PDA

View Full Version : The hotter the woman, the better men think chances are

Shadow
12-15-2011, 09:14 AM
So what do you think guys...is this a true assessment?

Snip...

There are "tons" of studies that show men think women are interested when they’re not, says lead author Carin Perilloux, a visiting professor at Williams College. But her study, which will be published in an upcoming issue of Psychological Science, found that not all men do. And surprisingly, it appears that the dorky, less attractive guys are more likely to think they’re babe magnets than their more attractive counterparts.
Perilloux was an unattached graduate student at the University of Texas when she decided to look into how men perceive women’s level of sexual interest and vice versa. She and her coauthors enlisted the help of about 200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) straight undergrads, split evenly between the sexes, with an average age just shy of 19.

The researchers asked each of their subjects to rate their own attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 7. The students then had three-minute one-on-one conversations with five members of the opposite sex, a setup the scientists describe as "speed meeting." (The goal wasn’t to get a date, because some of the participants already were involved with people outside the study.) After each conversation, they rated the other person’s attractiveness and sexual interest.
The more attractive the woman was to the guy, the more likely he was to overestimate her interest in him, researchers found. And it turns out, the less attractive men (who believed they were better looking than the women rated them) were more likely to think beautiful women (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) were hot for them. But the more attractive guys tended to have a more realistic assessment.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9426089-the-hotter-the-woman-the-better-men-think-chances-are

ConHog
12-15-2011, 09:23 AM

Snip...

There are "tons" of studies that show men think women are interested when they’re not, says lead author Carin Perilloux, a visiting professor at Williams College. But her study, which will be published in an upcoming issue of Psychological Science, found that not all men do. And surprisingly, it appears that the dorky, less attractive guys are more likely to think they’re babe magnets than their more attractive counterparts.
Perilloux was an unattached graduate student at the University of Texas when she decided to look into how men perceive women’s level of sexual interest and vice versa. She and her coauthors enlisted the help of about 200 (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) straight undergrads, split evenly between the sexes, with an average age just shy of 19.

The researchers asked each of their subjects to rate their own attractiveness on a scale of 1 to 7. The students then had three-minute one-on-one conversations with five members of the opposite sex, a setup the scientists describe as "speed meeting." (The goal wasn’t to get a date, because some of the participants already were involved with people outside the study.) After each conversation, they rated the other person’s attractiveness and sexual interest.
The more attractive the woman was to the guy, the more likely he was to overestimate her interest in him, researchers found. And it turns out, the less attractive men (who believed they were better looking than the women rated them) were more likely to think beautiful women (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) were hot for them. But the more attractive guys tended to have a more realistic assessment.

http://vitals.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/14/9426089-the-hotter-the-woman-the-better-men-think-chances-are

Believe it or not, I'm pretty humble when it comes to looks in relation to what women think of me, I never understood those guys who think every woman wants them. LOL

Shadow
12-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Believe it or not, I'm pretty humble when it comes to looks in relation to what women think of me, I never understood those guys who think every woman wants them. LOL

Well...okay, I will cut you fellas a little slack and say that there ARE women who think way too highly of themselves and their sexual prowess and looks too. And some do think they can have any man they want. But then they do have an advantage...men usually DO go for that "type" of woman.

But..yes, I have met the cocky...I'm gods gift to women type more than once :laugh:

CSM
12-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Hmmm, I never cared much for gals who thought they were all that and a bag of chips too. I am by no means what women would consider handsome either, so I guess I never put much stock in good looks as a primary criteria.

ConHog
12-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Hmmm, I never cared much for gals who thought they were all that and a bag of chips too. I am by no means what women would consider handsome either, so I guess I never put much stock in good looks as a primary criteria.

I'm with you. I've always preferred, and married, the type woman who doesn't know how sexy she is, or at least has the good graces to not make a big deal of it.

Shadow
12-15-2011, 10:03 AM
I'm with you. I've always preferred, and married, the type woman who doesn't know how sexy she is, or at least has the good graces to not make a big deal of it.

One thing that sticks in my mind when I read stories like this is a comment an EX made to me once...as a reason he was dumping me for the "other" woman.

"I love myself...and she loves herself"..."we undertand each other".

First of all... I don't think he knew how self absorbed that comment sounded to me. And for another...too much self love must not be a good thing in a relationship. They divorced several years later because of mutiple adultery abuses.

Abbey Marie
12-15-2011, 11:07 AM
If you want to see how often guys think they are more attractive than they really are, just look at how many run with out a shirt. Not usually a pretty sight. ;)

ConHog
12-15-2011, 11:12 AM
If you want to see how often guys think they are more attractive than they really are, just look at how many run with out a shirt. Not usually a pretty sight. ;)

I don't even understand that logic either. It's a proven fact that wearing proper running attire helps keep the body cooler than wearing no shirt.

revelarts
12-15-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm feeling butality honest today

I'm off the market to but I've usually been the last guy to know that some woman is attracted to me. In college I met this one woman that I had seen on campus and she was easily among the top 5 most beautiful women in school , scientific surveys and all ya know, well the last to semesters of college she ended up in a couple of my classes, I thought I had zero chance with this woman so I dropped any game or hope in that respect and just treated her like a person and tried not to frustrate myself. We got to be pretty friendly, me thinking she just want's a class buddy but just before we graduate I get CLEAR messages that she wants more than a friendly relationship. I was shocked and went ahead and blew it by coming on too strong and getting drunk and embarrassing myself at a grad party (1st and last time drunk--- pre-christain era). There have been several times since then I've had similar things happen, (different results) . But semi-ignoring extremely attractive women seems to be a decent approach. whether you look decent or not.

But I knew some guys, in High school especially, who thought they were good-lookin-dudes but they were kinda rugly rooking fellas (always made me look better by contrast). I always thought that they couldn't take the idea of thinking of themselves as bad looking as there were.

But I've known some women with the similar problem, telling me how attractive they are while grinning a crooked tooth grin. I think all women can be attractive, i mean , they have the right equipment . But ya know in general though I think after a while of being with someone you almost don't see them anymore unless she dresses up a makes a presentation or doesn't dress up and makes a presentation.

Shadow
12-15-2011, 10:14 PM

Well...just thank your lucky stars you don't get the ones that run in speedos (and no shirt)...I've seen a couple of those this past summer. Bleh :laugh:

Shadow
12-15-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm feeling butality honest today

I'm off the market to but I've usually been the last guy to know that some woman is attracted to me. In college I met this one woman that I had seen on campus and she was easily among the top 5 most beautiful women in school , scientific surveys and all ya know, well the last to semesters of college she ended up in a couple of my classes, I thought I had zero chance with this woman so I dropped any game or hope in that respect and just treated her like a person and tried not to frustrate myself. We got to be pretty friendly, me thinking she just want's a class buddy but just before we graduate I get CLEAR messages that she wants more than a friendly relationship. I was shocked and went ahead and blew it by coming on too strong and getting drunk and embarrassing myself at a grad party (1st and last time drunk--- pre-christain era). There have been several times since then I've had similar things happen, (different results) . But semi-ignoring extremely attractive women seems to be a decent approach. whether you look decent or not.

But I knew some guys, in High school especially, who thought they were good-lookin-dudes but they were kinda rugly rooking fellas (always made me look better by contrast). I always thought that they couldn't take the idea of thinking of themselves as bad looking as there were.

But I've known some women with the similar problem, telling me how attractive they are while grinning a crooked tooth grin. I think all women can be attractive, i mean , they have the right equipment . But ya know in general though I think after a while of being with someone you almost don't see them anymore unless she dresses up a makes a presentation or doesn't dress up and makes a presentation.

One thing you probably had going for you was an air of self confidence in your presence,instead just radiating over confidence and someone who is egotistical. A man who is self assured without being vain is very attractive...at least to me.

Why the drunken slip up? Just a college party gone wrong...or were you that nervous to be around her?

Gunny
12-15-2011, 11:26 PM

Snip...

LOL. I'd say the hotter the woman, the LESS men think.:laugh:

Shadow
12-16-2011, 12:14 AM
LOL. I'd say the hotter the woman, the LESS men think.:laugh:

So what they say is true then LOL...

" most men are zombies more or less when it comes to sex, the little head shuts off the core parts of the bigger one" ;)

Does it ever occur to men that when they use shallow criteria for choosing a woman...they might just end up with a shallow gold digger/game player?

revelarts
12-16-2011, 06:08 AM
One thing you probably had going for you was an air of self confidence in your presence,instead just radiating over confidence and someone who is egotistical. A man who is self assured without being vain is very attractive...at least to me.

Why the drunken slip up? Just a college party gone wrong...or were you that nervous to be around her?
by the time off the party i was on strike 4 and she wasn't sure she was coming to the party. I had gotten to it early and I'd promised the host, who had never seen me drink that I'd partake of his free beer this time, I partook to much and was going up the stairs on my hands and knees because I couldn't walk strait to throw up when I saw her and started loud talking -slurring- some stupid nonsense at her. I wasn't nervous at all just talking like a drunken idiot, she wasn't into drunks at all so that was like strike 5 for me. over before it really got started.

darin
12-16-2011, 06:16 AM
I haven't felt particularly ugly - in fact, I think most women who know me think I'm at LEAST 'sorta cute'. However, I tend to think no woman is interested; when it happens, it's great.

red states rule
12-16-2011, 07:01 AM

Snip...

When I was dating (I am not now of course) I was always polite, respectful, and wanted to know about the girl first.

I learned early that msot women want to be charmed and talked to y a guy, and not have to deal with thise that are out for only one thing

Now I follow the same path of respect, consideraton, and politness with my GF,

And all is right in that world

Gunny
12-16-2011, 07:53 AM
So what they say is true then LOL...

" most men are zombies more or less when it comes to sex, the little head shuts off the core parts of the bigger one" ;)

Does it ever occur to men that when they use shallow criteria for choosing a woman...they might just end up with a shallow gold digger/game player?

Your first sentence belies your second. Once sentence one happens, there is no "does it ever occur to men ..." happening. :laugh:

Getting hosed financially and starting over a couple of times WILL get one's attention though.:laugh:

Shadow
12-16-2011, 09:10 AM
by the time off the party i was on strike 4 and she wasn't sure she was coming to the party. I had gotten to it early and I'd promised the host, who had never seen me drink that I'd partake of his free beer this time, I partook to much and was going up the stairs on my hands and knees because I couldn't walk strait to throw up when I saw her and started loud talking -slurring- some stupid nonsense at her. I wasn't nervous at all just talking like a drunken idiot, she wasn't into drunks at all so that was like strike 5 for me. over before it really got started.

OMG...drunken stairs sure do bring back memories. In college I lived on the 7th floor of my dorm...remind me to tell you about crawling up stairs on hands and knees telling my friend Guy how sorry I was for making him take me home drunk. And also for crying like a ninny because I didn't want to leave "reckless Randy from Raton" behind at the party without saying goodbye....talk about humiliating. Good times. LOL

So...before the party you were already on strike 4? I think you are leaving out important steps in this story ;)

Shadow
12-16-2011, 09:16 AM
Your first sentence belies your second. Once sentence one happens, there is no "does it ever occur to men ..." happening. :laugh:

Getting hosed financially and starting over a couple of times WILL get one's attention though.:laugh:

Yes...I keep forgetting there is no planning involved. And when the penis does the talking...brains fly out the window.

So...I also find it interesting that none of you stud muffins are willing to share your classic woman luring moves. :coffee:

red states rule
12-16-2011, 09:24 AM
Yes...I keep forgetting there is no planning involved. And when the penis does the talking...brains fly out the window.

So...I also find it interesting that none of you stud muffins are willing to share your classic woman luring moves. :coffee:

I thought I did share mine

Talk to the women, get to know her, treat her with respect, and above all be polite

Worked for me and it will be 6 years next month I got Gids gift in the form of my GF. She is cutting hair right now and I am posting from her computer

Shadow
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
I thought I did share mine

Talk to the women, get to know her, treat her with respect, and above all be polite

Worked for me and it will be 6 years next month I got Gids gift in the form of my GF. She is cutting hair right now and I am posting from her computer

So...no cheesy pick up lines like.."Do you have a map...cuz I keep getting lost in your eyes"? ;)

red states rule
12-16-2011, 09:38 AM
So...no cheesy pick up lines like.."Do you have a map...cuz I keep getting lost in your eyes"? ;)

Nope noe at all

When I first met Bejie for dinner, we talked for over 2 hours about many things

We then walked for awhile and made a second date

I have never insulted the intel of any women with "cheesy pick up lines" Shadow

Maybe some guys need them - I never have. I believe most women would not have to deal with them but would rather be treated with respect and common courtsey

Shadow
12-17-2011, 12:43 PM
Nope noe at all

When I first met Bejie for dinner, we talked for over 2 hours about many things

We then walked for awhile and made a second date

I have never insulted the intel of any women with "cheesy pick up lines" Shadow

Maybe some guys need them - I never have. I believe most women would not have to deal with them but would rather be treated with respect and common courtsey

I was just playing with you about the cheesy pick up lines. I don't know many men who actually use them. Well...I knew one...he turned out to be very conceited and selfish. I believe he also had a t-shirt that said..."I'm a nice guy...just ask me". (which he used to wear to try and pick up girls...even though he was seeing someone). Just the type of man that this very thread was kind of mocking ;)

I think it's great that you found someone easy to talk to and that you like to spend time with.

jimnyc
12-17-2011, 01:29 PM
I like fat and ugly chicks, much less work and expense involved. :coffee: