PDA

View Full Version : Seat Belts, Smoking, Light Bulbs, Now Cell Phones...

Kathianne
12-14-2011, 08:54 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/distracted-driving-or-distracted-policymaking-why-the-proposed-car-cellphone-ban-is-wrong-6617334?click=pm_latest
Beyond the slippery slope:

Distracted Driving or Distracted Policymaking? Why the Proposed Car Cellphone Ban Is Wrong No, you shouldn’t text while you drive. But is talking on a hands-free cellphone just as dangerous? Instapundit blogger and PM contributing editor Glenn Harlan Reynolds doesn’t think so, and he argues that the National Transportation Safety Board’s proposal that drivers should be banned from using portable electronic devices is a major stretch of the facts.

Gaffer
12-14-2011, 09:14 PM
It's a states decision. The feds have no business in it. Another unconstitutional mandate.

Missileman
12-14-2011, 09:19 PM
http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/distracted-driving-or-distracted-policymaking-why-the-proposed-car-cellphone-ban-is-wrong-6617334?click=pm_latest

It's about time!

Check out the study these folks did: http://www.distraction.gov/research/PDF-Files/Comparison-of-CellPhone-Driver-Drunk-Driver.pdf

red states rule
12-15-2011, 04:25 AM
http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/cb121411dAPR20111215124541.jpg

red states rule
12-18-2011, 09:15 AM

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/payn_c9462620111217120100.jpg

Kathianne
12-18-2011, 10:27 AM
It's a states decision. The feds have no business in it. Another unconstitutional mandate.

My point exactly. This is not a decree that should be made 'from on high.' I live in a state that already has enacted severe restrictions on cell phone use and they are enforcing where they can. That is another problem, how to enforce BEFORE an incident occurs.

Still, if people and politicians want these regulations it should be coming from the state legislatures, not Congress.

red states rule
12-18-2011, 10:32 AM
My point exactly. This is not a decree that should be made 'from on high.' I live in a state that already has enacted severe restrictions on cell phone use and they are enforcing where they can. That is another problem, how to enforce BEFORE an incident occurs.

Still, if people and politicians want these regulations it should be coming from the state legislatures, not Congress.

On New Years Eve I am putting 100 watt light bulbs in EVERY outlit and turning every damn one at midnight

Yes, the 100 watters will STAY in every outlit year round

ConHog
12-18-2011, 04:11 PM
On New Years Eve I am putting 100 watt light bulbs in EVERY outlit and turning every damn one at midnight

Yes, the 100 watters will STAY in every outlit year round

That will teach them.....

ConHog
12-18-2011, 04:14 PM

I agree with you, BUT as long as states take federal funding for highways , the feds are going to feel like they have the right to legislate. And they may be right, for instance I certainly think that people who are on welfare should live their lives according to rules set by the government.

as for cel phohes themselves, I have seen studies which indicate that the hands free devices are no safer than the handset cel phones to use while driving.

On the other hand, nearly manufacture now builds cell phones into their cars, so how is that any different than an aftermarket setup?

sundaydriver
12-18-2011, 04:51 PM
It's been almost an hour now since since another idiot woman ( 95% of the time) in an SUV suddenly turned in front of me without a signal because of that damn phone held to her ear. We don't need a ban... Just let me shove that phone up that next idiots ass that involves me in a near miss for their conversational convenience! :death:

red states rule
12-19-2011, 05:38 AM
That will teach them.....

Considering it is my place, and I pay the light bill - I will do as I damn well please

If that is OK with you oh magnificent one :lol:

(Not that I give a damn what YOU think)

logroller
12-19-2011, 06:06 AM
Considering it is my place, and I pay the light bill - I will do as I damn well please

That'll teach him...

Seriously though, say one side of street uses 5 times the electricity as the other side of street, and distribution upgrades become necessary--every customer foots that bill, even those who don't use that much. Being conservative doesn't mean you act with reckless abandon because "you pay the bill", its rarely as simple as one wishes to believe. Indeed many, if not most, progressive laws gain traction because people act without regard to how their actions affect others. Typically, free market mechanisms correct behavior like excessive electrical use; but I can tell you the baselines don't account for such things as number of people in the household, size of house etc. So that you, single in a home has the same allotment of electricity as the family of five next door-- Therefore you have less incentive to conserve based on purely fiscal reasoning, a free market failure. I would encourage you to do so anyways based on the ethical responsibility to conserve a resource and to minimize the external costs of electrical generation and distribution, but as you said "I will do as I damn well please." At such times, government is often petitioned to compel persons such as yourself to conserve. So in effect, you fostered the environment necessary for progressive reform-- Is that OK with you?

red states rule
12-19-2011, 06:12 AM
That'll teach him...

Seriously though, say one side of street uses 5 times the electricity as the other side of street, and distribution upgrades become necessary--every customer foots that bill, even those who don't use that much. Being conservative doesn't mean you act with reckless abandon because "you pay the bill", its rarely as simple as one wishes to believe. Indeed many, if not most, progressive laws gain traction because people act without regard to how their actions affect others. Typically, free market mechanisms correct behavior like excessive electrical use; but I can tell you the baselines don't account for such things as number of people in the household, size of house etc. So that you, single in a home has the same allotment of electricity as the family of five next door-- Therefore you have less incentive to conserve based on purely fiscal reasoning, a free market failure. I would encourage you to do so anyways based on the ethical responsibility to conserve a resource and to minimize the external costs of electrical generation and distribution, but as you said "I will do as I damn well please." At such times, government is often petitioned to compel persons such as yourself to conserve. So in effect, you fostered the environment necessary for progressive reform-- Is that OK with you?

This is only one result of the "compromise" and attotude to "work with" liberals

and meanwhile look at the end results of one of the classic toys for kids LR.

LR, as long as I am paying the light bill, I will suck up as much power as I want

OK?

For decades, little girls have sat patiently in front of their Easy-Bake ovens, waiting for the 100-watt light bulbs inside to bake brownies and cookies.

No more. A law signed by President George W. Bush calls for 100-watt light bulbs to be phased out next year in favor of energy-efficient versions. But the new bulbs are so energy efficient that they don't work in an Easy-Bake oven.

That created a dilemma for Hasbro (HAS) (http://investing.money.msn.com/investments/stock-price?Symbol=has), which makes the popular toy. Would the Easy-Bake go the way of the incandescent bulb?

The company decided instead to overhaul the Easy-Bake oven, removing the bulb completely.<!--EndofExcerptMarker--> Now, the ovens are bigger, more expensive and use a heating element similar to a traditional oven, the Associated Press reports (http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness-food/story/2011-09-14/Easy-Bake-loses-its-bulb-gets-a-makeover/50398642/1).

"This gave us a reason to do it completely differently," Hasbro executive Michelle Paolino told the AP. "We wanted it to look more like a real appliance, not a plastic toy."

And it does. The oven now has an art-deco look, with hues of grape and grey. It comes with a digital clock and can heat up to 375 degrees. It cooks Easy-Bake recipes in about 15 minutes' time.

The heating chamber is now about 50% larger, the AP reports. A new cooking pan can hold bigger treats. The oven's got a big price, too, at $49.99. The previous model was only $29.99.

The new model is the 11th redesign of the oven, which has already gone through major changes in its nearly 50-year history. The oven lost the light bulb once before in a 2003 version called the Real Meal Oven. But Hasbro brought back the bulb in the next overhaul.

But now the bulb is probably gone for good.

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=63a51720-5ffc-47a7-aa38-e98718eb0467

logroller
12-19-2011, 11:17 AM
This is only one result of the "compromise" and attotude to "work with" liberals

LR, as long as I am paying the light bill, I will suck up as much power as I want

OK?

As long as you're paying the bill, you should suck as little power as necessary; that makes more sense...to me anyways and most anyone with any fiscal sense. but of course i realize you can do otherwise, which can lead to an increased demand for progressive reform. Then you'll be paying for it anyways through your tax dollars, only you'll no longer be as capable of sucking up as much power as you want.

Let me give you an example. Personally I like incandescent bulbs, especially in bathroom vanities; but 8 bulbs @40W, its quite the expender of heat. Tied in with fact I have kids who don't pay the bill, they're less diligent about turning of the light; never mind there's also a fluorescent tied in with fan, its "too loud" So I installed a $25 timer that paid for itself in 60 days. I'm in CA, and there's this big push for alternatives like solar, and I tell them (salesmen) each and every time that the payback period for solar on my house at my current rate of consumption is 12 years. You see, I can conserve better then the government can; which is no surprise really, add to that the heightened cost of solar thanks to government subsidy, and the cost dynamic grows even more. But the onus is upon me to do those things; with rights come responsibilities.

RE: Easy Bake oven. Good. Now the prices on ebay will go up, and I can sell the one I have that's been used only once.

Gunny
12-19-2011, 12:26 PM

As one person said ... you might as well ban other drivers, the weather, traffic signals and signs, etc. ALL distract a driver. I figure if they even get this one to pass, it'll be like Prohibition.

Kathianne
12-19-2011, 12:29 PM
As one person said ... you might as well ban other drivers, the weather, traffic signals and signs, etc. ALL distract a driver. I figure if they even get this one to pass, it'll be like Prohibition.

Yep. Now personally, it seems to me only an idiot would fool with cell phone while driving, much less texting. Then again, same with putting on make-up, eating food, drinking beverages while driving. Good luck in legislating idiocy, but if the desire is there to try, let it come from the states, not the fed.

Gunny
12-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Yep. Now personally, it seems to me only an idiot would fool with cell phone while driving, much less texting. Then again, same with putting on make-up, eating food, drinking beverages while driving. Good luck in legislating idiocy, but if the desire is there to try, let it come from the states, not the fed.

I have no problem with banning texting while driving. That's ridiculous. I tried it once or twice. You CAN'T pay attention to the road and do it. Period. However, banning hands-free devices is ridiculous. The NTSB is trying to justify its worthless existence.

ConHog
12-19-2011, 09:08 PM

Of course its alright with me if you want to use faulty logic and cut of your nose to spite your face in order to teach a lesson to someone.

ConHog
12-19-2011, 09:13 PM

OK?

Glad they did away with the bulb. talk about a burn waiting to happen.

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 10:39 PM
I agree with you, BUT as long as states take federal funding for highways , the feds are going to feel like they have the right to legislate. And they may be right, for instance I certainly think that people who are on welfare should live their lives according to rules set by the government.

as for cel phohes themselves, I have seen studies which indicate that the hands free devices are no safer than the handset cel phones to use while driving.

On the other hand, nearly manufacture now builds cell phones into their cars, so how is that any different than an aftermarket setup?

BLACKMAILING states by refusing federal highways funds is wrong. those funds originally come from the states anyways.
Common sense tells you that a hand held phone is going to be more distracting than a hands free, I could care less how many studies you come up with that say otherwise.

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 10:40 PM
It's about time!

Check out the study these folks did: http://www.distraction.gov/research/PDF-Files/Comparison-of-CellPhone-Driver-Drunk-Driver.pdf

do you have a summation of that?

ConHog
12-19-2011, 10:43 PM
BLACKMAILING states by refusing federal highways funds is wrong. those funds originally come from the states anyways.
Common sense tells you that a hand held phone is going to be more distracting than a hands free, I could care less how many studies you come up with that say otherwise.

Not sure what you are screaming about. I happen to agree with you. I was jjust stating why the feds feel they can legislate.

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 10:47 PM
That'll teach him...

There are flaws in your premise, hence the conclusions are flawed also. For starters, charging differently for different amount of users, or usage is not a free market concept. You mentioned allotment, which is government dictated, prevents it from being a free market guide.

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Glad they did away with the bulb. talk about a burn waiting to happen.

I still buy and use them.

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Not sure what you are screaming about. I happen to agree with you. I was jjust stating why the feds feel they can legislate.

You said they might be right, so thats your opinion.
Are you going to give us a definitive on whether you think it is legal, and or right, and or good? Or are you going to be vague while trying to sound specific so you can alter your stance and argue from either side of the fence you want, and claim "I didnt say that" regardless of what anyone is trying to hold you to?>

ConHog
12-19-2011, 11:04 PM
You said they might be right, so thats your opinion.
Are you going to give us a definitive on whether you think it is legal, and or right, and or good? Or are you going to be vague while trying to sound specific so you can alter your stance and argue from either side of the fence you want, and claim "I didnt say that" regardless of what anyone is trying to hold you to?>

What kind of moron are you? I just said that I agree with you , and you come back asking me to take a stance?

Missileman
12-19-2011, 11:06 PM

It doesn't matter that hand held is more distracting than hands-free, it matters that even hands-free impairs driving more than drinking to legal limit.

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 11:12 PM
What kind of moron are you? I just said that I agree with you , and you come back asking me to take a stance?
You said, "the feds might be right"
of which I DISAGREE, GET IT?

LuvRPgrl
12-19-2011, 11:16 PM
It doesn't matter that hand held is more distracting than hands-free, it matters that even hands-free impairs driving more than drinking to legal limit.
WAS asking if that was the conclusion of your study.
But anyways, I dont care much what that study says if they are using the legal limit to decide intoxication. Its a joke what they consider it to be.

ConHog
12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
You said, "the feds might be right"
of which I DISAGREE, GET IT?

Yes , I get it, you don't ever think your opinion might be wrong about anything. B/c you're an idiot.

ConHog
12-19-2011, 11:30 PM
WAS asking if that was the conclusion of your study.
But anyways, I dont care much what that study says if they are using the legal limit to decide intoxication. Its a joke what they consider it to be.

So how much distraction or impairment do you think should be legal?

DragonStryk72
12-20-2011, 01:26 AM

If you are on a hands free phone talking, then you are literally as distracted as you talking to a person next to you in the car. So, anyone here ever chat with anyone that's riding with them in the car?

My problem with this, and all these jump offs is that we still don't have figures on how many of these people who get into accidents while texting or whatnot are simply.... Shitty drives that get into accidents because they're shitty drivers who are easily distracted.

ConHog
12-20-2011, 01:46 AM
If you are on a hands free phone talking, then you are literally as distracted as you talking to a person next to you in the car. So, anyone here ever chat with anyone that's riding with them in the car?

My problem with this, and all these jump offs is that we still don't have figures on how many of these people who get into accidents while texting or whatnot are simply.... Shitty drives that get into accidents because they're shitty drivers who are easily distracted.

It depends on the hands free unit. Some of them are pretty damn easy to use and yes no more distracting then an in car conversation. Others are in fact a pain in the ass and far more distracting than a handset would be to use because they are so complicated.

As to your last point. I would agree. Rather than passing 9 million you can't do this because you might get distracted laws, why not pass one 'if you get in an accident because you distracted , THIS will happen " law?

I know I'd like to see some of these women who are applying their makeup as they drive down the road be arrested. I've seen people reading a book while driving down the interstate for fuck's sakes.

DragonStryk72
12-20-2011, 02:04 AM
It depends on the hands free unit. Some of them are pretty damn easy to use and yes no more distracting then an in car conversation. Others are in fact a pain in the ass and far more distracting than a handset would be to use because they are so complicated.

As to your last point. I would agree. Rather than passing 9 million you can't do this because you might get distracted laws, why not pass one 'if you get in an accident because you distracted , THIS will happen " law?

I know I'd like to see some of these women who are applying their makeup as they drive down the road be arrested. I've seen people reading a book while driving down the interstate for fuck's sakes.

Well, the hands free set seem to be dropping off markedly anyway, since easier to use ones will always be more popular, so that's really working itself out. But otherwise, yeah, we need to simply blanket it as "If you get into accident because you weren't paying attention, you are automatically 100% at fault".

red states rule
12-20-2011, 03:12 AM
Of course its alright with me if you want to use faulty logic and cut of your nose to spite your face in order to teach a lesson to someone.

Gee, that's real white of ya

LuvRPgrl
12-20-2011, 12:05 PM
Yes , I get it, you don't ever think your opinion might be wrong about anything. B/c you're an idiot.

good god man, you said you agreed with me about something, I pointed out you dont and now you want to call me an idiot over it and argue more about whether we agree or not?
and I didnt even say if my posisition, opinion or not, was right, just that it is different.

ConHog
12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Well, the hands free set seem to be dropping off markedly anyway, since easier to use ones will always be more popular, so that's really working itself out. But otherwise, yeah, we need to simply blanket it as "If you get into accident because you weren't paying attention, you are automatically 100% at fault".

I like the new system that automatically link to your phone and work through your stereo system for sound with a tiny mic imbedded in the A pillar. Now unless they are willing to say that car radios are dangerous. Where does that leave them?

Oh by the way, I would in fact say that for SOME drivers car stereos are dangerous, but I'm not there is anything un dangerous about them being behind the wheel anyway.

LuvRPgrl
12-20-2011, 12:11 PM

speaking of fucks sake, how about guys getting blow jobs while driving down the freeway and pulling up next to truckers so the guy can watch,,,,not that Ive ever done that.

ConHog
12-20-2011, 12:13 PM
speaking of fucks sake, how about guys getting blow jobs while driving down the freeway and pulling up next to truckers so the guy can watch,,,,not that Ive ever done that.

well, not that I've any experience receiving road head mind you, but I can't imagine it not being distracting. :laugh2:

Gunny
12-20-2011, 12:15 PM

Good thing you added that "legal limit" term; otherwise, I'd disagree. You can get higher on a glass of Kool Aid than the legal limit. The fact is, if you have a hands free device and can't drive, you need to stay home.

LuvRPgrl
12-20-2011, 12:17 PM

I wouldnt go that far. If someone ran a red light and I hit them while distracted, you cant let them off completely.

Its extremely complicated.
I know Ive been told by alot of people that I can drive better when drunk than alot of people can when completely sober.

But one thing everybody also seems to miss is the insurance angle. Now that everybody has insurance that covers everything, and we are all belted in and have airbags, people arent as concerned about driving safe as much as they use to beSome.

Plus we have the "annoying driving" vs the "dangerous driving".

Some people are holding up others cuz they are so busy yacking away, and then they wonder why people have road rage.

ConHog
12-20-2011, 12:19 PM
I wouldnt go that far. If someone ran a red light and I hit them while distracted, you cant let them off completely.

I know Ive been told by alot of people that I can drive better when drunk than alot of people can when completely sober.

But one thing everybody also seems to miss is the insurance angle. Now that everybody has insurance that covers everything, and we are all belted in and have airbags, people arent as concerned about driving safe as much as they use to beSome.

Some people are holding up others cuz they are so busy yacking away, and then they wonder why people have road rage.

This is off topic, but what? Maybe its just around here, but we have litertally 50 people a month arrested in a city of 4,000 for driving with no insurance. And that's just the ones who get caught. I've heard estimates as high as 30% of drivers in Arkansas don't even have basic PL and PD. Is it just us?

LuvRPgrl
12-20-2011, 12:23 PM
This is off topic, but what? Maybe its just around here, but we have litertally 50 people a month arrested in a city of 4,000 for driving with no insurance. And that's just the ones who get caught. I've heard estimates as high as 30% of drivers in Arkansas don't even have basic PL and PD. Is it just us?

Im talking about more middle class and up

Gunny
12-20-2011, 12:33 PM

What everyone is missing is the "Big Brother" controls when I shit angle. I mean really ... when do these fuckers stop? They can't fix their own damned deficit but they have time to decide when I can and cannot talk on a phone?

ConHog
12-20-2011, 03:43 PM
Im talking about more middle class and up

Oh, then yes, I agree. Most of those who are arrested for no insurance around here are either white trash or illegals.

ConHog
12-20-2011, 03:46 PM
What everyone is missing is the "Big Brother" controls when I shit angle. I mean really ... when do these fuckers stop? They can't fix their own damned deficit but they have time to decide when I can and cannot talk on a phone?

We can blame that on idiots who prove time after time after time that they in fact deserve a big brother telling them what to do Gunny.

I don't need someone telling me how to drive, I know how; but there are many many MANY people out there who DO need to be told.

logroller
12-20-2011, 08:58 PM
I like the new system that automatically link to your phone and work through your stereo system for sound with a tiny mic imbedded in the A pillar. Now unless they are willing to say that car radios are dangerous. Where does that leave them?

Oh by the way, I would in fact say that for SOME drivers car stereos are dangerous, but I'm not there is anything un dangerous about them being behind the wheel anyway.

I would say some drivers are dangerous.

That's illegal-- wanton endangerment. I posted a thread on that titled Driving...like a boss. Course he was drunk too. At the time I thought it might have been Conhog.:laugh:

red states rule
12-21-2011, 03:36 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-w1Vc8dgsAF0/TbBT8ncqalI/AAAAAAAAB1E/SB6cSzwICaM/s1600/nanny_state.jpg

DragonStryk72
12-21-2011, 04:31 AM
We can blame that on idiots who prove time after time after time that they in fact deserve a big brother telling them what to do Gunny.

I don't need someone telling me how to drive, I know how; but there are many many MANY people out there who DO need to be told.

Actually, most of those people already DO know, they just don't care, not as it pertains to them. Know how I know? I live three blocks from a police precinct, and guess when everyone hangs up their calls? Yeah, that's right, they are very clear that they're doing something they shouldn't be doing, so the law is really superfluous, since the only people it really stops from doing anything are the very people who aren't doing it in the first place.

red states rule
12-21-2011, 04:39 AM
Actually, most of those people already DO know, they just don't care, not as it pertains to them. Know how I know? I live three blocks from a police precinct, and guess when everyone hangs up their calls? Yeah, that's right, they are very clear that they're doing something they shouldn't be doing, so the law is really superfluous, since the only people it really stops from doing anything are the very people who aren't doing it in the first place.

Like with seat belt laws, money sucking politicans will adjust cell phone laws so a cop can pull you over for that alone

Currently, they need another reason to stop you even if they see you talking on the cell phone

But as the need for money rises, the cops will be used as tax collectors to suck more money from the pockets of the citizens

These laws are not about public safety - it is about bringing in revenue

Gunny
12-21-2011, 05:26 AM

Fuck 'em. I just saw a show where they prosecuted some chick for disappearing. Since when? Since when can't we come and go as we please without reporting to the state? Prosecute the drama queen parents and groom to be for making a big f-ing soap opera out of nothing.

Oh, but because the media made an issue of it, let's prosecute.

red states rule
12-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Fuck 'em. I just saw a show where they prosecuted some chick for disappearing. Since when? Since when can't we come and go as we please without reporting to the state? Prosecute the drama queen parents and groom to be for making a big f-ing soap opera out of nothing.

Gunny, if you are talking about Jennifer Wilbanks who fled shortly before her wedding - she did lie about being abducted

I don't know if this is the same case or not

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/tough_time_for_runaway_xxfj3gpyQsc5kTCbUS9hNO

logroller
12-21-2011, 05:31 AM

On criminal charges??? I could understand a civil suit, but not criminal.

Gunny
12-21-2011, 05:59 AM
Gunny, if you are talking about Jennifer Wilbanks who fled shortly before her wedding - she did lie about being abducted

I don't know if this is the same case or not

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/tough_time_for_runaway_xxfj3gpyQsc5kTCbUS9hNO

Nope. Some other dummy. I'm not saying she was right nor even smart. Jut saing the government can kiss my ass.

LuvRPgrl
12-21-2011, 11:56 AM

prosecuted for disappearing?
Is she a magician? Why is it illegal to disappear?

LuvRPgrl
12-21-2011, 11:58 AM
Like with seat belt laws, money sucking politicans will adjust cell phone laws so a cop can pull you over for that alone

Currently, they need another reason to stop you even if they see you talking on the cell phone

But as the need for money rises, the cops will be used as tax collectors to suck more money from the pockets of the citizens

These laws are not about public safety - it is about bringing in revenue

money, power, control

But I personally really hate cell phones, and I dont have one.
The rudeness these people display is absurd.
I now push people on their phones when they are holding me up in a line at the store.
It drives me nuts when someone is on the phone and cant pull oout of a parking lot

red states rule
12-23-2011, 03:46 AM
money, power, control

I now push people on their phones when they are holding me up in a line at the store.
It drives me nuts when someone is on the phone and cant pull oout of a parking lot

All I have is a cell phone. However like smoking (which I have given up) it is a courtsey issue and requires common sense

I have it on vibrate most of time (when I am at work, in public places)

I do not take calls during a movie, or in most public places

If the call is that important you go outside to take it

But many people do not have the common sense to do that

ConHog
12-25-2011, 02:13 PM
money, power, control

That's just people being idiots though and isn't really the fault of cell phones. The ones I don't get are the ones who go to a live sporting event and then spend the whole time jawing on their phone. What the hell?

Shadow
12-25-2011, 02:44 PM
money, power, control

I totally agree. I have one...but I rarely use it. I can't stand people who walk around with them attached to their head 24/7. I especially hate the ones who go out to eat...answer their phone... and then talk very loudly the whole time they are there which bothers the people around them. Can't they even turn the damn things off for 10 min to eat a freaken meal?

Kathianne
12-25-2011, 02:50 PM
I totally agree. I have one...but I rarely use it. I can't stand people who walk around with them attached to their head 24/7. I especially hate the ones who go out to eat...answer their phone... and then talk very loudly the whole time they are there which bothers the people around them. Can't they even turn the damn things off for 10 min to eat a freaken meal?

I agree. I really don't care so much what people I don't know or interact with do, but it frosts me to no end when friends or family come for a visit and are answering their phones or texting folks. My own kids don't do it anymore, one time I told them to either leave or turn off their phones.

Friends though? Tough call. I've a friend I love dearly and she's over nearly every morning for coffee. The phone is going to be fused to her body soon. In the past two weeks I've taken to keeping my laptop at hand. When she starts answering calls or texts, I open the laptop and start doing what I do. When she stops, she always says, "Ok, I'm done, I had to respond." I now tell her, Ok, I'll be done in a few minutes. I keep reading. She is beginning to get the message.

Shadow
12-25-2011, 03:08 PM
I agree. I really don't care so much what people I don't know or interact with do, but it frosts me to no end when friends or family come for a visit and are answering their phones or texting folks. My own kids don't do it anymore, one time I told them to either leave or turn off their phones.

Friends though? Tough call. I've a friend I love dearly and she's over nearly every morning for coffee. The phone is going to be fused to her body soon. In the past two weeks I've taken to keeping my laptop at hand. When she starts answering calls or texts, I open the laptop and start doing what I do. When she stops, she always says, "Ok, I'm done, I had to respond." I now tell her, Ok, I'll be done in a few minutes. I keep reading. She is beginning to get the message.

Yeah...see that's just obnoxious. I would probably have done the same thing you did in that situation. Cell phones are one of my biggest pet peeves....I hate them.

ConHog
12-25-2011, 04:14 PM

If I'm at a nice restaurant spending serious money on a meal, I have NO problem complaining about people who do this, but I also am quick to complain to parents who bring their crying kids to a restaurant that I'm paying $100 or more for a meal and the atmosphere. I can stay at home and listen to fussy kids.

LuvRPgrl
12-25-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah...see that's just obnoxious. I would probably have done the same thing you did in that situation. Cell phones are one of my biggest pet peeves....I hate them.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Shadow again.

yep, me too. Im in the market for something that will block cell phones from working when Im in my house.

LuvRPgrl
12-25-2011, 05:13 PM
If I'm at a nice restaurant spending serious money on a meal, I have NO problem complaining about people who do this, but I also am quick to complain to parents who bring their crying kids to a restaurant that I'm paying $100 or more for a meal and the atmosphere. I can stay at home and listen to fussy kids.

$100 for a meal is a nice restaurant? You must be a cheap date

ConHog
12-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Neither my wife or I drink much, and we rarely eat dessert out.

And things are just cheaper around here. Even the best restaurants in Branson (where we usually go out) are rarely $50 per person.

red states rule
12-26-2011, 06:14 AM

When I take my gal to Outback or Red Lobster the tab (with tip) is about $70) The food is very good and we do not leave hungry

LuvRPgrl
12-26-2011, 02:57 PM
here on the west coast, alot of things are pricey, thats the price we pay for living in the best spot on the globe, san diego

ConHog
12-26-2011, 03:38 PM
here on the west coast, alot of things are pricey, thats the price we pay for living in the best spot on the globe, san diego

weather wise, I agree San Diego can't be beat, but all other things considered? No city in CA could EVER be called the best play in the world to live.

MtnBiker
12-26-2011, 06:11 PM

OK?

Hmmm, well that is your right. But have you ever stopped and thought about the root word of conservative?

Just because a person can do something does not mean it is the right thing to do.

ConHog
12-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Hmmm, well that is your right. But have you ever stopped and thought about the root word of conservative?

Just because a person can do something does not mean it is the right thing to do.

If only more people would realize the truth of that .

gabosaurus
12-26-2011, 06:18 PM
I will suck up as much power as I want

That's RSR for you, always trying to suck up to whoever is in power. :rolleyes:

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 12:25 AM

RSR is taking a stand ona much more important issue, people or org's that shouldnt be telling you what to do,

And every, and I mean EVERY city in the country can be matched by some city in Ca. Mountains, snow, surf, sunshine, rocky coast, islands, high desert, low desert, redwoods, farms, ranches,,,we got it all.

only one we dont have is alaska, and the mean year long temp of Hawaii

SassyLady
12-27-2011, 12:32 AM
One of the reasons my hubby and I are divorcing is his "crackberry".

red states rule
12-27-2011, 04:57 AM
If only more people would realize the truth of that .

Not surprised you want to lecture others on how they should live their life

ConHog
12-27-2011, 09:15 AM
RSR is taking a stand ona much more important issue, people or org's that shouldnt be telling you what to do,

And every, and I mean EVERY city in the country can be matched by some city in Ca. Mountains, snow, surf, sunshine, rocky coast, islands, high desert, low desert, redwoods, farms, ranches,,,we got it all.

only one we dont have is alaska, and the mean year long temp of Hawaii

Born in San Gabriel, I lived all over Southern California until I was 12 and we moved to Arkansas. I know there is a lot of great things about CA, I remember as a kid going snow skiing on Saturday then the beach on Sunday, each were less an hour from where I last live (Diamond Barrr near Anaheim) , but for ME the negatives outweigh the positives. Just as I'm quite sure that if you ever came to my part of Arkansas you would think it was beautiful, and you'd have a great time, but when you left you'd say it was great but it had its drawbacks that to me outweighed its positives as far as living there goes.

Shadow
12-27-2011, 10:05 AM
One of the reasons my hubby and I are divorcing is his "crackberry".

Men just love the go go gadgets. My EX just couldn't get enough of his palm pilot. :)

CSM
12-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Men just love the go go gadgets. My EX just couldn't get enough of his palm pilot. :)

I had one of them thar fancy android phones and hated the dang thing. Went back to the plain old cell phone.

ConHog
12-27-2011, 10:16 AM
I had one of them thar fancy android phones and hated the dang thing. Went back to the plain old cell phone.

I just switched from a Palm Pilot (piece of shit) to an Motorola Atriax2. LOVE it.

But then again , I'm a gadget guy, the folks up at Best Buy know me by name. :D It's actually quite convenient, Best Buys in Branson is in the same shopping center as Kohls. The wife hates going to Best Buy, I hate clothes shopping, so we get a little me time while still spending the majority of the day together.

CSM
12-27-2011, 10:22 AM
I just switched from a Palm Pilot (piece of shit) to an Motorola Atriax2. LOVE it.

But then again , I'm a gadget guy, the folks up at Best Buy know me by name. :D It's actually quite convenient, Best Buys in Branson is in the same shopping center as Kohls. The wife hates going to Best Buy, I hate clothes shopping, so we get a little me time while still spending the majority of the day together.

I like some gadgets. I really like my Nook; I love to read but hate stacking up the paperbacks. Phones are just an annoyance to me most of the time (unless it's an emergency) mostly because I am not one who likes to just chat. I like my laptop for research and history related stuff. E-mail is ok but hate spam. That's about it. My wife is the gadget nut and has everything from an electric corkscrew to an iPod.

ConHog
12-27-2011, 10:28 AM
I like some gadgets. I really like my Nook; I love to read but hate stacking up the paperbacks. Phones are just an annoyance to me most of the time (unless it's an emergency) mostly because I am not one who likes to just chat. I like my laptop for research and history related stuff. E-mail is ok but hate spam. That's about it. My wife is the gadget nut and has everything from an electric corkscrew to an iPod.

My boys both have IPads and love them, I haven't bought an E reader yet, but probably will soon. Not sure I'll spring for a IPAD for myself though, maybe a Nook cuz I do love me some Barnes & Noble. and hey they are in the same shopping center as Best Buy and Kohls. And you don't want to drive around Branson anymore than you have to.

CSM
12-27-2011, 10:40 AM
My boys both have IPads and love them, I haven't bought an E reader yet, but probably will soon. Not sure I'll spring for a IPAD for myself though, maybe a Nook cuz I do love me some Barnes & Noble. and hey they are in the same shopping center as Best Buy and Kohls. And you don't want to drive around Branson anymore than you have to.

I could spend DAYS in barnes & Noble! My favorite store bar none. I like the Nook better than Kindle but that's just me. If you get a Nook, spring for the color model; it's worth it. Plus, if you spend an hour or so in B&N you can download tons of free books.

ConHog
12-27-2011, 10:47 AM
I could spend DAYS in barnes & Noble! My favorite store bar none. I like the Nook better than Kindle but that's just me. If you get a Nook, spring for the color model; it's worth it. Plus, if you spend an hour or so in B&N you can download tons of free books.

Hmmm, I didn't know that about the free downloads.

shattered
12-27-2011, 11:02 AM

Them fancy android things are well worth every penny when you're trying to dig up on the spot reviews, and multiple prices at once for a $1200 dryer that caught your eye when you went specifically to look at a totally different brand/model.

Mines a pain in the ass while driving, because it's all touch screen, but other than that, I wouldn't part with it for the world.

I have an HTC Evo, and it actually kicks the crap out of IPhones.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 01:20 PM
Born in San Gabriel, I lived all over Southern California until I was 12 and we moved to Arkansas. I know there is a lot of great things about CA, I remember as a kid going snow skiing on Saturday then the beach on Sunday, each were less an hour from where I last live (Diamond Barrr near Anaheim) , but for ME the negatives outweigh the positives. Just as I'm quite sure that if you ever came to my part of Arkansas you would think it was beautiful, and you'd have a great time, but when you left you'd say it was great but it had its drawbacks that to me outweighed its positives as far as living there goes.

most people live here cuz they want to.
People live for the most part, back east, etc because of family and job, but most wouuld love to be able to go to southern ca.
Not sure what your negs about ca are,
I've been to arkansas, one of the places was right on the border, texarkansas,
NOTHING could make me want to move there
AND I didnt find it all that beautiful. After traveling from canada down, everything in ARK was the same ol same ol that I had been seeing for the last few hours, in fact, IM not even sure when I crossed the state border.
by far and away, hands down, no competition, the most spectacular place, one that I thought I would get bored with quickly, is the southwest

ConHog
12-27-2011, 01:46 PM
most people live here cuz they want to.
People live for the most part, back east, etc because of family and job, but most wouuld love to be able to go to southern ca.
Not sure what your negs about ca are,
I've been to arkansas, one of the places was right on the border, texarkansas,
NOTHING could make me want to move there
AND I didnt find it all that beautiful. After traveling from canada down, everything in ARK was the same ol same ol that I had been seeing for the last few hours, in fact, IM not even sure when I crossed the state border.
by far and away, hands down, no competition, the most spectacular place, one that I thought I would get bored with quickly, is the southwest

Texarkansa is a shithole. No doubts.

You gotta come to nortrhwest Arkansas for the spectacular views and clean country living.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Texarkansa is a shithole. No doubts.

You gotta come to nortrhwest Arkansas for the spectacular views and clean country living.

I went through there, left arkansas and thats when I went through texarkansas, not impressed by any of it.
The pacific coast in norther ca is more spectacular than anything I saw in the south.

I also learned that people who live by the beach in so cal, they , as a group, are happier than any other group, and they enjoy life.

ConHog
12-27-2011, 02:47 PM
I went through there, left arkansas and thats when I went through texarkansas, not impressed by any of it.
The pacific coast in norther ca is more spectacular than anything I saw in the south.

I also learned that people who live by the beach in so cal, they , as a group, are happier than any other group, and they enjoy life.

To each their own.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 05:47 PM
To each their own.

which is why so many millions have moved to ca. the golden state,

ConHog
12-27-2011, 06:21 PM
which is why so many millions have moved to ca. the golden state,

More power to them. I prefer the Natural State.

LuvRPgrl
12-27-2011, 10:33 PM
More power to them. I prefer the Natural State.

ca is natural

SassyLady
12-27-2011, 10:58 PM
got Christmas bonus and went down and got myself the new HTC Rezound Droid and Toshiba tablet as my latest gadgets
and for Christmas was given wireless headset that I can listen to my music and make/take phone calls while walking all around house and not holding phone

The grandkids are very impressed that Grammy is sorta in the same century as they are.

Still like a keyboard for anything that needs lots of typing like posting on message board. Found a stylus for touch pad .. makes typing a lot faster