PDA

View Full Version : School suspends Tebowing students

red states rule
12-16-2011, 09:53 AM
More tolerance from the left on display for all to see

I suspect Tebow will be as hated and demonized in the liberal meda and by liberals as Pres George W Bush and Ms Palin currently are

No running in the halls -- and no Tebowing either.

That's what one Long Island administration said Wednesday when it suspended a group of high school athletes for replicating Denver Broncos (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/den/denver-broncos) quarterback Tim Tebow (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13200/tim-tebow)'s popular pose in the hallway at school.<!-- begin inline 1 --><!--INLINE MUG-->
<!--END INLINE MUG--><!-- end inline 1 -->Jordan Fulcoly, Wayne Drexel and brothers Tyler and Connor Carroll of Riverhead High School were all handed a one-day suspension Wednesday, after three days of taking a knee with their foreheads resting on their fists, the same way Tebow does in the end zone and on the sidelines. The news was first reported by Yahoo! Prep Rally earlier Thursday.
Riverhead superintendent Nancy Carney said that two of the students' suspensions were later rescinded, citing that administrators found that those students were not given the same warnings that the other two were.

Tebow has made headlines for the move, a display of his devotion to his Christian faith. The students were not suspended for bringing religion into the school, but instead for clogging the hallway.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/7357978/high-school-athletes-suspended-tebowing

revelarts
12-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Clogging the hallway is the crime here... people could have been hurt and it probably stopped the non Christians guys ability to make drug deals, get cheat notes and feel up the passing girls properly.

sarcasm off

like cops ticketing jaywalkers when there's no traffic in sight, what a freaking waste. and smells of making the school a Christian/religious freezone.

pityful

red states rule
12-16-2011, 11:20 AM
Clogging the hallway is the crime here... people could have been hurt and it probably stopped the non Christians guys ability to make drug deals, get cheat notes and feel up the passing girls properly.

sarcasm off

like cops ticketing jaywalkers when there's no traffic in sight, what a freaking waste. and smells of making the school a Christian/religious freezone.

pityful

Anyone care to bet if the kids were Muslims NOTHING would have been said or done to the students?

It is the "in" thing these days to openly hate and mock Christians with liberals and the only "god" the left wants everyone to worship is the Federal government

Gaffer
12-16-2011, 01:03 PM
What if these guys were just mocking Tebow?

red states rule
12-16-2011, 01:11 PM
What if these guys were just mocking Tebow?

Then they would have been praised for speaking out against such a radical religious but

and given a fawning interview on MSNBC

ConHog
12-16-2011, 01:13 PM
IMO a suspension wasn't warranted. However, we doin't allow kids to block up the hallways either.

red states rule
12-16-2011, 01:24 PM
IMO a suspension wasn't warranted. However, we doin't allow kids to block up the hallways either.

And the real crime is openly expressing their love of God

That kind of behaviour is unacceptable and must be stamped out when it is seen

First they removed prayer from the public school, Next the Pledge was attacked. Then Christamas came under attack

Now any public expression that you love God is frowned upon

Yes, the left will restore order to the PS system

ConHog
12-16-2011, 01:33 PM
And the real crime is openly expressing their love of God

That kind of behaviour is unacceptable and must be stamped out when it is seen

First they removed prayer from the public school, Next the Pledge was attacked. Then Christamas came under attack

Now any public expression that you love God is frowned upon

Yes, the left will restore order to the PS system

That's your interpretation anyway. The school says differently.

But the general point that religion isn't allowed in schools anymore is true. AND school officials DO have to walk a fine line because one wrong step gets them sued. So better to say no to a student then get sued.

red states rule
12-16-2011, 01:39 PM
That's your interpretation anyway. The school says differently.

But the general point that religion isn't allowed in schools anymore is true. AND school officials DO have to walk a fine line because one wrong step gets them sued. So better to say no to a student then get sued.

Only Christian based religion is not allowed in Public schools any longer. Yes, those damn radical Christian kids had to be slapped down for the good of the collective

ConHog
12-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Only Christian based religion is not allowed in Public schools any longer. Yes, those damn radical Christian kids had to be slapped down for the good of the collective

Bullshit. If Muslim kids were praising Allah in the middle of the hallway it would be stopped.

red states rule
12-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Bullshit. If Muslim kids were praising Allah in the middle of the hallway it would be stopped.

and your liberal buddies would be all over that paying the racism card. Your middle of the road attitude would get very upset CH

Remember when people opposed the Ground Zero Mosque?

ConHog
12-16-2011, 01:52 PM
and your liberal buddies would be all over that paying the racism card. Your middle of the road attitude would get very upset CH

Remember when people opposed the Ground Zero Mosque?

I'm sure they would be, and they would be as retarded as you claiming that only Christians are barred from blocking hallways praising their god. See, both sides can be retarded. Something you without fail seem to ignore. GO ahead call me a middle of the roader again for not cheering you on at every turn.

Yes, I remember. I was one of them. Vehemently oppose that mosque being built. That is IRRELEVANT to the discussion of religion in school. BTW I happen to believe religion SHOULD be allowed in school but that isn't the way it is.

red states rule
12-16-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm sure they would be, and they would be as retarded as you claiming that only Christians are barred from blocking hallways praising their god. See, both sides can be retarded. Something you without fail seem to ignore. GO ahead call me a middle of the roader again for not cheering you on at every turn.

Yes, I remember. I was one of them. Vehemently oppose that mosque being built. That is IRRELEVANT to the discussion of religion in school. BTW I happen to believe religion SHOULD be allowed in school but that isn't the way it is.

Oh my I forgot you are also an expert on the education system and now you are an expert on Islamic relations

I guess I should try to remember how lucky we are to have such a diverse expert on so many topics.

Gaffer
12-16-2011, 02:04 PM
This still looks to me like a "hey, watch this" moment. It's mockery. Dropping to one knee in a hall way for no reason is just getting attention and a few laughs. It's being disruptive. I'm sure Tebow doesn't walk down the side walk and just drop to one knee and pray for no reason, blocking pedestrian traffic. While Tebow is sincere these kids are just making spectacles of themselves for their own egos. That's not worship that's mockery.

ConHog
12-16-2011, 02:09 PM
Oh my I forgot you are also an expert on the education system and now you are an expert on Islamic relations

I guess I should try to remember how lucky we are to have such a diverse expert on so many topics.

What the fuck are you babbling about? Me saying that the mosque is irrelevant to THIS discussion is in no way , shape, or form me claiming to be an expert on Islamic relations.

Seriously, are you on drugs?

Thunderknuckles
12-16-2011, 03:14 PM
I understand if this boils to keeping the hallways clear and these students refused to do so. Give them a warning, then punishment if they don't. If it boils down to pjunishing the students for prayer, that school is in nasty trouble.

revelarts
12-16-2011, 03:31 PM
Public School is the training ground for the police state.... i mean free americans, the rules have to be obeyed. get in line and STFU or else. the kids gotta learn RSR. it wouldn't have made any dif if they were muslim or what ever. the state is above all.
religion? freedoms? constitutional rights?! cmon ORDER must be maintained at all cost.
git with the program RSR. cmon buddy the state knows best.

jimnyc
12-16-2011, 03:38 PM
Public School is the training ground for the police state.... i mean free americans, the rules have to be obeyed. get in line and STFU or else. the kids gotta learn RSR. it wouldn't have made any dif if they were muslim or what ever. the state is above all.
religion? freedoms? constitutional rights?! cmon ORDER must be maintained at all cost.
git with the program RSR. cmon buddy the state knows best.

WTF? Now your conspiracies about the state overstepping their bounds finds it into this thread? LOL This was a SCHOOL decision, not a government decision. I'm confident their is no law/rule from government blocking the mocking of Tim Tebow, and that's what "Tebowing" was started as and continues to be - mocking the QB and the "stance" he goes into all the time. Apparently these kids did so between classes and it was congesting the hallway. I'm assuming a teacher or administrator reported the activity and they were suspended as a result. Please articulate to me how this has anything to do with religious rights, constitutional rights or the state...

ConHog
12-16-2011, 03:55 PM
WTF? Now your conspiracies about the state overstepping their bounds finds it into this thread? LOL This was a SCHOOL decision, not a government decision. I'm confident their is no law/rule from government blocking the mocking of Tim Tebow, and that's what "Tebowing" was started as and continues to be - mocking the QB and the "stance" he goes into all the time. Apparently these kids did so between classes and it was congesting the hallway. I'm assuming a teacher or administrator reported the activity and they were suspended as a result. Please articulate to me how this has anything to do with religious rights, constitutional rights or the state...

But Jim, those kids have a right to congest the halls at school.

Sounds like Rev and RSR are a bunch of god damned Occupier thinking them and theirs should be able to do whatever they want, and to hell with everyone else.

BoogyMan
12-16-2011, 04:01 PM
Considering the breadth of options available to the school and understanding that suspension is like the nuclear bomb of options one would think a more appropriate disciplinary measure would have been used if this were not actually the product of a "tolerant" ideological liberal idiot in the administration of the school.

ConHog
12-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Considering the breadth of options available to the school and understanding that suspension is like the nuclear bomb of options one would think a more appropriate disciplinary measure would have been used if this were not actually the product of a "tolerant" ideological liberal idiot in the administration of the school.

Actually, expulsion would be the nuclear bomb of options available to the school. Suspension does seem a little excessive to me based on what I know of the matter though.

jimnyc
12-16-2011, 04:08 PM

Actually, expulsion would be the nuclear bomb of options available to the school. Suspension does seem a little excessive to me based on what I know of the matter though.

Without a doubt, I think it's excessive too, but I just think a teach/administrator/principal made a shit decision. I don't see any harm in what they did, unless if we aren't hearing the entire and full story.

ConHog
12-16-2011, 04:12 PM
Without a doubt, I think it's excessive too, but I just think a teach/administrator/principal made a shit decision. I don't see any harm in what they did, unless if we aren't hearing the entire and full story.

WHich is probably the case, as usual.

logroller
12-16-2011, 04:13 PM
But Jim, those kids have a right to congest the halls at school.

Sounds like Rev and RSR are a bunch of god damned Occupier thinking them and theirs should be able to do whatever they want, and to hell with everyone else.

You should know that any opined premise qualifies you as a self-proclaimed expert--so now you're an expert on the Occupiers too.:poke:
Oh wait, i guess that makes me an expert on others being experts...or maybe I'm just mocking others' expertise-- think about it, but don't answer; or else you'll be seen as an expert on others intentions. :laugh:

ConHog
12-16-2011, 04:15 PM
You should know that any opined premise qualifies you as a self-proclaimed expert--so now you're an expert on the Occupiers too.:poke:
Oh wait, i guess that makes me an expert on others being experts...or maybe I'm just mocking others' expertise-- think about it, but don't answer; or else you'll be seen as an expert on others intentions. :laugh:

I got that beat, I was proclaimed as an expert on Islamic affairs simply for pointing out that a mosque had nothing to do with a discussion that was not about Islam at all. :laugh2:

A certain poster needs to up his meds. I'll PM you the name. :laugh2:

logroller
12-16-2011, 04:23 PM
I got that beat, I was proclaimed as an expert on Islamic affairs simply for pointing out that a mosque had nothing to do with a discussion that was not about Islam at all. :laugh2:

A certain poster needs to up his meds. I'll PM you the name. :laugh2:

PM instead of openly criticizing another poster, clearly you're an expert on not flaming... like a boss.:laugh:

logroller
12-16-2011, 04:25 PM
In my expert opinion, I'm not an expert.

Kathianne
12-17-2011, 12:31 AM
When I read this early this morning, it sounded like a few athletes, (4), were doing this at various times. I didn't see where it was much different than a gaggle of kids stopping and talking, everyone flows around them. I know, I walk those passing periods every day.

However, that's not what was happening and two of the boys had been warned before. Indeed it seems the boys were just insubordinate, changing their 'reason' for creating 'human walls' to block the hallways:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57344569/ny-students-suspended-for-organizing-tebowing/

December 16, 2011 9:25 PM

NY students suspended for organizing "Tebowing"

...Riverhead High School administrators suspended 17-year-old twins Connor and Tyler Carroll this week after they organized several "Tebowing" tributes to the NFL star in their school hallway.

Connor Carroll said in a telephone interview on Friday afternoon that he and his friends — nearly 40 took part in the last of three demonstrations on Wednesday — merely wanted to pay tribute to Tebow as a "role model, leader and winner."

He conceded that although kneeling for Tebow has a religious connotation, their intent was simply to honor a sports hero.

Riverhead School Superintendent Nancy Carney said in a statement that the students' actions created a potential safety hazard.

"I think it's wonderful that our students look up to sports heroes such as Mr. Tebow, but we can't allow students to create unsafe situations in school," Carney said in a statement. "Students cannot block hallways and prevent other students from getting to class."

She said the Carroll brothers, who play on the Riverhead football and baseball teams, were disciplined because of prior warnings about disruptions in the hallway. Connor Carroll said that he and his brother and others had been creating "human walls" in the hallways about six weeks ago and conceded they were told to stop, but argued that the "Tebowing" tribute was different.

School administrators did not see it that way...

Wind Song
12-17-2011, 02:36 PM
Admin did the right thing suspending the boys.

jimnyc
12-17-2011, 02:52 PM
Admin did the right thing suspending the boys.

Why do you support their decision? IF they did the "Tebowing" as others are doing, the entire act of going to their knees with their arm to their head as if they were thinking, the whole thing would take about 5-10 seconds. Why do you think a suspension is warranted? Wouldn't a warning, or detention suffice?

Kathianne
12-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Why do you support their decision? IF they did the "Tebowing" as others are doing, the entire act of going to their knees with their arm to their head as if they were thinking, the whole thing would take about 5-10 seconds. Why do you think a suspension is warranted? Wouldn't a warning, or detention suffice?

Did you see the CBS link I put up? Didn't seem to be 40 seconds. Didn't seem to actually be about 'Tebow' or religion, more about the human wall during passing periods, that was a recurring theme.

From what I read of the one twin's 'suspension' it was 'in school' and he was doing the coursework.

jimnyc
12-17-2011, 03:05 PM
Did you see the CBS link I put up? Didn't seem to be 40 seconds. Didn't seem to actually be about 'Tebow' or religion, more about the human wall during passing periods, that was a recurring theme.

From what I read of the one twin's 'suspension' it was 'in school' and he was doing the coursework.

Nope, I didn't! LOL But now that I have, I definitely agree that something needed to be done if this was a "habitual" thing. If they didn't heed the warning, they have no one to blame but themselves.

No need to answer me, Wind Song, you were probably just smarter than me and actually read before posting! :laugh2:

sundaydriver
12-17-2011, 04:41 PM
Boys being Boys. But when you've been previously warned about the things you do and still do them...Eventually the school will suspend you!

The school cited them for clogging the hallways after up to 40 classmates joined them in the Tebow craze.
"The administration told us that our Tebowing was blocking the halls and could potentially cause a riot, because they were growing in number and if the wrong kid gets pushed a brawl could ensue," football and baseball player Connor Carroll told Cameron Smith of Yahoo's Prep Rally (http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/N-Y-teens-suspended-for-Tebowing-in-school-hall?urn=highschool-wp9989).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBi3KxRJ8iY&feature=player_detailpage