PDA

View Full Version : Obama Takes A Step Too Far?

Kathianne
12-24-2011, 09:01 AM
The GOP was getting hammered on this bill, since they couldn't articulate to the people why they were against a short-term solution, they caved. Now it seems that Obama may be afflicted with the virus that has been effecting the republican primaries-snatching failure from the jaws of success.

Question is, will the GOP highlight?

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/201245-obama-says-he-wont-be-bound-by-guantanamo-gun-control-portions-of-omnibus

Obama says he's not bound by Guantanamo, gun-control provisions
By Erik Wasson - 12/23/11 04:19 PM ET

<input id="fm-c-and-w-article" value="201245" type="hidden"> <input id="fm-c-and-w-start" value="" type="hidden"> President Obama said Friday he will not be bound by at least 20 policy riders in the 2012 omnibus funding the government, including provisions pertaining to Guantanamo Bay and gun control.

After he signed the omnibus into law Friday, the White House released a concurrent signing statement saying Obama will object to portions of the legislation on constitutional grounds.
Signing statements are highly controversial, and their legality is disputed.

"I have advised the Congress that I will not construe these provisions as preventing me from fulfilling my constitutional responsibility to recommend to the Congress's consideration such measures as I shall judge necessary and expedient," Obama said in a statement as he signed the bill into law...

Some highlights of 'objections':

The signing statement says that on the issue of accused terrorist detainees, Obama will interpret and apply provisions that bar the transfer of detainees from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, "in a manner that avoids constitutional conflicts."

Obama also objected to Defense provisions in the bill that limit the president's ability to put troops under foreign command and require 30 days advance notice to Congress for any use of the military which would involve more than $100,000 in construction costs.

The president also objected to a section aimed at blocking health, climate, auto policy and urban affairs "czars" from being employed by the White House and a provision that bars health officials from advocating for gun control. The signing statement also objects to a portion of the omnibus that limits funding for the Copyright Office.

The statement also objects to numerous unnamed provisions in the bill that would require executive branch officials to clear everyday spending decisions with appropriators.

Of these extra conditions, Obama writes, "our spending decisions shall not be treated as dependent on the approval of congressional committees."

ConHog
12-24-2011, 10:27 AM
The GOP was getting hammered on this bill, since they couldn't articulate to the people why they were against a short-term solution, they caved. Now it seems that Obama may be afflicted with the virus that has been effecting the republican primaries-snatching failure from the jaws of success.

http://thehill.com/blogs/on-the-money/budget/201245-obama-says-he-wont-be-bound-by-guantanamo-gun-control-portions-of-omnibus

Gee here's a shocker The Obama doesn't think a law that he signed should apply to himself.

red states rule
12-24-2011, 11:04 AM

When pres Bush said this the liberal media and Dems went nuts

Now when Obama does it, all we hear is the sound of crickets chirping