 after his mother took him to a hospital for breathing problems. He was diagnosed with sleep apnea, which can be weight-related, and was given the breathing machine. Social workers began to monitor him under what the county calls protective supervision.
Last year, the boy lost weight but in recent months began to gain it back rapidly. That's when the county moved to take the child, records show.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/11/obese_cleveland_heights_child.html

ConHog
12-06-2011, 10:00 AM

Exactly as I suspected. This wasn't the state's initial response at all.

Abbey Marie
12-06-2011, 10:14 AM

The other article said 1 year. But no matter, this just confirms that it was all about the weight as I suspected. There seem to be no other parenting issues to put this kid on the radar, which is what was implied by Con.

fj1200
12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Weight = neglect = parenting. :confused:

Nukeman
12-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Really, your going to tell me a 200lbs 8 year old is healthy and not in any form of danger, or it isn't along the same stretch of road as malnurished!! Bull they are both EQUALLY dangerous.. for you to state otherwise is wrong.. AS for this just coming to light I believe it was pointed out that the child has been in the system and "observed" for almost 2 years so this isn't just a yanking out. this child is at risk for sudden death and a number of other medical difficulties including the following..

Health Effects of Morbid Obesity
Severe obesity damages the body by its mechanical, metabolic and physiological adverse effects on normal bodily function. These "co-morbidities" affect nearly every organ in the body in some way, and produce serious secondary illnesses, which may also be life-threatening. The cumulative effect of these co-morbidities can interfere with a normal and productive life, cause endless frustration and can seriously shorten life, as well.
Shortened Life Span
Dysmetabolic Syndrome X
This recently recognized syndrome, involving abdominal obesity, abnormal blood fat levels, changes in insulin sensitivity, and inflammation of the arteries, is assciated with a markedly increased risk of heart and blood vessel disease. It is also a precursor to the onset of Diabetes in adults.
Heart Disease
Severely obese persons are approximately 6 times as likely to develop heart disease as those who are normal-weighted. Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the United States today, and obese persons tend to develop it earlier in life, and it shortens their lives. Coronary disease is pre-disposed by increased levels of blood fats, and the metabolic effects of obesity. Increased load on the heart leads to early development of congestive heart failure. Severely obese persons are 40 times as likely to suffer sudden death, in many cases due to cardiac rhythm disturbances.
High Blood Pressure
Essential hypertension, the progressive elevation of blood pressure, is much more common in obese persons, and leads to development of heart disease, and damage to the blood vessels throughout the body, causing susceptibility to strokes, kidney damage, and hardening of the arteries. If your doctor finds you have high blood pressure, the first thing he or she will recommend to you is weight loss (but doctors have never been able to tell us how).
High Blood Cholesterol
Cholesterol levels are commonly elevated in the severely obese -- another factor predisposing to development of heart and blood vessel disease. This abnormality is not just related to diet, but is an effect of the massive imbalance in body chemistry which obesity causes.
Diabetes Mellitus
Overweight persons are 40 times as likely to develop Type II, Adult-Onset, Diabetes. Elevation of the blood sugar, the essential feature of Diabetes, leads to damage to tissues throughout the body: Diabetes is the leading cause of adult-onset blindness, a major cause of kidney failure, and the cause of over one half of all amputations. It is the #4 cause of death in the United States. Diabetics suffer severely from their disease, and once Diabetes occurs, it becomes even much harder to lose weight, because of hormone changes which cause the body to store fat even more than before.
Sleep Apnea Syndrome
Sleep apnea -- the stoppage of breathing during sleep -- is commonly caused in the obese, by compression of the neck, closing the air passage to the lungs. It leads to loud snoring, interspersed with periods of complete obstruction, during which no air gets in at all. The sleeping person sounds to an observer like he is holding his breath, but the sleeper is, himself, usually unaware that the problem is occurring at all, or only notices that he sleeps poorly, and awakens repeatedly during the night. The health effects of this condition may be severe, high blood pressure, cardiac rhythm disturbances, and sudden death. Affected persons awaken exhausted and often fall asleep during the day -- sometimes even at the wheel of their car, and complain of being tired all the time. This condition really has a high mortality rate, and is a life-threatening problem.
Obesity Hypoventilation Syndrome
This condition occurs primarily in the very severely obese -- over 350 lbs. It is characterized by episodes of drowsiness, or narcosis, occurring during awake hours, and is caused by abnormalities of breathing and accumulation of toxic levels of carbon dioxide in the blood. It is often associated with sleep apnea, and may be hard to distinguish from it.
Respiratory Insufficiency
Obese persons find that exercise causes them to be out of breath very quickly, during ordinary activities. The lungs are decreased in size, and the chest wall is very heavy and difficult to lift. At the same time, the demand for oxygen is greater, with any physical activity. This condition prevents normal physical activities and exercise, often interferes with usual daily activities, such as shopping, yard-work or stair climbing, making even ordinary living difficult or miserable, and it can become completely disabling.
Heartburn - Reflux Disease and Reflux Nocturnal Aspiration
Acid belongs in the stomach, which makes it to help digest your food, and it seldom causes any problem when it stays there. When it escapes into the esophagus, through a weak or overloaded valve at the top of the stomach, the result is called "heartburn", or "acid indigestion". The real problem is not with digestion, but with the burning of the esophagus by the powerful stomach acid, getting to where it doesn't belong.. When one belches, the acid may bubble up into the back of the throat, causing a fiery feeling there as well. Often this occurs at night, especially after a large or late meal, and if one is asleep when the acid regurgitates, it may actually be inhaled, causing a searing of the airway, and violent coughing and gasping.
This condition is dangerous, because of the possibility of pneumonia or lung injury. The esophagus may become strictured, or scarred and constricted, causing trouble with swallowing. Approximately 10 - 15% of patients with even mild sporadic symptoms of heartburn will develop a condition called Barrett's esophagus, which is a pre-malignant change in the lining membrane of the esophagus, a cause of esophageal cancer. The incidence of this type of cancer is increasing in the United States, in parallel with the increase in obesity.
Asthma and Bronchitis
Obesity is associated with a higher rate of asthma, about 3 times normal. Much of this effect is probably due to acid reflux (described above), which can irritate a sensitive airway and provoke an asthmatic attack. The improvement of asthma after surgery is often very dramatic, even before much weight loss has occurred.
Gallbladder Disease
Gallbladder disease occurs several times as frequently in the obese, in part due to repeated efforts at dieting, which predispose to this problem. When stones form in the gallbladder, and cause abdominal pain or jaundice, the gallbladder must be removed.
Stress Urinary Incontinence
A large heavy abdomen, and relaxation of the pelvic muscles, especially associated with the effects of childbirth, may cause the valve on the urinary bladder to be weakened, leading to leakage of urine with coughing, sneezing, or laughing. This condition is strongly associated with being overweight, and is usually relieved by weight loss.
Degenerative Disease of Lumbo-Sacral Spine
The entire weight of the upper body falls on the base of the spine, and overweight causes it to wear out, or to fail. The consequence may be accelerated arthritis of the spine, or "slipped disk", when the cartilage between the vertebrae squeezes out. Either of these conditions can cause irritation or compression of the nerve roots, and lead to sciatica -- a dull, intense pain down the outside of the leg.
Degenerative Arthritis of Weight-Bearing Joints
The hips, knees, ankles and feet have to bear most of the weight of the body. These joints tend to wear out more quickly, or to develop degenerative arthritis much earlier and more frequently, than in the normal-weighted person. Eventually, joint replacement surgery may be needed, to relieve the severe pain. Unfortunately, the obese person faces a disadvantage there too -- joint replacement has much poorer results in the obese, and complications are more likely.. Many orthopedic surgeons refuse to perform the surgery in severely overweight patients
Venous Stasis Disease
The veins of the lower legs carry blood back to the heart, and they are equipped with an elaborate system of delicate one-way valves, to allow them to carry blood "uphill". The pressure of a large abdomen may increase the load on these valves, eventually causing damage or destruction. The blood pressure in the lower legs then increases, causing swelling, thickening of the skin, and sometimes ulceration of the skin. Blood clots also can form in the legs, further damaging the veins, and can also break free and float into the lungs -- called a Pulmonary Embolism -- a serious or even fatal event.
Emotional/Psychological Illness
Seriously overweight persons face constant challenges to their emotions: repeated failure with dieting, disapproval from family and friends, sneers and remarks from strangers. They often experience discrimination at work, and cannot enjoy theatre seats, or a ride in a bus or airliner. There is no wonder, that anxiety and depression might accompany years of suffering from the effects of a genetic condition -- one which skinny people all believe should be controlled easily by will power.
Social Effects
Seriously obese persons suffer inability to qualify for many types of employment, and discrimination in employment opportunities, as well. They tend to have higher rates of unemployment, and a lower socioeconomic status. Ignorant persons often make rude and disparaging comments, and there is a general societal belief that obesity is a consequence of a lack of self-discipline, or moral weakness. Many severely obese persons find it preferable to avoid social interactions or public places, choosing to limit their own freedom, rather than suffer embarassment.

http://www.gastricbypass.com/HEMO.htm

Abbey Marie
Oh, and from the same article:

Amata said that in his decades as a public defender, he has seen children left in homes with parents who have severe drug problems or who have beaten their children, with the reasoning that there isn't an immediate danger to the child.

In this case, Amata said, other than having a weight problem, the boy was a normal elementary school student who was on the honor roll and participated in school activities.
http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011...hts_child.html (http://blog.cleveland.com/metro/2011/11/obese_cleveland_heights_child.html)

Looks like I was right...

ConHog
The other article said 1 year. But no matter, this just confirms that it was all about the weight as I suspected. There seem to be no other parenting issues to put this kid on the radar, which is what was implied by Con.

No , sorry guess I wasn't clear. What I was saying was that I imagine this kid was on their radar because of his weight before now. Wasn't implying there were other parenting issues.

To me killing a kid by letting him be 3 times his ideal weight is no different than beating him . Abuse is abuse.

Abbey Marie
12-06-2011, 10:21 AM
No , sorry guess I wasn't clear. What I was saying was that I imagine this kid was on their radar because of his weight before now. Wasn't implying there were other parenting issues.

To me killing a kid by letting him be 3 times his ideal weight is no different than beating him . Abuse is abuse.

Okey dokey, I misunderstood you.

As a child of ongoing serious beatings myself, I totally disagree with your second statement. I wish my abusive parent's hands were just filled with food.

ConHog
12-06-2011, 10:23 AM

As a child of ongoing serious beatings myself, I totally disagree with your second statement. I wish my abusive parent's hands were just filled with food.

Oh, so sorry to have went there, I never would have had I known Abbey.

But long term , both have the potential to kill the child, you'd agree on that?

Abbey Marie
12-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Oh, so sorry to have went there, I never would have had I known Abbey.

But long term , both have the potential to kill the child, you'd agree on that?

Don't feel badly- no way you could have known, and I am not easily affronted anyway. :cool:

I think the effects of the over-feeding are bad in the long term. I have not been saying this mom is doing a good job with nutrition. I said some education and intervention is probably necessary. My belief is that taking the child away is extreme and is an abuse of power by the State. Try to imagine being that 8 year old the day they take him from his mommy, and from his home. I imagine he is going through hell. Not to mention that he must now feel like damaged goods. So bad, that he couldn't even stay with his mommy. And we all know that insecurity just makes a lot of people eat even more.

I can state categorically, that even with the beatings, I would not have wanted to be taken out of my home.

Btw, did you see that my post above that he is on the honor roll and participates in school activities? Betcha that goes down the tubes now. Wouldn't you agree that he sounds like a well-adjusted kid, and his mom must be doing a lot of things very well?

ConHog
12-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Don't feel badly- no way you could have known, and I am not easily affronted anyway. :cool:

I think the effects of the over-feeding are bad in the long term. I have not been saying this mom is doing a good job with nutrition. I said some education and intervention is probably necessary. My belief is that taking the child away is extreme and is an abuse of power by the State. Try to imagine being that 8 year old the day they take him from his mommy, and from his home. I imagine he is going through hell. Not to mention that he must now feel like damaged goods. So bad, that he couldn't even stay with his mommy. And we all know that insecurity just makes a lot of people eat even more.

I can state categorically, that even with the beatings, I would not have wanted to be taken out of my home.

Btw, did you see that my post above that he is on the honor roll and participates in school activities? Betcha that goes down the tubes now. Wouldn't you agree that he sounds like a well-adjusted kid, and his mom must be doing a lot of things very well?

I'll bet that in the end, the kid goes back to his mom, after she's been through some training and such. Too many kids, not enough foster parents for it to end up any other way really. And yes I think the kid's grades and behavior and such will have a big effect on that.

krisy
12-06-2011, 02:26 PM

I agree Abby. I think regular intervention from a diet specialist is the answer. I believe more damage is done pulling him out of the home. While mom does need to crack down, the effects of living with strangers are not going to help anything. I also do not believe it is neglect. A lot of moms and grandmas like to feed out of love. Not saying its right,but they believe they are doing their job by feeding so much. My granny used to stuff us full when we were kids. I see people doing the same thing with their pets,throwing them table food constantly and over feeding.

Kathianne
12-06-2011, 04:05 PM
I agree Abby. I think regular intervention from a diet specialist is the answer. I believe more damage is done pulling him out of the home. While mom does need to crack down, the effects of living with strangers are not going to help anything. I also do not believe it is neglect. A lot of moms and grandmas like to feed out of love. Not saying its right,but they believe they are doing their job by feeding so much. My granny used to stuff us full when we were kids. I see people doing the same thing with their pets,throwing them table food constantly and over feeding.

This is what I was saying all along. From the original stories too, it seemed that she'd be 'counseled' but found it too hard to maintain. There's no clarity there though, how it was too hard. Both are in serious need of counseling and education regarding nutrition. The removal from the home, was more than 1 step too far.

ConHog
12-06-2011, 05:59 PM

Letting an 8 year old balloon up to 200 lbs is abuse. Simple as that. Now certainly we can debate whether taking the child away is the appropriate response, but it's abuse.

Kathianne
12-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Letting an 8 year old balloon up to 200 lbs is abuse. Simple as that. Now certainly we can debate whether taking the child away is the appropriate response, but it's abuse.

Is this the point we may refer to you as 'Mr. Obvious'? I mean you have been reading what others are saying?

ConHog
12-06-2011, 06:05 PM
Is this the point we may refer to you as 'Mr. Obvious'? I mean you have been reading what others are saying?

Certainly Krssy was implying that She? doesn't believe it is abuse. SHE? used the word neglect, but I think it is clear that she? meant abuse.

Shadow
12-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Just a follow up article to this story that I found...

Ohio boy who weighed 200 pounds to live with uncle

A boy removed from his mother's custody (http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/27/9050071-ohio-puts-200-pound-third-grader-in-foster-care) over health concerns when his weight ballooned to more than 200 pounds will be taken from foster care and placed in the custody of an uncle, a judge ruled Wednesday. Judge John Hoffman also said the boy, who celebrated his 9th birthday Wednesday but didn't appear in court, would be allowed a weeklong visit with his mother (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) for Christmas. His name was withheld by Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court.
The mother left court without commenting, but the placement with her brother living in the Columbus area had been accepted by all sides before it was announced during a brief court hearing.
The court-appointed attorney representing the boy's interests, John Lawson, said he was sure the youngster would be happy with the agreement.

"This is only an interim plan because the real goal of everybody here is to get him back in his home with his mother and his sibling," a brother, Lawson said.
"He's a very smart boy and I think he's got goals (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) about himself," Lawson said, including losing weight.
While in foster care, the boy's weight dropped from about 200 pounds to 192.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45675823/ns/health-childrens_health/

Abbey Marie
12-15-2011, 11:10 AM

A boy removed from his mother's custody (http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/11/27/9050071-ohio-puts-200-pound-third-grader-in-foster-care) over health concerns when his weight ballooned to more than 200 pounds will be taken from foster care and placed in the custody of an uncle, a judge ruled Wednesday. Judge John Hoffman also said the boy, who celebrated his 9th birthday Wednesday but didn't appear in court, would be allowed a weeklong visit with his mother (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) for Christmas. His name was withheld by Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court.
The mother left court without commenting, but the placement with her brother living in the Columbus area had been accepted by all sides before it was announced during a brief court hearing.
The court-appointed attorney representing the boy's interests, John Lawson, said he was sure the youngster would be happy with the agreement.

"This is only an interim plan because the real goal of everybody here is to get him back in his home with his mother and his sibling," a brother, Lawson said.
"He's a very smart boy and I think he's got goals (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) about himself," Lawson said, including losing weight.

And no doubt visions of sugarplums danced in his head.

ConHog
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
And no doubt visions of sugarplums danced in his head.

Probably true, Little Fatty Fat Fuck no doubt is expecting his mom to over feed him that week. If she has a half a brain, she'll use the week to prove she's listened to what she's been told .

LuvRPgrl
12-15-2011, 12:54 PM

CAPS EH? WELL, I NEVER DO THAT.
Babies who are bundled at night to be sure they dont get cold, are actually going to have more health problems than if you let the child become a bit chilly at night.
Same thing here, over feeding a kid is wayyyyy,,, errr,,,,,,WWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY worse than underfeeding them.

LuvRPgrl
12-15-2011, 12:58 PM

I completely disagree with you.

Abbey Marie
12-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I completely disagree with you.

And you've become an ass. So what?

LuvRPgrl
12-15-2011, 01:26 PM

The first piece was pure propaganda, and so is this follow up.
The kid weighed 220 lbs.
He has lost over 20 lbs now, not 8.
He wasnt taken from the family, he is with an uncle, and mom still gets to see him.
DCS, or whatever, repeatedly told the woman she needs to do something about his weight, she didnt. The fat fuck ol bitch is like alot of other parents that let their kids balloon up like blimps.
....I think they took to long to respond, I wouldnt have let him get beyond 135 or so.
.....They are fat themselves because they are lazy, dont eat right, and usually at least mildly depressed.
By allowing, nay , encouraging a kid to be so fat is for the parents benefit. They are fat themselves, and if the kid balloon too, then they claim "see, its genetic and I cant do anything about it."
.....The kid didnt weight 3 times his normal size, but 4 tiimes. The kid weighs more than a majority of full grown men that are 6 ft tall.
Im about 6-1 and dont weight 200, THAT FRICKING KID OUTWEIGHTS ME????????????Something is seriously wrong.
DISCLAIMER, I am in no way saying out and out abuse is not seriously damaging, but often the passive aggresive parent seriously abuses their kids without doing anything that you can point to and claim its abuse.
....This kid is now shouldered with a lifetime of obesity. He will become diabetic, which means he cant eat sugar, he will have to constatnly monitor his blood sugar level. He will most likely lose one or both his feet, go blind, have skin problems, and more.
....He will subjected to ridicule and humiliation by his peers not only in school, but his entire life.
He will be limited to what kind of job he can get,
Sports? Forgettaboutit. Other than sumo wrestling the only competetion he can compete for will be "hot dog eating", worlds biggest loser, and worlds most, "who looks like a pig award"
If he continues he will make the obese look like jenny craig models,
he probably wont be able to drive,
he will have to buy two tickets to fly on a plane,
many rides in dineyland and others wont accomadate him
l.HIs female partner choices will be extremely limited.
He probably wont get married, but if he does have kids, they will most likely become tubalard, fat diabetic adults also.
.He will have to buy all his clothes at special stores,
Instead of getting offers to try Publishers clearing house sweepstakes, his offers will be "mr sweeps steaks, all you can eat restaurant."
He will never be happy, he will vasilate from depression to "feeling ok" most of the time.
He will be arrested for crushing the poor girl to death who volunteers to break his virginity.
He will never know what his feet, or dick really look like.
..............AT BEST ITS A LIFELONG PRISON SENTENCE, AT WORST ITS A DEATH SENTENCE,.
THE KID WILL NEVER BE NORMAL. Yea, yea, yea, who is normal, ya all kknow what I mean.
"

LuvRPgrl
12-15-2011, 01:28 PM
And you've become an ass. So what?

become?
You're pissed just cuz I disagreed with you?
You arent the only one who has been subjected to physical abuse as a child. Dont think you have a monopoly on it.
But seriously, "Im an ass"? That must be coming from some of my other stances, yes?

ConHog
12-15-2011, 01:51 PM
The kid weighed 220 lbs.
He wasnt taken from the family, he is with an uncle, and mom still gets to see him.
DCS, or whatever, repeatedly told the woman she needs to do something about his weight, she didnt. The fat fuck ol bitch is like alot of other parents that let their kids balloon up like blimps.
....I think they took to long to respond, I wouldnt have let him get beyond 135 or so.
.....They are fat themselves because they are lazy, dont eat right, and usually at least mildly depressed.
By allowing, nay , encouraging a kid to be so fat is for the parents benefit. They are fat themselves, and if the kid balloon too, then they claim "see, its genetic and I cant do anything about it."
.....The kid didnt weight 3 times his normal size, but 4 tiimes. The kid weighs more than a majority of full grown men that are 6 ft tall.
Im about 6-1 and dont weight 200, THAT FRICKING KID OUTWEIGHTS ME????????????Something is seriously wrong.
DISCLAIMER, I am in no way saying out and out abuse is not seriously damaging, but often the passive aggresive parent seriously abuses their kids without doing anything that you can point to and claim its abuse.
....This kid is now shouldered with a lifetime of obesity. He will become diabetic, which means he cant eat sugar, he will have to constatnly monitor his blood sugar level. He will most likely lose one or both his feet, go blind, have skin problems, and more.
....He will subjected to ridicule and humiliation by his peers not only in school, but his entire life.
Sports? Forgettaboutit. Other than sumo wrestling the only competetion he can compete for will be "hot dog eating", worlds biggest loser, and worlds most, "who looks like a pig award"
He probably wont get married, but if he does have kids, they will most likely become tubalard, fat diabetic adults also.
Instead of getting offers to try Publishers clearing house sweepstakes, his offers will be "mr sweeps steaks, all you can eat restaurant."
He will never be happy, he will vasilate from depression to "feeling ok" most of the time.
He will be arrested for crushing the poor girl to death who volunteers to break his virginity.
..............AT BEST ITS A LIFELONG PRISON SENTENCE, AT WORST ITS A DEATH SENTENCE,.
THE KID WILL NEVER BE NORMAL. Yea, yea, yea, who is normal, ya all kknow what I mean.
"

This post made me laugh

Shadow
12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
Probably true, Little Fatty Fat Fuck no doubt is expecting his mom to over feed him that week. If she has a half a brain, she'll use the week to prove she's listened to what she's been told .

Now, why the hell would you say that? His uncle clearly stated that this boy has set goals for himself...including losing weight. So, is this 8 year old a liar too now?
:rolleyes:

Shadow
12-15-2011, 10:47 PM
The kid weighed 220 lbs.
"

He is only 8 years old...people can and have lost weight before. Maybe he will drop a lot of weight and become a personal trainer. Stranger things have happened.

ConHog
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
He is only 8 years old...people can and have lost weight before. Maybe he will drop a lot of weight and become a personal trainer. Stranger things have happened.

The odds however favor him becoming a lardass adult.

logroller
12-15-2011, 11:32 PM

http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/image0055.jpg

Shadow
12-15-2011, 11:59 PM

I just love how you always give folks the benefit of the doubt. Grandma is just a lying bitch, and little Jimmy is a worthless fat little fuck. Do you kick dogs too?:slap:

ConHog
12-16-2011, 12:31 AM
I just love how you always give folks the benefit of the doubt. Grandma is just a lying bitch, and little Jimmy is a worthless fat little fuck. Do you kick dogs too?:slap:

Only if they are fat liar dogs.:laugh2:

LuvRPgrl
12-16-2011, 02:11 AM
Now, why the hell would you say that? His uncle clearly stated that this boy has set goals for himself...including losing weight. So, is this 8 year old a liar too now?
:rolleyes:

Kids lie all the time. Especially when it means getting their mom back. Not to mention the motivation that she will continue feeding him like a bear before hibernation.

even if he does, he will still have a lifelong struggle to keep it off.
That is a sentence worse than an alcoholic, you dont need your fix to live, but overeating bloated people do.

Shadow
05-11-2012, 09:45 PM
Just an update to this story that I ran across...

Obese Boy Returned to Mother’s Care

An Ohio boy has been returned to his mother’s care more than five months after he was placed in foster care by county officials who said his mother wasn’t doing enough to control his weight, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/05/juvenile_court_judge_releases.html).In November, the 9-year-old weighed 218 pounds. After spending months in foster care with an uncle, the boy’s weight dropped to 166 pounds.
The boy was returned to his mother in early March under protective supervision, the newspaper reported. The decision made Thursday by Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court Judge David Stucki released the family from that supervision.
The case became a flashpoint for the controversy of whether obese children should be removed from their parents’ care, a move typically reserved for children who have been physically abused, neglected or undernourished. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12.5 million children and teens are obese.
In a controversial article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2011, Dr. David Ludwig, an obesity expert at Children’s Hospital Boston, said government removal is probably not appropriate for most children, but in a few cases may be the best solution.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/05/11/obese-boy-returned-to-mothers-care/

ConHog
05-11-2012, 10:58 PM
Just an update to this story that I ran across...

Obese Boy Returned to Mother’s Care

An Ohio boy has been returned to his mother’s care more than five months after he was placed in foster care by county officials who said his mother wasn’t doing enough to control his weight, reports the Cleveland Plain Dealer (http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2012/05/juvenile_court_judge_releases.html).In November, the 9-year-old weighed 218 pounds. After spending months in foster care with an uncle, the boy’s weight dropped to 166 pounds.
The boy was returned to his mother in early March under protective supervision, the newspaper reported. The decision made Thursday by Cuyahoga County Juvenile Court Judge David Stucki released the family from that supervision.
The case became a flashpoint for the controversy of whether obese children should be removed from their parents’ care, a move typically reserved for children who have been physically abused, neglected or undernourished. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 12.5 million children and teens are obese.
In a controversial article published in the Journal of the American Medical Association in 2011, Dr. David Ludwig, an obesity expert at Children’s Hospital Boston, said government removal is probably not appropriate for most children, but in a few cases may be the best solution.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/health/2012/05/11/obese-boy-returned-to-mothers-care/

I have two nineteen year olds and neither of them weigh 166 lbs

DragonStryk72
05-12-2012, 12:41 AM
I agree that the removal of the child was the wrong course of action. However an 8 or 9 year old child, weighing over 200 lbs is morbidly obese and is in immediate need at that point of losing a significant amount of weight.

This has been discussed elsewhere for quite awhile now, the progressives seem to think that the state had every right to put the child in a 'safe environment.' Others, including myself wonder why the mother hadn't received more help from social services including a nutritionist and therapy for her and the son. Something is seriously out of whack. I've not seen any reports that the child suffers from some underlying cause of the weight, even genetic predisposition. The presumption of the state finding 'a safe environment' is laughable, (if not so sad), considering how many children are abused in the state services system.

If with qualified support and the mother continues to say that it's too difficult to have him eat correct, she might face legal problems regarding abuse. No doubt in an extreme case like this, the court might well order meals delivered for the child, with an order that the mother undermining the program will face consequences.

Without some sort of hyper-thyroidism or something similar, I just don't see how an 8 year old could get that overweight without pretty force-feeding him as much as possible while keeping him from doing any exercise.

Shadow
05-12-2012, 06:04 AM
I have two nineteen year olds and neither of them weigh 166 lbs

I have a 14 year old that does. And they are far from obese...only wears a size 9 jeans. Not all kids are the same body type, and the same metabolism.

Still not happy? Even now that the "fat fuck" is making progress?

Noir
05-12-2012, 06:27 AM
I have a 14 year old that does. And they are far from obese...only wears a size 9 jeans. Not all kids are the same body type, and the same metabolism.

Still not happy? Even now that the "fat fuck" is making progress?

Add another 60 pounds to your kid, and take away half a dozen years, obese now?
The fact is that whatever this kids body type and motabolism - a few weeks with an uncle and he's lost a significant amount of weight, therefore this is weight he could of lost with his mum, but for whatever reason, didn't. Seems the move to stay with an uncle was a good one, hopefully it'll continue.

Shadow
05-12-2012, 06:50 AM
Add another 60 pounds to your kid, and take away half a dozen years, obese now?
The fact is that whatever this kids body type and motabolism - a few weeks with an uncle and he's lost a significant amount of weight, therefore this is weight he could of lost with his mum, but for whatever reason, didn't. Seems the move to stay with an uncle was a good one, hopefully it'll continue.

Actually this boy has been with his uncle for many months. When the uncle was given custody...they had already established goals that the boy was said to be motivated to meet (probably mandated by the gov...but still). Now,he is back with his mother. We will see if he continues to lose weight or not....if he does...he probably could have stayed in the home and made the same progress.

Noir
05-12-2012, 07:51 AM
Actually this boy has been with his uncle for many months. When the uncle was given custody...they had already established goals that the boy was said to be motivated to meet (probably mandated by the gov...but still). Now,he is back with his mother. We will see if he continues to lose weight or not....if he does...he probably could have stayed in the home and made the same progress.

Indeed, I meant months, typed weeks >,>
Was the boy set targets etc before he was taken to his uncles?

Abbey Marie
05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Without some sort of hyper-thyroidism or something similar, I just don't see how an 8 year old could get that overweight without pretty force-feeding him as much as possible while keeping him from doing any exercise.

Perhaps mom was prepping him to become pate'

Shadow
05-13-2012, 04:15 PM
Indeed, I meant months, typed weeks >,>
Was the boy set targets etc before he was taken to his uncles?

Yes...he was participating in some type of weight loss program for kids while living with his mom. He had lost quite a bit of weight...but when he went in for a check up later, they found he had gained some of it back. That was when he was then taken from the home. While living with the uncle...he was put back on the same program.

fj1200
05-13-2012, 09:25 PM
That was when he was then taken from the home. While living with the uncle..

Maybe he needed to realize that they were serious about taking action.

Shadow
05-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Maybe he needed to realize that they were serious about taking action.

That could be...I'm sure a kid that age never expected to be taken away from his home.

ConHog
05-14-2012, 11:56 AM
That could be...I'm sure a kid that age never expected to be taken away from his home.

Good for the kid making progress, seems like the state made the right call on this one.

Noir
05-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Yes...he was participating in some type of weight loss program for kids while living with his mom. He had lost quite a bit of weight...but when he went in for a check up later, they found he had gained some of it back. That was when he was then taken from the home. While living with the uncle...he was put back on the same program.

Do you have numbers?

logroller
05-14-2012, 02:38 PM
Do you have numbers?
16, 2, 1, 4, 12. That's in stone. :laugh: