PDA

View Full Version : What kids around the world feed Santa

Shadow
12-25-2011, 10:01 AM
As a child, did you ever wonder whether Santa got tired of eating (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) the same thing at each house he visited? Turns out, you needn’t have worried: though American and Canadian children leave out milk and cookies, the treats left out for him in other countries keep Santa’s night from being anything but monotonous. Here’s a look at what Santa (in whatever form he takes) can expect at houses around the world on Christmas eve.

Denmark
On Christmas Eve, Danish children leave out a bowl of special Christmas rice pudding called risengrød.The pudding is said to appease Tomte, a white-bearded mythical figure, similar to the English Father Christmas, who brings presents but has been known to cause household mischief if his requisite bowl of risengrød is missing.

Germany
In Germany, Santa can only satisfy his appetite for reading. Children there leave letters, not cookies, for Santa (who in Germany takes the form of Christkind, a white-robed, present-bearing figure from which “Kris Kringle” is derived). The letters are usually doused with glitter and attractively displayed on the windowsills. On Christmas morning, when the children wake up, the letters are gone, replaced by presents under the tree.

France
In France, children don’t leave cookies for the French Père Noël, but instead make sure to fill their shoes with carrots and treats for his donkey, Gui. Père Noël will remove the treats for the donkey and in their place leave small trinkets and tokens for the children.

Netherlands
Dutch children leave out carrots, hay and a bowl of water on Christmas Eve for Sinterklaas’ horse. Sinterklaas, in return, leaves hot chocolate, mandarin oranges, chocolate coins and marzipan figures. Not a bad trade.

More at link

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/12/23/9657411-what-kids-around-the-world-feed-santa

</STRONG></STRONG></STRONG></EM></STRONG></STRONG></STRONG>
</STRONG>

jimnyc
12-25-2011, 10:04 AM
That's cute, sometimes I think that we all have the same traditions, funny to see some of the others. Figures the French have Santa riding a donkey! LOL

red states rule
12-25-2011, 10:08 AM
I wonder if at the White House Santa had a huge plate of carrot sticks, an apple, and a glass of low fat milk waiting for him

Shadow
12-25-2011, 10:12 AM
That's cute, sometimes I think that we all have the same traditions, funny to see some of the others. Figures the French have Santa riding a donkey! LOL

And then by the time he leaves Britain,Australia and Ireland...he probably needs a designated driver :)

Shadow
12-25-2011, 10:13 AM
I wonder if at the White House Santa had a huge plate of carrot sticks, an apple, and a glass of low fat milk waiting for him

Or arugula.

red states rule
12-25-2011, 10:16 AM
Or arugula.

Or if Michelle was not around, perhaps Santa could have had a cheesburger with all the usual trimmings

and a quick smoke on his way back to the sleigh

Noir
12-25-2011, 10:55 AM
We leave out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa, and a few carrots for his rain deer beside the chimney, i assumed Americans did the same....

red states rule
12-25-2011, 10:59 AM
http://ihasahotdog.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/fb935951-b1af-4418-82b7-aa338d5cfbb3.jpg

Shadow
12-25-2011, 11:58 AM
We leave out a mince pie and glass of milk for Santa, and a few carrots for his rain deer beside the chimney, i assumed Americans did the same....

Cookies and milk for Santa...carrots and celery for the Easter Bunny. :)

logroller
12-25-2011, 12:59 PM
Kind of explains why American's version of Santa is more rotund.

Shadow
12-25-2011, 01:42 PM
Kind of explains why American's version of Santa is more rotund.

That's a very PC term...right up there with full-toned . Good on you for watching out for Santa's feelings ;)

Cut us Americans some slack here...Japan and chile feed him sponge cake ...And folks from India give him fried dough...suprised he hasn't had a coronary. :laugh:

logroller
12-25-2011, 04:41 PM
That's a very PC term...right up there with full-toned . Good on you for watching out for Santa's feelings ;)

Cut us Americans some slack here...Japan and chile feed him sponge cake ...And folks from India give him fried dough...suprised he hasn't had a coronary. :laugh:

To give credit where credit's due, Santa usually leaves a cookie or two.

logroller
12-25-2011, 04:43 PM

maybe some organic soy milk---Have a very vegan Christmas!

Jess
12-25-2011, 04:44 PM

That's just wrong! You are SO not getting any presents next year. 2866

logroller
12-25-2011, 05:09 PM
That's just wrong! You are SO not getting any presents next year. 2866

Sweet Smiley!!!! I've been on the naughty list for a while now. Upside is I'm flush with coal for the BBQ.:thumb:

Jess
12-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Sweet Smiley!!!! I've been on the naughty list for a while now. Upside is I'm flush with coal for the BBQ.:thumb:

Are you the reason Santa has a naughty list? Should have known. 2867

There's a whole thread somewhere here that has Christmas/holiday smilies.

Shadow
12-25-2011, 05:33 PM

At the rate our society is going...pretty soon nothing is going to be considered "naughty"...then what are ya gonna cook with?

BTW what time is the BBQ...we will be right over. :thumb:

Jess
12-25-2011, 05:37 PM
At the rate our society is going...pretty soon nothing is going to be considered "naughty"...then what are ya gonna cook with?

BTW what time is the BBQ...we will be right over. :thumb:

Yup. The kids are getting their showers now, we'll get ready and head over too. ;)

red states rule
12-26-2011, 06:08 AM

and watch the salt content in any food you set out for Santa, or you may get a vist from the Federal Food Police