PDA

View Full Version : Florida Lawmaker Proposes Bill to Eliminate Middle School Physical Education Requirem

Shadow
12-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Florida children in grades six through eight are required under current law to take one semester of physical education every year, but the state is now considering a bill (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=47319) to eliminate that mandatory class.
The bill's sponsor, Republican State Rep. Larry Metz, said in an email to ABC News that one of the main reasons behind the proposed law is to leave the decision to offer physical education up to local school districts, not the state. He is not opposed to physical education, he said, and the bill would not affect the current physical education requirement in elementary schools.
"Simply because an idea may have merit for some does not mean that we should use the power of government to mandate it for all," Metz wrote. "Some physically fit and active middle school students might rather use that time in their school day to take another elective."

He added that it was difficult for some schools to accommodate the additional time required for physical education while trying to focus on academic achievement. It would have required lengthening the school day, in some cases, and there was no "additional funding" to do that.
"Since this mandate was passed, K-12 education funding has been significantly reduced," Metz said. "In the current declining revenue environment, I believe it is only fair that some mandates on school districts be removed."
But nutritionists, pediatricians and the American Heart Association (http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/) are all speaking out against the bill, saying that with obesity (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/obesity-rates-projected-soar-report/story?id=14381466) affecting 30 percent of the nation's children, cutting back on physical education is dangerous.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/florida-lawmaker-eliminate-mandatory-physical-education-middle-schools/story?id=15112856

I just noticed that the last part of the word requirement got cut off when I copied and pasted...sorry about that.

Anyway...after the article about the 200 lb boy being taken from his homw...I thought this article was interesting. Taking away the little excercise some kids may get during theday. Do they care about weight issues or not?

Nukeman
12-09-2011, 08:43 AM
Florida children in grades six through eight are required under current law to take one semester of physical education every year, but the state is now considering a bill (http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=47319) to eliminate that mandatory class.
The bill's sponsor, Republican State Rep. Larry Metz, said in an email to ABC News that one of the main reasons behind the proposed law is to leave the decision to offer physical education up to local school districts, not the state. He is not opposed to physical education, he said, and the bill would not affect the current physical education requirement in elementary schools.
"Simply because an idea may have merit for some does not mean that we should use the power of government to mandate it for all," Metz wrote. "Some physically fit and active middle school students might rather use that time in their school day to take another elective."

He added that it was difficult for some schools to accommodate the additional time required for physical education while trying to focus on academic achievement. It would have required lengthening the school day, in some cases, and there was no "additional funding" to do that.
"Since this mandate was passed, K-12 education funding has been significantly reduced," Metz said. "In the current declining revenue environment, I believe it is only fair that some mandates on school districts be removed."
But nutritionists, pediatricians and the American Heart Association (http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/) are all speaking out against the bill, saying that with obesity (http://abcnews.go.com/Health/Wellness/obesity-rates-projected-soar-report/story?id=14381466) affecting 30 percent of the nation's children, cutting back on physical education is dangerous.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/florida-lawmaker-eliminate-mandatory-physical-education-middle-schools/story?id=15112856

I just noticed that the last part of the word requirement got cut off when I copied and pasted...sorry about that.

Anyway...after the article about the 200 lb boy being taken from his homw...I thought this article was interesting. Taking away the little excercise some kids may get during theday. Do they care about weight issues or not?

Although I agree with you, I really don't see the need for "gym" classes. You really don't get any real physical activity in them, also it is not the schools responsibilty to make sure your child is getting enough exercise... that is YOUR job not theirs..

Parents need to quit with the "ohh the schools should be taking care of my children"... NO schools need to get to basics, and gym is not one of those.. The kids who are going to be overweight will be overweight with or without gym class.... Simple as that..

ConHog
12-09-2011, 12:27 PM
Although I agree with you, I really don't see the need for "gym" classes. You really don't get any real physical activity in them, also it is not the schools responsibilty to make sure your child is getting enough exercise... that is YOUR job not theirs..

Parents need to quit with the "ohh the schools should be taking care of my children"... NO schools need to get to basics, and gym is not one of those.. The kids who are going to be overweight will be overweight with or without gym class.... Simple as that..

Actually, studies have shown that a child who is physically fit will generally be a better student.

Also, and this is a biggie to teachers I have talked to about this, kids who take PE courses tend to bleed off excess energy in them and be calmer in the classroom.

Nukeman
12-09-2011, 01:05 PM
Actually, studies have shown that a child who is physically fit will generally be a better student.

Also, and this is a biggie to teachers I have talked to about this, kids who take PE courses tend to bleed off excess energy in them and be calmer in the classroom.Never stated otherwise, however; it really is not the schools place to mandate physical education. It is the place of the parent to make sure thier child is active and not sitting in front of the computer or video game all day.

As for the "biggie" for teachers maybe they should leave some time for recess. You know that thing we used to have during school to burn off excess energy (I had 3 during the day). I have noted over the past 30 years or so that most schools have shortened th school day and all but eliminated recess. If the schools would just add 30 minutes to the day and make 2 15 minute recess I think you would see a drop in class room antics and better students. As it is now there is approx 6.5 hours of classroom contact and only 15 minute after lunch for recess.

ConHog
12-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Never stated otherwise, however; it really is not the schools place to mandate physical education. It is the place of the parent to make sure thier child is active and not sitting in front of the computer or video game all day.

As for the "biggie" for teachers maybe they should leave some time for recess. You know that thing we used to have during school to burn off excess energy (I had 3 during the day). I have noted over the past 30 years or so that most schools have shortened th school day and all but eliminated recess. If the schools would just add 30 minutes to the day and make 2 15 minute recess I think you would see a drop in class room antics and better students. As it is now there is approx 6.5 hours of classroom contact and only 15 minute after lunch for recess.

I don't guess I've ever seen a school with recess at the junior high school level.

Nukeman
12-09-2011, 02:15 PM
I don't guess I've ever seen a school with recess at the junior high school level.Most states include 6th grade as middle school but they are treated differently then the 7th and 8th graders. By the time a student reaches 7th and 8th they shouldn't need the recess, that was for younger students. The junior high kids are beyond needing that outlet (at least most of them are). Back on topic I don't see why the school system should be mandated with doing what the parent should do, unless of course you're saying the school should be doing the parents job by making sure the child is active??

ConHog
12-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Most states include 6th grade as middle school but they are treated differently then the 7th and 8th graders. By the time a student reaches 7th and 8th they shouldn't need the recess, that was for younger students. The junior high kids are beyond needing that outlet (at least most of them are). Back on topic I don't see why the school system should be mandated with doing what the parent should do, unless of course you're saying the school should be doing the parents job by making sure the child is active??

I'm saying that having a child do some physical activity during the day is beneficial to the school's goal of educating children. It's a parents job to feed their children as well, but studies have shown that students who get a hot lunch at school perform better then those who do not. So schools feed students.

And that isn't even discussing the social skills, motor skills, and other things that ARE learned in PE class. Unless you're PE teacher is just a bump on a log who isn't actually teaching anything, in which case your problem is something other than PE.

Nukeman
12-10-2011, 11:27 AM
I'm saying that having a child do some physical activity during the day is beneficial to the school's goal of educating children. It's a parents job to feed their children as well, but studies have shown that students who get a hot lunch at school perform better then those who do not. So schools feed students.

And that isn't even discussing the social skills, motor skills, and other things that ARE learned in PE class. Unless you're PE teacher is just a bump on a log who isn't actually teaching anything, in which case your problem is something other than PE.I'm saying, that if the schools are short on funds since they have to take care of all the social concerns with these kids, maybe just maybe the parents can take some responsibility and have their kids be active on their own time.. If something has to be cut it should very well be a NON-ACADEMIC class.

Before you start on the benefits of physical activity again, I don't dispute those one bit, but when faced with budgetary constraints the first to go are the non-academics. Now if your saying that gym is more important, than math or science than I really feel sorry for the kids in your school district..

All of my kids are VERY active and they do exceptionally well in their school work, I will say that during the sports season they participate in, their concentration is better. This has NOTHING to do with the gym classes and everything to do with the AFTER SCHOOL activity they are involved in on THEIR time and mine...

I am sure your studies will point to the benefit of activity but I assure you it is based more on after school activity and less on the gym class. Those kids that do not participate in after school sports are more likely to be in trouble and cause problems..

You know what they say.... "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach, teach gym":laugh:

Shadow
12-10-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm saying, that if the schools are short on funds since they have to take care of all the social concerns with these kids, maybe just maybe the parents can take some responsibility and have their kids be active on their own time.. If something has to be cut it should very well be a NON-ACADEMIC class.

Before you start on the benefits of physical activity again, I don't dispute those one bit, but when faced with budgetary constraints the first to go are the non-academics. Now if your saying that gym is more important, than math or science than I really feel sorry for the kids in your school district..

All of my kids are VERY active and they do exceptionally well in their school work, I will say that during the sports season they participate in, their concentration is better. This has NOTHING to do with the gym classes and everything to do with the AFTER SCHOOL activity they are involved in on THEIR time and mine...

I am sure your studies will point to the benefit of activity but I assure you it is based more on after school activity and less on the gym class. Those kids that do not participate in after school sports are more likely to be in trouble and cause problems..

You know what they say.... "Those that can, do. Those that can't, teach. Those that can't teach, teach gym":laugh:

Not all children have the benefit of participating in after school sports. It's not exactly cheap and it requires A LOT of dedication and time on the parents part...and if the children are living with a single parent who works...then you are talking about the added question of availability to run them to and from practice and games several times a week.

My kids do both soccer and music...very costly and time consuming...at times almost TOO time consuming. It definately eats up a HUGE chunk of your free time outside work. And with uniform charges,soccer camp sessions,uniforms,music a person could go broke.

For kids with low income homes and no supervision...PE classes could be the best alternative. I think other things should be defunded first. Like all the extra asst principles my daughters school seems to employ for instance.

Kathianne
12-10-2011, 01:47 PM
I agree with Shadow on the administrative costs, which in many districts is certainly beyond the salary costs of however many gym teachers they have. With that said, having taught only in upper grades, middle and high school, gym is not the most effective way for kids to get 'exercise' or avoid obesity. It is though a major place to find bullying.

Save those administrative costs and use the money to fund intramural sports and the schools. Take some of it and provide musical instruments that can be checked out by kids with interest and/or talent, but no means of buying, renting instruments or lessons. Fund an arts program for kids without the wherewithal to develop those talents.

Increase the school day by 20 minutes and those minutes tied to lunch periods and a general 'outside' or 'field house' activity. As with all such 'free times' teachers would have assigned supervision duties. No increase cost to the school.

ConHog
12-10-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm saying, that if the schools are short on funds since they have to take care of all the social concerns with these kids, maybe just maybe the parents can take some responsibility and have their kids be active on their own time.. If something has to be cut it should very well be a NON-ACADEMIC class.

Absolutely if you are looking at cutting things to meet a budget you must consider what you have written. BUT, speaking as someone who actually looks at a school budget every year, PE classes are relatively cheap in the scheme of things. They usually take place in a building that would be there regardless of gym classes (IE a basketball arena) and are usually taught by a coach who would be on campus regardless of the PE classes (IE basketball coach) and so your additional costs are usually a slightly higher utilities bill in said building and a few rubber balls, jump ropes, and other sundry equipment.

Now, if you really wanted to cut costs, let's discuss the very after school activities you mentioned. I can assure you that very few schools don't operate their athletic teams in the red every year. BUT there again, there are various reasons why the teams are a positive for schools even though they operate in the red and in fact AFTER school events shouldn't be something a school is involved in at all.