PDA

View Full Version : Still fat!

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 03:32 PM
A year later and eating better and not smoking hasn't left me losing very much weight. Too much fluctuation (and too much junk food). This was taken right after I walked in the door from the gym a few minutes ago. I'm not in the habit of wearing the "muscle beaters", but after sitting in the sauna and working out, my body needs the air! That, and this gives the haters a chance to tell me how much tattoos suck! :coffee:

http://i39.tinypic.com/2mh9e79.jpg

Nukeman
12-21-2011, 03:46 PM
Dude where's your beer. With a shirt like that you need a beer:beer:

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 03:50 PM
Dude where's your beer. With a shirt like that you need a beer:beer:

I could go for a Corona! I very rarely drink, anymore. Then again, that's speaking of beer. Gimme some shots of vodka or jagermeister though! :beer:

Nukeman
12-21-2011, 03:54 PM
I could go for a Corona! I very rarely drink, anymore. Then again, that's speaking of beer. Gimme some shots of vodka or jagermeister though! :beer:

Eh Mine is a tumbler of diet Coke and Early Time's. gotta love CVS and their weekly special.. usualy 17.99 for a 1.75 liter.. ahh good times... good times...:laugh:

Noir
12-21-2011, 04:03 PM
But don't most people put on weight after giving up cus nicotine suppresses apatite or something?

Anyways, If you really wana lose weight put all that nasty meat away and come join us vegans, as a new member you'll be introduced to your local Vegan Hippy Lesbian Community, so you'll be too distracted to even see the pounds fall off ^,^

ConHog
12-21-2011, 04:06 PM
But don't most people put on weight after giving up cus nicotine suppresses apatite or something?

Anyways, If you really wana lose weight put all that nasty meat away and come join us vegans, as a new member you'll be introduced to your local Vegan Hippy Lesbian Community, so you'll be too distracted to even see the pounds fall off ^,^

I'd rather weigh 500 lbs then live one day without meat. FACT.

By the way, carbohydrates lead to fat, not protein. So it's your starches and such that need to be cut out.

Oh and you're a plant murderer.

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 04:10 PM

They say nicotine keeps you from eating, but I ate just well! I just ate more once I quite smoking. Now I'm learning to eat differently. But no sooner did I start losing weight as a result, some weight came back as the muscle started building.

You may have had a million to one chance of converting me if you had said that hot women are vegans and are easy, but I sure as shit ain't giving up meat so I can hit on hippies who dig other chicks! All watching and no touching gets boring quickly!! :laugh2:

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 04:11 PM

By the way, carbohydrates lead to fat, not protein. So it's your starches and such that need to be cut out.

Green tea, veggies, moderate amounts of meat... everything in moderation is the key. But I do just that, keep things in moderation, until the nightly munchies kick in. Then the calorie calculator breaks as I stuff my fat face full of sugars!!

ConHog
12-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Green tea, veggies, moderate amounts of meat... everything in moderation is the key. But I do just that, keep things in moderation, until the nightly munchies kick in. Then the calorie calculator breaks as I stuff my fat face full of sugars!!

I've seen fatties, and you're not one of them.
If I were your personal trainer I would suggest more sex with your wife. Let her know it has been proscribed.

:laugh2:

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 04:17 PM
I've seen fatties, and you're not one of them.
If I were your personal trainer I would suggest more sex with your wife. Let her know it has been proscribed.

My wife wouldn't give in if it were mandated by the courts. Come to think of it, I do see a difference in my weight ever since the "intimacy" portion of my marriage went downhill. I'm fat and it's the woman's fault!! :coffee:

ConHog
12-21-2011, 04:20 PM
My wife wouldn't give in if it were mandated by the courts. Come to think of it, I do see a difference in my weight ever since the "intimacy" portion of my marriage went downhill. I'm fat and it's the woman's fault!! :coffee:

Hmmm. I suggest flowers and some romancing might be in order. For some reason women like that kind of thing.

Trigg
12-21-2011, 04:28 PM
A year later and eating better and not smoking hasn't left me losing very much weight. Too much fluctuation (and too much junk food). This was taken right after I walked in the door from the gym a few minutes ago. I'm not in the habit of wearing the "muscle beaters", but after sitting in the sauna and working out, my body needs the air! That, and this gives the haters a chance to tell me how much tattoos suck! :coffee:http://i39.tinypic.com/2mh9e79.jpgWhat good is a skinny man who can't keep their woman warm in the winter time????

Abbey Marie
12-21-2011, 04:38 PM
Jim, call yourself fat again and I may be forced to post that lovely man-pic here!

MtnBiker
12-21-2011, 04:48 PM
A year later and eating better and not smoking hasn't left me losing very much weight. Too much fluctuation (and too much junk food). This was taken right after I walked in the door from the gym a few minutes ago. I'm not in the habit of wearing the "muscle beaters", but after sitting in the sauna and working out, my body needs the air! That, and this gives the haters a

This is what caught my eye the most, "not smoking". I think that is cool! I know that is not easy.

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 04:50 PM
What good is a skinny man who can't keep their woman warm in the winter time????

What good is the extra weight if I have no one to snuggle with? :(

Jim, call yourself fat again and I may be forced to post that lovely man-pic here!

Hey now, I said fat, not morbidly obese! I just have a belly that loves me so much it really doesn't want to leave me. Me and the gut have become best buddies! I can do fine with other portions of my body but the belly is obviously the hardest. I am working with a trainer who put me on a new routine recently, but his routine hasn't stopped the bad eating habits. Beef Jerky, that's one of my latest addictions. Can't help myself. Beef Jerky and potato chips go together great! And don't let me drink as we alluded to earlier. One of the last times I partied at my sisters house, after polishing off a few bottles of Jager with my brother in law, we ordered 8 large pizzas! Granted there was like 12-14 of us there, mostly the bratty kids, but I still ate like 6 or seven slices myself. I think I had a few for breakfast too. But those times are very rare, so that doesn't count. But the nighttime is the hardest for me. I like to watch movies and eat junk!

I just had coffee, can ya tell? :coffee:

ConHog
12-21-2011, 04:53 PM
What good is the extra weight if I have no one to snuggle with? :(

Hey now, I said fat, not morbidly obese! I just have a belly that loves me so much it really doesn't want to leave me. Me and the gut have become best buddies! I can do fine with other portions of my body but the belly is obviously the hardest. I am working with a trainer who put me on a new routine recently, but his routine hasn't stopped the bad eating habits. Beef Jerky, that's one of my latest addictions. Can't help myself. Beef Jerky and potato chips go together great! And don't let me drink as we alluded to earlier. One of the last times I partied at my sisters house, after polishing off a few bottles of Jager with my brother in law, we ordered 8 large pizzas! Granted there was like 12-14 of us there, mostly the bratty kids, but I still ate like 6 or seven slices myself. I think I had a few for breakfast too. But those times are very rare, so that doesn't count. But the nighttime is the hardest for me. I like to watch movies and eat junk!

I just had coffee, can ya tell? :coffee:

Running and swimming.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2011, 04:56 PM
I have a real weakness for salt bagels. Pizza is so bad around here, I hardly touch it anymore.

Jess
12-21-2011, 05:01 PM
They say nicotine keeps you from eating, but I ate just well! I just ate more once I quite smoking. Now I'm learning to eat differently. But no sooner did I start losing weight as a result, some weight came back as the muscle started building.

You may have had a million to one chance of converting me if you had said that hot women are vegans and are easy, but I sure as shit ain't giving up meat so I can hit on hippies who dig other chicks! All watching and no touching gets boring quickly!! :laugh2:

It's not about weight, Jimmy - it's about what you want. You want to be skinny? Get a divorce, or at least separate. Worked for me. Ask Gunny.

Anyway, you are going to weigh more if you work out cuz muscle weighs more than fat. But if you are getting into the shape you want, if you're lifting, etc then you're gonna be heavier. It doesn't mean you're not healthy.

Gunny is built like a power lifter (go figure) so he's not built like a light-weight but he's not fat by any stretch. His biceps are about the size of my thighs and he can throw me over his shoulder and carry me around - much to the entertainment and delight of the gelflings. The only complaint I have is that since he moved in, I'm not so stressed, have a partner who helps so I'm not as busy and I've gained some weight. I blame him. ;)

Just be healthy, Jimmy, don't worry about society's idea of fat or skinny. Be happy with you.

And yes, it's easier to give you advice than for me to take my own advice. :)

ConHog
12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
It's not about weight, Jimmy - it's about what you want. You want to be skinny? Get a divorce, or at least separate. Worked for me. Ask Gunny.

Anyway, you are going to weigh more if you work out cuz muscle weighs more than fat. But if you are getting into the shape you want, if you're lifting, etc then you're gonna be heavier. It doesn't mean you're not healthy.

Gunny is built like a power lifter (go figure) so he's not built like a light-weight but he's not fat by any stretch. His biceps are about the size of my thighs and he can throw me over his shoulder and carry me around - much to the entertainment and delight of the gelflings. The only complaint I have is that since he moved in, I'm not so stressed, have a partner who helps so I'm not as busy and I've gained some weight. I blame him. ;)

Just be healthy, Jimmy, don't worry about society's idea of fat or skinny. Be happy with you.

My wife is impressed when I do pushups with her standing on my back. When we first started dating I could even manage it one handed, but not any more. And that's entirely b/c of me, she weighs within 1 lb of what she did when we met.

Jess
12-21-2011, 05:06 PM
Oh, btw - nice tats. We who are inked gotta stick together.:cool:

Jess
12-21-2011, 05:11 PM
My wife is impressed when I do pushups with her standing on my back. When we first started dating I could even manage it one handed, but not any more. And that's entirely b/c of me, she weighs within 1 lb of what she did when we met.

I help Gunny work out on his weight bench. ;)

I don't weigh within 1 lb of when we met but keep in mind that i'm close to your age and have had three kids. A body is never the same after that - short of surgery. When my ex and I split, I ended up between 110 and 115. That's on a very athletic, 5' 7" frame. It wasn't healthy at all.

Jess
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM

What is it you always say? This thread is worthless without pics. :laugh:

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Running and swimming.

I detest running although I know it's great for you. I get the majority of my cardio from riding my bike here or at the gym. They have 2 pools at my gym and I haven't taken advantage of that yet.

I have a real weakness for salt bagels. Pizza is so bad around here, I hardly touch it anymore.

Even the bad pizza around here is good. I wish I could have a pie delivered every night! I love a good steak, but I think pizza is my favorite meal!

I'm definitely in MUCH better shape than I was 15 months back. I used to run upstairs at home and get light headed and need a break for awhile, with a smoke of course. Now I'm energetic almost all day and rarely get winded. I'm much stronger too. But I guess I spend a lot of time on the scale and in front of the mirror, then find ways to critique myself.

I try to just realize I am who I am, and be happy with that, but the bi-polar in me keeps me guessing I guess. And my one medication also keeps me from losing weight and is known to cause weight gain (Seroquel).

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Damn, wish I could do that. My latest exercise is starting out "planking" in a pushup position, but on my elbows. Hole that position for about 10 seconds and then move both arms into the full pushup position, and then back to the elbows. Doesn't sound like much, but I'm lifting a lot of fat off the ground!! LOL And the "planking" portion of it is an awesome exercise for the gut.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2011, 05:18 PM
http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens9238501_1264710685saggy_skin_.jpg

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Oh, btw - nice tats. We who are inked gotta stick together.:cool:

What is it you always say? This thread is worthless without pics. :laugh:

Righto you are, so show us the tats!!

ConHog
12-21-2011, 05:19 PM
I help Gunny work out on his weight bench. ;)

I don't weigh within 1 lb of when we met but keep in mind that i'm close to your age and have had three kids. A body is never the same after that - short of surgery. When my ex and I split, I ended up between 110 and 115. That's on a very athletic, 5' 7" frame. It wasn't healthy at all.

My wife is a little Mexican LOL. 5'4" 125

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens9238501_1264710685saggy_skin_.jpg

Oh my, not again. I'm going to have nightmares about this guy!! He apparently WAS fat. Looks like he weighed about 800lbs and then someone used a vacuum to suck the fat out of him leaving only droopy skin behind. YuK!

ConHog
12-21-2011, 05:20 PM
I detest running although I know it's great for you. I get the majority of my cardio from riding my bike here or at the gym. They have 2 pools at my gym and I haven't taken advantage of that yet.

Even the bad pizza around here is good. I wish I could have a pie delivered every night! I love a good steak, but I think pizza is my favorite meal!

I'm definitely in MUCH better shape than I was 15 months back. I used to run upstairs at home and get light headed and need a break for awhile, with a smoke of course. Now I'm energetic almost all day and rarely get winded. I'm much stronger too. But I guess I spend a lot of time on the scale and in front of the mirror, then find ways to critique myself.

I try to just realize I am who I am, and be happy with that, but the bi-polar in me keeps me guessing I guess. And my one medication also keeps me from losing weight and is known to cause weight gain (Seroquel).

I HATE running. I have to force myself to run, but my body is used to it.

Jess
12-21-2011, 05:22 PM

You're utterly EVIL!

That's awesome!!!!:cool:

Abbey Marie
12-21-2011, 05:23 PM
You're utterly EVIL!

That's awesome!!!!:cool:

Guaranteed to make all of us feel better about ourselves!

Jess
12-21-2011, 05:30 PM

ConHog
12-21-2011, 05:32 PM

I disagree , it's hard to feel better about yourself after puking all over yourself.

Gunny
12-21-2011, 05:32 PM
A year later and eating better and not smoking hasn't left me losing very much weight. Too much fluctuation (and too much junk food). This was taken right after I walked in the door from the gym a few minutes ago. I'm not in the habit of wearing the "muscle beaters", but after sitting in the sauna and working out, my body needs the air! That, and this gives the haters a chance to tell me how much tattoos suck! :coffee:

You look better than most. Quit kicking yourself in the ass.

DragonStryk72
12-21-2011, 05:42 PM

Actually, Nicotine is an upper, which raises your metabolism, so it's natural to gain some weight when you first come off the cigs. Let me ask, do you have a standard workout routine?

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Actually, Nicotine is an upper, which raises your metabolism, so it's natural to gain some weight when you first come off the cigs. Let me ask, do you have a standard workout routine?

Yep, been faithfully going to the gym 3-5x per week since the day I gave up the smokes. The routine was fairly the same the whole time, until a couple weeks back when I started a new routine with a trainers assistance. I also have a routine of eating food that is bad for me. :(

DragonStryk72
12-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Yep, been faithfully going to the gym 3-5x per week since the day I gave up the smokes. The routine was fairly the same the whole time, until a couple weeks back when I started a new routine with a trainers assistance. I also have a routine of eating food that is bad for me. :(

lol, well, actually, it's more about the stagnated routine. Your body gets used to things, so the same workouts, even with increased times and weight, follows the law of diminishing returns. If you study most guys who are really cut, they'll talk about how they vary up their routines, finding new ways to "attack" their bodies. As to the eating thing, I know, I have Papa John's on speed dial and online order, it's hard.

My suggestion there is to give yourself preset splurges every so often, either on a specific day of the week, or when you hit certain goals. As well, you might look at changing your actual eating cycle over to eating 5 smaller meals about three hours a part, and not eating late at night. Jorge Cruz has a really interesting book on it, and he does include some "bad" foods in the plan, cause making yourself miserable isn't going to help, since stress increases fat gain.

Oh, and there's this book called Eat This, Not That, that can help switch you to eating healthier versions of the same bad food you're eating now. Yes, they include a section on pizza.

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 06:07 PM
lol, well, actually, it's more about the stagnated routine. Your body gets used to things, so the same workouts, even with increased times and weight, follows the law of diminishing returns. If you study most guys who are really cut, they'll talk about how they vary up their routines, finding new ways to "attack" their bodies. As to the eating thing, I know, I have Papa John's on speed dial and online order, it's hard.

My suggestion there is to give yourself preset splurges every so often, either on a specific day of the week, or when you hit certain goals. As well, you might look at changing your actual eating cycle over to eating 5 smaller meals about three hours a part, and not eating late at night. Jorge Cruz has a really interesting book on it, and he does include some "bad" foods in the plan, cause making yourself miserable isn't going to help, since stress increases fat gain.

Oh, and there's this book called Eat This, Not That, that can help switch you to eating healthier versions of the same bad food you're eating now. Yes, they include a section on pizza.

Now you're sounding like the trainer at my gym! I'm a creature of habit and fall into "routines" with everything I do in life. But I'll tell ya, I know both you and the trainer are right, as when he switched my weight training and abs training, the muscles started hurting again like I never worked out before. He calls it working out the "core", and I call it pain! LOL

I'll have to check out the book, and tell my wife to read it! She already pushes the healthy stuff on me and doesn't buy much crap - but that doesn't stop Jim from doing a little shopping of his own and hiding a few goodies! :coffee:

DragonStryk72
12-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Now you're sounding like the trainer at my gym! I'm a creature of habit and fall into "routines" with everything I do in life. But I'll tell ya, I know both you and the trainer are right, as when he switched my weight training and abs training, the muscles started hurting again like I never worked out before. He calls it working out the "core", and I call it pain! LOL

I'll have to check out the book, and tell my wife to read it! She already pushes the healthy stuff on me and doesn't buy much crap - but that doesn't stop Jim from doing a little shopping of his own and hiding a few goodies! :coffee:

That's the reason the diet is working for me. I know my downfall is my damn sweet tooth and snacking, so eating something small every few hours as opposed to the three big meals removes the between time where I start getting a little bit hungry and hit the snacks.

jimnyc
12-21-2011, 06:24 PM
That's the reason the diet is working for me. I know my downfall is my damn sweet tooth and snacking, so eating something small every few hours as opposed to the three big meals removes the between time where I start getting a little bit hungry and hit the snacks.

My wife gets me a shitload of celery sticks, carrot sticks, healthy dips, nuts, crackers - and tells me to eat things moderately and that it'll help fight the hunger AND make me healthy. It's just not as fun. Ever get REALLY REALLY hungry around 10pm - when on a diet? that's like asking a crack addict to avoid the pipe! LOL

I have all of the know how, and supplies, it's just a matter of execution. Blueberry Pop Tarts or some celery sticks and low fat dip - Kellogs wins 9 out of 10 times! :laugh2:

DragonStryk72
12-21-2011, 06:40 PM
My wife gets me a shitload of celery sticks, carrot sticks, healthy dips, nuts, crackers - and tells me to eat things moderately and that it'll help fight the hunger AND make me healthy. It's just not as fun. Ever get REALLY REALLY hungry around 10pm - when on a diet? that's like asking a crack addict to avoid the pipe! LOL

I have all of the know how, and supplies, it's just a matter of execution. Blueberry Pop Tarts or some celery sticks and low fat dip - Kellogs wins 9 out of 10 times! :laugh2:

Or, you could have blueberries dipped in chocolate, both healthy and tasty. Or there raspberries with a dark chocolate drizzle. there's no reason for snacks to not be tasty.

Jess
12-21-2011, 07:01 PM
Or, you could have blueberries dipped in chocolate, both healthy and tasty. Or there raspberries with a dark chocolate drizzle. there's no reason for snacks to not be tasty.

Thank God! A sane man who knows that chocolate makes everything ok. :laugh:

For real though, dark chocolate is the way to go when dieting. And blueberries are the shiz-nizzle of good snacking foods. I read an article recently - don't remember where - that we won't over-eat blueberries because they are blue and we don't have any ocular addictions to blue foods. Something about how foods look can cause us to binge on them as much as the taste itself does. Dunno. Kinda makes sense to me.

Abbey Marie
12-21-2011, 07:19 PM
I disagree , it's hard to feel better about yourself after puking all over yourself.

:laugh2: Ironically, that almost made me spit out my Spearmint Tea.

Noir
12-21-2011, 07:52 PM

You meat eaters murder more plants than us vegans! =P

Nu, thats only to get started, once you have proven yourself then you're introduced to all the hot bi/pani vegan hippies ^__^ or so they keep telling me.

ConHog
12-21-2011, 07:58 PM
You meat eaters murder more plants than us vegans! =P

Nu, thats only to get started, once you have proven yourself then you're introduced to all the hot bi/pani vegan hippies ^__^ or so they keep telling me.

Seems like that would be the other way around. They'd give you all the hot bi chicks a new recruit could handle then once hooked, only lesbos.

Yall suck at recruiting, that's why there aren't more vegans. :laugh2:

Shadow
12-21-2011, 09:13 PM

Not fat...and I don't see anything wrong with your tatoo's either. You're very nice looking (could smile more though).

logroller
12-22-2011, 02:09 AM
The wife and I went on the flat belly diet; it focuses on lots of water, portion control (4x400 Cal meals) and MUFAs, ( the healthy monounsaturated fats)-- I lost 2 inches in a month. The reasoning is if you don't eat some fats, your body freaks out and wont burn what you've got stored; additionally, regular small meals keep the digestive track moving, whereas less frequent larger meals allow food to sit too long in the gut, having longer to absorb and the body just stores it there for later. Its tough the first few days/weeks, while your stomach shrinks-- I felt so hungry. But meal planning is the key; if you wait until you're hungry-- you'll eat more and worse. Speaking of quitting smoking, congrats by the way, did you use any cessation products? Or just cold turkey?

Gunny
12-22-2011, 02:35 AM
Not fat...and I don't see anything wrong with your tatoo's either. You're very nice looking (could smile more though).

Somebody's been getting in his head.

red states rule
12-22-2011, 03:36 AM
Thank God! A sane man who knows that chocolate makes everything ok. :laugh:

For real though, dark chocolate is the way to go when dieting. And blueberries are the shiz-nizzle of good snacking foods. I read an article recently - don't remember where - that we won't over-eat blueberries because they are blue and we don't have any ocular addictions to blue foods. Something about how foods look can cause us to binge on them as much as the taste itself does. Dunno. Kinda makes sense to me.

If there is no chocolate in Heaven, I am not going

darin
12-22-2011, 07:10 AM

Gay. :p :D

What good is a skinny man who can't keep their woman warm in the winter time????

Women say that, yet demand:

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/10/05/article-2045700-0E3687E900000578-895_634x794.jpg

Now, I tell ya, He's hot. I get that. But AS a 'fat guy' who is sorta 'skinny fat' - I mean, i'm not perfectly round, nor GROSS fat, but as a guy with probably 20 extra pounds lately, maybe 30, I wear it pretty well and women STILL do not find me attractive. (based on my vibe from women, which admittedly, is likely severely retarded/withered.)

I have a real weakness for salt bagels.

I need to change my name to 'salt bagels' :)

If there is no chocolate in Heaven, I am not going

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/397614_333979849964808_205344452828349_1252311_203 1670286_n.jpg

re: Eating - just picked up a vegan cookbook (http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/ras-rody-organic-sips-bites-sweets/18347663?productTrackingContext=search_results/search_shelf/center/1) by a guy I met in Jamaica (http://www.roadsidefoodprojects.com/2011/08/manifesto-for-healthy-living/).

I'm not going vegan; but I like good food.

CSM
12-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Must be someting in the air. I started a powerlifting/cross fit routine about three months ago. My sons decided I was getting too fat and old (they can't do anything about the ugly part). We go to the gym 6 days a week. This is week 12. I have lost 5 inches around the waist and lost about 15 pounds. Now we are starting the eating right part. Good thing I like fruits and most vegetables. None of us are giving up the meat though. The good thing is that two of the boys have been doing this since before their deployment to the sand box and know this stuff inside and out. They change up the routines every week. I have to admit that I feel a lot stronger but have not lost as much weight as I think I need to. About 15 more pounds should do it. It is also hard not to compare myself to the two "iron men"; I watch them do the power lifting routines and marvel at how much weight they are tossing around. I am getting better at it each week though and can really see progress.

The cross fit stuff is just plain killer. I feel good afterwards but that's because the pain finally stops! We throw in a little cardio like running for dessert each day too. I think the boys are trying to do me in so they can have my stuff!

revelarts
12-22-2011, 07:41 AM
Jim, don't beat yourself down it's counter productive after awhile, My optimistic side as i get older always tell me, look, your doing a little better than yesterday, that's a lot better than nothing, keep moving.

I saw this documentary a few weeks ago, it's interesting, inspiring and informative.
http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/
this lead guy didn't go vegan for life but did do a green Juice fast for 60 days, Along the way he met someone else in worse condition than himself, weight and the health wise, who was ready to make drastic changes so he juice fasted as well for 60 days but continued for I think 120 days after he saw the benefits of just 60, the Health and weight changes were dramatic, others the Australian guy met took his challenge and found some benefits as well, one woman migraines stopped. Good stuff.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LRtSo-YpWbk?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

jimnyc
12-22-2011, 10:54 AM

Why thank you! I'm not big on smiling, not happy with my teeth either! LOL I guess you can say I have low self esteem. :laugh2:

The wife and I went on the flat belly diet; it focuses on lots of water, portion control (4x400 Cal meals) and MUFAs, ( the healthy monounsaturated fats)-- I lost 2 inches in a month. The reasoning is if you don't eat some fats, your body freaks out and wont burn what you've got stored; additionally, regular small meals keep the digestive track moving, whereas less frequent larger meals allow food to sit too long in the gut, having longer to absorb and the body just stores it there for later. Its tough the first few days/weeks, while your stomach shrinks-- I felt so hungry. But meal planning is the key; if you wait until you're hungry-- you'll eat more and worse. Speaking of quitting smoking, congrats by the way, did you use any cessation products? Or just cold turkey?

Yeap, read all about the stored fats and how your body eats certain fats at certain times. I guess I need to substitute a little healthy food in there with the coffee during the day. When I first quit smoking I tried the electric cigarettes, which DO work, but not for me as I'm an addict with everything I touched. I quit cold turkey and never looked back, expect for when I suffered like I was in hell for the first couple of weeks!

Must be someting in the air. I started a powerlifting/cross fit routine about three months ago. My sons decided I was getting too fat and old (they can't do anything about the ugly part). We go to the gym 6 days a week. This is week 12. I have lost 5 inches around the waist and lost about 15 pounds. Now we are starting the eating right part. Good thing I like fruits and most vegetables. None of us are giving up the meat though. The good thing is that two of the boys have been doing this since before their deployment to the sand box and know this stuff inside and out. They change up the routines every week. I have to admit that I feel a lot stronger but have not lost as much weight as I think I need to. About 15 more pounds should do it. It is also hard not to compare myself to the two "iron men"; I watch them do the power lifting routines and marvel at how much weight they are tossing around. I am getting better at it each week though and can really see progress.

The cross fit stuff is just plain killer. I feel good afterwards but that's because the pain finally stops! We throw in a little cardio like running for dessert each day too. I think the boys are trying to do me in so they can have my stuff!

Congrats, sounds like you're making good progress! We should make a "fitness" forum here some day and learn from what others succeed and fail with.

Jim, don't beat yourself down it's counter productive after awhile, My optimistic side as i get older always tell me, look, your doing a little better than yesterday, that's a lot better than nothing, keep moving.

I saw this documentary a few weeks ago, it's interesting, inspiring and informative.
http://www.fatsickandnearlydead.com/
this lead guy didn't go vegan for life but did do a green Juice fast for 60 days, Along the way he met someone else in worse condition than himself, weight and the health wise, who was ready to make drastic changes so he juice fasted as well for 60 days but continued for I think 120 days after he saw the benefits of just 60, the Health and weight changes were dramatic, others the Australian guy met took his challenge and found some benefits as well, one woman migraines stopped. Good stuff.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"></object>

I did do the juice thing for a bit, just not entirely. And it DOES work, but I would only recommend for "cleansing" your body. As soon as you go back to a regular diet you will put the majority of the weight back on. But if you eat "right", you will only put the "majority" back on, and you're body will be leaner and better for it. Now if I could only do that and stick with it! LOL

ConHog
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
Why thank you! I'm not big on smiling, not happy with my teeth either! LOL I guess you can say I have low self esteem. :laugh2:

Yeap, read all about the stored fats and how your body eats certain fats at certain times. I guess I need to substitute a little healthy food in there with the coffee during the day. When I first quit smoking I tried the electric cigarettes, which DO work, but not for me as I'm an addict with everything I touched. I quit cold turkey and never looked back, expect for when I suffered like I was in hell for the first couple of weeks!

Congrats, sounds like you're making good progress! We should make a "fitness" forum here some day and learn from what others succeed and fail with.

I did do the juice thing for a bit, just not entirely. And it DOES work, but I would only recommend for "cleansing" your body. As soon as you go back to a regular diet you will put the majority of the weight back on. But if you eat "right", you will only put the "majority" back on, and you're body will be leaner and better for it. Now if I could only do that and stick with it! LOL

I'm telling you. 5 mile run daily along with 100 pushups and 100 situps a day (as well as the associated warmups) and you can eat and drink whatever you want. Now as I get older I find myself less enthused about the exercise and more enthused about the eating and I am gaining some weight no matter how much I exercise and don't even get me started on the performance differences between now and 10 years ao. Takes me almost twice as long to run that 5 miles; but you do what you have to .

Gunny
12-22-2011, 11:21 AM
I'm telling you. 5 mile run daily along with 100 pushups and 100 situps a day (as well as the associated warmups) and you can eat and drink whatever you want. Now as I get older I find myself less enthused about the exercise and more enthused about the eating and I am gaining some weight no matter how much I exercise and don't even get me started on the performance differences between now and 10 years ao. Takes me almost twice as long to run that 5 miles; but you do what you have to .

I was talking to the man in the mirror and I can STILL put 200 lbs over my head. On a bad day. Jimmy's got to do what Jimmy's got to do.

CSM
12-22-2011, 11:53 AM
I was talking to the man in the mirror and I can STILL put 200 lbs over my head. On a bad day. Jimmy's got to do what Jimmy's got to do.

Yep. And I'm here to tell you that it doesn't get any easier with age either. I hate running and I sure am not as fast as I used to be but I still get at least 2 miles (Army PT test) in the alloted time. I also can tell you that even small injuries (pulled muscles, bruises, etc.) take a lot longer to heal. It's tough being old. Truth of the matter is, I don't see a lot of guys my age (60+) at the gym. I figure thay are all home buying that new walker or out running marathons. On the good side, though strength fades fast (if you don't do anything), you can keep reasonably strong with consistent strength training. The cardio is a MUST, regardless.

Everyone has their own strengths/weaknesses and we each have to adjust our health routines to them. Maintain the strengths and work on the weaknesses.

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:00 PM
By the way, I think a "health" forum would be great. I could use some encouragement sometimes and would be interested in what others are doing to get/stay healthy.

darin
12-22-2011, 12:09 PM
DP "Biggest Loser" forum? :)

ConHog
12-22-2011, 12:18 PM
Yep. And I'm here to tell you that it doesn't get any easier with age either. I hate running and I sure am not as fast as I used to be but I still get at least 2 miles (Army PT test) in the alloted time. I also can tell you that even small injuries (pulled muscles, bruises, etc.) take a lot longer to heal. It's tough being old. Truth of the matter is, I don't see a lot of guys my age (60+) at the gym. I figure thay are all home buying that new walker or out running marathons. On the good side, though strength fades fast (if you don't do anything), you can keep reasonably strong with consistent strength training. The cardio is a MUST, regardless.

Everyone has their own strengths/weaknesses and we each have to adjust our health routines to them. Maintain the strengths and work on the weaknesses.

Over 60 and can still pass the PT standards? Impressive. I think I'll be able to when I get there, but the situps UGH.

ConHog
12-22-2011, 12:20 PM

I still say that after looking at his picture that Jimmy doesn't need to do anything extreme. It's not like he's a tub of lard. I run 5 miles a day 5 days a week and the other exercises because I like being in better than good shape. In noway do I think a guy who just wants to lose a few pounds need to do what I do.

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:30 PM
Over 60 and can still pass the PT standards? Impressive. I think I'll be able to when I get there, but the situps UGH.

It sure isn't easy! I pretty much meet the standard for a 54 year old. Situps are the toughest. It's a good thing there are a lot of them built into the cross fit routines we do. Believe me, when I retired, I quit doing ANYTHING and blossomed to a very robust 220 pounds which is really bad for a guy 5'9". Tried a diet or two after a couple of years but just couldn't seem to stay on it. Did manage to lose about 30 pounds and keep it off. This last 12 weeks have been awesome though. My weight is coming down ever so slowly but not fluctuating like when I tried to diet. Not that any of this is easy. If it was, we would all be "beautiful people".

It can be done and I guess what I am trying to say is ... HANG IN THERE whoever is trying to get healthy!

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:32 PM

LOL! I don't think "biggest loser" works for me. I have about 15 pounds to go to be where I want to be. Now if I weigh 250 pounds, well then maybe I could be a biggest loser (weight wise).

Abbey Marie
12-22-2011, 12:39 PM
I still say that after looking at his picture that Jimmy doesn't need to do anything extreme. It's not like he's a tub of lard. I run 5 miles a day 5 days a week and the other exercises because I like being in better than good shape. In noway do I think a guy who just wants to lose a few pounds need to do what I do.

I've heard a tub of lard makes the best pies. ;)

darin
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
we'd do it by percentage. :)

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:40 PM
I've heard a tub of lard makes the best pies. ;)

Lard, butter, bacon and sugar! What more could a man want?

Abbey Marie
12-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Lard, butter, bacon and sugar! What more could a man want?

Well, I'm told there is one more thing. ;)

ConHog
12-22-2011, 12:45 PM

I don't think you're a man either. :laugh2:

darin
12-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Vitamin T and Vitamin A... :)

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Vitamin T and Vitamin A... :)

At my age those are merely fond memories! Not really but you know what happens to vitamins when they get old!

ConHog
12-22-2011, 12:48 PM
LOL! I don't think "biggest loser" works for me. I have about 15 pounds to go to be where I want to be. Now if I weigh 250 pounds, well then maybe I could be a biggest loser (weight wise).

Ugh , shades of my mom. She's 5'0" (barely) and weighs I'd guess around 135-145 lbs. She has a sister who is 5'7" or so and weighs at least 240 lbs (I'm not kidding bitch is all pro linebacker sized) They go on a diet together and all I hear is my mom bitching about how much more weight my aunt drops then her. No matter how much I try to explain to her that a lardass losing 20 lbs is MUCH easier than someone who is just a few lbs overweight losing 5 pounds is, she doesn't seem to get it. And yes the minute the diet is over my aunt gains back everything she lost, and then some.

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM

There is one more thing but I forget what it is!

jimnyc
12-22-2011, 12:49 PM

My luck and we would be sued! Maybe "Fat Bastards Anonymous"? :laugh2:

Do you think a fitness forum would be worth creating? I think it would be good at first and then slowly get ignored and die out - just like my diet attempts!

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM
Ugh , shades of my mom. She's 5'0" (barely) and weighs I'd guess around 135-145 lbs. She has a sister who is 5'7" or so and weighs at least 240 lbs (I'm not kidding bitch is all pro linebacker sized) They go on a diet together and all I hear is my mom bitching about how much more weight my aunt drops then her. No matter how much I try to explain to her that a lardass losing 20 lbs is MUCH easier than someone who is just a few lbs overweight losing 5 pounds is, she doesn't seem to get it. And yes the minute the diet is over my aunt gains back everything she lost, and then some.

Oh yeah. That last mile is always the hardest.

ConHog
12-22-2011, 12:50 PM

Do you think a fitness forum would be worth creating? I think it would be good at first and then slowly get ignored and die out - just like my diet attempts!

I would prefer a post a pic of your boobs forum (female and attractive only)

Abbey Marie
12-22-2011, 12:51 PM

We already have a Science and Health forum. :cool:

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:53 PM

I am not so sure it would die out. Might be worth a try and if it doesn't work out you can always dump it. I would love to exchange ideas and get some encouragement from some folks here. Don't mind sharing my get healthy experiences either. I imagine there would be some posters trying to abuse such a forum to preach or troll but *meh* they can be ignored.

jimnyc
12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
I am not so sure it would die out. Might be worth a try and if it doesn't work out you can always dump it. I would love to exchange ideas and get some encouragement from some folks here. Don't mind sharing my get healthy experiences either. I imagine there would be some posters trying to abuse such a forum to preach or troll but *meh* they can be ignored.

Do we have a second and third to the motion?

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:54 PM
We already have a Science and Health forum. :cool:

Dang! I didn't know that! Seriously!

ConHog
12-22-2011, 12:55 PM

I still say a new forum should be one where bozos like OCA and PB, and Virgil can be brought back and post all they want, but only there and the rest of us can go throw tomatoes at them .

CSM
12-22-2011, 12:58 PM
I still say a new forum should be one where bozos like OCA and PB, and Virgil can be brought back and post all they want, but only there and the rest of us can go throw tomatoes at them .

Why waste the tomatoes?

ConHog
12-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Why waste the tomatoes?

Okay, then poopy diapers

jimnyc
12-22-2011, 01:05 PM
If you're reading this post, or this thread, then you've found the new forum to discuss fitness. Hopefully it'll prompt a lot of discussion where we can all learn better and new ways to stay in shape!

CSM
12-22-2011, 01:25 PM
If you're reading this post, or this thread, then you've found the new forum to discuss fitness. Hopefully it'll prompt a lot of discussion where we can all learn better and new ways to stay in shape!

Awesome. Tomorrow I will post a sample of the routine my sons have set up. They go in four week cycles. I don't have it all memorized and it changes to keep from getting boring. They send me the routine at the beginning of the four week cycle and a new cross fit routine every week. Basically, it goes like this:

Monday: Upper body strength training (2 core lifts such as bench press and overhead press). Then augmentation exercises like pull ups, dips, and preacher curls. For dessert, you get cardio like run, bike or elliptical.

Tuesday: Cross fit (sometimes reps for time)

Wednsday: Olympic lifts (2 core lifts such as clean and jerk and deadlifts) followed by augmentation exercises and cardio for dessert.

Thursday: rest day

Friday: Lower body strength training (again two core lifts such as squats and leg press) followed by cardio.

Saturday: Cross fit

Sunday: rest day.

If you are just starting , be aware not to overdue it because you can really hurt yourself. Proper form is paramount because it helps prevent injury especially when you get into the heavier weights. Just so you know, I started with just the bar (no weights) to learn the proper forms for each exercise.

I could use some advice on getting and staying hydrated ... I am not very good at that. I know "Drink more water" but I just can't seem to drink that much water! Also, looking for ideas on good "snack" recipes based on fruits or vegetables. Right now I eat lots of carrots and celery, nuts (mostly almonds).

ConHog
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM

Masturbating, but you gotta remember too switch off once in awhile lest you have a right arm that is noticeably bigger than the left.

Not that I know anything about this from personal experience you understand.

CSM
12-22-2011, 01:28 PM
Masturbating, but you gotta remember too switch off once in awhile lest you have a right arm that is noticeably bigger than the left.

Not that I know anything about this from personal experience you understand.

You presume everyone is right handed! Some are ambidexterous and then there are those perverted left handers (that aint natural I tell ya)!

ConHog
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Awesome. Tomorrow I will post a sample of the routine my sons have set up. They go in four week cycles. I don't have it all memorized and it changes to keep from getting boring. They send me the routine at the beginning of the four week cycle and a new cross fit routine every week. Basically, it goes like this:

Monday: Upper body strength training (2 core lifts such as bench press and overhead press). Then augmentation exercises like pull ups, dips, and preacher curls. For dessert, you get cardio like run, bike or elliptical.

Tuesday: Cross fit (sometimes reps for time)

Wednsday: Olympic lifts (2 core lifts such as clean and jerk and deadlifts) followed by augmentation exercises and cardio for dessert.

Thursday: rest day

Friday: Lower body strength training (again two core lifts such as squats and leg press) followed by cardio.

Saturday: Cross fit

Sunday: rest day.

If you are just starting , be aware not to overdue it because you can really hurt yourself. Proper form is paramount because it helps prevent injury especially when you get into the heavier weights. Just so you know, I started with just the bar (no weights) to learn the proper forms for each exercise.

I could use some advice on getting and staying hydrated ... I am not very good at that. I know "Drink more water" but I just can't seem to drink that much water! Also, looking for ideas on good "snack" recipes based on fruits or vegetables. Right now I eat lots of carrots and celery, nuts (mostly almonds).

I was always told to stay away from the power lift type exercises (especially the clean and jerk) too much danger of back injury. And of course now they recommend crunches rather than situps.

As for hydration. I prefer Gatorade to water. Not only does it taste better, but it has additional benefits that water just doesn't cover. I drink it like a mofo when I'm running.

Also , wear a proper outfit that helps your body naturally retain some of the moisture it would otherwise lose. I never understood those dues that run shirtless.

Might try shopping here for clothes and such

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

Gunny
12-22-2011, 01:44 PM

Not the man in mirror I was talking to. However, you are correct. I turned 52 yesterday. And I don't have any new toys. I can't run. My knees are shot. I can however clean and press more than I weigh.

CSM
12-22-2011, 01:46 PM
I was always told to stay away from the power lift type exercises (especially the clean and jerk) too much danger of back injury. And of course now they recommend crunches rather than situps.

As for hydration. I prefer Gatorade to water. Not only does it taste better, but it has additional benefits that water just doesn't cover. I drink it like a mofo when I'm running.

Also , wear a proper outfit that helps your body naturally retain some of the moisture it would otherwise lose. I never understood those dues that run shirtless.

Might try shopping here for clothes and such

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/

The power lift stuff can be bad IF you don't get the form right. Heck I practiced just the forms for each lift at home with a broomstick and a mirror with occassional critique from the boys until I got them right. Didn't add any weight at all until the third week and that was really light to start at that. Did LOTS of crunches at first too simply because my big fat gut wouldn't allow me to do a dang sit-up. Lots and lots of crunches!

I'll try the Gatorade. Plain water is ok but I just can't seem to bring myself to drink enough of it to stay hydrated. For clothes, I wear the UnderArmor stuff. Very comfortable. My sons got me some when I first started because they didn't like my OLD (and I mean OLD) Army issue PT stuff (I guess they were embarassed!). I wear running shoes for most exercises except upper body and Olympic lifts. I lift those barefoot because most shoes and sneakers poise your body forward which is a bad thing for upper body work/powerlifting.

CSM
12-22-2011, 01:48 PM
Not the man in mirror I was talking to. However, you are correct. I turned 52 yesterday. And I don't have any new toys. I can't run. My knees are shot. I can however clean and press more than I weigh.

Yer a punk kid! I was busy in the jungles befor you reached puberty! Just yanking yer chain donchya know.

You are the same age as my current wife. She turned 52 on the 18th.

ConHog
12-22-2011, 01:49 PM
The power lift stuff can be bad IF you don't get the form right. Heck I practiced just the forms for each lift at home with a broomstick and a mirror with occassional critique from the boys until I got them right. Didn't add any weight at all until the third week and that was really light to start at that. Did LOTS of crunches at first too simply because my big fat gut wouldn't allow me to do a dang sit-up. Lots and lots of crunches!

I'll try the Gatorade. Plain water is ok but I just can't seem to bring myself to drink enough of it to stay hydrated. For clothes, I wear the UnderArmor stuff. Very comfortable. My sons got me some when I first started because they didn't like my OLD (and I mean OLD) Army issue PT stuff (I guess they were embarassed!). I wear running shoes for most exercises except upper body and Olympic lifts. I lift those barefoot because most shoes and sneakers poise your body forward which is a bad thing for upper body work/powerlifting.

LOL I still remember the 70s style yellow short shorts with blue piping I wore for PT in boot LOL .

CSM
12-22-2011, 01:54 PM
LOL I still remember the 70s style yellow short shorts with blue piping I wore for PT in boot LOL .

I'll just say that you must have been stylin! My old stuff wasn't that pretty!

darin
12-22-2011, 01:56 PM
wow. Old dudes. :D

ConHog
12-22-2011, 01:57 PM
I'll just say that you must have been stylin! My old stuff wasn't that pretty!

Funniest part was we had this one private, he would wear his boxers under those shorts and well the boxers were longer than the shorts, so .........

we had another Private who wore NOTHING under his, so you definitely didn't want to be his situp buddy.

CSM
12-22-2011, 01:58 PM
wow. Old dudes. :D

Like you are all brand new and stuff! LOL!

CSM
12-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Funniest part was we had this one private, he would wear his boxers under those shorts and well the boxers were longer than the shorts, so .........

we had another Private who wore NOTHING under his, so you definitely didn't want to be his situp buddy.

Yeah, I didn't get those guys who liked to go "commando". They didn't do so well in the jungle and a lot of them had crotch-rot so bad you could smell em a mile away. Not good!

Gaffer
12-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I didn't get those guys who liked to go "commando". They didn't do so well in the jungle and a lot of them had crotch-rot so bad you could smell em a mile away. Not good!

I slugged it out in the jungle and we learned early on it was best to go commando as it did cut down on the crotch rot and rashes. Also twice a week they would bring out a pile of clean uniforms, push them off the chopper and we would go through them to find something that would fit. Underwear was not part of that delivery. And carrying changes of underwear in your pack was not practical, it just took up space and added weight. Wading streams or moving in a heavy rain meant everything got soaked.

As for PT. Try running the two miles in combat boots and regular fatigue pants. And try running 5 miles in full combat gear (daily). The only PT outfits we had were to take off our fatigue shirts. Taking off the shirt put you in full PT gear.

ConHog
12-22-2011, 03:24 PM
I can't wait til Gunny gets in this thread and calls all us Army guys pussies and tells us stories of how in Boot he had to run PT naked and shoeless 12 mile runs full combat pack , carrying an M60 , in 6" of snow UPHILL , BOTH ways. :laugh2:

just kidding Gunny

Gaffer
12-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I can't wait til Gunny gets in this thread and calls all us Army guys pussies and tells us stories of how in Boot he had to run PT naked and shoeless 12 mile runs full combat pack , carrying an M60 , in 6" of snow UPHILL , BOTH ways. :laugh2:

just kidding Gunny

Your close but a little off. Naked and bare foot would reduce weight. Can't have that. The full combat pack is correct. Only the biggest guys in the platoon would have the M60's. The rest would carry M14's. The snow would only be there if it's available. UPHILL both ways is correct.

Our senior drill sergeant in basic was a Marine. First thing he told us was " You are not getting Marine boot training here. But I'm going to get as close to it as I can." I think the only thing that was missing was the hands on discipline. :thumb:

logroller
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM

How bout "Fatty Forum"...or something with a sexual overtures, like "Chub Club.";)

Kind of aside, but not really. I had my annual mall trip today, shopping for the wife, and a kiosk girl tried selling me on some sort of wickless candle air freshener, I said i'd buy if they had a bacon scent...Seriously though, how great would it be if you kitchen smelled like bacon? Mmmmm, bacon.

ConHog
12-22-2011, 08:02 PM
Your close but a little off. Naked and bare foot would reduce weight. Can't have that. The full combat pack is correct. Only the biggest guys in the platoon would have the M60's. The rest would carry M14's. The snow would only be there if it's available. UPHILL both ways is correct.

Our senior drill sergeant in basic was a Marine. First thing he told us was " You are not getting Marine boot training here. But I'm going to get as close to it as I can." I think the only thing that was missing was the hands on discipline. :thumb:

Our senior drill sergeant was Satan himself. Fucker looked like Barney Rubble, but he was Satan. There is NOTHING worse than a ten mile march in six inches of sand in July in New Jersey while wearing full cammos, carrying a full combat load and an M16 right after going through the gas chamber . UGH, the gas chamber .......

Jess
12-22-2011, 10:12 PM

Gunny DID carry the M60 A1 7.62 mm. He could break it down and put it back together. Just sayin'. :cool:

Jess
12-22-2011, 10:13 PM

Backwards. They had to run backwards, naked and shoeless, uphill both ways. ;)

gabosaurus
12-23-2011, 01:10 AM
My dad told me "never trust a fat guy with tattoos."
So I married a fat guy without any. ;)

red states rule
12-23-2011, 04:40 AM

Don't worry about it.

The only time you have to worry is if the twinkle in your eye is only the reflection of the sun on your bifocals

or if your joints are more accurate then the local weather forcast

Other then that - have fun

CSM
12-23-2011, 07:12 AM
I slugged it out in the jungle and we learned early on it was best to go commando as it did cut down on the crotch rot and rashes. Also twice a week they would bring out a pile of clean uniforms, push them off the chopper and we would go through them to find something that would fit. Underwear was not part of that delivery. And carrying changes of underwear in your pack was not practical, it just took up space and added weight. Wading streams or moving in a heavy rain meant everything got soaked.

As for PT. Try running the two miles in combat boots and regular fatigue pants. And try running 5 miles in full combat gear (daily). The only PT outfits we had were to take off our fatigue shirts. Taking off the shirt put you in full PT gear.

Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I was talking about the guys who went commando during training where you get a shower everyday, etc. I too did the PT thing in combat boots; heck I used to smoke while running (plt sgt bringing up the rear...heh). As I remember, when PT/first started becoming really important, there was no PT uniform except as you describe and the test consisted of things like run/dodge/jump and grenade throw (???). It was just stupid. On a side not, I always hated wading streams etc because of the leeches. There were leeches without crossing streams for cryin out loud. I hate leeches!

CSM
12-23-2011, 07:17 AM
How bout "Fatty Forum"...or something with a sexual overtures, like "Chub Club.";)

Kind of aside, but not really. I had my annual mall trip today, shopping for the wife, and a kiosk girl tried selling me on some sort of wickless candle air freshener, I said i'd buy if they had a bacon scent...Seriously though, how great would it be if you kitchen smelled like bacon? Mmmmm, bacon.

My wife sells that kind of stuff and I tell her the same thing!

I am waiting for all this workout/diet stuff to kick in on the romance side but it just aint happenin! Like my kids say "You can't do anything about the ugly, Dad".

Gunny
12-23-2011, 08:59 AM
It sure isn't easy! I pretty much meet the standard for a 54 year old. Situps are the toughest. It's a good thing there are a lot of them built into the cross fit routines we do. Believe me, when I retired, I quit doing ANYTHING and blossomed to a very robust 220 pounds which is really bad for a guy 5'9". Tried a diet or two after a couple of years but just couldn't seem to stay on it. Did manage to lose about 30 pounds and keep it off. This last 12 weeks have been awesome though. My weight is coming down ever so slowly but not fluctuating like when I tried to diet. Not that any of this is easy. If it was, we would all be "beautiful people".

It can be done and I guess what I am trying to say is ... HANG IN THERE whoever is trying to get healthy!

Speaking of hanging in there ... try about 20 hanging leg raises instead of situps.

Gunny
12-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Sure. I'm there.

Jess
12-23-2011, 09:06 AM
My wife sells that kind of stuff and I tell her the same thing!

I am waiting for all this workout/diet stuff to kick in on the romance side but it just aint happenin! Like my kids say "You can't do anything about the ugly, Dad".

Y'know, some women look more on the inside than the outside. Somehow I doubt that you're "ugly" in either respect.

Of course, if you have lots of money, you can be ugly, look like Shamu, have walleye vision, halitosis, tourette's syndrome, mange, a bad toupe AND and ugly dog. You'll still have women swarming. Is that helpful? ;)

Gunny
12-23-2011, 09:10 AM

Hey ... I had to hump that f-ing 60. At least I didn't have to hump my own ammo though ....:laugh:

Gunny
12-23-2011, 09:15 AM
Yep, I know exactly what you mean. I was talking about the guys who went commando during training where you get a shower everyday, etc. I too did the PT thing in combat boots; heck I used to smoke while running (plt sgt bringing up the rear...heh). As I remember, when PT/first started becoming really important, there was no PT uniform except as you describe and the test consisted of things like run/dodge/jump and grenade throw (???). It was just stupid. On a side not, I always hated wading streams etc because of the leeches. There were leeches without crossing streams for cryin out loud. I hate leeches!

I've actually run the first mile and a half with a smoke hanging from my lips.:smoke: In boots. Uphill in 6" of snow. Both ways. Naked but for the boots. Carrying a twin .50.:laugh:

CSM
12-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Y'know, some women look more on the inside than the outside. Somehow I doubt that you're "ugly" in either respect.

Of course, if you have lots of money, you can be ugly, look like Shamu, have walleye vision, halitosis, tourette's syndrome, mange, a bad toupe AND and ugly dog. You'll still have women swarming. Is that helpful? ;)

You just described me perfectly (except for the money part)!!!!

CSM
12-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Speaking of hanging in there ... try about 20 hanging leg raises instead of situps.

Yep. That's one of the change up exercises. I like hollow rocks insted of plain old crunches too.

Jess
12-23-2011, 09:28 AM
You just described me perfectly (except for the money part)!!!!

Assuming you have enough to pay your bills and have internet, the money is negotiable.

How ugly is the dog?

CSM
12-23-2011, 09:31 AM
Assuming you have enough to pay your bills and have internet, the money is negotiable.

How ugly is the dog?

Debt free (finally!) and the dog is a longhaired Chihuahau with a napoleon complex. Meanest little thing I have ever seen on 4 legs. I don't know why but he seems to like me (wife's dog, supposedly) and hates everybody else.

CSM
12-23-2011, 09:32 AM
I've actually run the first mile and a half with a smoke hanging from my lips.:smoke: In boots. Uphill in 6" of snow. Both ways. Naked but for the boots. Carrying a twin .50.:laugh:

LOL! I always felt bad for the poor slug carrying the mortar baseplate. Fortunately that wasn' t me!

Jess
12-23-2011, 09:33 AM
Debt free (finally!) and the dog is a longhaired Chihuahau with a napoleon complex. Meanest little thing I have ever seen on 4 legs. I don't know why but he seems to like me (wife's dog, supposedly) and hates everybody else.

Hmmmm ... that could be tough to overcome. We could send Marvin (the resident fat-@ssed cat that I adopted a year ago) to give your dog an attitude adjustment. Marvin weighs probably 25+ lbs and thinks he rules the world.

CSM
12-23-2011, 09:41 AM
Hmmmm ... that could be tough to overcome. We could send Marvin (the resident fat-@ssed cat that I adopted a year ago) to give your dog an attitude adjustment. Marvin weighs probably 25+ lbs and thinks he rules the world.

Your cat weighs far more than the dog. That stupid dog attacked a St. Bernard last week and ran that bugger off. I doubt the cat would survive.

Jess
12-23-2011, 09:44 AM
Your cat weighs far more than the dog. That stupid dog attacked a St. Bernard last week and ran that bugger off. I doubt the cat would survive.

I dunno. The cat - even sans claws - can make the 6 yr. old Gunny Jr. cry. ;)

Gunny
12-23-2011, 10:47 AM

Damned jarheads.

Gaffer
12-23-2011, 05:31 PM
LOL! I always felt bad for the poor slug carrying the mortar baseplate. Fortunately that wasn' t me!

When the mortar platoon went out with us, which wasn't often, we had to lug their mortars.

And I hate leeches too. The water leeches were a foot to a foot and a half long and the ground leeches were over an inch. Got a picture of a water leech in my photo album for anyone interested.

Jess
12-23-2011, 08:38 PM
When the mortar platoon went out with us, which wasn't often, we had to lug their mortars.

And I hate leeches too. The water leeches were a foot to a foot and a half long and the ground leeches were over an inch. Got a picture of a water leech in my photo album for anyone interested.

EEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! That's disgusting!

Gaffer
12-23-2011, 09:26 PM

Just picture one of those things wrapping itself around your leg. Everything over there wanted to bite you, sting you, or suck your blood.

Jess
12-23-2011, 09:34 PM
Just picture one of those things wrapping itself around your leg. Everything over there wanted to bite you, sting you, or suck your blood.

My proverbial hat is off to you, sir. Very much so. :)

Kathianne
12-24-2011, 12:18 AM

I hate leeches too! Though not the monsters that Gaffer was addressing, when I was canoeing in Canadian/Minnesotan waters, we went swimming. I was 15 or so. Got out of the water and was covered with leeches. The guide lit matches by them to get them to drop off. Problem with one, well it was with bikini held together with silver O rings strategically placed. The leeches seemed to like those holes, so....

Gaffer
12-24-2011, 09:13 PM
I hate leeches too! Though not the monsters that Gaffer was addressing, when I was canoeing in Canadian/Minnesotan waters, we went swimming. I was 15 or so. Got out of the water and was covered with leeches. The guide lit matches by them to get them to drop off. Problem with one, well it was with bikini held together with silver O rings strategically placed. The leeches seemed to like those holes, so....

Sometimes necessity overcomes modesty. Kinda like the kids in Stand By Me.

Alexandro
01-18-2012, 02:57 AM
Man,according to recent research water and green tea is the best way to lose your weight.I took 8 to 12 glasses of water gradually and 2 to 3 cups of tea in day.Now i feel much difference in my weight.

OCA
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM

Jimmy, i've been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week since Thanksgiving before last. I want you to do me a favor....go to this link:http://www.amazon.com/Supermen-Building-Maximum-Lifetime-ebook/dp/B006OBAVIA

Buy this fucking book, this guy works out at my gym, in fact all 5 of those guys on the cover do ages 54-25 and they are ripped. I bought his book from him right inside the gym(Golds) and it has changed the game, you will find out that half the shit people do at the gym gets them nowhere and that you don't really need variety in your workouts.........just core muscle building exercises, no cheating and no skipping days.........and a sensible diet.

Spend the money, you won't regret it.

jimnyc
01-25-2012, 07:53 PM
Jimmy, i've been hitting the gym 4-5 times a week since Thanksgiving before last. I want you to do me a favor....go to this link:http://www.amazon.com/Supermen-Building-Maximum-Lifetime-ebook/dp/B006OBAVIA

Buy this fucking book, this guy works out at my gym, in fact all 5 of those guys on the cover do ages 54-25 and they are ripped. I bought his book from him right inside the gym(Golds) and it has changed the game, you will find out that half the shit people do at the gym gets them nowhere and that you don't really need variety in your workouts.........just core muscle building exercises, no cheating and no skipping days.........and a sensible diet.

Spend the money, you won't regret it.

How's about you mail me yours? LOL

I see they have a kindle version, I'll look into it. I believe the hype though, as one of the trainers at my gym told me the same thing, that all the fancy machines don't do much for you. He point blank said it was all about the core. He changed my exercise routine entirely and I'm seeing very good results, and half of them I can do at home! If I could find a way to lay off of the junk food, I'd be a good looking bastard instead of a fat bastard! LOL

OCA
01-25-2012, 08:27 PM
How's about you mail me yours? LOL

I see they have a kindle version, I'll look into it. I believe the hype though, as one of the trainers at my gym told me the same thing, that all the fancy machines don't do much for you. He point blank said it was all about the core. He changed my exercise routine entirely and I'm seeing very good results, and half of them I can do at home! If I could find a way to lay off of the junk food, I'd be a good looking bastard instead of a fat bastard! LOL

Not just about the core but everything else too, just dumbells, barbells and FUCK AN A HEAVY WEIGHTS! Presses, squats etc. etc. I started with him(i'm lifting with that gang now) about a month 1/2 ago and there has not been a day since where I don't have any soreness which is a good thing this early in the game I guess.

Its all condensed down, just a few core exercises done in different ways and you always change your reps and weights from workout to workout........best purchase I ever made!

CSM
01-26-2012, 09:56 AM
Not just about the core but everything else too, just dumbells, barbells and FUCK AN A HEAVY WEIGHTS! Presses, squats etc. etc. I started with him(i'm lifting with that gang now) about a month 1/2 ago and there has not been a day since where I don't have any soreness which is a good thing this early in the game I guess.

Its all condensed down, just a few core exercises done in different ways and you always change your reps and weights from workout to workout........best purchase I ever made!

Basically what I do as well. I really like the workouts (not necessarily while I'm soing them!) and that plus the crossfit is really working well for me.

OCA
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
Basically what I do as well. I really like the workouts (not necessarily while I'm soing them!) and that plus the crossfit is really working well for me.

Oh man! We got a few crossfit crazies at the gym! I see the benefits of it but it would kill me eventually. Got 1 kid who has somebody hold his legs up while he goes around the gym hand walking and then stops and does pushups to exhaustion, ouch!

CSM
01-27-2012, 07:58 AM
Oh man! We got a few crossfit crazies at the gym! I see the benefits of it but it would kill me eventually. Got 1 kid who has somebody hold his legs up while he goes around the gym hand walking and then stops and does pushups to exhaustion, ouch!

Crossfit is really tough at times but it has done wonders for my endurance and flexibility. It does help somewhat with the strength training as well. I haven't gotten to the headstand push up yet but I should be there soon.

OCA
01-27-2012, 03:50 PM
Crossfit is really tough at times but it has done wonders for my endurance and flexibility. It does help somewhat with the strength training as well. I haven't gotten to the headstand push up yet but I should be there soon.

Well good on ya!

gabosaurus
01-27-2012, 04:25 PM
In some areas of Asia, leeches are fried and served as a snack. Perhaps you can even get them from a vending machine.

ConHog
01-27-2012, 06:28 PM
I thought this thread was about Gunny's head. :lol: