PDA

View Full Version : Lowe's Caves Into Anti-Muslim Pressure

chloe
12-14-2011, 05:53 PM
he program is titled All-American Muslim, and as you can see from the trailer, the people on it are so all-American that the show threatens to be kind of boring. (Yes, I realize that avoiding "boring" is why reality TV veers toward exploitation. It's the unsolvable dilemma of the genre.) The show portrays a number of Muslim families in Dearborn, Mich., as they go about their lives of doing ordinary jobs, engaging in ordinary family conflicts, and having ordinary hobbies.

For nonbigoted America, it's not much of a revelation that Muslim-Americans are ordinary people who just happen to have an arbitrary set of religious customs that are mildly different than those of Christians. Christian-right organizers, however, see the show as a serious threat.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2011/12/12/lowe_s_pulls_ads_from_all_american_muslim_under_pr essure_from_christian_conservatives_.html

I will watch it I just read a book about American Arabs it was pretty interesting.

Gaffer
12-14-2011, 06:46 PM
63 other advertisers have also pulled their ads from the show.

I haven't watched the show and have no interest, but from what I have read it is a non-practicing muslim family going about their daily life.

MtnBiker
12-14-2011, 07:31 PM
Lowes statement:

"Lowe's has received a significant amount of communication on this program, from every perspective possible. Individuals and groups have strong political and societal views on this topic, and this program became a lightning rod for many of those views. As a result we did pull our advertising on this program," the company said in a statement Saturday.
"We believe it is best to respectfully defer to communities, individuals and groups to discuss and consider such issues of importance."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/11/showbiz/all-american-muslim-lowes/index.html

Slate would like to frame the story as Lowe's being "anti-muslim", but one could argue that Lowe's just did not want to be involved in a show that generates pointed political discourse.

Thunderknuckles
12-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Stupid show. It's like following Wayne Brady around to showcase the hard core realities of being black in America :p
You'll never see a reality show with active Muslims being followed around including taping what goes on inside their Mosques.

Gaffer
12-14-2011, 08:34 PM
It appears to be propaganda piece to paint muslims in a good light. A hizbollah production.

chloe
12-15-2011, 10:25 AM

I haven't watched the show and have no interest, but from what I have read it is a non-practicing muslim family going about their daily life.

What if it was a show on jews, would they have pulled out too?

Thunderknuckles
12-15-2011, 11:09 AM
What if it was a show on jews, would they have pulled out too?
Probably not.

ConHog
12-15-2011, 11:16 AM
Stupid show. It's like following Wayne Brady around to showcase the hard core realities of being black in America :p
You'll never see a reality show with active Muslims being followed around including taping what goes on inside their Mosques.

Yep, Now if they had a show about the everyday life of an AQ member , that would be worth watching.

chloe
12-15-2011, 12:32 PM
Probably not.

who runs the media anyway:laugh2:

LuvRPgrl
12-15-2011, 12:37 PM
http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2011/12/12/lowe_s_pulls_ads_from_all_american_muslim_under_pr essure_from_christian_conservatives_.html

I will watch it I just read a book about American Arabs it was pretty interesting.

In WWII, there were lots of germans going about their daily business, while the gestapo herded millions of jews into box cars on freight trains.....
its a propaganda piece.

chloe
12-15-2011, 12:39 PM
In WWII, there were lots of germans going about their daily business, while the gestapo herded millions of jews into box cars on freight trains.....
its a propaganda piece.

after 9/11 lots of arab americans were herded to detention camps while other americans went about there daily business

ConHog
12-15-2011, 12:58 PM
after 9/11 lots of arab americans were herded to detention camps while other americans went about there daily business

No there weren't. Now during WWII innocent AMericans were definately herded into detention camps based on nothing more than their nationality. But not after 9/11.

chloe
12-15-2011, 01:01 PM
No there weren't. Now during WWII innocent AMericans were definately herded into detention camps based on nothing more than their nationality. But not after 9/11.

There were just because it was not on the nightly news does not mean that it didn't happen.

http://amperspective.com/Islam_and_Muslims_in_Post_9-11_America.pdf

LuvRPgrl
12-15-2011, 01:58 PM
There were just because it was not on the nightly news does not mean that it didn't happen.

You are right, just because it isnt reported widely, doesnt mean it didnt happen.
But you have your analogy backwards.
Even if they did herd them into camps, it still doesnt make the arabs who go about their daily business completely unculpable.

ConHog
12-15-2011, 03:56 PM

I only glanced through your PDF , but I didn't see reference to internment camps. Page number please?

gabosaurus
12-15-2011, 04:03 PM
Because a show about Muslims is soooo offensive. I am guessing the same people opposed to this show don't want to programs about blacks. Or Latino.
But I bet they are happy to watch programs where gun lovers slaughter people in the streets. More American.

ConHog
12-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Because a show about Muslims is soooo offensive. I am guessing the same people opposed to this show don't want to programs about blacks. Or Latino.
But I bet they are happy to watch programs where gun lovers slaughter people in the streets. More American.

I already said I'd watch a show about everyday AQ members , duh!!

revelarts
12-15-2011, 04:34 PM
It's hard to think of any TV shows that I'd feel morally good about promoting.
If I was just thinking about reaching an audience via advertising i might Advertise on some if they werern't to disagreeable but i can hardly watch too many programs for 10 minites without having to turn um off.

chloe
12-15-2011, 07:46 PM
I only glanced through your PDF , but I didn't see reference to internment camps. Page number please?

pdf pg. 72

I said detention camps the same places that illegals go.

here's rashas story

http://nymag.com/news/features/48931/index1.html

Gunny
12-15-2011, 08:52 PM

Yeah, it rates right up there with American Pickers, Wild Horse Saloon, and Lizard Lick Towing. Not sure which one is more "real". Media manipulation of the masses.

chloe
12-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah, it rates right up there with American Pickers, Wild Horse Saloon, and Lizard Lick Towing. Not sure which one is more "real". Media manipulation of the masses.

oh I like pawn stars:laugh:

ConHog
12-15-2011, 09:10 PM

Hardcore Pawn is funnier.

Gunny
12-15-2011, 09:12 PM

If it weren't for World's Dumbest and Most Daring, that channel wouldn't get my business. At least those are REAL videos. Those other so-called "reality" shows annoy me. I question daily why I pay for cable. The answer is: for the internet.:laugh:

LuvRPgrl
12-16-2011, 02:24 AM
Because a show about Muslims is soooo offensive. I am guessing the same people opposed to this show don't want to programs about blacks. Or Latino. .

GUESSING, You got that part right.
Which "people" are you suggesting oppose shows about blacks, etc. The sponsors, the viewers?
Yea, a good blood bath is always entertaning.
In the streets? How about 3,000 plus people being murdered in a pair of tall buildings

LuvRPgrl
12-16-2011, 02:24 AM

which one?

red states rule
12-16-2011, 08:27 AM

Or libs who are red faced hysteria over a NFL QB who drops to his knees and thanks God after every TD, and who made a pro life ad with his mom

BTW Gabby what is with all the shootings in CA? I thought by now all you "smart people" whould have enacted all the gun laws needed to "protect" the folks from the gun nuts

Gunny
12-16-2011, 08:31 AM

It's STOOOOPID. Just like a show about you would be.

Gunny
12-16-2011, 08:32 AM
GUESSING, You got that part right.
Which "people" are you suggesting oppose shows about blacks, etc. The sponsors, the viewers?
Yea, a good blood bath is always entertaning.
In the streets? How about 3,000 plus people being murdered in a pair of tall buildings

I oppose ANY show that portrays aberrant behavior as normal.

red states rule
12-16-2011, 08:37 AM
It's STOOOOPID. Just like a show about you would be.

and to think Gabby works with at risk kids

Seems to be the kids are at risk simply having to deal with her

LuvRPgrl
12-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I oppose ANY show that portrays aberrant behavior as normal.thats one of the best points ever made on the topic
people coomplain all the time about too much sex and violence in movies,e tc, but in and of itself, those topics are not bad or good, its how its portrayed, is it glorified or not.
....A great example is of the homos who are on tv, they always portray them as being much happier and adjusted than any homo I have ever known

red states rule
12-16-2011, 12:01 PM
thats one of the best points ever made on the topic
people coomplain all the time about too much sex and violence in movies,e tc, but in and of itself, those topics are not bad or good, its how its portrayed, is it glorified or not.
....A great example is of the homos who are on tv, they always portray them as being much happier and adjusted than any homo I have ever known

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LuvRPgrl again.

jimnyc
12-16-2011, 12:13 PM

Yep, it's simply for "show". They might have been born Muslim, but I assure you, what you see on your TV screen is no practicing Muslim. I saw a picture of one of the girls on a celebrity site this morning, and let's just say her and her VERY tight sweater were showing off what Allah blessed her with. No practicing Muslim would do that. In any Muslim country she would be caned or stoned for dressing in that manner. Also, no practicing Muslim is going to allow themselves to be continually taped for TV and make money off of their Muslim lifestyle.

It wouldn't surprise me if some fatwah's or jihad's are sent out against them from "real" Muslims.

chloe
12-16-2011, 12:16 PM
Yep, it's simply for "show". They might have been born Muslim, but I assure you, what you see on your TV screen is no practicing Muslim. I saw a picture of one of the girls on a celebrity site this morning, and let's just say her and her VERY tight sweater were showing off what Allah blessed her with. No practicing Muslim would do that. In any Muslim country she would be caned or stoned for dressing in that manner. Also, no practicing Muslim is going to allow themselves to be continually taped for TV and make money off of their Muslim lifestyle.

It wouldn't surprise me if some fatwah's or jihad's are sent out against them from "real" Muslims.

Americanized Muslims are well...more american then religious

jimnyc
12-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Americanized Muslims are well...more american then religious

Yes ma'am!

I am friends with a handful of Muslims, and they are HIGHLY offended by this show. But they are all from elsewhere and all came to the US within the last 10-15 years from; Jordan, Morocco, Iran & Algeria. And they are all very religious.

chloe
12-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Yes ma'am!

I am friends with a handful of Muslims, and they are HIGHLY offended by this show. But they are all from elsewhere and all came to the US within the last 10-15 years from; Jordan, Morocco, Iran & Algeria. And they are all very religious.

I had to do a group project on arab americans for my race and ethnicity class. But pretty much everyone in my group bailed out on me except one girl, so instead of psoters or powerpoint we made a short film about it, it was really fun and interesting.

LuvRPgrl
12-16-2011, 06:01 PM

To call all of them "everyday muslims" is dishonest at best.
Like you say above, they are not acting how a muslim woman is expected to act.
And to say they dont do anything to promote terrorism, those people need to look again:
"So you're watching a soccer game in Dearborn, Mich., between al-Tadamon and Chelsea, a game that was advertised in public leaflets and on the Arab-American website (http://www.arabamericannews.com/Arabic/index.php?mod=article&cat=%D9%85%D9%86%D9%88%D8%B9%D8%A7%D8%AA&article=3909). It was dedicated to something termed “The Day of Jerusalem.” The thought of incorporating such a slogan into promotional material about a sporting event puzzles you. What is this Day of Jerusalem all about? Later, you discover that the game was hosted by Husham Al-Husainy (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#)​—the main spiritual leader of the Karbala Center in Dearborn—who was thanked by Samir Al-Jabiri and Mohammed Ali al-Hasani, who said the victory was “dedicated to honor the souls of the martyrs of Jerusalem and al-Aqsa.”

These are clearly terrorists who murder civilians. Such a dedication should spawn outrage, but it did not.

The sound of silence in response to such a thing echoed throughout Dearborn's Muslim community. Why did no one object to such hatred, religious bigotry and open support for terrorism?

Husham Al-Husainy is not just the imam at Dearborn's Karbala Center. He is also featured in "All-American Muslim," which airs on The Learning Channel (TLC). In the program, Al-Husainy is seen presiding over marriages within Muslim families in Dearborn, whose day-to-day lives are portrayed as they interact in English."

http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=48166