PDA

View Full Version : Steelers James Harrison suspended 1 game

jimnyc
12-13-2011, 12:39 PM
Clearly he led with his helmet and made helmet to helmet contact with McCoy. I think he's a nasty person who lays it all out there on the field. He's definitely made some questionable hits on other players. But if he played back in the day with Bradshaw, Harris, Mean Joe, Lambert - he would make All-Pro, the Pro Bowl and a HOF ballot down the road. Now he gets fines close to $200,000 and now a suspension. Colt McCoy of the browns is a QB - but turned into a RB when he took off with the ball and is fair game, then lets up one second before Harrison gets to him and tosses the ball. But if he continued running in that direction it wouldn't have even been a penalty, but since he pulled up and became a QB it's not only a penalty, but a suspension. I would rather they go back to the old days when the QB was another player on the field. They claim to be so worried about concussions and helmet to helmet contact is out - if you're a QB. Do so to a running back and you get a pat on the butt. But yeah, I think Harrison had a split second to lower his tackle, or just push him - but he went through with it anyway. Follow the rules to the T and he's suspended, the rules are the rules. I don't know. I guess the flag was fair per the rules, and maybe a fine, but suspending guys now for playing good 'ol fashioned smash mouth football is lame.

Watch the play here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82503f17/article/steelers-lb-harrison-suspended-one-game-for-mccoy-hit?module=HP11_breaking_news

ConHog
12-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Clearly he led with his helmet and made helmet to helmet contact with McCoy. I think he's a nasty person who lays it all out there on the field. He's definitely made some questionable hits on other players. But if he played back in the day with Bradshaw, Harris, Mean Joe, Lambert - he would make All-Pro, the Pro Bowl and a HOF ballot down the road. Now he gets fines close to $200,000 and now a suspension. Colt McCoy of the browns is a QB - but turned into a RB when he took off with the ball and is fair game, then lets up one second before Harrison gets to him and tosses the ball. But if he continued running in that direction it wouldn't have even been a penalty, but since he pulled up and became a QB it's not only a penalty, but a suspension. I would rather they go back to the old days when the QB was another player on the field. They claim to be so worried about concussions and helmet to helmet contact is out - if you're a QB. Do so to a running back and you get a pat on the butt. But yeah, I think Harrison had a split second to lower his tackle, or just push him - but he went through with it anyway. Follow the rules to the T and he's suspended, the rules are the rules. I don't know. I guess the flag was fair per the rules, and maybe a fine, but suspending guys now for playing good 'ol fashioned smash mouth football is lame.

Watch the play here:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82503f17/article/steelers-lb-harrison-suspended-one-game-for-mccoy-hit?module=HP11_breaking_news

That guy is scum. The fines don't mean anything to these guys. Now maybe if they fined them a million dollars that would get their attention. yes, old smash mouth football that would have been a good hit, but then again it used to thought to be okay to smoke and lay out in the sun all day long. Now we know it is dangerous. And when this guy does it younger players do it and think its cool or whatever. Football is violent enough without manufacturing violence.

I do think they go too far in giving the QB extra protection though. I'd do away with the slide, for example.

jimnyc
12-13-2011, 12:51 PM
That guy is scum. The fines don't mean anything to these guys. Now maybe if they fined them a million dollars that would get their attention. yes, old smash mouth football that would have been a good hit, but then again it used to thought to be okay to smoke and lay out in the sun all day long. Now we know it is dangerous. And when this guy does it younger players do it and think its cool or whatever. Football is violent enough without manufacturing violence.

I do think they go too far in giving the QB extra protection though. I'd do away with the slide, for example.

Wow, the man is scum because of a hit that's against the rules? I judge his football playing and instincts, and whether certain hit deserve penalties, ejections, fines or suspensions - but I don't think I really know any of these players well enough as men to go that far.

ConHog
12-13-2011, 01:14 PM
Wow, the man is scum because of a hit that's against the rules? I judge his football playing and instincts, and whether certain hit deserve penalties, ejections, fines or suspensions - but I don't think I really know any of these players well enough as men to go that far.

No, he's scum b/c he's a Steeler. :laugh2:

Just kidding

Okay, perhaps scum is a little overboard, but I have very little respect for a guy who repeatedly breaks the rules and laughs about it.

jimnyc
12-13-2011, 01:48 PM
No, he's scum b/c he's a Steeler. :laugh2:

Just kidding

Okay, perhaps scum is a little overboard, but I have very little respect for a guy who repeatedly breaks the rules and laughs about it.

I don't think he "laughs" about it, but he has stated a few times that he planned on playing football the way he was always taught. While I would like to see that about all of football, he needs to learn that if the rules change, like them or not, he needs to follow them. I'm no necessarily defending him, just wishing that football was played the way it used to be. When I was younger, I was taught to cream the receiver the minute his fingers touched the ball, make him think twice about catching on my side of the field again. Now if you pop a receiver the second he touches it you are risking a penalty, fine or suspension.

ConHog
12-13-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't think he "laughs" about it, but he has stated a few times that he planned on playing football the way he was always taught. While I would like to see that about all of football, he needs to learn that if the rules change, like them or not, he needs to follow them. I'm no necessarily defending him, just wishing that football was played the way it used to be. When I was younger, I was taught to cream the receiver the minute his fingers touched the ball, make him think twice about catching on my side of the field again. Now if you pop a receiver the second he touches it you are risking a penalty, fine or suspension.

You're right about him needing to adjust to the rules.

I also agree with you about SOME of the rules being too PC.

jimnyc
12-13-2011, 07:44 PM

I take back what I said earlier. He replied later today with a message on his twitter stating just "Lol". I don't think he's laughing at breaking the rules, but rather at Goodell, but either way to do so publicly shows a lack of class. He should just give the obligatory apology, go to the Bahamas next week, and come back stronger.

ConHog
12-13-2011, 08:12 PM
I take back what I said earlier. He replied later today with a message on his twitter stating just "Lol". I don't think he's laughing at breaking the rules, but rather at Goodell, but either way to do so publicly shows a lack of class. He should just give the obligatory apology, go to the Bahamas next week, and come back stronger.

That's what I was getting at, these guys think its funny to get a little fine for breaking a rule. Now it IS funny when a guy like TO says "FU I'll celebrate a TD however I want, your fine means nothing to me" but it's different when you're talking about a rule designed to prevent serious injury.

logroller
12-19-2011, 05:28 AM
I watched the video. His head was up when the ball was thrown, then he lowered his helmet and squared it on Mccoy's chin. Pretty clear to me the intent was to cause harm. To say, "that's how I was taught to play ball"...yea well, I guess so. I mean, I was taught as a tight end to hold if I the block was absolutely necessary and i was gonna get beat; but its still against the rules, and when you get caught, its a penalty. I think the fines stem from the fact its happened repeatedly, not due to this incident alone.

jimnyc
12-19-2011, 11:09 AM
I watched the video. His head was up when the ball was thrown, then he lowered his helmet and squared it on Mccoy's chin. Pretty clear to me the intent was to cause harm. To say, "that's how I was taught to play ball"...yea well, I guess so. I mean, I was taught as a tight end to hold if I the block was absolutely necessary and i was gonna get beat; but its still against the rules, and when you get caught, its a penalty. I think the fines stem from the fact its happened repeatedly, not due to this incident alone.

Yep, no doubt he broke the written rules, and as a repeat offender he gets suspended. I just think the "new" rules suck. And you're comparing a holding penalty to a tackle that was legal since the beginning of football, well, at least till a couple of years ago. Still against the rules, I understand that, but it was a crap change. Taking the "physical" out of football is dumb. We were taught to hit QB's and WR's that way because it was always a legal and normal hit.

logroller
12-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Yep, no doubt he broke the written rules, and as a repeat offender he gets suspended. I just think the "new" rules suck. And you're comparing a holding penalty to a tackle that was legal since the beginning of football, well, at least till a couple of years ago. Still against the rules, I understand that, but it was a crap change. Taking the "physical" out of football is dumb. We were taught to hit QB's and WR's that way because it was always a legal and normal hit.

Is leading with the helmet not considered a spearing tackle? That was against the rules when I played in the nineties; so how new is it?

And "Physical" or violent? Its not the roman coliseum, but football's still plenty physical Jim, just with less neurological trauma; which I'm guessing is less devastating to people like Harrison, and probably why he's not a QB. Penalties and fines be damned, the fact he's not dead or in prison makes him a success, ... "LOL"

Besides, we're not talking about popwarner, its the NFL, a business; and from a business standpoint the rule makes sense. The NFL owners invest in their players, and don't want them killing or maiming each other. Not to mention they're who pay for treatment of resultant injuries. You can bet the players union cries about long-term care obligations from such things, gotta minimize liability somehow.

jimnyc
12-19-2011, 12:10 PM
Is leading with the helmet not considered a spearing tackle? That was against the rules when I played in the nineties; so how new is it?

And "Physical" or violent? Its not the roman coliseum, but football's still plenty physical Jim, just with less neurological trauma; which I'm guessing is less devastating to people like Harrison, and probably why he's not a QB. Penalties and fines be damned, the fact he's not dead or in prison makes him a success, ... "LOL"

Besides, we're not talking about popwarner, its the NFL, a business; and from a business standpoint the rule makes sense. The NFL owners invest in their players, and don't want them killing or maiming each other. Not to mention they're who pay for treatment of resultant injuries. You can bet the players union cries about long-term care obligations from such things, gotta minimize liability somehow.

Spearing never was a penalty in the NFL while it was in younger leagues like Pop Warner. Helmet to helmet hits have been happening for over 75 years in professional football before the rule change. Holding has been a penalty since day one.

And if it's protecting ALL players as they tell us - then why is it ok to hit RB's helmet to helmet until their heads pop off? Is the trauma ok for a RB but a games suspension worth if you do so to a QB?

But like I said, I understand the rule as reading it, and he did break it, multiple times, hence the suspension - but it WAS regular 'ol football for years and years and years - including the way Harrison was taught to play, even as far as to when he made it to the NFL. But that doesn't mean he can ignore changes.

Gunny
12-19-2011, 12:17 PM

Watch the play here:

It's bullshit. There's no reason to be mean, but I know if I played football today like I did when I was a kid, I'd spend most of my time in trouble.

I completely agree. The QB is another tar-errr--player:) Don't have the stones? Stay off the field.

Gunny
12-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Like I said ... if you ain't got the stones, stay off the field.

I used to be an AVID NFL fan. I've probably seen 4 games (Pittsburgh whooping D's team's asses being one:poke:) in the past 10 years. The NFL sucks. It's about money now, not the game. When I was a kid, you could make more money as an auto mechanic. People played because they loved the game. Now, they just love the money.

jimnyc
12-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Like I said ... if you ain't got the stones, stay off the field.

I used to be an AVID NFL fan. I've probably seen 4 games (Pittsburgh whooping D's team's asses being one:poke:) in the past 10 years. The NFL sucks. It's about money now, not the game. When I was a kid, you could make more money as an auto mechanic. People played because they loved the game. Now, they just love the money.

Don't bail on the Steelers!! Yeah, times have changed, but still no better game in the world than football. I'll be watching til the day I croak! Steelers clinched a playoff spot yesterday, so we'll see at least 1 game from them in the playoffs this year!

Thunderknuckles
12-19-2011, 12:48 PM
:gs:

Gunny
12-19-2011, 12:49 PM
Don't bail on the Steelers!! Yeah, times have changed, but still no better game in the world than football. I'll be watching til the day I croak! Steelers clinched a playoff spot yesterday, so we'll see at least 1 game from them in the playoffs this year!

I love to play football. I was a Steelers fan when they were 1-11. Figure the odds on me bailing.

Off the top of my head ... that 73 defense was LC Greenwood, Joe Greene, Dwight White, Andy Russell, Mel Blount, John Rowser, Mike Wagner, Jack Ham, Davis, Glen Edwards ... and I forget the rest.

jimnyc
12-19-2011, 12:51 PM
:gs:

You a Steelers fan?? Did I know this already and forgot, or are you just sharing now? (sorry, my brain is dying!)

jimnyc
12-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I love to play football. I was a Steelers fan when they were 1-11. Figure the odds on me bailing.

Off the top of my head ... that 73 defense was LC Greenwood, Joe Greene, Dwight White, Andy Russell, Mel Blount, John Rowser, Mike Wagner, Jack Ham, Davis, Glen Edwards ... and I forget the rest.

Lambert? or was he not there yet? I think he was but too lazy to verify! Imagine Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Greenwood and Greene playing today? They'd all get lifetime suspensions for their mean and nasty hits to the QB!! Instead of lifetime suspensions, they got invited to the Hall of Fame for their hits!

Gunny
12-19-2011, 12:57 PM
Lambert? or was he not there yet? I think he was but too lazy to verify! Imagine Jack Lambert, Jack Ham, Greenwood and Greene playing today? They'd all get lifetime suspensions for their mean and nasty hits to the QB!! Instead of lifetime suspensions, they got invited to the Hall of Fame for their hits!

Lambert came in 74 or 75. Henry Davis was the MLB.

They'd all be suspended nowadays. They played football unlike the ballerina bullshit they got going now where no one even knows how to secure a tackle.

jimnyc
12-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Lambert came in 74 or 75. Henry Davis was the MLB.

They'd all be suspended nowadays. They played football unlike the ballerina bullshit they got going now where no one even knows how to secure a tackle.

Must have been 74, as I know he has 4 SB rings!

Gunny
12-19-2011, 01:11 PM
Must have been 74, as I know he has 4 SB rings!

Hmmm ... his rookie year was arguably the best Steelers team ever and they got knocked out of the playoffs due to injuries. Lambert replaced Davis when Davis got injured and he played in the Steeler's first SB when they whooped the Vikings.

Thunderknuckles
12-19-2011, 01:38 PM
You a Steelers fan?? Did I know this already and forgot, or are you just sharing now? (sorry, my brain is dying!)
I mentioned it to you before but it was a while back. I liked them since the late 70's. Became a stalwart fan after Super Bowl XIV, although I admit to having a brief affair with the Bengals after being lured into an "Ickey Shuffle" a time or two. I really feel dirty now :D

Gunny
12-19-2011, 01:40 PM
I mentioned it to you before but it was a while back. I liked them since the late 70's. Became a stalwart fan after Super Bowl XIV, although I admit to having a brief affair with the Bengals after being lured into an "Ickey Shuffle" a time or two. I really feel dirty now :D

Oh ...so we had an affair with the Bengals (traitorous swine)? SUre you don't want to jump on that championship Browns wagon too?