PDA

View Full Version : My Cat got shots and lost her meow

chloe
12-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Any cat owners ever seen this happen to there cat?

revelarts
12-07-2011, 03:57 PM
What? that's weird.
maybe your cats not speaking to you becuase you gave it shots.

chloe
12-07-2011, 04:00 PM
What? that's weird.

Well actually my mother took the cat in along with her cat to get vaccinations.

The next day my cat would meow but no sound came out.

I read that cats can get an upper respiratory infection, we had the vet look and they said they just don't know what it causing it.

revelarts
12-07-2011, 04:34 PM
Well actually my mother took the cat in along with her cat to get vaccinations.

The next day my cat would meow but no sound came out.

I read that cats can get an upper respiratory infection, we had the vet look and they said they just don't know what it causing it.
hmm sorry Chole, I hope it clears up soon.

chloe
12-07-2011, 04:35 PM
hmm sorry Chole, I hope it clears up soon.

Thanks Rev, I'm hoping may redstatesrule will know what this is since he is a major cat lover like me.

Kathianne
12-07-2011, 04:39 PM
I think a cat 'meowing' with no meow, would freak me out! Found this:

http://www.cute-cat.net/cat-health.html

Normal cat sounds indicate much about health and communication. A higher pitched cat meow generally means a cat is happy, while a lower pitched meow can indicate anxiety. Growls and hisses of course mean that the cat is getting agitated, and you should be very careful around the cat. It can be a sign of poor cat health when a cat loses its meow. The cat might have tonsillitis, allergies, or an infection of the throat.

jimnyc
12-07-2011, 05:08 PM

Yep, have owned about 15 cats or so over the years. This is typically a sign of a cold or laryngitis. I wouldn't take any chances and I would see a vet. Is he/she showing any other signs of illness besides the meowing?

jimnyc
12-07-2011, 05:12 PM
What? that's weird.

That's awesome! :lol:

My wife "forced" me to have my Pug fixed. He's given her the cold shoulder ever since! He also now tries to bite the vet no matter what she does to him, whether it's a shot, checkup or chopping his claws. Animals are smarter than most think!

chloe
12-07-2011, 05:16 PM

My wife "forced" me to have my Pug fixed. He's given her the cold shoulder ever since! He also now tries to bite the vet no matter what she does to him, whether it's a shot, checkup or chopping his claws. Animals are smarter than most think!

Is that the pug that is sick ?

chloe
12-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Yep, have owned about 15 cats or so over the years. This is typically a sign of a cold or laryngitis. I wouldn't take any chances and I would see a vet. Is he/she showing any other signs of illness besides the meowing?

No other signs but we did take her to the vet and the vet gave her another shot a steroid, but the vet didn't knowI why my cat lost her meow.

It's been two days since we took her back to the vet.

Gaffer
12-07-2011, 05:19 PM

They just hold grudges longer.

chloe
12-07-2011, 05:28 PM
They just hold grudges longer.

Even other peoples pets take a liking to you, do you still watch that little dog that was so territorial of you :laugh2:

Gaffer
12-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Even other peoples pets take a liking to you, do you still watch that little dog that was so territorial of you :laugh2:

No not any more. He's home with his mama. And he could actually say "mama". Yeah most pets seem to take a liking to me. Especially dogs. Went to visit some friends one time. The lady there said her dog was scared of other people and wouldn't come out when they were around. Within an hour the dog came out and jumped into my lap and the lady sat there opened mouthed while I scratched his ears. Even cats do it but they take longer to decide I'm okay.

chloe
12-07-2011, 05:49 PM
No not any more. He's home with his mama. And he could actually say "mama". Yeah most pets seem to take a liking to me. Especially dogs. Went to visit some friends one time. The lady there said her dog was scared of other people and wouldn't come out when they were around. Within an hour the dog came out and jumped into my lap and the lady sat there opened mouthed while I scratched his ears. Even cats do it but they take longer to decide I'm okay.

My sister used to have a great dane and it used to howl a sound that sounded like he was saying "no way" we used to try and get him to do that all the time because it was so funny.

Gaffer
12-07-2011, 05:56 PM
My sister used to have a great dane and it used to howl a sound that sounded like he was saying "no way" we used to try and get him to do that all the time because it was so funny.

It's funny when they seem to mimic words. Thor use to talk to me, but he didn't say any words, just sounded like white fang from soupy sales.

chloe
12-07-2011, 06:08 PM
I think a cat 'meowing' with no meow, would freak me out! Found this:

http://www.cute-cat.net/cat-health.html

We had returned to the vet one time sine this happened and the vet did not know what is causing it.

So I will give it until friday and go to a different vet.

Kathianne
12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
We had returned to the vet one time sine this happened and the vet did not know what is causing it.

So I will give it until friday and go to a different vet.

While I'm not a 'cat' person, I do hope the mew is found, pronto! New vet may be in order. I just did a quick search to find that info, seems the cat lovers here already knew. A vet certainly should, no?

chloe
12-07-2011, 06:26 PM
While I'm not a 'cat' person, I do hope the mew is found, pronto! New vet may be in order. I just did a quick search to find that info, seems the cat lovers here already knew. A vet certainly should, no?

Agreed, we can read stiff online but getting a professional opinion is best, and it is strange they didn't know what caused it.

I will give it until friday and then go to a new vet.

:)

ConHog
12-07-2011, 09:16 PM

No , but I once dated a woman who lost her ability to swallow after having her wisdom teeth removed. I was pissed at the oral surgeon.

red states rule
12-18-2011, 07:59 AM
Agreed, we can read stiff online but getting a professional opinion is best, and it is strange they didn't know what caused it.

I will give it until friday and then go to a new vet.

:)

I hope everything works out for you Chloe. If you lived closer to me I would send you to my vet. They are the most professional and caring vet clinic I have ever had.

I still drive 1 hour one way trip to see them when one my cats needs medical attention. They are worth it. I took Hanzel last week as he was wheezing and had some congestion. Well, his temp was fine and after 2 doses of the med they sent with me - he was fine and back to normal

red states rule
12-18-2011, 08:01 AM
No , but I once dated a woman who lost her ability to swallow after having her wisdom teeth removed. I was pissed at the oral surgeon.

Juvenile

very juvenile

revelarts
12-18-2011, 09:23 AM
Seems Obvious that the 1st thing to check would be the vaccine. Was it a live virus and if so did your cat have a reaction to it? was the dose to high, to low, the wrong vaccine, old vaccine, new vaccine? Something new at the vet the cat picked up?
Did the cat eat something weird at your mom's place?

Again, I hope it clears up.