PDA

View Full Version : School turns heating off to ‘save planet’

red states rule
12-08-2011, 03:39 AM
I wonder iof some liberal idiot here in the US will get any ideas from this idiot in Castle Cary England?

The enviro wackos are getting more and more desperate to shove their agenda down our throats. At least the kids shivering in class learned what lunatics the enviro wackos really are

A HEADTEACHER got a roasting yesterday for turning the school heating OFF on one of the coldest days of the year — to save the planet.

Pupils shivered in coats, hats and scarves as temperatures fell to just 1°C (34°F).

Head Rob Benzie switched off the radiators to show how the secondary school could cut its carbon footprint.

But some staff and parents slammed the "barbaric" plan.

One teacher called it "beyond stupid" and added: "It was absolutely ridiculous.

"I've never worked in such cold. I'm all for saving the planet but this was barbaric.

"Nobody could work properly and kids could not even grip a pen through their gloves." The mum of a 12-year-old at Ansford Academy in Castle Cary, Somerset, said: "She was shaking when she came home. I was absolutely furious."
A dad added: "Turning the heating off in December is just mental.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3980024/School-turns-heating-off-to-save-planet.html

CSM
12-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Hey, no price too great to pay in order to save the planet. Of course, the only real way to save the planet is to eliminate all human life. That should reduce the carbon footprint!

Abbey Marie
12-08-2011, 09:51 AM
Will the Brits ever stop feeling guilty for all that Colonialism?

ConHog
12-08-2011, 10:08 AM
Jesus , aint they ever heard of a thermostat?

Thunderknuckles
12-08-2011, 11:20 AM
Nothing this idiot does is going to "save" the planet or destroy it for that matter. He might give a few kids the flu though and God help him then.

Noir
12-08-2011, 11:31 AM
It was a pupil lead initiative, and the parents were told before hand that it was happening, obviously gone tits up, but such is life.

What i wana know is what those parents would do if their children went to the school i went too, one of the buildings, Crosby, was around 150 years old and its heating system not much younger, so it rarely if ever worked and when it did the 8 meter high ceiling took the heat instead lol, methinks those kids can consider themselves lucky that they'd only have one day like that, by choice.

CSM
12-08-2011, 11:40 AM
It was a pupil lead initiative, and the parents were told before hand that it was happening, obviously gone tits up, but such is life.

What i wana know is what those parents would do if their children went to the school i went too, one of the buildings, Crosby, was around 150 years old and its heating system not much younger, so it rarely if ever worked and when it did the 8 meter high ceiling took the heat instead lol, methinks those kids can consider themselves lucky that they'd only have one day like that, by choice.

Nice spin! the article says it was a FEW pupils from the eco-group. I doubt that constitutes support from the majority of the student body. Hmmm, I wonder which teahcer leads the "eco-group".

By the way Noir, you are FAR to young to start the old "I had to walk to school, uphill (both ways) in the winter with no shoes" story telling.

Noir
12-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Nice spin! the article says it was a FEW pupils from the eco-group. I doubt that constitutes support from the majority of the student body. Hmmm, I wonder which teahcer leads the "eco-group".

By the way Noir, you are FAR to young to start the old "I had to walk to school, uphill (both ways) in the winter with no shoes" story telling.

Hardly spin, the 'eco group' came up with an idea, it was a-okayed, stupidly, and thus they've ended up in the mess they're in.

and my age has nothing to do with this, just because i'm half your age or whatever doesn't mean i don't have experiences that are akin to the situation.

CSM
12-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Hardly spin, the 'eco group' came up with an idea, it was a-okayed, stupidly, and thus they've ended up in the mess they're in.

and my age has nothing to do with this, just because i'm half your age or whatever doesn't mean i don't have experiences that are akin to the situation.

Easy there youngun...I'm just teasing you. I sometimes forget that you Brits have no sense of humor.

Noir
12-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Easy there youngun...I'm just teasing you. I sometimes forget that you Brits have no sense of humor.

atleast do something, anything, to imply humour when you're not being obviously overtly sarcastic...for a few moments there i had to contemplate the fact that you may be a fool =P

Little-Acorn
12-08-2011, 12:12 PM
School turns heating off to ‘save planet’

Somebody on one of these forums has a .sig that says something like "Genius has its limitations, but stupidity is not thus encumbered."

The subject of this thread demonstrates that sentiment perfectly.

CSM
12-08-2011, 12:33 PM
atleast do something, anything, to imply humour when you're not being obviously overtly sarcastic...for a few moments there i had to contemplate the fact that you may be a fool =P

I suspect it wouldn't be the first time your thinking led you to a useless expenditure of brain power and reaching and erronious conclusion. (j/k)

In the future I'll be sure to let you know when something is funny.

Noir
12-08-2011, 12:38 PM
I suspect it wouldn't be the first time your thinking led you to a useless expenditure of brain power and reaching and erronious conclusion. (j/k)

In the future I'll be sure to let you know when something is funny.

Yeah, something along the lines of ''Of all the tender hearts i know and have known, none be so tender as that of Gunnys'' at the end of any such post will be warning enough ^,^

CSM
12-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, something along the lines of ''Of all the tender hearts i know and have known, none be so tender as that of Gunnys'' at the end of any such post will be warning enough ^,^
Truere words were never spoken! (That is funny, just so ya know)

fj1200
12-08-2011, 12:55 PM

That joke is so old it needs no such introduction. :laugh:

Somebody on one of these forums has a .sig that says something like "Genius has its limitations, but stupidity is not thus encumbered."

The subject of this thread demonstrates that sentiment perfectly.

That would be from Mssr. Hubbard.

DragonStryk72
12-08-2011, 02:21 PM

lol, you know, I actually had to do that once? I had shoes on, though. The setup of my neighborhood was this:

School **STEEP HILL** House

So, one December I missed the bus, and it being upstate NY, Had to walk, uphill to school, and later in the day, we ran into an issue where our bus broke down in the parking lot, and so, since both my parents were at work, I walked myself on home, going up hill in the even deeper snow.

red states rule
12-09-2011, 03:42 AM

If that is true, I do love the fact the liberal students got to experience the results of their liberal ideas. That may cause them to stop being liberals and their lives will greatly improve

red states rule
12-09-2011, 03:45 AM
Speaking of living a hard life, here is Bill Cosby on the stories his father told him

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Tt33zqib2qk" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Noir
12-09-2011, 05:40 AM
If that is true, I do love the fact the liberal students got to experience the results of their liberal ideas. That may cause them to stop being liberals and their lives will greatly improve

What do you mean 'if that is true'? It's from the source that you provided xD

Shadow
12-14-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey, no price too great to pay in order to save the planet. Of course, the only real way to save the planet is to eliminate all human life. That should reduce the carbon footprint!

And why not start with the school kids...before they get into all kinds of nasty non environmentally friendly habits.

sundaydriver
12-17-2011, 05:13 PM
I wonder iof some liberal idiot here in the US will get any ideas from this idiot in Castle Cary England?

The enviro wackos are getting more and more desperate to shove their agenda down our throats. At least the kids shivering in class learned what lunatics the enviro wackos really are

I know just what you mean rsr. All I have to do is think back to all the times the enviro wackos took us winter camping as Boy Scouts or entered us in the Klondike Derby still sends chills up my spine! :laugh2:

LuvRPgrl
12-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I know just what you mean rsr. All I have to do is think back to all the times the enviro wackos took us winter camping as Boy Scouts or entered us in the Klondike Derby still sends chills up my spine! :laugh2:

HEY, I love your avatar of ConHog !!

red states rule
12-18-2011, 07:12 AM

This is more in line to what I was thinking. It is always a good thing when liberals have to endure the results of their own policies

Much like we are right now with Obama running things. You all wanted change? Well you got your change

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tZzKUt4OtE8" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

sundaydriver
12-18-2011, 05:05 PM
That must be the video that convinced you to buy that Echo. :laugh2:

Trigg
12-18-2011, 07:36 PM
Even though the students thought of this idea and, apparently, the parents were sent notice. Spending and entire day in 34 degree cold while trying to work is assinine, the school principle should have known better.

Kathianne
12-18-2011, 07:58 PM
A few students in an eco-club are not 'the students' and like the 'Tebowing incident' going on another thread, the administration is getting paid, not grades, to make the decisions for the entire school.

sundaydriver
12-18-2011, 08:14 PM
while temperatures dipped to a not-so-balmy 34°F outside.

This was a group project with everyone including parents having advanced knowledge of a cold day at school. The heat was turned off that morning and the temperatures throughout the school were probably at minimum 15 degrees above outside temps by the end of the day.
The Academy is an upgraded 85 year old structure with some old piping that the school was aware and issues of not letting the building get anywhere near freezing temps were considered ahead of time to avoid frozen pipes or other damages.
Sure it was a lot cooler than normal but if you can read something other than sensationalized bullshit it was nowhere as cold as the outdoor temperatures or awful as the faux outrage projected by headlines or inciteful posters would hope to make it.
They plan it again for next year.