PDA

View Full Version : Being sick really sucks...

Guernicaa
05-16-2007, 09:25 PM
I've had a fever that’s reached about 102 all day. It really sucks.

Been having really bad chills and aches all over my body.

But at least I can sleep in tomorrow and not do anything..!

But does anyone have "tips" to getting over a fever faster than usual??

I've done the typical "drink lots of fluids" stuff and taken Advil all day...But it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

shattered
05-16-2007, 09:27 PM

I've done the typical "drink lots of fluids" stuff and taken Advil all day...But it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Sure. Keep moving. If you don't give your body time to focus on itself, and "be sick", you'll get better that much quicker.

KitchenKitten99
05-16-2007, 09:57 PM
I've had a fever that’s reached about 102 all day...
ya know what the only prescription for a fever is, right?

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!

MtnBiker
05-16-2007, 11:19 PM
Sleep in as planned and get plenty of rest. Take a day off of arguing with conservatives that might be worth a degree or two. :D

Abbey Marie
05-17-2007, 12:03 AM
ya know what the only prescription for a fever is, right?

MORE COWBELL!!!!!!

:laugh2: love that!

MtnBiker
05-17-2007, 09:09 AM
More Cowbell!! http://www.ojaiwan.net/audio/cowbell.wmv

Doniston
05-17-2007, 09:35 AM

I've done the typical "drink lots of fluids" stuff and taken Advil all day...But it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Ever hear of a hot toddy? I make mine sonewhat differently from Vodka (I hate ,skotch, gin,etc) So I mix half Vodka, and half Honey and lennon juice. It ALWAYS does the job for me.

KarlMarx
05-17-2007, 11:46 AM

If it's caused by a virus, then there's nothing you can do except bear it.

dan
05-17-2007, 02:28 PM
Going along with Doniston, this is terrible advice to give, but getting drunk actually helps a lot. I don't know whether the alcohol kills whatever ails you or whether it just forces your system to clean itself out, but I've gotten rid of two colds that way.

Doniston
05-17-2007, 02:49 PM
Going along with Doniston, this is terrible advice to give, but getting drunk actually helps a lot. I don't know whether the alcohol kills whatever ails you or whether it just forces your system to clean itself out, but I've gotten rid of two colds that way. Course I didn't say ANYTHING about getting drunk. but the concotion does seem to work.

KitchenKitten99
05-17-2007, 06:55 PM
Course I didn't say ANYTHING about getting drunk. but the concotion does seem to work.
what do you think most cough medicines have in them? a form of alcohol. especially nyquil.

Doniston
05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
what do you think most cough medicines have in them? a form of alcohol. especially nyquil. True, but mine has never failed to work for me.

and I haven't had a flu shot in over 40 years, (when I did, I always got the flu).

Nienna
05-17-2007, 09:44 PM
If it's caused by a virus, then there's nothing you can do except bear it.

Just what I was thinking, Karl! You may not WANT to get over the fever; it's your body's immune response to the virus or bacteria that is invading it. Take a Motrin if you need to sleep, though. Drink plenty of fluids. Go see a doctor.

manu1959
05-17-2007, 10:12 PM
scotch...a hot shower....

KitchenKitten99
05-17-2007, 10:16 PM
or you could try the 'shower soothers'. It was the only thing that truly helped with a hot shower when I was pregnant and couldn't take anything for colds and sinus issues because of my blood pressure.

dan
05-18-2007, 10:14 AM
what do you think most cough medicines have in them? a form of alcohol. especially nyquil.

This reminds me, did anyone realize that drinking massive amounts of Robitussin (like, two bottles) supposedly has the same effects as taking acid? I was reading an article about how that's the new thing for kids to do.

KitchenKitten99
05-18-2007, 05:42 PM
This reminds me, did anyone realize that drinking massive amounts of Robitussin (like, two bottles) supposedly has the same effects as taking acid? I was reading an article about how that's the new thing for kids to do.

considering all the chemicals that are in them, I wouldn't doubt it. I hate to say it, but people who come up with ideas like that really should look into becoming bio-chemists. It would have never occurred to me to make meth out of sinus tablets, or get drunk off Nyquil, or get high like on acid by drinking loads of robitussin... it is sad that those who have that kind of creativity or even any kind of knowledge of stuff like that, are wasting it on making drugs to sell or get high when they could be making money doing essentially the same thing, but legally with a pharmaceutical research company. Kind of like taking con artists and hiring them to help catch the other cons.

dan
05-21-2007, 11:14 AM
considering all the chemicals that are in them, I wouldn't doubt it. I hate to say it, but people who come up with ideas like that really should look into becoming bio-chemists. It would have never occurred to me to make meth out of sinus tablets, or get drunk off Nyquil, or get high like on acid by drinking loads of robitussin... it is sad that those who have that kind of creativity or even any kind of knowledge of stuff like that, are wasting it on making drugs to sell or get high when they could be making money doing essentially the same thing, but legally with a pharmaceutical research company. Kind of like taking con artists and hiring them to help catch the other cons.

Yeah. Unfortunately, I think it's more just a matter of people so desperate to get wasted that they drink everything in the medicine cabinet until something works.

KitchenKitten99
05-21-2007, 11:59 AM

Thanks a lot... you gave it to me... now I feel like crap and I have two kids under age 4 to look after until 9pm tonight.

KitchenKitten99
05-23-2007, 11:08 AM
Nevermind, my bad. My 'sickness' is completely different. Definitely unlike anything I have ever had before.

Abbey Marie
05-23-2007, 12:33 PM
Nevermind, my bad. My 'sickness' is completely different. Definitely unlike anything I have ever had before.

Fuzzy? Is this your way of saying you are... with child?

JLO
05-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Soak in a cool bath. It helps to cool your entire body down, and if yu still have a fever afterward a cool washcloth helps a little, but really your fever is your bodys immune system working it will just take time. Let your body rest, but if your fever reaches 105 call 911! Cause your brain is boiling!

KitchenKitten99
05-23-2007, 12:46 PM
Fuzzy? Is this your way of saying you are... with child?

oh, good Lord no! That would definitely be more pleasant than what I have, but I would also be filing a malpractice suit on my OB for not tying me up properly! :laugh2: I can't have any more kids.

no, I have a bacterial infection in my tonsils and the lymph nodes in my throat. It is painful and dreadfully uncomfortable. Think of having strep throat with a double ear infection, but x3 or 4 as far as pain, fever, and all sorts of stuff.

I finally got antibiotics yesterday, and they are starting to work, but I still have difficulty talking without discomfort because of the swelling. I am also very congested and my ears are just now starting to drain. The dr. gave me some pain meds that take the pain away, but also make me dizzy and disoriented, so I have to stay in bed or at least sitting down as much as possible. This means I had to bail on the daycare kids this whole week on dr's orders. I feel totally bad for the parents, but there's nothing I can do about it at the moment. I do have a backup who I trust (Nathan & Ben's old daycare lady), but one of the moms is paranoid and won't utilize her, but then gives me grief about not having anyone else to watch her son when I am sick. Ugh. She's the one who is leaving as of 6/8, so I am not all that worried about her.

Abbey Marie
05-23-2007, 12:48 PM
That sounds pretty awful. Get better, Fuzzy!