PDA

View Full Version : Time Magazine USA vs the Rest of the World

Noir
12-07-2011, 08:32 AM
Most bizarre...

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/jonathan-mcc/there_is_no_censorship_in_us.jpg

jimnyc
12-07-2011, 08:37 AM
The picture is a tad small. Not sure if it's that, or my eyes going, but I'm having trouble making out the covers!

Noir
12-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Thats the largest i can find...

The more interesting ones for the sake of difference include the 4th one down (USA:What Makes School Great, Everywhere else: Pakistan's Despair) and the fifth one own (USA: The Return of the Scilent Majority, Everhwere Else: Why the USA Will Never Save Afghanistan)...

jimnyc
12-07-2011, 09:27 AM
Thats the largest i can find...

The more interesting ones for the sake of difference include the 4th one down (USA:What Makes School Great, Everywhere else: Pakistan's Despair) and the fifth one own (USA: The Return of the Scilent Majority, Everhwere Else: Why the USA Will Never Save Afghanistan)...

I'd be curious to see definitive proof as to whether or not these covers were out at the exact same release date for starters. But anyway, shouldn't they be doing whatever maximizes their profits? That's why so many newspapers have moved to sensationalism - it sells here in the US. Same as rags like The Star, and The Enquirer, people like to read the crap they put out. While Time is much more respected, I'm sure they look at every area they are releasing their magazine and tailor the content/covers to what will sell best.

ConHog
12-07-2011, 09:33 AM
I'd be curious to see definitive proof as to whether or not these covers were out at the exact same release date for starters. But anyway, shouldn't they be doing whatever maximizes their profits? That's why so many newspapers have moved to sensationalism - it sells here in the US. Same as rags like The Star, and The Enquirer, people like to read the crap they put out. While Time is much more respected, I'm sure they look at every area they are releasing their magazine and tailor the content/covers to what will sell best.

I would imagine that is the case. I don't think they would sell too many magazines in Germany if their cover said "US kicks Germany's ass is well EVERYTHING" just for instance.

No different than a college football preview magazine really. You and I could buy the same exact issue of the same magazine and yours would likely have a Penn St or Rutgers player on the front, while mine would have a Razorback player on the front.

Noir
12-07-2011, 09:40 AM

You can look them up on the back issues page of the time website.

and its a little bit awful if 'What Makes School Great' would be seen to sell more issues in the US than 'Pakistan's Despair' as with the rest of the world...

jimnyc
12-07-2011, 09:47 AM
You can look them up on the back issues page of the time website.

and its a little bit awful if 'What Makes School Great' would be seen to sell more issues in the US than 'Pakistan's Despair' as with the rest of the world...

I'm not concerned enough to look them up. I'll assume they're on the same date. As far as it being awful, it's still smart of a business to know what sells.

Oh, and it's probably awful as well if you compare aid and other $$$ given to Pakistan in any given year, compared to the entire world and not just other territories.

revelarts
12-07-2011, 10:20 AM
I'd love to be in the meetings where the covers are chosen, but i tell you this while news editorial staff at the paper i worked at did have the some small concern for sales and profits what they really considered themselves were news people and wanted to get the juicy story on the front page. Not the food section story. And Time magazine is one of the news Drivers, if it's front page there it's considered important. there's more to it than meets the eye.