PDA

View Full Version : Heartwarming - Secret Santa picks up 3 layaway bills

red states rule
12-09-2011, 03:28 AM
This is what Christmas is all about

Christmas came early for three people in West Michigan when a stranger picked up the tab on some presents.

It happened Monday night at the Big Kmart on the 4000 block of Plainfield Avenue in Plainfield Township. A woman, described only as "being in her 30s," walked up to the layaway desk, pushing a shopping cart full of toys she planned to donate.

"This lady came up randomly and said, 'Can I, you know, pay off some people's layaway?'" said Dannell Goddard. Goddard works at Kmart in the layaway department. She told 24 Hour News 8 that when she first heard the request, she was a bit confused.

"I was like, 'Well, are you trying to pick them up? 'Cause you can't pick them up if you don't have an ID," Goddard said. "And [the mystery woman] replied, 'Nope, I just want to help people.'"

The woman looked through several of the about 800 layaway contract tickets at the store. She randomly picked and paid the bill on three of them. She paid about $500 between all three of them and left a $10 balance on each of the accounts.

The woman's only requirement was that there were toys in the layaway orders.

"It was really crazy the way she did it. She was so excited and so happy to do it," said Goddard. "She had a great heart, and I told her that I felt like she had a great heart, and she said she doesn't want to take appreciation for it. She just felt that she was blessed and she wanted to bless others."

One of the recipients of that kindness was Mary Chapin. She told 24 Hour News 8 the act of kindness "restored her faith in people."

Chapin had put about $200 worth of toys on layaway for her son, David, Monday afternoon. She said she hoped she'd be able to pay off the balance by the week before Christmas.

Then she got a call from Kmart that changed all that.

"They said that someone had paid $180 on my layaway and there was only $10 left," said Chapin. "I thought it was a joke."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/grand_rapids/Secret-Santa-pays-off-layaway-balances

Shadow
12-14-2011, 09:34 AM
Kind of a cool thing to do. Hopefully the families she helped out are truly needy,but more than likely she did this for mainly for herself anyway. It feels good to give and feel like you made someones day a little brighter....load a little lighter. Kinda nice when you hear stories like this,at a time when our society seems to have gotten so self centered and selfish.

PostmodernProphet
12-14-2011, 09:46 AM
that time in our mortal lives when we come closest to understanding being "Christlike" is when we do something for someone else that generates nothing at all for ourselves......