PDA

View Full Version : Eggnog: It's not just for the punch bowl

Shadow
12-13-2011, 10:42 PM
I actually use Egg Nog during the holidays to make french toast (intead of milk)...it's very good. This was an interesting article that gave other ideas for using Egg Nog (and recipes)...even incorporating alcohol.

Eggnog doesn’t usually stray from being spiked with booze and typically served at holiday parties in large crystal bowls. But chefs have taken a new look at the stuff and have incorporated it into dishes deviating from the liquid party punch. In Boston’s 606 Congress, chef Richard Garcia said he started incorporating eggnog in his winter dishes about five years ago when he made eggnog flan. “That was one of the best-selling desserts,” he says. “Eggnog is one of those forgotten, but distinct, ingredients.”
Since then, Garcia has moved up from sweets and started using eggnog in his savory dishes, including this year’s creation, a cider glazed pork belly with pumpkin gnocchi that gets coated in eggnog froth. “It’s one of the ingredients that a good chef will look at and figure out what to do,” said Garcia. “It’s no harder than any other cooking ingredient, but you really only think about it one month out of the year.”

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/13/9393961-eggnog-its-not-just-for-the-punch-bowl

One of the three recipes offered at link

Chicory eggnog custard
By Ken Oringer

6 eggs at room temperature
6 Tbs powdered sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 pint Ponche de Santo Antao Rum or any dark rum
2 pint heavy cream
1 pint half and half
1/2 cup chicory extract
6 Tbs chicory granules
5 Tbs vanilla extract
2 Tbs coffee extract
6 star anise, finely ground
Ground nutmeg to taste
Separate egg whites and egg yolks into two bowls. Pour cream, vanilla extract, chicory extract, chicory granules and star anise into a third bowl and whip until just thickened. Pour granulated sugar over egg yolks and whisk until the yolks become a light yellow color, add rum and whisk. Pour egg mixture into cream and incorporate.

Using a whisk, whip egg whites until frothy. Add powdered sugar into egg whites and whisk until medium peaks form. Add egg whites to the cream mixture and whisk until smooth and thick. Add half and half and whisk until thick. Refrigerate for at least half-an-hour before serving. Custard is a loose-style so won’t firm too much.

When serving, garnish with chicory granules and freshly ground nutmeg.

Gaffer
12-14-2011, 11:55 AM
I keep a gallon or two of eggnog in the fridge a much as possible. I drink it as it is, don't add anything. I wish it was sold all year round, but come Jan. it will disappear from the shelves.

ConHog
12-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I keep a gallon or two of eggnog in the fridge a much as possible. I drink it as it is, don't add anything. I wish it was sold all year round, but come Jan. it will disappear from the shelves.

Make your own

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2/index.html

awesome stuff.